Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Dubs

Onion Kid
    Best Dub: Cowboy Bebop, I watched it in English first then the Japanese, I just couldn't bear with the Japanese voices for some reason. I also love Steven Blum's voice.

Worst Dub: Fullmetal Alchemist, I've heard worse, but this one sticks out to me the most. I couldn't stand Ed's voice... I never really heard anyone else, so it might actually be better than I think

Best Dubbed:
    Death Note (Light has the coolest voice.)
    Avatar: the Last Airbender (Not quite an anime. I know.)
    Samurai Champloo (Didn't see any errors.)
    Bleach (So far so good.)
    Trigun (Who wouldn't love Johnny Yong Bosch?)

Worst Dubbed:
    Mirage of Blaze (Don't...Don't EVER watch it. The voices are either too big or too small.)

Medium Dubbed: ('Cause there are some that go mid-way)
    Blood+ (Has a decent amount of talent in picking voice actors, but some like RIKU shouldn't be voiced at all. If you can't say anything pleasing to the ears, don't say anything at all.)
    Naruto (Where did they find Orochimaru? In the beginning, I hated Naruto's voice. I'm okay with it now, but I'm still recovering.)
    I was still a teenager myself but never treated like one. When you are a genius, you are by no means treated like a commoner.

-Uchiha Itachi (Excerpt from 'The True Prodigy' Fan Fiction)

I knew there was a reason I never deleted this picture
    Attention!

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Righful owner of the matrix jewess crabcake's Avatar
    How on earth can you tolerate Naruto's voice? It's the sole reason I switched to subbed. Well that and Shippuuden.

You own a Xbox 360? Join the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] today!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Magnus View Post
    How on earth can you tolerate Naruto's voice? It's the sole reason I switched to subbed. Well that and Shippuuden.
    Because it fits the voice, most dubs today do a very good job and people are just elitist fucks when it comes to what they watch.

If you want bad dubs, go back the original ones on VHS in the late 1980s like Crying Freeman, or some Hentai's that are put out. Bible Black is bad, but compaire it to the other shit that's on the market, it makes it look godle

I. . .am. . .the. . .GRAEYSTONE! Graeystone's Avatar
    I forgot Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust for great dubbing. Then again it was animated for an English cast in mind.
    AOL chatroom survivor, ex-forum moderator, former IRC Operator. . .bring it on punks!

Marceline
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
    Because it fits the voice, most dubs today do a very good job and people are just elitist fucks when it comes to what they watch.
    Why are you getting an attitude or calling people elitists for watching things the way they prefer to watch stuff?

Most action anime gets a good to decent job done, as does the high budget stuff, but when it comes to more "cutesy" stuff, I've never seen a dub I enjoyed. If other people like it, that's awesome for them, but I'm sure not going to watch something that grates on me when I can switch out an annoying voice for a really endearing one.

I do wish more stuff would get subbed in the way of really good fansubs, with notes when it comes to cultural stuff so that the translation can stay as close as possible. I'd rather have a reference to an old Japanese tv show explained to me than have the joke changed to something else. I get why they do that with dubs, but it seems like it'd fit really well into subtitled dvds.

its so funny how ppl say "i almost stopped watching b/c of his voice"...by that logic i would have stopped talking to half the ppl i know

ps death note ftw

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualchan View Post
    its so funny how ppl say "i almost stopped watching b/c of his voice"...by that logic i would have stopped talking to half the ppl i know

ps death note ftw
    I find the logic of that argument similarly flawed. Simply declaring a dub is unlistenable just because of a character's voice is anything but a legitimate argument. Now granted if it seems like an odd choice to the character it's understandable, but if the acting is there, then its not so problematic. I know people have preferences, but sometimes this just goes too far. I've found that half of the dubs I've heard people say are "unlistenable" are not bad at all and that dubs which people say are good are not so much so. So you really can't take any of these arguments seriously.

-Jon T.

i don't go to class b/c i cant stand my teacher's voice (my latest excuse)

Marceline
    Seriously? People watch anime for entertainment. Why should anyone have to argue the reason they're not entertained by something. Personally, I get very picky about acting in anything I don't watch for camp. I'm not picky at all about animation, I know other people who found shows I think are great unwatchable for that reason. What reason is there for people to watch anything for entertainment if it's not entertaining them, especially if an alternative that entertains them more is out there.

