Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Spirits Within or FF: AC

Obviously Advent Children because its based on one of the best games ever made that is Final Fantasy VII. The Spirits Within is boring and doesnt really relate to Final Fantasy at all.

"Tell me what you cherish the most....give me the pleasure of taking it away"
    -Sephiroth-

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]. ************.com/fflandsforum

New site in progress!

Quote Originally Posted by a_nirvana_fan
    Obviously Advent Children because its based on one of the best games ever made that is Final Fantasy VII. The Spirits Within is boring and doesnt really relate to Final Fantasy at all.
    I first saw Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within when i hardly knew anything about Final Fantasy, so back then, rating it with the factor that it's supposed to be a part of Final Fantasy, didn't occur. Then again, i was pretty young when i saw it, so the overwhelming graphics did more than the storyline, which was pretty vague anyhow. =/ I still enjoyed that film.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] / [Hidden link. Register to see links.] / [Hidden link. Register to see links.] / [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    AVATHAR/TRENT/PANDA SURF/SEA ORG/TRENTINGTON

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a_nirvana_fan
    Fail.

A movie based on a good videogame isn't automatically (and in most cases not) a good film.

Onion Kid
    AC had a lot more eye candy than Spirits Within. I prefer swords over guns so it was more exciting to watch AC. Sure Spirits Within had a better structured storyline because you didn't have to know any background information buuuuuut, I still preferred AC since I knew the background information. Contrary to Prak's belief...the CG Animation for AC is better than that of TSW. <_<

I think its wrong to automatically downgrade TSW because it had "Final Fantasy" in it and didn't deliver that "FF Factor" buut meh, AC was still better.

O noes, fanboy response FTW....not.

Fail.

You have not provided information to justify your claim that AC's animation was better. You have also claimed that AC was "better" without providing any clear reason as to why. All you said was "eye candy zomg" and "swords lolz," which are nothing but personal preferences and nothing to do with what makes a good film.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak
    Fail.

You have not provided information to justify your claim that AC's animation was better. You have also claimed that AC was "better" without providing any clear reason as to why. All you said was "eye candy zomg" and "swords lolz," which are nothing but personal preferences and nothing to do with what makes a good film.
    True...but last I checked this was a personal opinion thread and therefore I was giving my personal opinion. If I like swords over guns and enjoy seeing characters from FF7 come back to life as opposed to watching soldiers run around dodging pissed off ghosts and collecting spirits here and there then thats my prerogative.

As for the CGI comparison, I can't get proper pictures to compare as they are either too small...too big, too closed up, too far away to give any real comparison without favoring one or the other. Sorry. <_<

Fact is though...neither is actually ranked as a "good film". Spirits Within ended up bankrupting Square Pictures and FF7AC was just...FF7AC. <_<

This is not a personal opinion thread. It is a debate thread about which movie is technically superior. Not about which is your favorite. Perhaps after the thread was remade following the rollback, that point failed to come across as clearly as it should have. However, it still remains.

And perhaps you're right about neither of them being a truly good film. However, the fact remains that Spirits Within was regarded by critics as a moderately decent film that was a landmark for CGI. Advent Children is regarded by those critics who have seen it as a poorly conceived mess of a film designed solely for rabid fans of the game who would have been happy with only seeing chocobos mate as long as it had the FFVII name on it and Cloud Strife poked his head in to say something emo every few minutes.

liberty for gore against nazi FFSrules Razorbunny's Avatar
    As a film enthousiast, i can agree with Prak about the absurd amount of overacted emo - stuff portrayed in AC and both films lacked a proper screenplay...the voice acting in TSW was far superior...TSW was a revelation in CGI, nothing more, nothing less...

But, speaking in a fanboy perception, i can relate to the fact that many prefer AC because of the known characters and easy-to-pick up storyline

however, in an objective point of view, neither was very good in cinematic terms
    Hello FFS...would you like to play a game?

Live or die...make your choice

Would you like to see my mask? Nightowl9910's Avatar
    I think probably a good summary of both of these films, having thought a little more on it since my last post, is that neither are exactly masterpieces, but TSW is the film that has the more professional touch out of the two from a technical angle.

i like TSW because of it's realism...nothing more...

i'm not a genius, but today i watch AC for the eleventh time...

which means that i prefer AC than TSW...
    I'm in love with milk tea
    Facebook = Zulzalihin Mohamed

Onion Kid
    This is not a personal opinion thread. It is a debate thread about which movie is technically superior. Not about which is your favorite. Perhaps after the thread was remade following the rollback, that point failed to come across as clearly as it should have. However, it still remains.

