Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ripping CDs and Encoding With Lossless - How To

ealgheao i have a problem about embedding JPEG Album Art images onto FLAC and OGG Vorbis files. can anyone tel me what i need to do to have the art show on my my MP3 Player? cause i've tried MediaMonkey to do so but that never worked. can anyone................?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueLugia121 View Post
    ealgheao i have a problem about embedding JPEG Album Art images onto FLAC and OGG Vorbis files. can anyone tel me what i need to do to have the art show on my my MP3 Player? cause i've tried MediaMonkey to do so but that never worked. can anyone................?
    Hi TrueLugia121.

You can try [Hidden link. Register to see links.].
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

This tutorial is great. Thank you for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by GG4ever View Post
    "Lossless" is for fucking faggot-ass retards. Since recording equipment can't record nearly as good as the human ear can hear, there's no point in trying to have "lossless" ripping. If you want "lossless" then hire the band to play for you live.

Fucking retards. Why was this bullshittery stickied, anyway? Oh, right, so that way I could find it without surfing through 80 million posts and call out on the faggotry.
    LOL
    THis is what i'm trying to figure out rite now.
    I have al the OSTs...but now wit hthese new threads and everything in "Lossless" should i take the time to dl them again?
    It takes so long to get just ONE thing, do i really wanna do it for all 3 million of my OSTs?

Grand Shriner
    Thank you very much for putting this tutorial up, it seems geared for total computer illiterates such as myself. There were a couple things I was curious about when reading.

First of all, it would seem that the end result of using this program is to make .wav files from cd audio tracks, correct? As far as I know .wavs are basically the ultimate in lossless computer file sound quality. If this is true, then couldn't a person use nero or basically any legitimate sound recording software to do the same thing? The older version of nero I used to have did this perfectly. (The one I'm using now is a little glitchy/downloaded so only this function I can't get to work). Also, I can't really imagine imperfections coming up when 'ripping' (really just copying) audio files from a CD so I don't see the need to use inspection software. Has my luck been too good?

More than this, however, I thought about the fact that all the files I've downloaded from members of this forum had the music in .mp3 format. Wav files are quite large, apparently on the software you demonstrated with 6 megs a minute, but when I make them it's 10 megs a minute. Obviously files of this size are too unwieldy to put up on file hosting sites, so I thought it perfectly legitimate that people would convert them to mp3s for sharing purposes. Basically, I didn't see anything in the tutorial that explains how to take these 'lossless' files and make them available here.

If these are the ignorant ramblings of a complete moron, then please forgive me. I discovered this community very recently and I really want to start putting up my music, which is all on CD, so I was happy that you were trying to explain the process simply.

Hi shimasterc.

I will gladly answer your questions, although, I do not have the time right now to go into any details, maybe Friday. What I can tell you now is that the reason why you're getting such large files is because you may have skipped a part in the Configuration Wizard (first two pictures in the tutorial) which sets up the EAC program to encode your audio files into FLAC format instead of WAV, or you may not have used the "uncompressed" option instead of the "compressed" option under Action -> Test & Copy Selected Tracks / Test & Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet -> Compressed.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberSpark View Post

Click on image
    Just so you audiophiles understand, in theory it is not likely that you will make a 1:1 copy (that is byte for byte) using standard drives. The reason being that Redbook Audio is raw PCM and contains no CRC data...so your drive doen't know if the byte is right or wrong.

EAC's Accurip has a database of common CDs that have been ripped w/ a known checksum, they could be wrong. That's why it uses an external CRC instead of local like data cds do.

Redbook Audio is the only optical media format that does not have any CRC and relies on EFM encoding, TOC and Subchannel and blindly rips it...though some drives can detect errors better then others.

This is pretty useless info just correcting the 1:1 statment for PCM as it is not correct. I am not aware of any professional equipment that can do this either as there's no CRC data.

Quote Originally Posted by GG4ever View Post
    "Lossless" is for fucking faggot-ass retards. Since recording equipment can't record nearly as good as the human ear can hear, there's no point in trying to have "lossless" ripping. If you want "lossless" then hire the band to play for you live.

Fucking retards. Why was this bullshittery stickied, anyway? Oh, right, so that way I could find it without surfing through 80 million posts and call out on the faggotry.
    you sir are a poor example of poor moderating on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by effulgent lovemuffin View Post
    mp3s are not lossless. converting from lossless to mp3 will reduce quality.
    if i convert ape > flac or flac > ape, will quality be lost then?

Quote Originally Posted by jalvarez82 View Post
    Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Everytime I rip a CD with Exact Audio Copy V 0.95 beta 4 with CDRDAO-Burning, the tracks come out as wav files. And it takes forever (at least 2 hours) to upload these wave files onto a file sharing site (megaupload, mediafire, etc.), in which most cases the site Iam uploading them onto tells me they're too big to even upload. Is there a way to convert these wav files into MP3 files?

Thank you very much.
    go to settings and choose compression. from there you can select flac.

Quote Originally Posted by jcgamer60 View Post
    I would just like to add that a nicely encoded mp3 will sound just as good as lossless. If space is an issue for some then i recommend converting the lossless files or CDs using the LAME mp3 encoder with the settings VBR -V2. Dbpoweramp comes with this encoder so i recommend using this program for converting.
    some lossless albums can be the same size as 320k mp3 album. the compression is alot better these days thanks to ape. the quality over a 320k mp3 and a lossless is like comparing 1080p to 720p movie. its not a huge margin, but its noticable and can be appreciated. i think perhaps on decent speakers and headphones the difference in fidelity, noise in the silence can heard.

once upon a time Plextor drives were a requirement. Now being made by PLDS one crap drive is as good as another

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by thejoyrider View Post
    if i convert ape > flac or flac > ape, will quality be lost then?
    no, never
    the formula is like this:
    Lossless -> lossless = lossless
    lossy -> lossless = lossy

for easy converting use foobar2000 +it has tones of plugins

i for one i replaced winamp like 4 years ago and i will never need it

What a confusion! Someone like files ripped othres like MP3 file. Someone must organize this muss.

