Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the best video game composer (list others besides Nobuo Uematsu or Koji Kondo)

kenji yamoto and kozumi totaka FTW!!

Divine Judgement, Strike Down Upon Thee... sholahthehealer's Avatar
    Grant Kirkhope
    Hideaki Kobayashi
    Kenji Yamamoto
    Motoi Sakuraba

Akira Yamaoka rules!!! XD

Nomaios
    Michiko Naruke, Masato Kouda, Kazuya Taniguchi !!! (Wild Arms Serie)

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by MathU View Post
    Manfred Linzner
    I would say Manfred Linzner reminds me of early Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Yoko Shimomura (Legend of Mana only, not Kingdom Hearts), Kenji Ito (Seiken Densetsu and Children of Mana), Toshiro Masuda (Naruto), and Michiru Yamane (Rocket Knight Adventures & Castlevania)

Onion Kid
    My favorites besides Nobou Uematsu has got to be Jeremy Soule(Guild Wars and The Elder Scrolls games) and of course Yasunori Mitsuda. Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is awesome!

Onion Kid
    My hands down favorite: The underappreciated Hiroki Kikuta for Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 and most spectaculary, Soukaigi. Find it. Download it. Get it. Soukaigi.

Yasunori Mitsuda is great with a great body of work. Through him I found Yoshitaka Hirota of Shadow Hearts acclaim. Hirota seems like a fusion of Mitsuda and Kikuta, while still maintaining his identity. Very exciting.

I never got on the Uematsu train. Some stuff is good but most (to me) is blahnd.

Jeremy Soule is holdin' it down for the west.

Yoko Shimomura is very good, but as someone said before, was at her best during Legend of Mana, IMHO.

Onion Kid
    Yoshito Hirano he did all of the new fire emblem game soundtracks.

Shriner
    Hideyuki Fukusawa is an upcoming composer to be reckon with. Loved his stuff from PS2 Chaos Legion after I heard his first anime OST Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto. Currently looking for his PS2 Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams OST. His style resembles stuff from the Devil May Cry series I would say.

Masashi Hamauzu works from the PSX Saga Frontier 2 and PS2 Unlimited Saga is something not to be trifled with either. You wouldn't believe how amazing he makes these subpar games feel (though I actually happen to be in the small minority who loves SF2 extremely). His collaboration/influence in some of the tracks in FFX were great too like Macalania Forest, Thunder Plains and Besaid Island though I don't think I was too impressed with the rest. His latest solo work was FF7: Dirge of Cerberus, and I think it was pretty grand too though I don't have much of an impression on his FF7oC works because I haven't played the game and haven't listened to it much yet.

Yasunori Mitsuda is very gifted when it comes to his diverse, multi-cultural stlye influences (though I vividly remember this particularly bad guitar piece in Chrono Cross for some strange reason). In terms of the number of styles I seen him able to use effectively, I suppose they're on the same scale as Yoko Kanno, known famously for some of her works in like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (don't forget her stuff for Sousei no Aquarion either). I really love his town themes and how culturally enriching they are especially Home Arni Village from Chrono Cross. It's been quite some time since I listened to his most recent works (specifically, Shadow Hearts), which I should garner a look I suppose if and when I remember to.

As for some composers like Yoko Shimomura and Motoi Sakuraba, they've been a hit and miss for me lately. Shimomura's Kingdom Heart series' OSTs didn't feel highly original since most of those pieces I recall were already timeless Disney classics (can't say the same for the Little Mermaid song ideas wherever they came from). Perhaps she'll demonstrate her hidden skills she kept locked away since Legend of Mana (It seems me and a few others also miss those times?). As for Sakuraba, his OSTs really have been a hit and miss for me, and I can't understand why. It's like I can have no middle ground with the man and I have no idea why I either completely hate one of his tracks and love yet another entirely. Sort of the same feeling I had when first listening to Shoji Memuro from Persona 3. I think Memuro's older Shin Megami Tensei OSTs were better though I can't say for sure absolutely what I think until I hear everything.

