Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Dubs

Hmmm Some of the best I've seen would be

Fruits Basket
    Inuyasha
    Cowboy Bebop

The Worst

Love Hina

I don't like to watch dubs as I prefer to hear the original Japanese voice acting, but of the few titles that I HAVE seen dubbed, I'd have to say Cowboy Bebop is among the best. As for worst, probably Slayers (referring to CPM's if FUNi redubbed it).
    My: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Sites: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ft. [Hidden link. Register to see links.] box designs.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    Congratulations. You are now a card-carrying member of the Moron Club. As a member of the MC, you are entitled to certain "benefits," including mockery and disdainful glares from all the more sensible members of the community.
    I dont think you should talk

Shriner
    Rumbling Hearts had an awesome dub cast. It seemed to catch the emotions of the characters better than most animes I've seen in a while.

The Worst?.... Love Hina. The dub butchered an already bad anime adaptation to a spectacular manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos0034 View Post
    Rumbling Hearts had an awesome dub cast. It seemed to catch the emotions of the characters better than most animes I've seen in a while.

The Worst?.... Love Hina. The dub butchered an already bad anime adaptation to a spectacular manga.
    Ooh I couldn't agree more ! "an already bad anime adaptation" It was pretty bad ; ; actually it was the worst >_<

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by remblue View Post
    Ooh I couldn't agree more ! "an already bad anime adaptation" It was pretty bad ; ; actually it was the worst >_<
    And even as I say that, I actually watched it with my little sister yesterday. I may think it's bad but she seems to like it. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if they had kept it true to the spirit of the manga (And I don't mean the ecchi stuff), had a better dub cast (I swear, the characters in the dub all sound like they don't even have a GED! And they want to get into Tokyo U?), and didn't trail off into places it shouldn't have. I could go on and on about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos0034 View Post
    And even as I say that, I actually watched it with my little sister yesterday. I may think it's bad but she seems to like it. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if they had kept it true to the spirit of the manga (And I don't mean the ecchi stuff), had a better dub cast (I swear, the characters in the dub all sound like they don't even have a GED! And they want to get into Tokyo U?), and didn't trail off into places it shouldn't have. I could go on and on about it.
    LOL here's the worst part though >_> I own it >_<

I bought it before I watched it lol last time I do that

okay ill have everyone in this thread agree with my right now.
    Worst dub ever to come from an anime, EVER.

DBZ - King cold.
    Descend, Heartless Angel.

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by remblue View Post
    LOL here's the worst part though >_> I own it >_<

I bought it before I watched it lol last time I do that
    Well I do too... sorta :P

I bought a not-so-legal version of it on ebay so it's not a HUGE loss I suppose...

Onion Kid
    My favourite dubs are:
    -Cowboy Bebop
    -Ghost in the shell: SAC (season 1 and 2)
    -Azumanga Daioh
    -School rumble (Tenma's voice is spot on and is better than her japanese counterpart; same deal with Harima)
    -Shin Chan

I'm not going to bother listing bad dubs, there too many.

Knight who says NI!!! the mutant dude's Avatar
    A couple of the best dubs (IMO) are:
    Ghost in the Shell:SAC (gigs 1 & 2 and Solid State Society
    Ninja Scroll: The Series
    Howl's Moving Castle

Bad dubs for me were:
    Appleseed (Exmachina was a lot better)
    Castle of Cagliostro
    the mutant dude

"Yo mama so fat, Jabba the Hutt said DAAAAHHMM!" - Robot Chicken: Starwars special

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentre View Post
    Best Dubbed:

Naruto (Where did they find Orochimaru? In the beginning, I hated Naruto's voice. I'm okay with it now, but I'm still recovering.)
    haha. I havent heard the naruto dub yet, but Orochimarus voice fit so much in the original. It was so freaky/pervy and i dont know what to expect. I think i'm going to check it out now, just for the lulz.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop is among the best as far as dubs go. Hell, Big O was half decent in some parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    I fucking lol'd. A lot.
    ...How can people like the American dub of Advent Children? Granted, the movie itself was shitty, but to like the American dub on top of that?

Grand Shriner
    Shows with an Amazing Dub?

Cowboy Bebop Obviously.

Baccano's Dub is fantastic. As is Mushi-Shi, Gurren Lagann, DeathNote, One Piece (FUNi), and Pani Poni Dash. All of those are fantastic.

I believe that the quality of Dubs now-a-days have gotten much better. But there are always some sub-par ones.

Grand Shriner
    Generally, I have found that...now adays at-least, the best dubs come out of Texas. That's most stuff from Funimation (FMA, new One Piece re-dub, Ouran, Darker than Black), and some from ADV (Full Metal Panic, Excel Saga, Evangelion) (though there are exceptions to this rule).

New York (4Kids & CPM) spits out crap most of the time (original One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, Slayers) (although I really did enjoy the original Pokemon dub).

Vancouver (Ocean Group) is hit and miss with dubs. Death Note was ok, but they produce lots of unsavory stuff too.

And most everything else comes out of LA...and is CRAP frankly. Most is done through Bang-Zoom and Viz. Even their best cast dub, Gurren Lagann, truly makes the ears bleed compared to the Japanese (I swear my friend and I couldn't bear to watch more than an episode or so of it). Naruto's dub is horrid. Bleach's is just as bad. And everything else from there is down-hill from that. The only exception are a few older titles (Cowboy Bebop mainly).

So next time you look at a dub, look at the label on the box, the director, and the cast so you can determine the company and the city you'll be hearing.

Onion Kid
    Yeah Funimation generally makes good dubs, I'm not too familiar with the other dubbing companies though...

Onion Kid
    Good Dubs, most of which have probably been mentioned
    Cowboy Bebop
    FLCL
    Ghost in the Shell both SAC and the movie
    Berserk, if only for the outtakes
    Trigun

Pretty much all the anime I started on was on TV and dubed. I've never bought any for myself or anyone else until recently so I was never exposed to the hole sub vs. dub thing so I have no "subs only anything else is garbage" or "I can't understand non-English need dubs" view on things.

I DO think that most of the time the original Japanese voice work is best but that doesnít mean the English dubs canít have a certain charm to them. Like Tenchi, pretty cornball but even without nostalgia itís still charming.

Or like how English Gendo is actually more interesting and nuanced and how Misatoís actress did improve as the show went on.

And then thereís Kenshin, the dub is often way to cheesy at times but the fact that Kenshin sounds like a girl in Japanese pretty much kills the hole Jekyll/Hyde aspect of him.

As for what I think has the best english voice cast it's got to be FLCL.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Misu View Post
    <3 Guys, take note of this. Tom knows how to talk to the ladies. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by cuckoo77 View Post
    I think Neg disqualified jesus and love though.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Best dub:Angel Cop. Fuck anyone who disagrees with this.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Best:
    Cowboy Bebop
    Tenchi Muyo
    Outlaw Star
    Crest/Banner of the Stars
    --------IDK--------

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanis_lionheart View Post
    Best:
    Crest/Banner of the Stars
    You're insane. The dub on that show was unbearably bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfire sidewalk View Post
    You're insane. The dub on that show was unbearably bad.
    Wasn't the voice for the space elf girl the same as Dorthy R. Wainwright's?

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    No Lafiel was voiced by 'Jessica Yow (I have no idea who she is).

Maybe it's just nostalgia or my inner fanboy for the series.

Same goes for 'Escaflowne'.

Fooly Cooly
    Eureka 7
    Cowboy Bebop
    !!

Specifying: They're the best!