Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: FF7:AC - Why it ISN'T a good movie.

  1. #1
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039

    FF7:AC - Why it ISN'T a good movie.

    With all the hype and fanboy reactions, it can be hard to find out the truth about the movie. Well, I'm here to tell you that anyone with a hint of appreciation for good filmmaking is going to find Advent Children appalling. Why, you ask? Here's why:



    Story (spoilers)

    When I label this segment "story," I use the term very loosely. There basically is none. What little exists is:

    A. Badly written: The main characters speak with all the imagination and creativity of a preschooler's attempt at fanfiction. All they say (aside from utterly pointless battle lines) is exactly what is required to move the story (if you can call it that) from point A to point B. They display no depth beyond archetypal moods. None of the loose ends from the game are resolved. New loose ends are created, making the FFVII universe even more of a jumbled mess than it already was.

    B. Transparent: Almost from the moment the movie begins, it is obvious that the entire point of it is to bring Sephiroth back to life for another flashy battle and to show off all the characters in pretty graphics. Nothing comes as a surprise, except for one or two in-jokes that Final Fantasy fans alone will appreciate. And then, those have been so heavily spoiled that they're not likely to catch anyone off guard.

    C. Contradictory: What happened to Cloud? Why is he back to being such a moody, grumpy loner after getting over all that by the end of the game?

    Anyone who says the movie had a good story is an idiot or an irredeemable fanboy.


    Visuals

    In a word, overhyped. Sure, things look fairly pretty when they're not in motion, but it all falls to pieces in the action scenes. The character models degenerate into barely more than Barbie and Ken dolls. On top of that, the detail is a noticable step down from the standard set by The Spirits Within. Considering that TSW is several years old now, shouldn't they have been able to at least match their previous work?

    As for the aforementioned action sequences, it mostly looks like they were directed by a collaborative effort between Rob Cohen and Uwe Boll. Absurdly fast cuts are used excessively, making it hard to follow what's happening. At first glance, it seemed to me like it was detracting from those scenes, but on closer inspection, I noticed that there really wasn't anything happening at all. It would use three rapid cuts just to show Cloud making a simple turn on his bike in an attempt to make it seem like a complicated maneuver. That trend is upheld in all the action scenes. When you trace the movements, they really have practically no complexity at all.


    Audio

    The music was mostly decent enough. At the very least, there's nothing to complain about there. However, the character voices were terrible. It sounded like nearly every one of them was simply reading lines off a page, with no regard at all to actual acting. Some actors aren't absolutely deadpan in their delivery, but they still follow archtypal models and display no variance in their voices.

    The long FMV argument

    Some people try to justify a lot of what I've just talked about by saying that the movie was less of a movie than a long FMV. Bullshit. It is advertised and marketed as a movie. Money is being charged for it, just like a movie. It even had a limited theatrical release. It is a movie. It is a crappy one at that.

    It has absolutely zero merit as a stand-alone film because of its inaccessibility to people who haven't played the game. However, it is still going to be marketed to them through the movie's mainstream release. People who are unfamiliar with the Final Fantasy games will be picking it up, perhaps due to the pretty-looking graphics or their experience with TSW. They're going to be in for a major disappointment due to the disjointed story, lack of acting talent, and visual failures. Unless the movie comes with a big sticker that says, "DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE FINAL FANTASY VII VIDEO GAME," Square-Enix are absolute pricks to release it that way.


    Now, fill in the gaps I've left and show more ways the movie sucks. Or, if you're a hopeless fanboy, you can try to argue with me. Or just maybe, someone will learn something from this, notice that they've been a fanboy, and renounce their wicked ways.

  2. #2
    Arrogance nkwp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak
    The music was mostly decent enough. At the very least, there's nothing to complain about there. However, the character voices were terrible. It sounded like nearly every one of them was simply reading lines off a page, with no regard at all to actual acting. Some actors aren't absolutely deadpan in their delivery, but they still follow archtypal models and display no variance in their voices.
    I agree with most of the points you made above except for this. The voice acting part was true, the characters sounded really plastic and hollow.
    However the music (OST) was not decent in my opinion. It was shit, Uematsu should be shot for putting out such a shit piece of work. Even the OST arrangers could not save it from being so shit.

