Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: The one soundtrack when you knew you were hooked to Game Music

Final Fantasy IV
    Donkey Kong Country
    Super Mario World

Those are the three reasons why I'm listening to video game music today.

Xenogears

Onion Kid
    Nemo The Dream Master, Jaws, Friday the 13th and TMNT for NES. That was long ago, I used to bring a tape recorder to my friends house to record the game music.

Some people have mentioned FF VI, which was (and still is, like so many of us say) one of my favorites. Back when I was an absurdly dramatic teenager, running on hormones and caffeine, the Dark World theme seemed like an appropriate song for my life. Oy. Plus, I loved how catchy so much of the music was.

TMNT was an early favorite, too, but carried many bad associations with it because that game was impossible.

Onion Kid
    I've loved video game music about as long as I can remember. My faves when I was a kid were Sonic 1 & 2, Street Fighter II, Castlevania: Dracula X, Mega Man X, The Revenge of Shinobi, Zelda: OoT, and Streets of Rage, but the games that really got me into listening to the stuff outside of the context of actually playing the game were Super Smash Bros. Melee (by reminding me of all that great Nintendo music I grew up with, as well as introducing me to stuff I hadn't encountered), then Metroid Prime, and then Final Fantasy X.

Onion Kid
    I've always just been a lurker, but finally i was enticed to post.
    I have an obsession with both film and game soundtracks, hell practically have an external hard-drive dedicated to them lol.

But for game music it would probably have been three soundtracks simultaneously that got me into game music as a kid.

Legend of Zelda: a Link to the past - This one is just plagued with great game music, Especially the more subtle tracks like the dungeon music...super simple, but idk it just pulled me in.
    Jurassic park on snes - Just the one track, played in the mountain region..used to let grant just sit there for hours to hear the track while i was doing whatever else in my room.
    and my all time favorite game soundtrack: Super Metroid - emphasis on the track "Brinstar - red soil & swampy" just loved it, dark and moody.

I suppose it's safe to say that i am a bit of an snes fanboy.
    But film and video game music in general is some of, if not the best music out there, it blends so many genres and often times is much more intricate then anything else out there (obviously this wouldn't encompass classical music, but modern game and film music incorporates it so heavily, that it often rivals it).

I'm also a sucker for the Music in the Silent Hill series, Ended up doing my own renditions of about 30 or so tracks from the series total.

I love the Super Metroid soundtrack when playing the game, but I get impatient with the tracks when I'm listening to them by themselves. Anyone else feel that way? Is there anything really interesting going on in this soundtrack (except for maybe "Brinstar")?

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurgolden View Post
    I love the Super Metroid soundtrack when playing the game, but I get impatient with the tracks when I'm listening to them by themselves. Anyone else feel that way? Is there anything really interesting going on in this soundtrack (except for maybe "Brinstar")?
    well for me it has always made excellent wallpaper music while working, or painting ect. but that is soundtracks for me in general, I usually have a massive list of mixed ost's compiled based on mood...and for darker pieces, that brinstar track always makes the cut.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

My first love was The 7th Guest's soundtrack...and it's still giving me goosebumps everytime I listen to it. Even in MIDI format.

Man, that music keeps getting under my skin; so simple, yet so creepy. I just love it

Onion Kid
    I think I became a VGM fan after Saga Frontier 2.

Onion Kid
    An arcade game called Venture. Less than 20 total seconds of music. But it was, I think, the first video game to really have a musical atmosphere, and we're talking about a time period when I was discovering music as a whole, so...

Elite on the amiga. Super Mario world (Snes). And too many C64 games. Oh and SPYHUNTER

Shriner
    Probably Metroid Prime. I had acknowledged video game music up to the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox generation as decent, but I never really payed that much attention to them until Metroid Prime.

For me the SNES was the first system to really stand out music wise. I always liked the catchy tunes in older games, but the Square RPGs in particular really got me hooked.

Definitely Streets of Rage, That Attack of the Barbarian Theme is an all time fav

It was 1991 - I was young and it sounds great out of my Amiga
    everytime I played Lotus 2 and Turrican 2 / easy

I think it was Final Fantasy VIII when it finally hit me. After hearing 'Selphie's Concert 1 (Irish Jig)' and 'Eyes On Me,' that was all it took for me. Now, all I listen to is Square Enix music...and the occasional Zelda albums, if they're any good (TP is OSM!)

Shriner
    Metal Gear Solid for me.

Life for Final Fantasy FainaruFantaji's Avatar
    Silent Hill and Legend of Kyrandia, LoK was the first which really made to think of what`s playing, and Silent Hill was a blow-up, I downloaded all OSTs and CSTs of it and listened for months.

---
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    time waits for no one.

Totally Registered User Mad_Monkey's Avatar
    I am definitely into the Monkey Island Theme, I played Monkey Island I, II and IV (because III didn't work on my computer... still trying to fix the problem :P)
    and I found out it's free

Why think of all the bad things when life is so good?
    Why help with an am when theres always a could?
    Let the whales worry about the poisons in the sea
    Outside of california, its foreign policy.. NOFX

Soul Blade and Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

The cool guy with goggles Kurando Shintaba's Avatar
    Unlimited Saga and Megaman 8's soundtracks made me into what I am today: A VG music listener that can beat any and everyone at tetris!

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by freewhoppers View Post
    An arcade game called Venture. Less than 20 total seconds of music. But it was, I think, the first video game to really have a musical atmosphere, and we're talking about a time period when I was discovering music as a whole, so...
    Thanks for being there. I felt so old while reading this thread as I remember recording the musics from my Mattel Intellivion on a tape recorder to listen to them when I couldn't play (Snafu and BurgerTime were among the favorites)

Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Time splitters and Doom is all what got me hooked.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    -Albert Einstein