Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anime Titles that deserve more attention

professional sun praiser ROKUSHO's Avatar
    im gonna go ancient history here:

gekko kamen (AKA in latin america as CENTELLA)

big fan of him, a childhood hero to me.

TESTUJIN 28 (AKA ironman 28, the 80's version, though the 60's version created the mecha concept manga/anime)

another childhood hero, and a big fan... i mean, LOOK AT HIM! HES A BAD ASS ROBOT, and that policeman is mario, PROVE ME WRONG, i dare you.

gegege no kitaro (the 80-90's version, though i havent seen the 2000's version)

i never could really see much of this series because after 5 episodes the channel where it was aired canceled it, along with their entire anime block.

and last but DEFINETELY not least:

DRAGON QUEST (AKA in latin america as las aventuras de fly)

this one was cancelled after 46 episodes, but if a bunch of frenchies made possible the creation of the hades saga in anime (saint seiya), then millions of fans can make the continuation of DQ a reality.
    i dare anyone to say the fight against hyunkel didnt have EPIC labeled everywhere.
    besides, the ending has one of the most powerful lyrics i have ever heard, along with hunter X hunter's ending. (in spanish, of course)
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    many of my posts are paid for by the department of redundancy deparment's payment
    as of recently and for the rest of winter, expect many typos. my hands are freezing during the night
    #gamefaqssupportswomenbeaters

RAF Fighter Pilot/#1 most Rambo-like/retarded widow maker's Avatar
    surprised at this but:
    1)Mahoromatic - haven't seen ANYONE mention either of its 2 series.
    2)Coyote Ragtime Show - simply a great rebirth of the ever fantastic Cowboy Bebop
    3)Jungre De Ikou - how can something with transformation sequences like this not be better known? plus the comic showcasing is off the chain!

i have to agree with whoever it was mentioning Cosplay Complex, it doesn't get enough attention and is hilarious. Puni Puni Poemy isn't that well known for a reason, it's just not that good, granted it is funny in places but it isn't quite high standard Anime.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] by [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

professional sun praiser ROKUSHO's Avatar
    i agree, i expected puni puni to be completely about random insanity.
    but we get a poorly concieved maho-shoujo, uninteresting and boring 5 sisters (the one with the huge boobs annoyed me the most, and i like huge boobs).
    and WAY fast dialogue to understand what they are saying and laugh if it was meant to be funny.
    a friend showed me the first minutes of the show and i LOLD very hard, then got the 2 episodes on my own, and i partly regret it.
    i was partly dissapointed.

Some of those anime series you posted Catastrophe look quite interesting...
    I find there's a lack of discussion on Cyborg 009, a lot of Studio 4c's stuff, Osamu Tezuka's old experimental shorts, anything by Koji Yamamura, Metropolis...

There are lots of anime I have seen which few people have. Some of the most unknown of them are:

- Sakigake!! Otoko Juku: A classic shonen school/comedy/action by Toei Animation based on the manga with the same name by Shonen Jump. It's famous mainly in Japan. A fansub has been released but stalled after few episodes. Too shame.

- Sekushi Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo! Masaru-san: Just like Sakigake!! Otoko Juku, it was based on a manga released by Shonen Jump. The anime adaption was made by the famous anime director Akitaro Daichi (Akazukin Chacha, Fruits Basket, Kodomo no Omocha, Now and Then, Here and There e.t.c.). One of the most original, bizzare and hilarious comedies I've even seen. If you think Excel Saga was the most bizzare thing you've ever seen, think it again. :P Fortunately, there is a great, complete fansub for Sekushi Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo! Masaru-san.

Quote Originally Posted by shin_okita View Post
    Let's Nupu Nupu
    I have a friend of mine which is a huge fan of this anime and made me watch it as well. I have seen few episode (sometime I'll watch the rest of them) and it was quite entertaining.

With A Shrimp Steak Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsu Koneko View Post
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

we people space with phantoms avilslare's Avatar
    Gasaraki
    Planetes
    The Legend of Black Heaven

Hunter X Hunter is the one title that I think deserves more attention. It has an instant likeability factor that is seldom seen, but I think it flies under most people's radar.

I agree with Planetes, this is a great title.
    My: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Sites: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ft. [Hidden link. Register to see links.] box designs.

GTO
    Mushishi
    Haibane Renmei
    ef: tale of memories

Grand Shriner
    Two that I can think of off the top of my head that NEED, nay, DEMAND more attention because of their awesomeness:

Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom
    Golgo 13

Anyone who likes Noir would LOVE those two anime! Too bad they won't be coming to the US for a long time(if ever ).
    If I ever go on a hopeless quest against the Evil Overlord...

20. If my girlfriend is in clear, imminent danger of becoming the next Sacrificial Virgin, I will at least suggest the obvious, even if it gets me slapped.

