Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Dubs

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MorgothErmis View Post
    FF7AC English vers.
    Yep. Definitely one of the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
    Well, I don't like dubs in general, I think original VAs are best kept.
    You have just forfeited any and all credibility in this discussion.

J. Peterman
    I WILL TALK ABOUT POKEMON NOW

IMO THE OLD DUB WAS PRETTY GOOD ACTUALLY
    THE NEW DUB SUCKS
    I PREFER THE JAPANESE NO SUBTITILES TO THE NEW DUB MAN
    THOUGH OLD VAS THAT WOULD BE BETTER THAN JAPANESE AND I WOULD BE FOLLOWING IT THROUGH ENGLISH INSTEAD

I HOPE THIS EXPLAINS WHY I LIKE POKEMON

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    You have just forfeited any and all credibility in this discussion.
    And why would that be? Because I simply feel that it's best to keep things as they are, if they are better? That is my opinion, and I respect anyone else's as well.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    In a nutshell, yes. You've shown that your preferences will not allow you to look at the matter impartially. If you can't look at dubs through an objective eye, you're not qualified to discuss their quality.

I don't mean that as a slight against you. Merely an observation.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    In a nutshell, yes. You've shown that your preferences will not allow you to look at the matter impartially. If you can't look at dubs through an objective eye, you're not qualified to discuss their quality.

I don't mean that as a slight against you. Merely an observation.
    I will still watch dubbed stuff sometimes, but I was merely saying that generally I prefer original voice acting. Once in a while, a good dub will come, and I'll watch that too, but again, that doesn't happen very much (in my opinion).

Oh noooo :D Lunchbox McGillicuddy's Avatar
    The original Transformers Headmasters dub by the company "Star Dubs" is the most atrocious thing ever

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Again, I ask the question,

Quote Originally Posted by OH ZING! View Post
    When Fist of the North Star was re-released on DVD, did John Vickery come back and do the voice of Kenshiro? Because I've yet to watch it. And I'm talking about the old FotNS series, not the new one with all the CG that came out a few years back.

Onion Kid
    Generally I am opposed to people claiming some kind of superiority because they prefer subs to dubs. Nine times out of Ten, if there is a dub, I'd prefer to watch that. The exception, of course, is Naruto (Which has some quality Voice Actors, but atrocious writing and translation.)

Anyway, as to the actual topic, My favorite Dubs are:
    DBZ (This should produce some "WOW YOU R TEH DUMB" yelling in my direction)

Yu Yu Hakusho - Say what you will about the series itself, but the sub is rather dull. I don't know what the Japanese think of 'Punks' but all I've ever seen/read the Japanese version of Yusuke do or say is "Bastard" every once and awhile. The Dub adds true character to Yusuke and Kuwabara, and quirky things like strange accents on Villains. (read: Chu, the aussie suiken user, and Jin, with the most impossible to understand Irish accent.)

Most people spit on companies like Funimation, but really they should be praised for the work they actually put into some of their works. I hear people are quite pleased with the Fruits Basket dub, though I've never actually seen it myself.
    My all time favorite would probably be FLCL. Excellent translation and dubbing. All around excellent show.

As to worst dub? Well...
    Evangelion: I suppose you could pass this one by as being old, before companies like Funimation popped up who really cared about Voice Acting, but I don't buy it. I dont like Evangelion much, and part of it is the shoddy dubbing.
    Detective Conan: Or, in the US, Case Closed. I actually enjoy this show, but I really, really hate it when a Dub company takes it upon themselves to translate an opening song. It. Just. Doesnt. Work. Funimation is the number one, if not only, company that does this. The Dub itself isnt too horrible, but that opening song makes me cringe. Both of the ones I have seen, anyway.

Not at the table Carlos discodan's Avatar
    Worst....
    The Akira that came out on DVD,
    Directors cut my a55......

Onion Kid
    Worst....
    Oh yeah, that too.

Oh noooo :D Lunchbox McGillicuddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by discodan View Post
    Worst....
    The only voice I didn't really like was Tetsuo's, a little too youthful to an annoying degree

i thought tht akira was a good dub minus tetsuo's voice like 'ktulu' sed
    ghost in the shell is one of my favourites

Sailor Moon hands down. They messed that show up in so many different ways. >_>

Not at the table Carlos discodan's Avatar
    Akira dub.....

