Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Dubs

English Naruto dub "BELIEVE IT" sorry for the caps lol is the worst dub ever

The best dub would be Dragonball

Best: Fullmetal Alchemist. The voices were all good, I don't remember any of them actually killing my ears at all. The dialogue was pretty good, everything seemed to be alright.

Worst: Sailor Moon
    This is one of my favorites, but the dubs just raped everything beyond comprehension. I have never seen anything that changed so much between translation that it was completely unrecognizable, but this one just takes the cake.

Let me start with the DiC dub...

First of all, they cut about ten thousand episodes out... That was just ridiculous. Sailor Moon wasn't meant to be a show for five-year-olds, but they canned every single episode that had anything derogatory in it. Of course, that's probably for the best. I would've hated to see the editing they would have had to go through.

Now for the names... Amy, Raye, Mina - Ami, Rei, Minako = Just fine... And then we have LITA... WTF? Who names someone Lita? And then there's the completely retarded name they gave the Dark Kingdom- "Negaverse." What the hell is a Negaverse? Let's just make up everything we can, yay!

Another thing, no one could ever just "die." Everyone had to disappear or something else. Because people never die, everyone knows that.

Naru: "You'll have to kill me first!"
    Molly: "You'll have to DESTROY me first!"
    I think I was destroyed on the inside a little bit after that one.

Oh, and on the subject of "Molly", what the hell was up with her accent? No one in Japan has that accent...

Oh wait. I forgot. DiC thought they had to completely erase any evidence that the series took place in Japan. They cut out scenes that had any type of Japanese characters on signs or anything. My question is, umm... Why? What was the point?

There was one good thing about the DiC dub. Usagi's voice in the beginning was spot-on. Too bad that first VA only lasted about 10 episodes and then was replaced by the horrendous Terri Hawks. *throws up*

Now for the Cloverway dub. They at least didn't cut out every episode that had a bit of violence, and that was a good thing. The thing that killed it for me was the terrible voice acting, namely Usagi's and Ami's. They were TERRIBLE! How did the girl who did Usagi's voice get the job? She sounded like she was choking to death.

Oh, and "This is the most difficult challenge planet power has ever faced." What?! What the hell is planet power?!

One more thing was that Sailor Jupiter's attack changed with every episode. Her attack name completely changed at random for no reason. I never understood any of this.

Well, that concludes my rant. Here's a summary- Sailor Moon's English dub was completely awful.

I never watch anime dubbed. I only tried few times to see some anime dubbed by curiosity and I can say the worst dub I've ever listened to is Kare Karo. On the other hand, ADV Films made a suberb work on Nerima Daikon Brother (especially on the musical parts). It's the only anime I wouldn't mind watching the dub.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Sorry to be so blunt (not really), but you have absolutely no credibility in this discussion. As someone who proclaims to never watch dubbed anime, you cannot possibly have an informed opinion on the matter. Furthermore, if you're really so asinine as to say the Kare Kano dub, which was generally well-received and regarded as one of the better dubs on the market, was bad, then your ignorance and bias in the matter are so severe that you should be avoiding it by as wide a margin as possible to keep people like me from ripping you to shreds.

The Light of Justice
    Love Hina in my opinion
    No one can't stop this blazing heart of mine.

This is my first post!! XDD WHEE!!!

Favorite:

Ghost Stories
    Pani Poni Dash

I LOOOVE the Ghost Stories dub!! That's better than the original Japanese!! O_O Pani Poni Dash, I like in Japanese better, but they did a pretty good job with it. ^o^

Worst:

Naruto
    Onepiece

ESPECIALLY ONEPIECE!! DDDX

When Fist of the North Star was re-released on DVD, did John Vickery come back and do the voice of Kenshiro? Because I've yet to watch it. And I'm talking about the old FotNS series, not the new one with all the CG that came out a few years back.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Rhythm and RPG Tsukuru Enthusiast Starrodkirby86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animegirly2 View Post
    This is my first post!! XDD WHEE!!!

Favorite:

Ghost Stories
    Pani Poni Dash

I LOOOVE the Ghost Stories dub!! That's better than the original Japanese!! O_O Pani Poni Dash, I like in Japanese better, but they did a pretty good job with it. ^o^

Worst:

Naruto
    Onepiece

ESPECIALLY ONEPIECE!! DDDX
    Woo, welcome to the forums. Anyway, again, let's hope that Funimation's English Dub will do better. Or maybe they did dub it, I'm wondering when now, because I'm very non-updating.

"Tobi's a good boy!"