    I think The Spirits Within was a much better movie in terms of story, music (Elliot Goldenthal) and visuals. However when this movie comes out I am still going to invest in it because even though it was shit, I am a fan.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

    Originally Posted by Norma Lee Singer-Songwriter's Webpage
    Note: Different is refreshing!

  3. #3
    Delirium Of The Endless Tidus 66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Island Closest To Heaven
    Posts
    2,718
    @ Prak: Isn't the Cloud change to be he's "former self" one of the things that are explained in " A way to a Smile" or whatever it name is?
    In my opinion the "Storyline" was just an excuse to begin more battles, i think seeing all the trailers is enough to know that the movie will pretty much be a "Mortal Combat" Convention, the voice actors did suck....
    I think Sin Bahamut was only an excuse to put all characters in the movie for a little screen-time, and Rufus was an empty excuse to try and shock us with: " OMG Rufus is back!!! What a Miracle"

    I never saw why everybody hated about TSW i thought that movie pretty good with no fanboyism
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  4. #4
    Awesome! MossY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    I'm glad that someone has made this thread for the reasons that it's good to have both sides of the argument available and there is far to many pointless fanboy threads heaping praise onto the film without ever satisfactorily backing up their points. I personally haven't seen the film but due to the fanboy nature of its fans, I have no intention of seeing it either. Prak has thoroughly went through why he feels the film fails and I definitely agree with the marketing point. Perhaps if it's fans were to put as much effort into their threads, the film might appeal to me but as it stands I really don't care about it.

  5. #5
    Die Weapons! Die! Weaponslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Underwater
    Posts
    38
    They left a lot more plot holes possibly just to cash in even more in the future. I'm a fanboy, nothing will change that. I did notice a lot of cut scenes especially when Cloud draws his sword; this motion is quite complex considering the size of his swords (or maybe simply impossible). FF spirits within was much gayer in my opinion.
    Monsters are an offseason job.

  6. #6
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaponslayer
    FF spirits within was much gayer in my opinion.
    How so? And if you dare to bring up stupid fanboy arguments like "no magic" or "no huge swords," I will taunt, belittle, and annoy you for as long as you post here.

  7. #7
    bush/cheney 04 Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    10,661
    the second this turns into a flamefest i'll close it, jfyi.

    also i am pretty much in agreeance with you, buttt i still enjoyed the movie if only for the sheer cheesiness of it. it was fairly good fun as long as you didn't expect much or engage your brain at all.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  8. #8
    Onion Kid
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    15
    Prak, you made some very good points.
    I never saw the movie in the same light as you did.
    Unfortunately, I am still a fan boy, and basically nothing will ever change that.
    I watched Final Fantasy:Spirits Within and I can tell you: I don't remember a single thing of what that movie was about.
    I still don't really have a clue of what a saw, and personally I just generally forget I ever saw it. It doesn't come to mind as a movie I watched.
    Advent Children, however, is something that stands out. Whether you liked it or not, there is so much to be said on it.
    Maybe they did just do a bunch of contradictory things so that we can see all the characters fight and have weird animation and bring Sephiroth back.
    But you know what? Those are exactly the reason so many people love FFVII.
    It's the characters, the weapons, the villain, the animation, and the crazy stuff they do.
    If this movie had none of those things, how could anyone have ever called it a sequel to the game?
    they be like,"FFVII:Advent Children.I saw that movie. It had nothing to DO with FFVII. I didn't like it. Cloud used a machete. The bad guy was a possessed goat with a tumor. You don't even see Cid or Barrett. Why do they even call this movie FFVII? IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAME!"
    so if the movie WASN'T just a cop-off of the game, you'd have this dilemma on your hands.
    Personally, I'll keep Advent Children the way it is, without the creepy Goatlord /Sephiroth replacement.

  9. #9
    Die Weapons! Die! Weaponslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Underwater
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak
    How so? And if you dare to bring up stupid fanboy arguments like "no magic" or "no huge swords," I will taunt, belittle, and annoy you for as long as you post here.
    No, the story (even though original) I didn't really like. It's got nothing to do with the fact that it didn't have magic or anything related to final fantasy.

    I'm no Japanese so I don't concentrate on the voice, I just read the subtitles, so I haven't noticed flaws in the voice acting.

    Cloud also turned back into a loner because of his geostigma and how he thinks he's gonna die anyway.

