Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Dubs

Bleacher, Narutard, Alchemist, you name it! HitsuHina101's Avatar

Red face My opinion

I don't care what you people say, I like the Naruto dub!! My favorites are Bleach, Fullmetal, and Naruto. I don't see enough other shows to have a good opinion, but I also liked the Card Captors dub, Samurai Champloo, and Cowboy Bebop.

Sailor Moon is so horrific to me that I don't care what the original sounded like. Poke'mon wasn't very good, and Sonic X is probably my worst.
    HitsuHina, EdWin, SasuSaku, NaruHina, GinRan, IchiRuki, Royai, NaruSaku =

Bleach, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, And Naruto those are my picks for the best

Love Hina? Dear God That Was Awful!
    I Object!

Silent Shriner #0
    I really wouldn't mind if Initial D only dubbed the voices to make it English, but they took out the Eurobeat music as well and put in some crappy ass hip hop shit and horrible rock. They have orchestrated music as well, but only a few of them were good. They should've kept the music the same and only dubbed the voices.

Best: I'm rather fond of Gankutsuou and Le Portrait De Petit Cossette. Escaflowne was fairly decent as well.

Worst: HOMG SAILOR MOON. Usagi's voice was terrible. Ugh.

It's not really an anime (it does have anime cut-scenes)
    but Persona 3 has one of the best dubs I've ever heard.

Some of the best dubbed anime series in my opinion are Naruto, Inuyasha, and a few others that I can't think of.

The worst dubbed anime is anything dubbed by 4Kids Entertainment. They just stink at dubbing. Only once or twice have they kept anything intact, which is very rare.

For the people saying the Sailor Moon dub is the worst, I have to disagree. I liked some of the background music compared to the Japanese (the DiC dubbed seasons anyway). As for the Cloverway dubbed seasons (S and SuperS) although they tried to keep most of the story intact, and the music intact, I have to agree that Usagi's voice was horrible.

Onion Kid
    One Piece is the worst butchering job done to any anime i've ever seen. And i've seen a lot of bad dubs.

Escaflowne Dub sucked balls, and the old Akira (not the remastered one)

The best will always be Cowboy Bebop, even the french guys on the movie were good!
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Onion Kid
    Naruto.
    All your base are belong to us!!

professional sun praiser ROKUSHO's Avatar
    well, if its language dubbing, latinamerica (specially mexico) has THE best dubs EVER.

worst dubs? its a tie between spain and USA, the two are fighting HARD to obtain the title of worst dub.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    many of my posts are paid for by the department of redundancy deparment's payment
    as of recently and for the rest of winter, expect many typos. my hands are freezing during the night
    #gamefaqssupportswomenbeaters

comedy anime isn't dubbed well at all me thinks

they absolutely fail to capture the essence of the jokes...due to regionalization i suppose (is that a word?)....so i dunno if this can really be remedied any other way besides viewing the subs

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    That's pretty dumb, considering that most jokes that won't translate well in dubs wind up being pretty lame in subs also, due simply to the fact that there has to be three lines of text on screen explaining the cultural significance of the gag in question, totally killing any potential humor.

Marceline
    Eh, I really enjoy seeing jokes explained. I love it when fansub groups do little "pop-ups" at the top so that I can get the original reference. I definitely don't mind learning more about something, and I don't usually find changed cultural jokes very funny.

It's really not that relevant to this though, since when it comes to licensed stuff, things hardly ever get explanations included (I do see it a lot with manga, though).

Righful owner of the matrix jewess crabcake's Avatar
    yeah that whole (Note:...etc.) thing is great.

You own a Xbox 360? Join the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] today!

Onion Kid

Arrow

Hrm. Cowboy bebop was well done. FLCL was disappointing.. the male dubbing voices were excellent I'd have to say, but they did the females all wrong (Haruko, Mamimi, etc.). Bleach is actually pretty good too. Putting my detest for the coined term "soul reapers" aside I think they were spot on with the voices. Samurai Chemploo was pretty good as well. Hmm..Worst dubbing.. I'd say One piece. 4kids have no talented actors in their agency and I'm sure everyone knows it. All older anime that was dubbed back in the day wasn't very good either. Too bad we can't talk about Video game dubs.

Would you like to see my mask? Nightowl9910's Avatar
    Best done english dubs I've come across so far would probably have to include Blood: The Last Vampire, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Wolf's Rain, Howls Moving Castle.

As for the worst. It'd probably have to be Yu-Gi-Oh.
    Dr Crane isn't here right now, but if you'd like to make an appointment....

For sale by owner. legionnaireone's Avatar
    Best:
    - At least 1/2 of the Miyazaki films.

Worst:
    - Robotech...even though I loved the show and I still do to this day.
    - Naruto, especially while he's still a kid.
    "Standards and practices? What are standards and practices?"

PAH-TAY!
    The only anime where I would watch the Dub over a subtitled version is Cowboy Bebop....All other anime I would rather watch in japanese.

Worst? Don't get me started on 4Kids... "Would you like a sandwich?" "IT'S A FARKING RICE BALL!!"

:edit: I also agree with IDX Rider's comment about Initial D, there was no need to change the music... Half of the appeal of the show was the chirpy Eurobeat. If I wanted to listen to Hip Hop coming from cars I'd go hang out at the local McDonald's carpark.

Best Dub

Giant Robo. Perfect, a well balanced all around good performance.

Worst Dub

Giant Robo. When I finally noticed they had put the series out on DVD, as VHS was the only available media for sometime I jumped and purchased the whole set. I sit down to watch and "WTF" is all I can say to how bad the dub was. I'm thinking how can I save this and thank god deep in the menus I find the origional dub, pulled my all time fav series out of the fire there.

Bible black

i freaking laugh every time i think about it

Onion Kid
    Best-English Oban star racers amd Inuyasha-I can't image that animes in any other languages
    Worst-Utena- who had heard can't forget...

Worst I have seen is Transformers: Headmasters.

Hilariously bad.
    honk honk

Warrior, Protector, Friend solid8bit's Avatar
    One Peice has got to be the worst dubing ever. It wasn't good to begin with but in the middle of the show (on Toonami) the changed voice acters. I like One Peice- the real Japanese One Peice. the US version is horrible.

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo both had great dubbing. So much in fact that I actually prefer watching the dub to the original Japanese. But other anime where the dub was better than the sub? Probably DBZ and GTO. It was weird. I definitely didn't like the GTO original Japanese. The main character sounded like a dirty old man... Whereas for DBZ, Goku just sounded like he was a ten year old girl on helium. No offense intended to those who are dirty old men and/or ten year old girls on helium
    Of course I'm a snarky little jerk. As a teenager it's my god given inalienable right

PAH-TAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by greyknight90 View Post
    Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo both had great dubbing. So much in fact that I actually prefer watching the dub to the original Japanese. But other anime where the dub was better than the sub? Probably DBZ and GTO. It was weird. I definitely didn't like the GTO original Japanese. The main character sounded like a dirty old man... Whereas for DBZ, Goku just sounded like he was a ten year old girl on helium. No offense intended to those who are dirty old men and/or ten year old girls on helium
    lol Well Goku may not be a 10 year old girl, but Onizuka was definitely a Dirty old man in the making... at least in the manga, I never saw the anime