Onion Kid
    Easily One Piece for the worst I've seen...

But I think I really like the Naruto dub....O.o I mean, from what I've seen of it, they kept the openers, all the japanese culture stuff and names..well almost. Gai. None of the VAs really bother me either except for Jiraiya. I'd love to see OP get that kind of treatment this time around.

Oh also, Pokemon is pretty good too. In terms of localization. The show's crap, but I think it's localized well. Well, before they changed the VA cast. I guess anytime they keep the openers makes it a great job in my mind.

Prince of Tennis and Thumbelina.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze of Evidence View Post
    Love Hina in my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by pigeon-wing View Post
    Don't you just love posts like this where people don't say whether they think it's the best or worst?

Onion Kid
    Worst, and by worst I mean that with every copy sold, an angel lost it's wings, and a kitten cries for it's mother: Devil Man.

Why? Volume 2. It ranks up there with the movie in the Ring for sheer evil....only it's real. There is a demon who sounds just like Foghorn Leghorn. You know, the giant chicken from the old Looney Tunes cartoons, who was based on a parody of an American Southern politician nobody remembers...? *drinks a glass of water*

Think about it, what were they trying to say? That demons are wacky fun cartoon characters like Looney Tunes, so that parents will let their children watch the horrors that follow? That American Southern Politicians are demons from hell?

All of these points are arguable - whether or not you agree says a lot about how jaded you are, but one point can't be argued with: Foghorn Leghorn trying to sound scary isn't scary. For that matter, Devilman sounding like a 12 year old trying to sound scary isn't scary either.

In fact, anyone trying to sound scary isn't scary, because if they were really scary, they wouldn't feel the need to prove how scary they are.

I'm willing to bet, that if anything, they'd be trying to reassure you that you're completely safe...

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by SickHippie View Post
    Now, for the record, I HATE dubs. Even the best of dub is crap simply because it is a dub.

That said, the only halfway decent dub I've seen is Full Metal Alchemist.

As far as really crappy dub jobs go? The worst will always be anything by 4Kids. Shaman King, Naruto, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh... Absolute shit.

What really sucks about it is those are some of my favorite animes and mangas. Of course, the manga translations (and editing) always leave a bit to be desired - fansubs and scanslations FTW!

4kids doesn't do Naruto man. Cuz if they did, it would be twice as bad.

Onion Kid
    Now for the best.

I can assure you, it won't be pretty.

Those of you with sensitive eyes might want to look away. It's okay, nobody will hold it against you.

Gone yet? Okay, you're brave. Let's go together into the darkness...

My favorite dub, of all time...

Robotech.

Sharpening your knives? Allow me to explain, before you shank me.

It hooked me on anime.

That's right, it was my gateway drug. I was just a kid at the time, living in the bible belt. No rock music. No kissing the opposite sex.

To say it was a revelation would be an understatement...

But here's where it gets really interesting - it didn't just hook me. It hooked my mom. Imagine a young woman who thinks hugs before marriage are questionable, and modern music is the devil's whisper, hooked on the story of alien clones discovering love and music for the first time...

Now you get the power of the dub. One that can't be seen if you only look at how faithful the writers were to the source material.

Robotech inspired my generation.

More important, it inspired those who raised my generation as well...

It's very rare that I watch dubbed anime now, but a long time ago, the UK Sci-Fi channel showed late night anime - all dubbed stuff which I taped religiously. Blue Sonnet, Roujin-Z, Jin-Roh etc - great titles that you couldn't find in the original back then. Apart from fifteening, the early manga dubs were pretty good. Anyway...

Worst: The new dub of Lupin III - bad voice casting and really dire translation.

Best: R.O.D the TV, Chobits, Haibane Renmei.

I fell in love with Patlabor 2 through the English dub and still prefer it to the Japanese version. Miyazaki said that he thought the French dub of Porco Rosso was superior to the Japanese original.

Rhythm and RPG Tsukuru Enthusiast Starrodkirby86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecowgoesmoo View Post
    Easily One Piece for the worst
    But I think I really like the Naruto dub....O.o I mean, from what I've seen of it, they kept the openers, all the japanese culture stuff and names..well almost. Gai. None of the VAs really bother me either except for Jiraiya. I'd love to see OP get that kind of treatment this time around.

