Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the best video game composer (list others besides Nobuo Uematsu or Koji Kondo)

Onion Kid
    Yasunori Mitsuda and Motoi Sakuraba deserve the top spots with Koji Kondo and Nobuo Uematsu for sure...

But I'm surprised no one listed Noriyuki Iwadare of Grandia fame. I love Grandia music.

David Wise is also awesome!

Someone I also love from the Nintendo gang is Kazumi Totaka. He's done games like Mario Paint, Animal Crossing, Wave Race, Wii Sports, Pikmin 2... He also loves to hide his special song in games he composes the music for. It's like he's leaving his mark hidden in those games. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Shriner
    Chris Hülsbeck (spelled Huelsbeck in some games)

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmir View Post
    Tim & Geoff Follin. 'Nuff said.
    Good stuff.

Manfred Linzner - Iridion, his arranged soundtrack rocks so much!
    Frank Klepacki - C&C, [random praise].
    Graeme Norgate - TimeSplitters, weird but good. GoldenEye is pretty good too.
    Grant Kirkhope - Banjo series, even weirder but still good.
    Kenji Yamamoto - Metroid Prime, on it's own the soundtrack isn't that good, but it fits so perfectly with the game.
    Eveline Fischer - Donkey Kong Country 1 & 3, she's better than David Wise I think.
    Kinuyo Yamashita - Castlevania 1, best 8-bit soundtrack out there.
    Mahito Yokota - Super Mario Galaxy, he is in the shadow of Koji Kondo, but still really good.
    Ambassadors Of Funk, not really video game composers, but their Compact Disco remix of the Mario tunes are some real fun.

And of course all the Castlevania composers and a lot of the SSBB team.

I'd have to go with Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter II), Harry Gregson-Williams and Stephen Barton (Call of Duty 4), Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill series), Tom Salta (Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2), and Masami Ueda (Resident Evil 2).

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
    I'd have to go with Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter II), Harry Gregson-Williams and Samuel Barton (Call of Duty 4), Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill series), Tom Salta (Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2), and Masami Ueda (Resident Evil 2).
    I didn't know that there was another person who worked Call of Duty 4.

martin o` donnel
    (halo Series)
    This Guy He`s unfucking beleaveble" - Vince Magnotta From Ripper

Onion Kid
    Wow, it took 10 pages (unless I read too fast) for Marty O'Donnel to be mentioned? Good job, IHatechocobo. I don't know what the rest of you think, but he's certainly done a lot with the Halo series. I'm not a huge fan of the games themselves (I prefer their storyline, along with the many books), but the music is absolutely amazing. And the main theme is instantly recognizable. His soundtracks, although not super deep, are still a work of art.

Kevin Riepl did an excellent job with Unreal Tournament 2004. I have a couple of his songs from that game, and they're really cool too.

michiru yamane is amazing!,david bergeaud is a genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmir View Post
    Tim & Geoff Follin. 'Nuff said.
    Very much agree with you there, Tim Follin's work on Ecco the dolphin: Defender of the Future was absolutely awesome! Have any of you ever heard his unused song for that game? I found it on his website. Listen to this: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Pretty awesome music if you ask me.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

i think japanese composers have american composers beat in video games
    at least,anyway!

professional sun praiser ROKUSHO's Avatar
    yasunori mitsuda, no questions asked.

besides kondo and uematsu, he is the only other i truly know.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    many of my posts are paid for by the department of redundancy deparment's payment
    as of recently and for the rest of winter, expect many typos. my hands are freezing during the night
    #gamefaqssupportswomenbeaters

Grand Shriner
    Motoi Sakuraba.

Jesper Kyd (Hitman series, Assassin's Creed)
    Stephane Picq (Lost Eden)
    Kouhei Tanaka (Alundra)
    Reijiro Koroku (Kessen)

Onion Kid
    just wondering, does great game composers only come from Japan (ie: the japanese) & U.S (ie: Americans, ie: harry gregson williams, etc) , and not from ANY other country, for example: Korea , CHINA, India ?

anybody knows why is this?..

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    just wondering, does great game composers only come from Japan (ie: the japanese) & U.S (ie: Americans, ie: harry gregson williams, etc) , and not from ANY other country, for example: Korea , CHINA, India ?

The US and Japan are currently the most dominant countries in the video game industry. They are prolific and command large budgets to boot (including things related to production values such as music). Europe, however, is keeping up in the video game industry. Ubisoft, which is headquartered in France, is one that most people are familiar with. I'm quite sure there are some good video game composers outside the US and Japan, but the games that they are associated with have not recieved as much exposure worldwide, thus don't enjoy the recognition they may deserve.

One of the composers,I named on the topic, Stephane Picq, is French. He no longer composes music for video games though.

David Wise FTW! Diddy Kong Racing's musical genious has yet to be matched. : )

Martin O' Donnell(Halo 1,2,3)

Yasunori Mitsuda is by far the most skilled, melodic, varied, and awe-inspiring. One can feel the love he puts into each note. I can't put any composer near his level but Youko Kanno.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Yoshitaka Hirota, the composer for Shadow hearts and Shadow Hearts 2. Very original and creative.
    Long live Yasunori Mitsuda.

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post

Harry Gregson-Williams is british.

And responding to your question: because only 1st world contries can have creative people actually make a living out of art(this includes music composition).

Onion Kid
    my personal favorite is Hotoshi Sakimoto. He has done an excellent job on final fantasy XII's and Final Fantasy Tactics' (including advance 2) soundtracks

Grand Shriner
    Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill 0,1,2,3,4)

Onion Kid
    Hitoshi Sakimoto.
    Incredible composer, one of the few that has a sound which you can't find anywhere else.

Onion Kid

Thumbs up best VG composers

Kelly Bailey (Half-Life 1+2), Alexander Brandon (Deus Ex), Eric Chevalier (Rayman 2), and Autopilot (Descent 3)

Hideki Naganuma is my all-time favorite.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lijik View Post
    Hideki Naganuma is my all-time favorite.
    What has he done? Not familiar with the name