    I agree with quite a few a of your arguments, but I'll remain a fanboy. The movie was way too short for those who don't know anything about FFVII, so I think they should've had more cutback scenes and explained everything a bit clearer. The fact that they revived Sephiroth was good in my opinion; there is no better villain in my opinion (not a fanboy comment having seen so many villains).

  10. #10
    Master Chief
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    180
    Always there to ruffle some feathers huh Prak?? LOOOLL

    Ow well I must admit that the story is no story at all but I think the whole point of this movie is to show all the characters in nice graphics in more battles. We must be glad that this little thing (it was supposed to be about 20 minutes or something?) has become such a long movie..

  11. #11
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    Of course I am, although this thread is a month old now...

    Anyway, what you said about showing the characters in nice graphics ties into my "long FMV" argument. If that's the only point of the movie, it's retarded to actually charge money for it, especially when people who might only associate Final Fantasy with The Spirits Within will be exposed to it. It's a downright dirty business practice.

  12. #12
    腐った蜜柑 rezo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    guess.
    Posts
    6,566
    I don't have a copy of the movie on me, so I can't check... but I didn't think there was anything overly bad about the voice acting. Besides Barrett's "GYAGGHAGR!!!" - ing.

    also:

    Some people try to justify a lot of what I've just talked about by saying that the movie was less of a movie than a long FMV.
    haha. "It's not a movie, it's just a long movie".
    ON OCTOBER 26th, 2009, FFSHRINE FORUM MEMBER "budarc" POSTED A MOVIE REVIEW THREAD IN GENERAL DISCUSSION INSTEAD OF IN THE TV/MOVIE FORUM WHERE IT BELONGED..

  13. #13
    Since 1964 Halo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Outer Heaven
    Posts
    395
    After all this movie was made for Fans not to take oscar.
    The sword is a weapon for killing......the art of the sword......is the art of killing.No mather what fancy words...you use......or what titles......you put to it......that is the only truth.



    My sig tnx to Galde

  14. #14
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    And everyone knows FFVII fans have bad taste. Still, the marketing angle is irrefutable. It's being marketed in the mainstream to a lot of people that won't associate it with anything but a movie that was much better than this one.

  15. #15
    Since 1964 Halo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Outer Heaven
    Posts
    395
    Why dont you just take it as Full ending of FF7.

    Honestly i think many parts of the movie where weird in many ways but even it was a "nice try" and call it "test" for making it beter next time.

  16. #16
    Delirium Of The Endless Tidus 66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Island Closest To Heaven
    Posts
    2,718
    I won't take it as a full ending first because it doesn't end nothing, second none of the plot holes are closed, it just makes new holes and turns a plot hole massacre into a even bigger one

  17. #17
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo
    Honestly i think many parts of the movie where weird in many ways but even it was a "nice try" and call it "test" for making it beter next time.
    It was not a nice try, as I explained quite clearly in the original post. Spirits Within could qualify as a test (although I would never call it such, as it was a mainstream film), but there's no way you can possibly call Advent Children a test since it was made using proven techniques, albeit poorly utilized ones.

  18. #18
    Shriner weapon_xx2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west Auckland
    Posts
    87
    reason: I watched it on VCD.

    You last visited: 12-15-2006 at 12:33 AM

  19. #19
    aye? Gentleman Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by weapon_xx2
    reason: I watched it on VCD.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  20. #20
    Onion Kid
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2
    And everyone knows FFVII fans have bad taste.
    How? Ok, I know the FFVII fans are just as rabid as the Star Wars and Harry Potter fans but come on!

    It was made for the fans. They want money. IF the movie was such a big flop, why did it sell so much in the first week it went out? Because people love FFVII. That is why the movie was made. So we can expirience the characters we all know and love again! It was at the beginning, for christ sake. I'm sorry if some people have to compare it to some big blockbuster movie because frankly that's not what the movie was about. It was a visual expirience and I was very pleased with how it ended. And for those of you who say Cloud was being emo for no reason? He had a disease and he thought he was going to die! So he did what's best, what he thought was the best thing to do, and left his family. He didn't want them to know he was dying. That was said in interviews and Case of Tifa, but, and the movie too! How obvious does it have to be?