I'll find the Mother Lode someday.

I always rip my CDs using ExactAudioCopy
    and the tool preset is:

-m s -q 0 (for mp3 cbr 320 kb\s)

-8 -o "D:\Music\LossLess\CDImage.flac" -V %s (for lossles bitrate)

of course thee must be Lame.exe and FLAC.exe encoders installed on your PC

Quote Originally Posted by GameGuy444 View Post
    Just so you audiophiles understand, in theory it is not likely that you will make a 1:1 copy (that is byte for byte) using standard drives. The reason being that Redbook Audio is raw PCM and contains no CRC data...so your drive doen't know if the byte is right or wrong.

EAC's Accurip has a database of common CDs that have been ripped w/ a known checksum, they could be wrong. That's why it uses an external CRC instead of local like data cds do.

Redbook Audio is the only optical media format that does not have any CRC and relies on EFM encoding, TOC and Subchannel and blindly rips it...though some drives can detect errors better then others.

This is pretty useless info just correcting the 1:1 statment for PCM as it is not correct. I am not aware of any professional equipment that can do this either as there's no CRC data.
    Well this may be one of the reasons why a wave comparison program is built-in to EAC. Instead of looking at CRCs or anything like that, it compares each and every sample to the source CD. Anyway, it's worth further research I guess. Thanks for your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by oh my no View Post
    once upon a time Plextor drives were a requirement. Now being made by PLDS one crap drive is as good as another
    LOL. That's probably true. My "crap drive" seems to work well enough to return complete AccurateRip results for most all of the CDs that I've ripped, except in the case where there are no AccurateRip results.

Quote Originally Posted by shun_nishigaki View Post
    What a confusion! Someone like files ripped othres like MP3 file. Someone must organize this muss.
    Well there are advantages and disadvantages to lossless encoding. The main advantage is that the original audio quality is retained. Also, lossless can be transcoded into any other format, such as mp3s.

Quote Originally Posted by suden View Post
    I always rip my CDs using ExactAudioCopy
    and the tool preset is:

-m s -q 0 (for mp3 cbr 320 kb\s)

-8 -o "D:\Music\LossLess\CDImage.flac" -V %s (for lossles bitrate)

of course thee must be Lame.exe and FLAC.exe encoders installed on your PC
    I personally like to rip my CDs as disc images and encode in FLAC format. Then, if I ever need to make mp3s, I just use foobar2000 which will transcode FLAC into LAME v0 (mp3), separate the single file into individuals tracks, and retain the tag information all in just two clicks on the mouse.

Grand Shriner
    thanks for the valuable information

Thanks for the tutorial.

Posted by [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

thanks for the valuable information

Onion Kid

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by TrueLugia121 View Post
    ealgheao i have a problem about embedding JPEG Album Art images onto FLAC and OGG Vorbis files.
    Do Not! you destroy the files, will never be as before, that's bad for sharing since people will always check rips with accuraterip database, at least some will, like me

try foobar2000 and plugin foo_covers and you even have the option of interchangeable images at several seconds or already modded dr. death's foobar

Now that I have a FLAC with the cue, how am I able to play each track separately?

Bakuretsu Hunter Chocolate Misu's Avatar
    Ok quick question here. I followed the tutorial and am able to rip correctly, but I'm having a problem with the tagging before ripping. The title comes out as artist/track title and I can't figure out how to change it before I rip the disc. I can't figure out how to get the artist out of the title an put it in the artist column.

NVM, I fixed everything manually in the cue -.- Man what a pain in the rear that was, I'm glad I wasn't trying to fix something humongous lol.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Shriner
    Just wanted to say thanks for the tutorial. It helped me set up all the many options in EAC that had eluded me in the past.

I recently downloaded a lossless rip of a CD and the log listed
    Used output format : User Defined Encoder
    Selected bitrate : 128 kBit/s
    Quality : High
    Since it's flac, I'm assuming it's lossless quality, so what is the relevence of the 128 kBit/s?

Thanks for the guide, really helpful.

I'm having a weird problem with EAC, though.
    Anytime the program would bring up a directory selection thing to choose where to have something save or copy to, the program crashes.
    I've gotten around this by choosing the option to have things save to a specific directory. The problem is the default directory for this option is "C:" which is probably the worst place to save things ever, and due to the aforementioned crashing issue, can't be changed.

If someone could help me resolve this issue, that would be great.

In case it matters, I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Shriner
    Please help. I asked a friend of mine to rip the Metal Gear Ultimate Sorter Soundtracks, which are really rare.
    Because i dont't have a clue how to rip CDs proper into lossless format, i tried to reach your link for the manual.
    But i only get: "You are not authorised to read this forum." Is there another link to read the manual?

Thank you very much!

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRichtos View Post
    Please help. I asked a friend of mine to rip the Metal Gear Ultimate Sorter Soundtracks, which are really rare.
    Because i dont't have a clue how to rip CDs proper into lossless format, i tried to reach your link for the manual.
    But i only get: "You are not authorised to read this forum." Is there another link to read the manual?

Thank you very much!
    Wait a sec... You have the actual physical disc there?? That's really cool!

Can someone help him out please?