I own the original japanese and english streamline titles. And that dub seemed a little better. The new title seems to have completly new lines of dialogue in some places... just strange cause i've watched the originals over 17billion times,

One of my favorite dubs is FMA. Al's voice is just love. I wanna hug him everytime he talks XD Ed's is great too.
    Bleach, if only for Hanataro and Chad's voices. ^^

Worst.. hmm.. well for Gundam SEED, I really dont like Athrun's voice at all. And while the rest of the characters were pretty decently voiced over.. if such an important character has a voice I dislike, it sort of ruins it all for me. :/
    I hate One Piece's dub. Luffy's voice grates so much on my nerves. D:
    Other than that I cant think of much though. Prolly a good thing xD
    http://forums.ffshrine.org/signaturepics/sigpic159367_1.gif
    "Tastes like... cheese that's been sitting around for about three weeks. But worse." Bear Grylls

Is not from BLEACH or Death Note damnit! midnightshinigami's Avatar
    Best:
    Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C, and Gundam Wing (I'm only the second person on here who agrees ^_^).

Worst:
    +Sailor Moon (Cloverway). Even worse than the DiC travesty as far as voice acting goes.
    +Revolutionary Girl Utena
    +Street Fighter II

Runners Up:
    Death Note. I can stand Ryuuk's voice, and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
    Are you kidding me? NGE sounds horrible.
    It gets better as the series progresses. The End of Evangelion sounds great compared to episode I.

Shriner
    You know what really pisses me off concerning dubs? How sometimes the character's speech stops at random intervals, because the dubbing company wants the voices to work with the mouth flapping. You'd think they could just pay the animators a little more to slightly change the mouth flapping; I'm sure it'd be easy, and you'd get a better result in terms of voices.

Back to the topic, though. I already put up my best and worst, but I wish to make a bigger list.

Best:
    Full Metal Alchemist (anime and movie)
    Ghost in the Shell: SAC
    Vision of Escaflowne (I love this anime so much)

Worst:
    Sailor Moon (by anyone, it still sucks balls)
    Spider Riders (wasn't a good show to begin with, but 4Kids found a way to make it WAY worse)
    One Piece (again, 4Kids is abysmal with this)

I have to say this: I miss the days where blood and good violence (like in Batman: TAS) wasn't restricted to shows with the disclaimer "Viewer discretion is advised". Stupid soccer moms...

yea full metal alchemist was one of the greater dubs

My favorite anime is Slayers, and the dubs are kinda..... yea but they grow on you :P

worst dub? good question

I think Love Hina had one of the worst dubs... I think sailor moon isn't so bad compared to Love Hina...

Righful owner of the matrix jewess crabcake's Avatar
    Worst has to be Naruto though my knowledge of Anime is noobish at best, I cant imagine anything worst than his squeeky voice, and their raping of "modern language", for instance excessive use of the word like and sooo.

You own a Xbox 360? Join the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] today!

Onion Kid
    I really like cowboy bebop,Ghost in the shell,Berserk and full metal alchemist.

why is because the english language actually dubs over it well with the source material. I believe these characters could and possible should be speaking english.

Samurai champloo is dubbed well but I believe alot of jokes are lost in translation because of how the japanese language works.

Onion Kid
    I really despise the 4kids one piece dubs. Everyone gives really corny lines and Luffy has a screeching whiny voice.

Onion Kid

Cool Whaaa???

Quote Originally Posted by Skullgrin140 View Post
    The Worst: Sailor moon, Robotech

Waitdaminute...yer talkin' about the t.v. series...from the '80s...with all those great songs (still hated Minmei )...that influenced a whole generation of American youth and proved once and for all that 'cartoons' don't have to be just for kids...

...and is still going strong over 20yrs later...

...THAT Robotech???

I can't even say 'to each his/her own' on that one, lol

-Oh, and just to add to the list:

Best - Nausicaa (a.k.a. "Warriors of the Wind"); I actually prefer the Eng Dub of this, which is insane, but it's worth it just for the voice work of the Old Woman; hi-larious!

Worst - and I love this (original, not the 'new' one) Series, so I guess that's also why I was SOOOO disappointed in the dub (or should I say D-oh!): Dangaio(h). Oh, how the gods will lament this travesty of english-language voice over work, with a gnashing of teeth & beating of breast, woe unto those how approved its creation, WOE!!!

Onion Kid
    Best Dub: Probably Robotech if that qualifies
    Worst Dub: Sonic The Hedgehog OAV