After hearing Assassin's creed..i say Jesper Kyd
    A man chooses; a slave obeys.-Andrew Ryan

Jeremy Soule and Michael Giacchino.

Onion Kid
    Besides Uematsu and Kondo, I especially like:
    - Motoi Sakuraba for the brilliant music of the Tales and Baten Kaitos series
    - Tsukasa Tawada for the console Pokémon games
    - Jeremy Soule for Oblivion and Unreal II (although I don't know what part of the soundtrack he composed)
    - Grant Kirkhope for Perfect Dark
    - Mahito Yokota for Super Mario Galaxy, which is IMO the best VGM to date.
    - Kenji Yamamoto for the Metroid series
    - Yoko Shimomura for the Mario RPGs
    - Yuzo Koshiro for his orchestral performances

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos, who composed the music for the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament.

My favorites are, in no particular order:

David Bergeaud (Ratchet and Clank series) - With the exception of Deadlocked and, to a lesser extent, Size Matters, the soundtracks for these games have been excellent, particularlly Up Your Arsenal. His mixture of instrumental synths and electronica is extremely unique and really makes him stand out among all videogame composers, both Western and Eastern.

Hitoshi Sakimoto (FFTactics, FFXII) - There is remarkable thematic depth and flow in his works that I feel is lacking among other videogame composers. FFXII, in particular, was a breath of fresh air after years of Uematsu because it felt much more like a cohesive accompaniment to the world of Ivalice and the themes of the main story than a compilation of character-themes, battle-themes, and event-themes like previous FF soundtracks.

Motoi Sakuraba (Star Ocean series, Eternal Sonata) - Sakuraba is the god of battle music, and his town and field music is none too shabby either. His music single-handedly saved Eternal Sonata from being a complete disappointment, and believe me when I say that the game is worth suffering though just for the soundtrack.

Ueda Masami, Yamaguchi Hiroshi, Kondoh Rei (Okami) - One of my favorite games of all time with quite possibly my favorite soundtrack, period. I'll admit that I haven't heard anything else from these composers, but this one soundtrack easily stands up to all the others I've mentioned, and I'm confident that any collaboration by these three in the future would be just as awesome.

Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Quest Series and spin offs cept swords
    Kenji Ito - SaGa Series and some FF games
    My Gaia [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest VIII, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy VII

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Yoko Shimomura (with the Legend of Mana soundtrack). End of story.
    I really, really adore that soundtrack.

Jumper

Onion Kid
    Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu

I'll have to go with Jeremy Soules and Frank Klepacki! My favourite composers of all time!

Jeremy Soule: Morrowind, Oblivion, Guild Wars, Giants:Citizen Kabuto, and i think he did Mass Effects music too.

Quote Originally Posted by dbsg View Post
    Hajime Wakai rules (F-zero X music)

I'm gunna have to go with Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger/Cross).

Onion Kid
    Motoi Sakuraba

Masaru Shiina (Tales of Legendia)

Hitoshi Sakamoto (FF Tactics)

From my blood comes my love valve's Avatar
    Paul Ruskay - Homeworld 1-2 Turok(2008)
    Kelly Bailey - Half life series
    Mooze - Warfare
    Jeehun Hwang - Apocalypse and alot others
    Jesper Kyd - Assassins Creed
    Hudson Soft Sound Team - Bomberman 64
    Mutato Muzika - Crash Bandicoot 1-3
    Hideki Okugawa,Marika Suzuki - Dead Rising
    Tetsuya Shibata - Devil May Cry 1-4
    Chris Vrenna, Clint Walsh - Doom 3
    Tommy Tallarico - Multiple OST's
    mike miller - Original Earthworm Jim composer
    Kenichiro Fukui - Einhänder
    Robin Beanland, Graeme Norgate - Killer Instinct (Snes)
    Jack Wall and Sam Hulick - Mass Effect
    Harry Gregson Williams - Metal Gear Ost's and the rock movie score
    Ellen Meijers-Gabriel - Oddworld Abe’s Exoddus & Abe's Oddysee
    Eric Nunamaker, Dave Rushton - Oddworld Adventures 2
    Tsutomu Fuzawa - Oddworld - Munch's Oddysee
    Michael Bross - Oddworld - Stranger's Wrath Original Soundtrack
    Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill series
    Spencer Nilsen, David Young - Sonic CD
    Neil Voss - Tetrisphere - The New Tetris
    Gustaf Grefberg - The Darkness
    Rik Schaffer and Womb Music - Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
    Bjorn Lynne - The Worms Series
    ZREO Team - Orchestrated versions of Zelda series Music

