Page 1 of 23 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Do people think you are crazy for loving video game music?

Do people think you are crazy for loving video game music?

Maybe not "crazy" but I alone among my friends share this dementia and love for game music. I have friends that like games MORE than I do but couldn't give two figs for the music. I am amazed at that mindset. I guess it takes a certain type of sensibility to be able to appreciate this brand of music.

I guess partly we are here because we like to reminice to a degree over the music we remember or want to feel even closer to the games (which is scary) BUT even beyond all that I geniunely LOVE the vibe created by each platform and series. I love the N64 wonkiness right along with my Sonic the Hedgehog shredfests. I love how each area of gaming has such a different flavor; in fact game music is among my favorite and in fact currently is about all I listen to.

I do find it weird (somewhat) that soundtracks aren't made more readily available; there is a bonafide market here just waiting to be tapped. Why there isn't a Zelda Greatest Hits or Jet Moto Tracks available in the cd area at Best Buy is truly beyond me...

Yes, they do. They have no idea of the world of music they're missing out on, and all because it's not mainstream music. They give you this strange look when you're actually enjoying the music to something like Sonic Adventures (all) or Final Fantasy or even music that sounds like something similar to what they already listen to, they just wright it off because it's from a video game, that to me is what's crazy.

What I do now is when someone hears me listen to this music I don't tell them that it's from a video game until after I get their REAL opinion of it, and by then they're already interested in it; it's quite effective.

Anyway I'll keep enjoying what I enjoy and leave others to make their own decision, just minus the criticism toward me.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    yeah. i never even talk about it with them.

my friend plays ffx for the high scores, he maxes out every character with 255 and takes on penance.

but he doesn't even know the storyline. and he says the music is annoying.

well, i think levelling up the sphere grid 7 times over is a tad bit more annoying than listening to any music.

No, they don't. The VG Music isn't a bad thing.
    The VG Music isn't always the music that everyone listen to, they prefer the rap, the rock, the recents songs, etc ...
    The Film Music is also not a popular thing that everyone listen to.

LOL i was playing Ghost Recon he other day and my dad was wondering why i was playing with SFX off.

I know exactly what everyone here speaks about... Of the people around me no one understands the music I listen to, if it's not something that sounds like mainstream pop or rock, and even then they blame the music for being boring because it doesn't contain any lyrics. (I wrote some about this subject on lastfm, see my sig). People seem to think that an instrumental piece is not 'music', just 'sounds', that a melody in itself cannot speak. I listen to game music, symphonic rock, movie scores, death metal, classical, techno arrangements of classical pieces, hard rock arrangements of game music, orchestral arrangements of game music, weird avant-garde metal, heck, I even have four cd:s with only music from the Australia Fair Grand Concert Street Organ, which basically sounds like a merry-go-round ride. And people accuse me of having a narrow taste in music. Bah.

On the other hand, if the music you really enjoy could be easily found in the nearest store, would you enjoy it as much? Because everyone wants to be unique; people like us put a certain pride in not touching anything that is even close to mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by teblad View Post

On the other hand, if the music you really enjoy could be easily found in the nearest store, would you enjoy it as much? Because everyone wants to be unique; people like us put a certain pride in not touching anything that is even close to mainstream.
    This could be taken as elitist though. I do not like this music BECAUSE it's hard to find and I don't avoid the mainstream TO be different, it all just sort of works out that way. I do think though you have a point in that maybe we wouldn't "value it" as much if Best Buy stocked it, but I'd still love it... and my friends would still hate it

In parallel news; I made a cd for my boss.. it contained some mainstream stuff (Plain White T's etc.) but I ended it with a Joe Satriani song (he's a guitar instrumentalist) and later my boss said; "I loved all the songs, even the guitar song.. well, I don't know if it's a song because it didn't have words....."

I felt like fainting!