And perhaps you're right about neither of them being a truly good film. However, the fact remains that Spirits Within was regarded by critics as a moderately decent film that was a landmark for CGI. Advent Children is regarded by those critics who have seen it as a poorly conceived mess of a film designed solely for rabid fans of the game who would have been happy with only seeing chocobos mate as long as it had the FFVII name on it and Cloud Strife poked his head in to say something emo every few minutes.
    Woops, my bad on the personal opinion part. <_<

Anyhow, yes, you are right on the critics saying that Spirits Within was in fact the better of the two. And since its not a personal opinion...I suppose begrudginly, I have to say that Spirits Within did beat Advent Children on many aspects yet I will firmly say that I prefer Advent Children. Mmmkay?

Besides, as I've said before, I have absolutely no idea why fans of FFVII liked Advent Children. Consider this:

Final Fantasy VII is known (I argue that this is laughably wrong) for having a deep story and compelling characters. It is the element of the game that most fans tout as the reason for its supposed greatness. However, Advent Children does not live up to the plot of the original. It is a shameless cash-in. The characters all behave in extremely shallow ways. The movie is nothing but a brain-dead fight fest.

So why do fans like it? The movie is nothing like the game. It is merely a string of over-the-top action scenes bound by a paper-thin plot. Why is that good enough for people to regard as a worthy addition to the continuity of what they consider to be the best game ever? Did fans truly not want anything more? Is it really enough for them? If so, what does that say about the fans and the game itself?

It makes no sense at all.

Would you like to see my mask? Nightowl9910's Avatar

So why do fans like it? It is merely a string of over-the-top action scenes bound by a paper-thin plot.
    Likely just why alot of people did like it, as thats probably all they wanted out of the film along with the special effects, as for those who don't want to put much thought into watching a film it wasn't that hard to understand.

Plus of course there's the all mighty power of Sephiroth (lol sorry couldn't resist that last ).

I'll take that as a kindness. KaMoDiAn's Avatar
    hmm wasn't this a poll before? ah, well i suppose it's not an exact relaunch so.. anyways.. i'll try not to add spoilers

i think spirits within stood alone quite well and although alot of fans did not like it, their reasoning was shaky. since final fantasy stories don't interlink, i thought the absense of elemental magic was quite refreshing; the merging of both new technology and ancient spiritual energy usage for a story quite interesting. i loved l'arc en ciel for a long time, and thought it was a suitable choice at the end.

Advent children was pure eye candy. good candy, but it did not have as great an impact as when SW first came out. even my father was shocked since it looked better than any of my video games or that old max steele show. also, the plot leaves something to be desired as reviews claim it to be 'picking up' the story after the game ended- that statement is just an excuse to tell the viewers "if you don't get it, you just HAVE to play the game, it's not our fault, but we did our best by giving you a fillerinner in subtitles!". it just seems like further milking of a game that everyone will end up hating if they continue the abuse.

summary: AC (old and busted [concept]) <<< (this means much greater on the uber level) SW (new hotness [concepts])
    Z

Grand Shriner
    AC definately. I saw Spirits Within when i was about 10 and anything could stimulate me, and the movie still bore the shit out of me.

That's not what this thread is all about. It is supposed to be a debate thread about the merits/demerits of each film and which one is the superior work.

Craaaaaazy Monkey!!! O RLY Mood!!! Monkeydude's Avatar
    Spirits within sucks.. i think it's pointless... FFAC however is a sequel to a good game which makes it good

Screw it!!! My sig is too big!

I'll take that as a kindness. KaMoDiAn's Avatar
    that statement was kinda redundant. but i forgive you.

I don't know what redundant means.. oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeydude
    I don't know what redundant means.. oh well..
    It means that it was quite unnecessary, since it doesn't hold any decent arguement.

then i don't think my post was redundant..

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeydude
    Spirits within sucks.. i think it's pointless... FFAC however is a sequel to a good game which makes it good
    I don't see any redundancy, but it was a retarded statement. How exactly was TSW pointless? And why does being a sequel to a game automatically make AC good? I suspect you do not have intelligent answers to those questions, so I will not be expecting any.

Wha goes er???

Talking MONKEYDUDE!!

im agrein whi monkeydude AC was fuckin savage compared to the outer one!! mouse guy ur head is huge!!

I'm not surprised that you agree with a retarded post, considering that you seem to be rather vacuous yourself.