Well, the openings, that's a hit-and-miss. They only showed two Japanese openings on the anime in Toonami (The Uncut DVD, of course, has all), and the openings were Haruka Kanata and Go!!. They created their own vid for Haruka Kanata and I believe Go was the same, but they extended the length of Haruka Kanata a lot...I didn't like that at all. I mean, it's like they're hyping it or something. And those two openings, they are very common, so bleck. XD

I. . .am. . .the. . .GRAEYSTONE! Graeystone's Avatar
    Best: I would have to say Ranma 1/2. Well done acting that isn't plain or over the top.

Worst: Desert Punk. Still trying to get the overuse of swearing out of my head.
    AOL chatroom survivor, ex-forum moderator, former IRC Operator. . .bring it on punks!

Quote Originally Posted by pigeon-wing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    Don't you just love posts like this where people don't say whether they think it's the best or worst?
    The Prince of Tennis voice actors always feel a little flat to me, and some of the voices I just plain dislike, particularly Ryoma's and Inui's. The majority of the voices in Thumbelina are sufferable, but the heroine's ruins the entire movie. She sounds more like an obnoxious little boy with a sore throat than anything else.

Live This Close to Death mary_sonnie's Avatar
    I think we just grow far too accustomed to how the Japanese seiyuu's develop the character, and it severely influences how we handle any type of change. If someone watches the English version first, it also changes our perceptions of the character when we listen to them in Japanese.

Naruto: (watched subbed first, then dubbed)

I absolutely love Rock Lee's Japanese seiyuu. The English actor isn't bad, but I'm used to hearing him say certain phrases in a certain way, and the absence of that has the ability to totally change a scene. Gaara's English voice actor is also fairly good, but it's just not the same.

Bleach: (watched subbed first, then dubbed)

I'm a huge, huge fan of Hitsugaya's Japanese voice. It's grave, throaty, and mature, just like the character himself. I've heard SO much bashing of Hitsugaya's English VA, but that's only because so many people grew to love Hitsugaya through his seiyuu. The English VA sounds younger, more emotional. I can personally say I dislike this voice, just because he doesn't sound as serious.

Trigun: (watched dubbed only)

My first anime; I found I've never had much of an urge to hear the Japanese voices. I think the dub is fairly good, at least as far as the main characters. That's really all I need. If I feel a show has a decent-to-good dub, I'm far less inclined to seek out a comparison.

Rurouni Kenshin: (dubbed first, then subbed)

I think both versions have something to offer. I honestly don't have too much of a preference, although the switch between Soujiro's English VAs is very, very distracting. Both Kenshins have lovely voices, I think. The OVA voice casting is far inferior, and I must say the Japanese voices are much better than the English ones. But in the TV series, the English one is alright, though it has some rough spots.

I keep seeing people mention things like "This character has a Southern Accent" or something like that (Osaka from AzuDai was the first I saw), and it's important to note that the Osaka Accent is equivalent to the Southern Accent in how people use it and react to it in Japanese media. Just a comment.

The vision of Escaflowne Dub was a travesty. The Naruto Dub is not nearly as bad as people keep saying (YOU try translating "dattebayo", there just isn't an equivalent in english), and the Bleach dub is also quite good.

The Single worst Dub job I have ever had an experience with was the Macross "Do You Remember Love?" movie. A friend of mine somehow got a hold of a copy of the Japanese English Dub of this movie. It was put together as a teaching aid for college students learning English. Any bad dub that you can imagine (with a few exceptions) pales in comparison to the "Do You Remember Love?" dub.

I haven't actually seen it, but I've heard that "Garzey's Wing" also has a particularly bad Dub.
    ~All things are possible in this world

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is the place that I buy many of the Soundtracks that I upload.
    If you like the music I provide, consider buying the actual albums.

The worst dub ever was Bible Black....not that I like dit too much anyway. Don't see why anyone likes it...

And the best dub is Ghost in the Shell (movies and series). Neon Genesis Evangelion also sounds good dubbed
    Yes yes, I know. It's not the most original signature

FF7AC English vers.
    For relaxing times, make it [Hidden link. Register to see links.] time.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidNanako View Post
    The worst dub ever was Bible Black....not that I like dit too much anyway. Don't see why anyone likes it...

And the best dub is Ghost in the Shell (movies and series). Neon Genesis Evangelion also sounds good dubbed
    Are you kidding me? NGE sounds horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
    Are you kidding me? NGE sounds horrible.
    I don't think so (obviously). But that's because I saw NGE for the first time in english, so to me japanese sounded weird

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidNanako View Post
    I don't think so (obviously). But that's because I saw NGE for the first time in english, so to me japanese sounded weird
    Well, I don't like dubs in general, I think original VAs are best kept.