This may seem elitist but in response to Jemeela, I think we are the next evolution of gamer; we don't care about HI scores or leader boards but for the experience and the music

Everybody knows the game Okami, right? I simply love that music, but no one knows that I listen to it. If some friends should hear I listen to that music, I'd become very unpopular. About 2 years ago, someone heard me listening to a Zelda tune, and he said to me I'm silly for listening to that kind of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunvalkyrie4Life
    in fact game music is among my favorite and in fact currently is about all I listen to.
    I'm pretty much the same way. Ever since I started listening to video game music it's the only music I listen too. I've never heard a Final Fantasy song until about four months ago and now it's among my favorite music to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by teblad
    People seem to think that an instrumental piece is not 'music', just 'sounds', that a melody in itself cannot speak.
    Yup, that's the same here. It's strange because some of my friends like jazz music (new age) which has no lyrics at all yet they're completely opposed to video game music, very strange indeed. Have you noticed In some magazines every year or so people can vote for which video game has the best music, which games come on top? Tony Hawk's Pro Skater or Need for Speed underground - games that feature mostly mainstream music.

Anyway this is an interesting thread, let's hope it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunvalkyrie4Life View Post
    This could be taken as elitist though. I do not like this music BECAUSE it's hard to find and I don't avoid the mainstream TO be different, it all just sort of works out that way. I do think though you have a point in that maybe we wouldn't "value it" as much if Best Buy stocked it, but I'd still love it... and my friends would still hate it
    You're right. I didn't mean that we love a certain kind of music because it is hard to find, only that if Best Buy stocked it it would suddenly not be entirely as interesting anymore, as you said.

I guess that while my taste in music has evolved and I have started to collect weirder and weirder stuff, the negative views (on game music and the like) of the people around me has gradually made me see an unusual musical taste as part of my personality and image. This in turn has meant that I automatically reject mainstream music, as it does not fit into the image of myself i want to convey to the world - one thing leads to another. I think this can apply to many others here as well.

I'm not trying to say that we're not listening to our music simply because we think it is GREAT MUSIC, of course. I'm only discussing a factor.

Celestial Painter
    Quote Originally Posted by Okikurmi2520 View Post
    Everybody knows the game Okami, right? I simply love that music, but no one knows that I listen to it. If some friends should hear I listen to that music, I'd become very unpopular. About 2 years ago, someone heard me listening to a Zelda tune, and he said to me I'm silly for listening to that kind of music.
    Hey, more power to you. Most of the music on my iPod is game music and the Okami OST is probably one of the most played things on there. (I especially like the boss extermination tracks, i.e. Orochi and the Ninetails songs) Masami Ueda is amazing, but anyway, there's no shame in it. You like what you like and who cares what people think. I'm not giving up my game music for anyone. ^^;

You're right. I didn't mean that we love a certain kind of music because it is hard to find, only that if Best Buy stocked it it would suddenly not be entirely as interesting anymore, as you said.

I guess that while my taste in music has evolved and I have started to collect weirder and weirder stuff, the negative views (on game music and the like) of the people around me has gradually made me see an unusual musical taste as part of my personality and image. This in turn has meant that I automatically reject mainstream music, as it does not fit into the image of myself i want to convey to the world - one thing leads to another. I think this can apply to many others here as well.

I'm not trying to say that we're not listening to our music simply because we think it is GREAT MUSIC, of course. I'm only discussing a factor.
    Ahh Great points. I knew you had that in you

Actually no. Everyone around me loves video game music. My fiancee, his friends, my mom and dad. Plus, all my friends before I graduated from high school loved it too. Guess, I live in a crazy place then.

Quote Originally Posted by zen sakura View Post
    Actually no. Everyone around me loves video game music. My fiancee, his friends, my mom and dad. Plus, all my friends before I graduated from high school loved it too. Guess, I live in a crazy place then.

nice little world you live in there. I have game music in my ipod, when ppl ask what im listening to during school i reply a soundtrack from so and so game and they give me this awed look of disbelief -.-

Dust Man
    Yes, they do. Not that I care; after all, it doesn't make me enjoy the music any less. I find it crazier that they can't listen to a song first to see if they honestly like it or not, regardless of its origins.

