Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ripping CDs and Encoding With Lossless - How To

Onion Kid
    I did download the codecs,but I can't install them though...

those are just some batch files...

*being N00B*

how to rip the audio without sfx from game trailers?

thanks for help :-)

My Threads:
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Thank you for this it's very informative

thanks, very helpful ^^

I know I know, I just don't want to post another tutorial prematurely so I'm holding off a little while longer until I'm able to post accurate information. When I finally find the time I'll finish it up and post it, so please, a little more patience.

Grand Shriner
    I don't know where else to ask this question, and this thread seems like the most relevant/related thread to my question.

I've been wanting to make a game rip of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo from the Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2 (CCC2 for short), but when I feed the sound from my ps2 to my stereo, and then from line out on my stereo to line in on my pc, the volume of the music from the ps2 is very low and has lot of static in it. Is there a way to get an adapter to convert the left and right stereo cords from my ps2 directly to a single plug line in on my PC? (I hope that question made sense heh). Or if that's not possible, what other way do I have of ripping the music without getting very low volume and static? Thanks, and from what I've seen nobody on FFS has made a game rip of this (other than the CPS2 Arcade version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, but that link is dead now), so someone would probably appreciate me uploading my game rip once I've done it.

Onion Kid
    if you have a CD you can just rip it using CDEX its a freeware program

How can I rip music's from play station? In other words, continuous music that never ends when I play, like Final Fantasy, Crisis Beat.

I want rip the music from Speed Power Gunbike, but I don't now how to do.

I'm only here for the soundtracks. Jim Raynor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberSpark View Post
    Well I see Sarah already answered your question. this is why converting from lossless to[Hidden link. Register to see links.] degrades quality: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Is it really that important, though? Unless you can actually hear a difference without "training your ears" or something(such as: mp3s at less than 160 kb/s, wmas at less than 128 kb/s, compressed .wavs, low quality .oggs, etc.), there's really no point in lossless compression. Maybe I'm just not an audiophile, but I can't hear any difference between an uncompressed .wav, a 320 kb/s mp3, or a 160 kb/s mp3. Lossless just takes up unnecessary space on your hard drive, in my opinion.

I know it took awhile but I finally updated this tutorial. It's chock-full of information that I've collected though asking various questions throughout website as well as some trial and error.

There's way more in here then most other tutorials, it'll even show you how to do the reverse and burn data that you receive in this way back onto CD and also ways of tagging the audio and uploading to sites like this one or for archival purposes.

I hope that everyone here finds this info to be useful. I been wanting a proper lossless guild here for awhile now.
    Please tell me if anything is inaccurate, or perhaps to confusing so that I can make adjustments.

re: Jim Raynor

i have frequented enough audio production forums to say this simply:

true lossless/320kbps quality: good for keeping your ears healthy. all the sound frequencies are not mistranslated

quality other than that: bad. because as what others have said, the representation of the actual recording is lost and your judgement of quality recordings will also become skewed.

+one example i had was i was playing music at a gathering and i had mashed up a hip hop breakbeat over final fantasy viii - breezy playing at 128kbps on them "big ass" speakers. nevermind the hip hop beat but the point is the guitars sounded like shit. then i complained how bad it was and asked my cousin's cd copy. we started fighting and we started comparing the quality played at the same volume (haha). big difference, let me tell you.

i dont know, take what i said for what it is, it's just my opinion that i would prefer quality representations so that i can complain later in life about how my grandchildrens' screams are ear piercing.

p.s. ipod earphones are the worst

Onion Kid
    excellent work and well done.

Onion Kid
    Another way to rip CDs comes automatically with every computer: Windows Media Player. What you after you open Windows Media Player is click on 'view' and select 'full mode', then select 'rip', then insert the CD you want to rip and press 'rip'.

Hehe. Well WMP is one way of doing it but it lacks some crucial features and abilities that Exact Audio Copy has. The purpose of my guide is to show how to make an "exact" copy of an audio CD (both for archiving and recreating of a physical disc).

For one thing, WMP lacks Error Recovery which EAC uses to correct flawed or missing samples. Another thing that WMP lacks is Drive Offset correction, seeing as WMP will read/rip a CD as is without correcting your CD/DVD-ROM drive's sample offsets.

