Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anime Titles that deserve more attention

Betterman by Sunrise's internal Studio 7, from 1999.

I absolutely loved an eerie atmosphere and mysterious plot combined with comical situations.
    Great pace, story progression and an ultimate reveal of the main antagonistic entity.
    Scientific and psychological terms of the show are based on real life aspects.
    Excellent character development and believable personal issues. Art by Takahiro Kimura and is excellent as always.
    Overall it is one of my favorite "unknown" shows. A unique combination of comedy, horror, sci-fi and action.

Hopefully someday Japanese will re-release it on Bluray, I'll be very glad to purchase the original from overseas.
    - Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Hip Hop That Sounds Pretty HDHipHop1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MiLØ View Post
    Betterman by Sunrise's internal Studio 7, from 1999.

I absolutely loved an eerie atmosphere and mysterious plot combined with comical situations.
    Great pace, story progression and an ultimate reveal of the main antagonistic entity.
    Scientific and psychological terms of the show are based on real life aspects.
    Excellent character development and believable personal issues. Art by Takahiro Kimura and is excellent as always.
    Overall it is one of my favorite "unknown" shows. A unique combination of comedy, horror, sci-fi and action.

Hopefully someday Japanese will re-release it on Bluray, I'll be very glad to purchase the original from overseas.
    Betterman confused the fuck out of me at times but it wasn't wholly unpleasant.

Maybe a second runthrough will help me better understand it.
    Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth. - Saul Williams
    Helping the "decline" of humanity by not giving two fucks about old, European-style music. - some African
    I listen to hip-hop, so that dead white men will spin in their graves. - a degenerate African

Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    Betterman confused the fuck out of me at times but it wasn't wholly unpleasant.

Maybe a second runthrough will help me better understand it.
    Really? While I think the show is a little more intelligent then other mecha/sci-fi series, it's actually not all that complicated.
    The basic knowledge of biology and psychology is enough to fully enjoy it. They don't just throw a bunch of smart words at the viewer, that would require him to do an extensive external research in order to get a better idea of whatta hell is going on - no, they go along with it and explain (or remind) what means what.

I don't consider myself being too nerdy or "intellectually advanced" and was able to follow the story without getting lost.

But just like any other good show it should have something new for a viewer to learn or make him want to learn, and Betterman did that for me just fine.

All in all it was a near perfect blend of smart, spooky, funny and action-oriented type of entertainment for me.
    If you couldn't get into it the first time, but though it had a potential - by all means you should give it another try.

Knight of the Dark Glyphs Seig Warheit's Avatar
    I watched this trailer a few days ago and I thought it was pretty cool! It's for this anime PES. It's an anime from Toyota, and it's nicely animated. Not a lot of people have been talking about it except for a couple of blogs I've seen, but yeah here check it out: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Gunbusters was fun. Plus it's only 6 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Misu View Post
    <3 Guys, take note of this. Tom knows how to talk to the ladies. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by cuckoo77 View Post
    I think Neg disqualified jesus and love though.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

The 6-episode Murder Princess, because it has a very funny story set up in a medieval-like world, funny characters and a very nice seiyuu cast.

Onion Kid
    The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, a tale of Justy Ueki Tylor, a young man who joins the space force for an "easy life" (free food, free clothing, free room and board, sleeping all day in a cryo-capsule on the way to the front) and is assigned by his superiors to the be captain of the destroyer Soyokaze, in the hopes that it will lead him to a quick death. It doesn't. The Soyokaze is mostly a ship of misfits and ne'er do wells with a compliment of marines whose favorite activities include mutiny and fighting with the pilots and mechanics. As those around him try to decide if he's an idiot or a genius a war starts brewing between the United Planets Space Force and the Raalgon Galactic Empire, and Tylor and his crew are right in the middle of it.

canyonwolf
    three

Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru - If you can't stand incest in any way, then don't watch it.
    Papa to Kiss in the Dark - I don't think that it's really ffamous (not even recognized by yoi fangirls).
    Saishū Heiki Kanojo: Another Love Song - The anime got a lot of attention but I think that the OVA didn't.
    ¿?

Onion Kid
    Mushi-Shi - great slice of life show. nonschematic - it's just telling simple but emotional srories.

Outlaw Star. I want to see Gene Starwind make a name for himself, and what adventures he and his crew get into.

I like The Tatami Galaxy(yojouhan shinwa taikei) very much. The story is very interesting, but too sad that not many people know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toonami Tunes View Post
    Gunbusters was fun. Plus it's only 6 episodes.
    Gunbusters. "Space is not a vacuum!" Totally awesome.

Onion Kid
    Samurai 7 & B-Daman Bakugaiden were awesome. The former is mature themed with loads of action while the B-Daman Bakugaiden series beats all the other B-Daman anime series till today hands down.

Onion Kid
    yeah .. mixed feeling .. some of them are worthy to get into notice while otters are just titles not so effective

Hagane no Tamashii
    Kidou Shin Seiki Gundam X

The shortest and the most "hated" Gundam series... which is weird because it's also the _best_ Gundam series Try it, it's awesome~

i've been watching the original Saint Seiya and i think its great. i'd only seen a few random eps and some of the Knights of the Zodiac eps that were on Toonami about ten years ago. Saint Seiya Omega is a lot of fun as well.

Onion Kid
    - Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken (anime-koi is translating it onto English while I translate it into German)
    - Toshokan Sensou

Onion Kid
    Chihayafuru is amazing, god knows how the second season got the green light considering the sales for the first season bombed. Been trying to pick up the Manga to carry it on but it's just not the same

Hagane no Tamashii
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - with Masterpiece's subs. Amazing.

Mushishi - exceedingly simple and complex at the same time. Amazing artwork as well.
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Black comedy at its finest.
    Gankutsuou - Can't say I've seen a better or more stylistic adaptation of the original novel.

^ haven't seen Mushishi but I agree about Zetsubou Sensei and Gankutsuou. Works from GONZO range from 1 to 10 (on a scale of 10).
    Can be a total schlock, can be a bloody masterpiece. Gankutsuou is closer to the latter.

Gintama - most of the people watched the first season only (and its not that bad), this anime completely changed at *episode 59*

Hagane no Tamashii
    Danganronpa -Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei- the ANIMATION

Seriously, there is STILL no Blu-ray version subbed! Did you know the episode 13 is over 34 minutes long in Blu-ray, and no one hasn't subbed it... That's pure blasphemy I say... People really shunned the anime because it was too short. I think the fast-pacedness of the anime was awesome, it made me interested in the game - and that's is the whole INTENTION of director's, to make people play the actual game. I truly wish DR2 will be animated too someday, but maybe the cold-heartedness of people scared Lerche and Spike-Chunsoft...

Earth Girl Arjuna
    /;