Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Square-Enix is milking FFVII way too much

Quote Originally Posted by Temarivosa View Post
    They milk it as much as they want and I'd still buy 'em Besides all I really want is a really good FF7 remake w/o a bunch of crap thrown into them
    I retract the above statement. Way too much back story. Also this thread is dead. RIP.

The point isn't that it's not fair on other games. It's mostly the fan boys losing interest because one game didn't turn out as good as the other million, which ruins it. I personally am not bored of the FF7 story, but the games wasn't needed. FF7 honestly lost it's unique storyline because of the spin-offs.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Yes, I was being sarcastic.

No, they still have to compete against these games, regardless of genre. It's been stated a number of times, by CEOs from companies including Square, Enix, and Taito, that one of the reasons for this new style of marketing and all the mergers is because in the global market, Square has trouble competing with other developers.
    But it's not just Square now is it? Ever game company out there has to compete with each other, to make a product which can compete with other companies products to survive.

It doesn't matter what the genres are. Money spent on one game is money taken away from another. Look at the box office, where comedy movies compete against dramas on a weekly basis.
    How so? I know people who work in game stores and even they've commented on how some genre of game outsells the other. Personally, I am a fan of RPG's, but lately I've felt 'disenlightened' with some of the offerings available at this time

No offense to the man, but he was also the one who LEFT them going bankrupt in the 90's, or have you forgotten about The Spirits Within?
    That may be so, but if he hadn't of created the Final Fantasy series when he did, then Square wouldn't of been around to make the mistake that was 'The Spirits Within'.

And also, please explain Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals. It was a 3-episode OVA released in 1994, and was a sequel to Final Fantasy V.
    Did Sakaguchi have a hand in it? Sakaguchi had made it clear in the past, he never intended for any sequels to be made to any FF game. My own personal feeling about these sequels/prequels and such, is to leave the story (the sequel or whatever is based off of) alone, and focus on other titles.

For example, how many times have we gone back to Ivalice? FFT, FFTA and FFXII... true all set within different time frames, but still in the same world.

Originally posted by Quantum Link

The point isn't that it's not fair on other games. It's mostly the fan boys losing interest because one game didn't turn out as good as the other million, which ruins it. I personally am not bored of the FF7 story, but the games wasn't needed. FF7 honestly lost it's unique storyline because of the spin-offs.
    The FFVII story has been diluted imo, to suit these sequels/prequels/whatever. The development team who worked on Dirge of Cerberus had nothing to do with FFVII, and imo 'screwed the pooch' so to speak, with the story about Vincent Valentine.

Don't get me wrong, I think FFVII is a good game... but has been done to death with all these 'extras'.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Shriner
    I reckon if a development team can stay true to the original, and not just use the name as a premise for some stupid spin-off that has nothing to do with the original storyline or universe, for that matter, it should be given a chance.
    For that reason, I think AC was good. Also, I think if FFVII was re-made for the many people who have never gotten a chance to play the original, as long as it had the EXACT same storyline, and doesn't have some crazy development team, it'd be ok in my books.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennimo225 View Post
    I reckon if a development team can stay true to the original, and not just use the name as a premise for some stupid spin-off that has nothing to do with the original storyline or universe, for that matter, it should be given a chance.
    For that reason, I think AC was good. Also, I think if FFVII was re-made for the many people who have never gotten a chance to play the original, as long as it had the EXACT same storyline, and doesn't have some crazy development team, it'd be ok in my books.
    Okay, I've been holding this back for a while now, but I'm finally going to say it. This whole "remake it for people who've never gotten to play the original" idea is pure nonsense. People who haven't played it before can dredge up a copy of it. If S-E really wants people exposed to it, they can easily start printing it again and put an attractive price tag on it.

No, the real idea behind that mentality is the crazy fankids' desire for the game to start garnering more undeserved attention again, and the only way it's coming back to the forefront of gaming is through a remake. And you know what, it's best left dead. Gaming has moved on. The industry should not slow down or halt its advancement just because a segment of their customer base are retarded fankids who rooted themselves at a certain moment in the past and made themselves unable to appreciate how much better things are now.

Little people? LITTLE PEOPLE!? Octiron's Avatar
    Prak, shut the fuck up. What do you know, all cooped up in your room and exposing us all to your bullshit. Man, I know this is the internet but damn, all you ever do is help the flow of garbage. Reiterating: shut the fuck up.

Oh shit, Octiron's faggotry seems to be spreading.

Sig too big

damn right!

Quote Originally Posted by gokarma View Post
    Square-Enix has been very concentrated on the FFVII Compilation more than anything else-- Advent Children, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, and Last Order. FFVII is still one of my favorite videogames, but I think Square-Enix is going a little overboard with all this bloated FFVII fluff: an OVA, a mobile phone game, a shooter, a CG anime... in which they're all mediocre at best. The last thing I want is for FFVII to become another Star Wars or Disney franchise: series that have been milked up so much by the company that their original aura just dried up. I wish Square-Enix never began these FFVII sellout projects; it makes them look like some self-indulgent conglomerate.

Some of the greatest games have never needed sequels, remakes, or commercialized off-shoot mediums to keep their respective place in history, such as NiGHTS Into Dreams, Vagrant Story, and StarCraft. FFVII should've been, and was, one of those. I say leave the classics alone.
    Square as pushed it into a goofy nightmare, it gets to a point were it dosent make sense, FFVII should have ended in the begining...alltough i really like Advent Children, after all it's the best Japanese CG movie...all the others are just pointless and boring.