People should watch whichever one they enjoy the most. I can't believe people are actually debating this. =/

Two years younger than Pipsi! Nazi Cinnamon Spider's Avatar
    I think for me the best dubs I've seen would be probably the International Dub of Teknoman, as well as the Theater Dub of Princess Mononoke. Close contenders for great dubs go to Cowboy Bebop, and the movie versions of Battle Angel Alita and Armitage: Poly Matrix. As for BAD dubs, geez..where to begin? Naruto, One Piece and Sailor Moon are the obvious stand outs. But by far is the current promotional video doing the rounds for Pretty Cure. Protips Guys! Honoka is NOT a Jewish Holiday. Fuckers.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentre View Post
    Best Dubbed:
    Death Note (Light has the coolest voice.)
    Avatar: the Last Airbender (Not quite an anime. I know.)
    Samurai Champloo (Didn't see any errors.)
    Bleach (So far so good.)
    Trigun (Who wouldn't love Johnny Yong Bosch?)

Worst Dubbed:
    Mirage of Blaze (Don't...Don't EVER watch it. The voices are either too big or too small.)

Medium Dubbed: ('Cause there are some that go mid-way)
    Blood+ (Has a decent amount of talent in picking voice actors, but some like RIKU shouldn't be voiced at all. If you can't say anything pleasing to the ears, don't say anything at all.)
    Naruto (Where did they find Orochimaru? In the beginning, I hated Naruto's voice. I'm okay with it now, but I'm still recovering.)
    MIRAGE OF BLAZE KICKED MAJOR ASS!!!(NAOE RULEZ!!)
    They kept every last damn thing from the novels and the manga IN THE SHOW!!!! its funny how people dislike dubs that kept all culture and original dialogue
    I have to admit Takaya was annoying
    heres some of his dialouge that makes it funny with his american voice actor:
    "you bastard"
    "damn you to hell"
    "NAOE!!!"
    " I wanted those cigarettes"
    "...And Ill knock his teeth out so he can't eat"
    ROTFLOL!!!!!!XD
    but NAOE ROCKED!!!!

I can't wait til Samurai Champloo dub finishes, I've gotten tired of subs for real.

sorry double was teting key board, I spilled juice yesterday T and L are stuck

The OTHER Jill Valentine. Twilight Spectrum's Avatar
    Ugh. So glad to know I'm not the only one who hates the Azumanga dub.

I grew used to it after a bit, but in the end the original Japanese is funnier anyhow.

And I love the Death Note dub. The evil laughs by the Japanese voice actors scared the bajeebus out of me. T__T

Best: Deathnote (they're doing a really good job! The voices may not fit as well as I'd like, but the actual information part is pretty good. They're getting the majority of the translation the same), Fullmetal Alchemist

Worst: Sailormoon, definately. But what can you expect from one of the first mainstream animes out there (besides Astroboy and Speed Racer)

The best dubs are Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Death Note (although I like the Japanese for Death Note).

For the Worst? Naruto. I can't stand his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Magnus View Post
    I can't wait til Samurai Champloo dub finishes, I've gotten tired of subs for real.
    Its been finished ever since... 2005.

Of course all this is a matter of opinion, but I feel I must voice mine.

Best Dubs Ever -
    Lupin III
    Ranma 1/2
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Wolf's Rain
    Cowboy Bebop

Worst Dubs Ever -
    Naruto
    Azumanga Daioh (my favorite anime, but SUBS ONLY!!!)

By the way, I feel I must say, after seeing some of the things people have been saying, that the following anime have good dubs. Maybe not the best, but not bad at all:

Sailor Moon
    FLCL
    Gundam Wing
    Inuyasha
    Chobits
    Negima
    Kare Kano
    Tenchi Muyo
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...oh wait, it is a bird.

Quote Originally Posted by -Beat View Post
    Its been finished ever since... 2005.
    What!! In English, for real? I'll check it out.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CutterKirbyFan View Post
    Of course all this is a matter of opinion
    Actually, it isn't. There are certain universal standards of quality that can be applied to nearly everything. Whether you recognize them or not doesn't change that.

Amen, Halleijuah, Peanut Butter rayne21x's Avatar
    Best
    Desert Punk
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Inu-Yasha
    Full Metal Panic
    Gundam Wing
    Gundam 0083
    Eureka 7
    Ghost in the Shell: SAC
    Black Lagoon
    Naruto (im gonna recieve flak for this but in all honesty, its not that bad.)
    Cowboy Bebop
    Outlaw Star
    The Big O
    FLCL
    Blue Gender

The Worst
    Dragonball Z
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    One Piece (Before funimation took over)
    Silent Mobius
    Macross (the new adv dub. for some reason i think the robotech dub is better)

"Remember the 6 P's...Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance"

"OOOO! Damn he beat your ass! Like TLC you just lost your left-eye"

I hate inuyasha dubbed the voices never matched the setting. And whats with the old lady speaking Shakespearian English?

Best:
    1. Inuyasha
    2. Full Metal Alchemist
    3. Fushigi Yuugi
    4. FLCL

Worst:
    1. Ceres Celestial Legend

I haven't watched many dubbed animes, but these are what I can remember watching.