Quote Originally Posted by luminousshadow11 View Post
    Hey, more power to you. Most of the music on my iPod is game music and the Okami OST is probably one of the most played things on there. (I especially like the boss extermination tracks, i.e. Orochi and the Ninetails songs) Masami Ueda is amazing, but anyway, there's no shame in it. You like what you like and who cares what people think. I'm not giving up my game music for anyone. ^^;
    Sure, they can say what they want, VG music can be great ^_^.

Grand Shriner
    yeah, but everyone knows that I'm just weird lol

I have a friend who likes anything 'hardcore', even from games (mostly from games he's actually played though, like Tenchu, Devil May Cry series etc. etc.) though again he's into maintstream. oddly, he doesn't mind super mario allstars music o_o

most game music and film osts can create a nice mood, or get you feeling hyper, some soundtracks even make me cry (the current saddest song I ever listen to now is theme of sadness from neverending story OST). I draw a lot, so instrumental music helps me, and video game music in general I find is the best source of inspiration. I dislike most songs with lyrics because the image you get from them will always be the same due to fixed lyrics, but if your seeking inspo for art/writing, instrumental music can go any which way you choose because it isn't restricted to lyrics. if a song has words, I end up focusing too much on the words and not the song (unless it's a melody that shines through that then...)

Onion Kid
    Haha, I feel for you guys. No one around here listens to video game music like I do.. I have a great taste in music too and listen to stuff in most all the genres as well as from around the world (and japan xD). But it's funny.. what really gets my friends is when I have a midi of a video game song playing rather than the actual song.. and on repeat. xD I love midi! But yeah at times I'll just have like resident evil 1 save room music playing on repeat for hours in my room.. you can really get the feel of a game through the music.

I live in a mesh of both environments. Although some of the people I know find it strange that I listen to video game and anime soundtracks, more of my friends share this passion (or far surpass it.) I'm a student at a rather nerdy school though, so I suppose it makes sense.

I don't have a preference to where my music comes from. Games and anime, to me, oftentimes have very good soundtracks, and it is a shame that many people cannot look past the stereotypes. However, I tend to avoid modern American mainstream music because I don't find much of it appealing, so other people might say the same thing about me.

HOLY CHICKEN STRIPS BATMAN Safer Roco's Avatar
    People seem to think that an instrumental piece is not 'music', just 'sounds', that a melody in itself cannot speak.
    I had that experience a few days back. me and my friends were hanging out listening to music so I popped in my FFVI OST and put dancing mad on after the song ended they said it was boring because it had no lyrics and I was sorta shocked.

but thats sort of the mentality most non gamers get "oh its just a game who cares about the music". when a lot of the music is better than most mainstream music. but I do listen to a bunch on mainstream music but listen to VG music more.
    ummm moo?

Onion Kid
    Think about it, ALL music that is on the big radio stations (i'll take Radio 1 as an example being in the UK) has vocals in it.. if it is dance music it will most likely have some sort of vocal sample in it if not a proper vocal.

People dont generally listen to instrumental music.. im talking about mainstream, stuff on this forum clearly aint mainstream and 99%+ of ppl on this forum probably enjoy alot of instrumental music, as do I, in fact only 2% of my collection probably has vocals in it. 99%+ of music on the most popular radio stations is vocal.. most people just dont understand music with no vocals... >_>

I get a lot of crap from people since I'm a black person. They want to know if i think I'm white or japanese or 'uppity'. It irritates the fuck outta me. No one realizes just how good this music truly is!

Cake eater
    Well I'm a girl, I get weird look just from playing video games~ (at least in these parts) so I don't mind. I don't usually talk about my musical preferences though...cause I really just listen to everything. I like classical, vg, rap, rock, and ....everything but pop...people usually just leave me alone when it comes to music ^_^.

How many of you here have last.fm accounts? We could create a 'ffshrine' group.