27. Unless my name is Jackie Chan, I will not, after disabling three attackers, one with a pistol, one with a machine gun, and one with a stick, pick up the stick.

Onion Kid
    Oniisama E, The Big O and Ushio to Tora! Man, that anime didn't get any justice! Ushio to Tora needed a tv series, not just 10 fuckin' episodes!

Crurophilous Misodoctakleidist Rudy Roughnight's Avatar
    Kino's Journey.

Definitely one of the most beautiful and amazing anime ever, but it's so unheard of.

Comic Party - The MOST hilarious anime ever. I wish I still had my DVDs >.< And there was another anime that I can't remember the name of. But it had vampires, and there was a guy and a girl in it. It was very bloody... I only saw the first 3 or 4 episodes, but I want more! XD

Cactaur goes buck wild!1 Katzoe's Avatar
    Don't know if these were mentioned before, haven't read the whole thread:

GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka)
    Very amusing Manga, but it doesn't seem too popular...
    Hayata No Gotoku(Hayate the Combat Butler)
    Funny Story of an in-depted Butler who works for a rich ojou-sama in order to pay off his one hundred and fifty million dept
    Fairy Tail
    A story about a mage-guild called Fairy Tail, somehow it reminds me on One Piece
    Rurouni Kenshin
    The story of the former Hitokiri Battousai who has sworn to never kill again

and last but not least:
    Bleach
    i know this is rather well known, but around here nobody really seems to know it

I must say i'm from germany, maybe that's why
    Aku - Soku - Zan

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Battle Flag of the Star (series) aka Crest of the Stars; Banner of the Stars I, II, & III.

Epic anime set in space with a mature lover story (SEE: Not a harem or slapstick comedy, but a slow and buddy romance, like Clanned).

Deep, well thought out characters and nations/creatures.

One of the best animes of all time, but it gets little love.

I definitely agree with Mai HiME and Mai Otome, although a little less romance wouldn't hurt >_>

But I can't see anyone mentioning Mahoromatic. Thanks to a really nice story (that the descriptions usually don't describe too well -_-), I guess it could use a little more love.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanis_lionheart View Post
    Battle Flag of the Star (series) aka Crest of the Stars; Banner of the Stars I, II, & III.

Epic anime set in space with a mature lover story (SEE: Not a harem or slapstick comedy, but a slow and buddy romance, like Clanned).

Deep, well thought out characters and nations/creatures.

One of the best animes of all time, but it gets little love.

You have crossed the threshold into the realm of awesomeness.

Now improve your spelling and punctuation to earn a seat in the royal court.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation, it was one of my first anime, and I still love it. Yet people have never heard of it.

Vampire Princess Miyu; well, it may be a little more well known. But you rarely see anyone discussing it, or putting it in top ten lists, or anything.

Maria Holic; just pure win. Everyone should see it. <3

we people space with phantoms avilslare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatsukoi View Post
    Iria: Zeiram the Animation, it was one of my first anime, and I still love it. Yet people have never heard of it.
    Definitely. I first saw this with older brother who introduced me to anime and it's great. The live action films are worth a view as well.

Gantz
    I see light to the east...morning is coming
    The most beautiful sunrise ever
    And the sun will continue to rise now and forever...

Righful owner of the matrix jewess crabcake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    You have crossed the threshold into the realm of awesomeness.

Now improve your spelling and punctuation to earn a seat in the royal court.
    If Prak backs it I'll watch it.

You own a Xbox 360? Join the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] today!

The best are:
    Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette,
    Emma: Victorian Romance,
    Saiunkoku Monogatari,
    Sailor Moon,
    Candy-Candy
    Every man builds his future himself....

You have crossed the threshold into the realm of awesomeness. Now improve your spelling and punctuation to earn a seat in the royal court.
    No hablah Nah-si de gram-hur? :P
    But, I'd rather be part of the royal harem myself...Lafiel being there and all that.

But, yes, it is a truly amazing series.
    Too bad the book translations are slow as hell, same goes for the manga. Worse than 'Berserk' and that's saying something!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatsukoi View Post
    Maria Holic; just pure win. Everyone should see it. <3
    Iria is a fine anime, grabbed the box set a while back. Well worth the purchase.

Maria Holic is a mix for me, it felt a little rushed and the ending just kind of...ended. I'd love to see a second season.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    I actually bought the first 3 books, but gave up trying to follow along with the releases. Of course, I also gave up on Berserk, so I guess I'm just impatient.

I actually bought the first 3 books, but gave up trying to follow along with the releases. Of course, I also gave up on Berserk, so I guess I'm just impatient.
    I don't really blame you.

Both the writers/artists behind both series take their sweat time.

At least Claymore gets 1 chapter per month; Berserk is luckily to get 3 out per year.