There are a ton of other things that WMP is missing which prevent it from making "exact" audio copies but yes, it is a nice and easy way to rip CDs for those that don't care about all of the above stuff.

Shriner
    GREAT job cyberspark. Very informative. I always wondered what everyone was talking about when they said ripped lossless copy with EAC.

I'll be sure to go an punch my brother.

He said that EAC stood for eagles always crap...which, to be fair all living things do. Not just eagles. Why single them out?

Lol. Glad I could help. I might do a small update soon.

So if you insert an Xbox / PS1/ PS2 etc disc, you should be able to rip the audio off it? Or does this only work with ISO files?

I went all the way to the actual ripping step. I inserted Crash Bandicoot 2 for PS1, but it says that there is no CD in the drive.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Nope, sorry, this program doesn't work that way, it'll only rip CDs with audio tracks on it. There are other site like hcs64 (forums) that can help you with your request.

GOD I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!
    i've been searching around fo a loooong time to find this info quick and easy.
    THANKS!!!!!
    TZEECH

Shriner
    Thanks for writing this guide so more people can know about Exact Audio Copy, but the drive settings need more clarification and revision. [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.], who both strive for audio fidelity, recommend disabling C2 error correction and enabling Accurate Stream and audio cache for a proper rip.

Quote Originally Posted by tra GNIK View Post
    Thanks for writing this guide so more people can know about Exact Audio Copy, but the drive settings need more clarification and revision. [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.], who both strive for audio fidelity, recommend disabling C2 error correction and enabling Accurate Stream and audio cache for a proper rip.
    Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at those articles and make the appropriate adjustments to my tutorial.

Cereal Box with an Attitude
    I hate to be so ignorant, but can you tell me how I can compare to a database how good my rip is versus a perfect CD?
    btw, amazing tutorial!
    very insightful!

I'm still looking for a way to rip on OS X....

Oops. I forgot to bump this thread.

The tutorial is now back online and with many new improvements ([Hidden link. Register to see links.]).

Quote Originally Posted by tra GNIK View Post
    (referring to the old tutorial) Thanks for writing this guide so more people can know about Exact Audio Copy, but the drive settings need more clarification and revision. [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.], who both strive for audio fidelity, recommend disabling C2 error correction and enabling Accurate Stream and audio cache for a proper rip.
    Hows it be tra GNIK. I've done some research on this actually. The thing about C2 pointers is that although the drive reports that it can make use of this feature, many drives don't report all of the C2 information, this can result in EAC falsely reporting an error when none actually exist, and this is most likely the reason as to why many tutorials say to disable the feature. However, there's kind of a way to test this that doesn't involve the really long process of [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

In my current tutorial, I recommend that if EAC reports that a drive is capable of using this feature, that it should enabled but it must be used in conjunction with Test & Copy and in this way the user can still check for any errors that may have resulted due to inconsistencies produced by C2 and disable it based on the results and only after they've check two other possibilities for the error. If you're wondering why enable this feature at all, it because it provides a speed increase when ripping the CD.

In regards to the Audio cache, I don't see any reason why users should forcibly enable a feature if they're drive doesn't support it, especially too when the creator of the program recommends against using a drive that supports this feature if there's choice. Having it enabled for drives that support it and disabled for drive that don't won't make any difference in EAC's ability to accurately retrieve data from the disc, the only thing is that having it enabled will really slow down the ripping process.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatie13 View Post
    I hate to be so ignorant, but can you tell me how I can compare to a database how good my rip is versus a perfect CD?
    btw, amazing tutorial!
    very insightful!
    Hey Wheatie13. The short answer to your question, although really late (sorry), is Yes. In my most recent tutorial, I show users how to configure Exact Audio Copy to use AccurateRip which is a service that will compare your rip, track by track, to rips stored in it's own database. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchesco View Post
    I'm still looking for a way to rip on OS X....
    Well, I don't know very much about this, but from what I've read you can run Exact Audio Copy on a Mac if you install [Hidden link. Register to see links.] or [Hidden link. Register to see links.] for Mac Intel chipsets.