Little people? LITTLE PEOPLE!? Octiron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by water2water View Post
    alltough i really like Advent Children, after all it's the best Japanese CG movie...all the others are just pointless and boring.

lol wot? What a stupefying maroon.

Lawl, I agree with Octiron.

*commit suicide*

Quote Originally Posted by Octiron View Post
    lol wot? What a stupefying maroon.
    need some english lessons there pal...?

EVEN THE HERO TURNS DARK SOMETIMES...

Need to die in a fire pal?

Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    Need to die in a fire pal?
    ups...someone's not happy...

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    Okay, I've been holding this back for a while now, but I'm finally going to say it. This whole "remake it for people who've never gotten to play the original" idea is pure nonsense. People who haven't played it before can dredge up a copy of it. If S-E really wants people exposed to it, they can easily start printing it again and put an attractive price tag on it.
    Ok, First of all, I haven't actually played FFVII, of course, I know the storyline and everything, but I haven't actually played it. Why? Because by the time I got into videogames, it was out of production, and for some reason "dredging up" a copy of FFVII is actually pretty complicated.
    And finally, do you know what happens to games which are re-released without AT LEAST a graphical update? (with a few exceptions) They get slammed for being a lazy cash grab.
    So basically, you're saying S-E making an UPDATED version of VII is a cash-grab, but just re-printing a game is perfectly fine?
    I wonder where your logic went.

Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar
    Because by the time I got into videogames, it was out of production, and for some reason "dredging up" a copy of FFVII is actually pretty complicated.
    Ever hear of eBay? There's about 150 copies of the game up for auction right now. You can get a discs-only for 13 USD, or a sealed greatest hits copy for 90. Most of the usual "complete" copies (played, but in good condition with the book and case) are averaging 30 USD right now. I know this because I just took a whole two minutes to look. What I'm trying to say is that you're either not trying to find the game, wholly ignorant of the interweb in general, or you're just a minor who can't borrow the credit card from mom and dad.

And finally, do you know what happens to games which are re-released without AT LEAST a graphical update? (with a few exceptions) They get slammed for being a lazy cash grab.
    Pretty much all the FF remakes on PSX would beg to differ. So would the Namco Museum games. So would, oh, EVERYTHING on Ninty's Virtual Console. Not to mention every single Greatest Hits and Platinum Hits game for PSX, PS2, and Xbox.

So basically, you're saying S-E making an UPDATED version of VII is a cash-grab, but just re-printing a game is perfectly fine?
    Yeah, he didn't say that at all. Hooked on phonics, bro.
    Thanks to Garamond for the sig/ava!

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Pretty much exactly what I would have said, Cyan, albeit a bit less abrasive than I would have preferred, so I'll just take this opportunity to call the idiot in question a dumb cunt.

Shriner
    Lol, everyone's so opinionated about this topic...or, just bored.
    I don't think everyone's going to completely agree, but can we say that Square should move on to something else?

I. . .am. . .the. . .GRAEYSTONE! Graeystone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennimo225 View Post
    Lol, everyone's so opinionated about this topic...or, just bored.
    I don't think everyone's going to completely agree, but can we say that Square should move on to something else?
    Yeah, like a Chrono Trigger remake!(Kidding!)

Let's look at another RPG that was released at around the same time as FF VII. Wild ARMs. Sony did a total overhaul of Wild ARMs while keeping with the main theme and story of the game. They even improved on the original in many ways. For example, one of the biggest complaints about the original was not being able to use Jane in the party so the developers made Jane a playable character in Code F.

So what's stopping S-E from overhauling FF VII and improving(THE ENDING, SQUARE, THE #$#@#ING ENDING!) on the original and making a really great product? Nothing that I can think of. . .unless they royally screw up and end up with another Chrono Cross, or just bad, *shudder* Dawn of Mana.
    AOL chatroom survivor, ex-forum moderator, former IRC Operator. . .bring it on punks!

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeystone View Post
    So what's stopping S-E from overhauling FF VII and improving(THE ENDING, SQUARE, THE #$#@#ING ENDING!) on the original and making a really great product? Nothing that I can think of. . .unless they royally screw up and end up with another Chrono Cross, or just bad, *shudder* Dawn of Mana.
    If by 'improving', you mean changing, a lot of people are going to get very angry.

Because the game is very popular.And fans would like to know more about this story.Also, a 3D version can make the characters more vivid.
    おまえが 俺の生きた证

Here's looking at you, kid. Espanha's Avatar
    Fuck off with the remake of FFVII already. We've had enough of FFVII stuff. It should've stopped with AC, that piece of trash (lol Hynad c wut i did thar?).

Seriously. I like the game and all but fucking move on.

I also think there's way too much with the FFVII compilation. It was cool for awhile, but it just got to be too much after Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus.

I loved it when Final Fantasy VII Advent Children was out, was cool with the Before Crisis and DoC, but after hearing about the Crisis Core and rumors about the FFVII remake I was like "okay this is way too much".

If FFVII deserves all these compilations, don't all the original FFs do (FF-FFVI)? We all know FFX got a sequal.

FFVIII and FFIX also still needs something to come after that no?
    Check out my Resident Evil & Silent Hill Quote Quiz:

The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    While a remake of FFVII would be pretty and all, I'd rather get the original.

What I think deserves a re-release though, is Secret of Mana.

Onion Kid
    What really deserves a sequel/remake is Einhander. End of story.

Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner. Hynad's Avatar
    I can think of some other great Squaresoft series that should get sequels.

Bushido Blade, Tobal and Chrono (the first was the best of the two, but both were impressive games in their own rights *** Duh! for stating the obvious! ^^).