Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ripping CDs and Encoding With Lossless - How To

How To Rip 1:1 Copies of Audio CDs Using Exact Audio Copy

The tutorial is back up!

Note: I'm hosting this on the Sonic On The Net Forums because I like the format of phpBB [Hidden link. Register to see links.] better.

Click on image
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

There are some major changes to this version of the tutorial including:
    • A much better layout and presentation (Discarded useless information and images).
    • Info on how to set up EAC to use AccurateRip.[Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    • A whole section on inspecting your rips and troubleshooting.
    • Addition information for enhancing your rips.

...and soon to come:

• How to create media player compatible CUE sheets with pre-gaps and album art!
      (In other words, it'll allow You to play back your music as if it were playing directly from the CD).
    • How to create additional CUE sheets with ReplayGain tags.

To make sure that all of the information posted in the tutorial was correct, I submitted it to the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] for review.
    If you have any questions or comments about the tutorial, please post them here on this forum.

Thanks for this ! It's an excellent work !

This was very helpful and informative. One thing however, I think I missed out somewhere you said...

Another plus is that you can rip a CD and encode it with lossless to your computer and copy it back to a CD, you can repeat this process over and over again without losing any quality, you can even change these formats to another format if you want (MP3, WMA, WAVE, AAC, LAME, OGG, ect).
    I am interested in converting music from a CD with lossless but I don't know how to convert it into .mp3 format whilst retaining its quality. Do I need some other program not mentioned or can this beta version do that also?

Ha, ha, ha! I'm launching! GG4ever's Avatar
    "Lossless" is for fucking faggot-ass retards. Since recording equipment can't record nearly as good as the human ear can hear, there's no point in trying to have "lossless" ripping. If you want "lossless" then hire the band to play for you live.

Fucking retards. Why was this bullshittery stickied, anyway? Oh, right, so that way I could find it without surfing through 80 million posts and call out on the faggotry.
    "Hi! We're the N00bs at Mozilla! We don't include 'hominem' or 'dialogue' or even 'blatherskite' in our Superior Web Spell Checker of Awesomeness, but we do include 'n00b'! No, it has to be 'n00b;' not 'noob' or 'newb'! 'N00b!' You can remember this because it's what we n00bs at Mozilla are!" - Mozilla Reps

Sarah
    Quote Originally Posted by Enya View Post
    This was very helpful and informative. One thing however, I think I missed out somewhere you said...

I am interested in converting music from a CD with lossless but I don't know how to convert it into .mp3 format whilst retaining its quality. Do I need some other program not mentioned or can this beta version do that also?
    mp3s are not lossless. converting from lossless to mp3 will reduce quality.

Quote Originally Posted by GG4ever View Post
    "Lossless" is for fucking faggot-ass retards. Since recording equipment can't record nearly as good as the human ear can hear, there's no point in trying to have "lossless" ripping. If you want "lossless" then hire the band to play for you live.

Fucking retards. Why was this bullshittery stickied, anyway? Oh, right, so that way I could find it without surfing through 80 million posts and call out on the faggotry.
    heh "fucking faggot-ass retards". by fucking yourself by saying shit like that you've just fucking called yourself a fucking faggot-ass bitch right there, prick.

Sorry I haven't checked in on this thread in a little while. It seems to be going...oh well, I hope it helped some of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enya
    Well I see Sarah already answered your question. this is why converting from lossless to [Hidden link. Register to see links.] degrades quality: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I just thought of some reasons why people should encode their music in lossless format and upload it to this site.

Let's just imagine that someone broke into your house. This criminal takes off with your computer, jewelry and your priceless collection of video game music!!! But wait, once you buy a new computer you can just come to this site and download your lost collection and it will be in the same exact quality as those CDs that were stolen. If you have the song [Hidden link. Register to see links.] from Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of cerberus in your CD collection the criminal might be so moved by the song that he'll turn himself in. It's really sad (I know, that one was a little strange )

Or what if your house burns down along with all of your valuables which happen to include your priceless collection of video game music!!! Or what if you lend the Cd out to a friend and...you know.

So in conclusion, Let Our SelveS upLoad in thE beSt poSsible format!!!

Opps. Forgot how to delete.

I'll be updating this thread in the upcoming months/weeks with some new methods of encoding, I'll also clean up in here a bit.

Grand Shriner
    Why don't you use the proper lossless configuration? I mean, this guide has the main portion of it, but it leaves out the important .log file, also the .cue sheet for those who want to burn back to CDs. You also didn't mention read offset, or even CRC check!

Good job on the guide, of course, I'm not trying to insult you or anything. But currently, as it is, it's leaving out some important things that would most definitely alter whether the resulting files are indeed 100% lossless or not.

OK I'll definitely try my best to include what you've mentioned, you can help if you like, PM me. I'll have to admit that I'm kinda new to EAC as I've only had it for a few months and have not yet explored everything it can do, but I'm learning.

Like I've said in my previous post I'll eventually be updating this thread with some new info, and if anyone wants to help out I'd appreciate it. All-in-all I'm hoping to make this thread as simple and easy to understand as possible, and maybe too this will increase the interest in uploading music in [lossless] FLAC. Thanks for the comment.

Shriner
    I would just like to add that a nicely encoded mp3 will sound just as good as lossless. If space is an issue for some then i recommend converting the lossless files or CDs using the LAME mp3 encoder with the settings VBR -V2. Dbpoweramp comes with this encoder so i recommend using this program for converting.

