Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Thread: What anime introduced you into anime and you knew it was "anime"

would have to be Ninja Scroll, i watched that round a friends house & to this day
    it is still the BEST anime i've ever seen!!

does seeing the last unicorn when i was like 10 count?
    if not then it was tokyo revelation when i was about 14ish.

Would you like to see my mask? Nightowl9910's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifiel View Post
    does seeing the last unicorn when i was like 10 count?
    Hmm that's a good point there. Though, as far as I know, it's not a film that's generally classified as being anime, I've never been quite sure as to why it shouldn't be - although I'm sure there's a good reason for that.
    Dr Crane isn't here right now, but if you'd like to make an appointment....

Hana Yori Dango was the first anime that I knew was "anime."

Card captor sakura

i used to watch the very old school Astro Boy, Conan: The kid of the future, Mazinger Z and Robotech besides some old dramaish animes. But what realy introduced me to the full extent of anime was without a doubt Akira and Vampire Hunter D

Onion Kid
    Iria on the sci fi channel when I was young.

When I give signal, DO NOT CEASE FIRE! "Aye m8!"
    I used to watch Toonami in its hayday.... I didn't know too much about stuff from Japan. I used to be a big fan of DBZ. But I think Cowboy Bebop had the biggest influence on my tastes.

The first thing on English TV which was anime that I knew of was Pokemon, but I didn't like the series, I was more in tune with the games. Though I loved Dragonball Z, I don't know anyone who didn't.
    Part Bionic and Organic, not a Cyborg... Call me Psychotron.

I had always heard of anime in video game magazines. But when I was about 9, I remember Sci Fi channel having an animation fest. They said it was anime. So my first anime I saw was Dominion Tank Police (which I thought was the coolest) and the next night, I saw Project Ako.

My first anime would be Sailor Moon and Pokemon. I had seen Sailor Moon and some other old animes before, but only got to know they were anime about the time Pokemon was aired.

my first anime was Sailor Moon.But I didn't really know that it was classified as anime then so,I guess Cowboy Bebop would be my first.It's still my favorite to this day.

Kyoshiro
    twas akira 4 me

Captain Harlock, at the end of the 80s. I'm from the former Soviet Republic of Moldova, and it was the period when all the western films were breaking thru over the Iron Curtain. After the long bore of Soviet television, it was like another planet, mindblowing, it influenced even our dreams!

My friends had tried to get me into anime for years but I finially warmed up to anime when i stumbled across Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. I have been a hardcore fan since

Grand Shriner
    Princess Mononoke. It was the first one I knew it was anime. But I saw other stuff before (Pokemon as example) that just didn't knew it was called like that.

Good ol' Dragon Ballz.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (replace the "invision" with "invision-free" without the hyphen.)

Great Magnificent Awesomely Anne <3 secret7's Avatar
    sailormoon and dragonball dubbed in malay on tv2 every saturday and sunday.along time ago...when i was 8 or 9 years old.
    Secret7's Wishlists:
    [SIGPIC]http://forums.ffshrine.org/signaturepics/sigpic62193_1.gif[/SIGPIC]
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Probably Dragon ball or Sailor Moon. Or Saint Seiya.

was voltron an anime? man in first grade that show was pretty tight

The first anime I officially knew was anime was the Tenchi Muyo move, Tenchi Muyo in Love. You know, the one where they all time-travel to the seventies and such. It aired on the SciFi channel back in the day when SciFi was still of (dubious) quality, and it forever changed my worldview on animation. After that came Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Yotoden, Ronin Warriors... All classics, and all truly great. But Tenchi will always have a place in my bitter, withered heart. ^^
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

What an excellent topic! It's had a consistent and long life, it seems.

Anyway, the anime that got me hooked was Yakitate!! Japan. Previous to Yakitate!! Japan, I couldn't really get into anime for several reasons, one being that I had only ever heard about the ones that focus on grandiose fighting scenes. I'm really not into that type of anime, although I will put up with it if it's good for the plot.

Yakitate!! Japan. Funny, funny show.
    Must've been evil peanut butter.

Marceline
    Quote Originally Posted by Giga_Flare View Post
    Hmm that's a good point there. Though, as far as I know, it's not a film that's generally classified as being anime, I've never been quite sure as to why it shouldn't be - although I'm sure there's a good reason for that.
    Some of the staff who worked on The Last Unicorn later went on to work for Studio Ghibli, so maybe that's how the person who suggested that got confused, but it was made by American and British production companies and based on a (fantastic) novel by an American writer.

Would you like to see my mask? Nightowl9910's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndi View Post
    Some of the staff who worked on The Last Unicorn later went on to work for Studio Ghibli, so maybe that's how the person who suggested that got confused, but it was made by American and British production companies and based on a (fantastic) novel by an American writer.
    Ah, that explains things. I mistakenly thought before that the film was produced by a Japanese company. Many thanks for pointing that out.

Onion Kid
    My first anime that I knew was anime would be Sailor Moon. But... the first actual anime that I've ever watched as a little kid would be Noozles. Had no idea that that was Japanese made until I got older.