There are so many more in my list Game music has really changed my life I love it with every note and it will never die I have over 60 gigs of music and it keeps on racking up just cant stop listening if you have trouble finding any of the music i named msg me and ill be happy to give it to you

Quote Originally Posted by valve View Post
    Paul Ruskay - Homeworld 1-2 Turok(2008)
    Kelly Bailey - Half life series
    Mooze - Warfare
    Jeehun Hwang - Apocalypse and alot others
    Jesper Kyd - Assassins Creed
    Hudson Soft Sound Team - Bomberman 64
    Mutato Muzika - Crash Bandicoot 1-3
    Hideki Okugawa,Marika Suzuki - Dead Rising
    Tetsuya Shibata - Devil May Cry 1-4
    Chris Vrenna, Clint Walsh - Doom 3
    Tommy Tallarico - Multiple OST's
    mike miller - Original Earthworm Jim composer
    Kenichiro Fukui - Einhänder
    Robin Beanland, Graeme Norgate - Killer Instinct (Snes)
    Jack Wall and Sam Hulick - Mass Effect
    Harry Gregson Williams - Metal Gear Ost's and the rock movie score
    Ellen Meijers-Gabriel - Oddworld Abe’s Exoddus & Abe's Oddysee
    Eric Nunamaker, Dave Rushton - Oddworld Adventures 2
    Tsutomu Fuzawa - Oddworld - Munch's Oddysee
    Michael Bross - Oddworld - Stranger's Wrath Original Soundtrack
    Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill series
    Spencer Nilsen, David Young - Sonic CD
    Neil Voss - Tetrisphere - The New Tetris
    Gustaf Grefberg - The Darkness
    Rik Schaffer and Womb Music - Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
    Bjorn Lynne - The Worms Series
    ZREO Team - Orchestrated versions of Zelda series Music

There are so many more in my list Game music has really changed my life I love it with every note and it will never die I have over 60 gigs of music and it keeps on racking up just cant stop listening if you have trouble finding any of the music i named msg me and ill be happy to give it to you
    60 gigs! :O That's nuts. But yeah, game music really is the best, if you ask me. It's unlike anything else this world's got to offer.

I think I've posted here already, but anyway.......

1. Graeme Norgate (The TimeSplitters series, and some parts of GoldenEye N64). My line for him is: Graeme Norgate is God. Obey him or else.
    2. Akira Satou (Raiden / Raiden II tracks, can sometimes be repetitive, but his spark created many remixes and tributes which were also awesome, not to mention inspiration for me on my game creating)
    3. Jeremy Soule (He was responsible for the Music in Total Annihilation, which was very fitting for the game. Great stuff.)

Inon Zur - Crysis
    Jeremy Soule - Supreme Commander
    Frank Kelpacki - Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge, Universe at war
    Yoko Shimomura - Kingdom Hearts II
    SSB X Sound Team - Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    Paul Linford - Need For Speed Most Wanted Original Score
    Trevor Morris - Need For Speed Carbon Original Score
    Martin O' Donnell - Halo Series
    Tadashi Ikegami, Shogo Sakai, Takuto Kitsuta, Hirokazu Ando - Super Smash Brothers Melee