Well I guess that depends on the listener. I've heard the best of LAME compared to encoding like FLAC and WMA9 lossless and the lossless codecs sound cleaner, crisper and have a better overall atmosphere, but that's just me personally, others will decide for themselves.

There are better encoders out there for MP3s other then LAME. Nero AAC encoding for instance produces higher quality audio at lower bit rates - perfect for portable music players like I-Pod. I will be updating this thread in the near future with examples of how this can be done as well as some new stuff.

Well anyway, even if LAME does produce some nice quality audio there are still other advantages to encoding with FLAC, all will be explained soon.

I really do appreciate the comments and suggestions, keep it up.

Shriner
    Yes, from my experience i have yet to notice the difference with lossless and Lame VBR. I actually got the VBR info from an audiophile that reviewed the mp3 player i currently own (Cowon D2), which i bought mainly for playing lossless (flac etc). As you said though, it depends on the listener and the equipment they own. Mp3 is would still be preferable to most, i'm assuming, since thats what DAP players support.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents.

contents include: mike(x1) mikeman_61's Avatar
    thanks and maybe you know, maybe you dont.. but you have lost the picture for step 6.. i think

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Everytime I rip a CD with Exact Audio Copy V 0.95 beta 4 with CDRDAO-Burning, the tracks come out as wav files. And it takes forever (at least 2 hours) to upload these wave files onto a file sharing site (megaupload, mediafire, etc.), in which most cases the site Iam uploading them onto tells me they're too big to even upload. Is there a way to convert these wav files into MP3 files?

Thank you very much.

Grand Shriner
    Tthese work on video game disc right?

i don't get it
    but then you have a bunch of files that you have to convert before you put it on your mp3 player...
    isn't 320kbps addequate?

I'm looking for an application that can batch tag FLAC files. I have a really good mp3 tagging app so not being able to tag multiple FLAC files annoys me... If you know any good apps, please let me know!

I'm going to put this in the update, whenever that comes around: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. Just open the folder with your flac files or drag and drop select files into the app and you can add all necessary tags including album art.

I actually used this program to tag this Mp3: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

This app is open source (FREE) and also has support for "online databases like freedb or Amazon". I hope this is useful to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSpark View Post
    I'm going to put this in the update, whenever that comes around: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. Just open the folder with your flac files or drag and drop select files into the app and you can add all necessary tags including album art.

I actually used this program to tag this Mp3: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

This app is open source (FREE) and also has support for "online databases like freedb or Amazon". I hope this is useful to everyone.
    Thanks I'll try it out immediately!

Sorry that I don't check in on this thread all that often but while I'm here I might as well answer some of your questions.

mikeman_61
    thanks and maybe you know, maybe you dont.. but you have lost the picture for step 6.. i think
    I'll be changing up the pictures when I update.

ShmupFighter

Everytime I rip a CD with Exact Audio Copy V 0.95 beta 4 with CDRDAO-Burning, the tracks come out as wav files. And it takes forever (at least 2 hours) to upload these wave files onto a file sharing site (megaupload, mediafire, etc.), in which most cases the site Iam uploading them onto tells me they're too big to even upload. Is there a way to convert these wav files into MP3 files?

Thank you very much.
    You may not have the correct file extension type or additional command line options.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSpark
    (5) Under "Use file extension" type: .flac and then browse for flac.exe (default directory: C:\Program Files\FLAC\flac.exe):

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSpark
    (6) Copy and paste this to the "Additional command line options": -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

TheAnubisLord

Tthese work on video game disc right?
    I'm not sure of the process behind ripping music off of a video game discs. There are other programs that will do this but you'll have to find out from someone that knows. Sorry.

If you ever do find out how to do this and you're able to extract the PCM files from disc then you can use the instructions above to convert them to FLAC or MP3.

AnYoNe!

i don't get it
    but then you have a bunch of files that you have to convert before you put it on your mp3 player...
    isn't 320kbps addequate?
    I'm sure many people are content with 320kbps but some of us prefer lossless for its perfect representation of CD quality audio, which in my experience of hearing sounds better then 320kbps even with the best encoding method. Like I've said before, it all depends on the persons listening to it.

Aegis
    Quote Originally Posted by ShmupFighter View Post

FLAC Frontend comes with an encoder, so you open the program, import these .wav files, and compress them by clicking on the "Encode" button. If they're still too big, compress them again with WinRAR. Hope this help.

I would just like to add, for the uploading portion, try using [Hidden link. Register to see links.] or anything other then MegaUpload. I say that because MediaFire doesn't have any download limits, and it's pretty fast.

Just a reminder, if you do decide to use MediaFire to upload your music keep in mind that it'll only upload 100MB per file. Use [Hidden link. Register to see links.] to split the files into 100MB parts (Right-click on the file or folder you want to zip > Add to archive > (tab) General > select drop-list for "Split to volumes, bytes" > "Zip100: 98078").

When WinRar is finished, go back to MediaFire, select 'I want to upload...' and select the number of files you want to upload based on the number of parts WinRar split your file(s) into (Example: 5 for 5 parts). When the upload is complete, "Copy link" and post that here, there or wherever.

I hope this info is useful to you and to anyone that wants to use MediaFire.

CyberSpark

Quote Originally Posted by medusa0 View Post
    FLAC Frontend comes with an encoder, so you open the program, import these .wav files, and compress them by clicking on the "Encode" button. If they're still too big, compress them again with WinRAR. Hope this help.
    Thanks man. I'll give it a try. I've been ripping with WMP, and it's been working great so far.