    If you're a true fan, you'll atleast appreciate it! I'm sick of the whining. While SE are wallowing in cash, unsatisfied people are whining about it. Well guess what, it won't do you any good because what's over is over. I respect your opinion if you think that it sucks, but describing FF7 fans as "brainless fanboys and girls" and shit is kinda being disrespectful. Maybe you didn't like the movie because you didn't like FF7. Or you just didn't like the movie...But if it's the former, well, FF7 is awesome and most agree with that! It's not a bad game at all.

  21. #21
    Snake Floats My Boat Rude666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Da Ghetto (jokes) East London
    Posts
    1,214
    You know what, thats a pretty good post for a newbie.
    You have my graditude

  22. #22
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039

    Oh how I longed for this moment!

    Quote Originally Posted by La_Tortura_por_Tifa
    How? Ok, I know the FFVII fans are just as rabid as the Star Wars and Harry Potter fans but come on!
    When a counter-argument starts with as pointless a comment as this, you know it's bound to be pretty bad.

    It was made for the fans. They want money. IF the movie was such a big flop, why did it sell so much in the first week it went out? Because people love FFVII.
    I never called it a flop. I called it a terrible excuse for a film, regardless of how much money it makes. It is quite well-justified if you bothered reading the original post.

    That is why the movie was made. So we can expirience the characters we all know and love again! It was at the beginning, for christ sake.
    Your point? That alone does not make it a good or bad movie.

    I'm sorry if some people have to compare it to some big blockbuster movie because frankly that's not what the movie was about.
    You're full of shit. See my anti long FMV argument for details.

    It was a visual expirience and I was very pleased with how it ended.
    That's nice. No one cares if you're happy with it because that is totally irrelevant to the discussion. And of course it was a "visual experience." There was nothing to it other than the visuals, which were noticably sub-par compared to the same company's last CG film.

    And for those of you who say Cloud was being emo for no reason? He had a disease and he thought he was going to die!
    Pure speculation. That is never clearly stated. I see through it, however. It is because Cloud's antisocial emo fag attitude endeared him to the game's antisocial emo fag fans and if they followed the character progression of the game, that endearment would be lost.

    So he did what's best, what he thought was the best thing to do, and left his family. He didn't want them to know he was dying. That was said in interviews and Case of Tifa, but, and the movie too! How obvious does it have to be?
    And your point? There's still no explanation for why he's regressed to that. See my above comment as it ties in perfectly.

    If you're a true fan, you'll atleast appreciate it!
    You are truly a cunt. Only a tremendous fishy-smelling cunt would ever say something that foolish.

    I'm sick of the whining. While SE are wallowing in cash, unsatisfied people are whining about it. Well guess what, it won't do you any good because what's over is over.
    What whining? It looks to me like you're whining pretty badly. Don't impose your faults on others.

    I respect your opinion if you think that it sucks, but describing FF7 fans as "brainless fanboys and girls" and shit is kinda being disrespectful.
    Is it? Good! I certainly would not want to pay any form of respect to such riff-raff.

    Maybe you didn't like the movie because you didn't like FF7.
    I quite detested FFVII, in fact. However, I had hopes that maybe SE would have moved beyond the shit storytelling that plagued that game and made something decent.

    Or you just didn't like the movie...
    Now you're contradicting yourself. You said before that anyone who didn't like the movie wasn't a true fan. Cunt.

    But if it's the former, well, FF7 is awesome and most agree with that! It's not a bad game at all.
    "Most" agree with that? Most what? Most FFVII fans? Most emo fags who see Cloud Strife as an avatar for all their dreams of being special?


    Ah, I've missed this feeling. Ripping fanboys a new one is such sweet therapy for the stresses of the day.

  23. #23
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    220
    -
    All hail the mighty Megatron! *coughs* sorry.

    I liked FFVII, but liking the game can't make me like the movie. It's just awful (yeah yeah, in my opinion, everyone I seem to meet will scream in my face about how good it is and what an evil non FFVII fan I must be if I don't worship AC in all it's glory). Nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't think it's the greatest movie ever created.

    I didn't like TSW, and it didn't stick in my mind or make me want to watch it again and again, but it was a much better movie in terms of construction and... heck, just the way the characters moved and behaved if nothing else.

    And I'm really sick of fights where people bounce unrealistically about at high speeds.
    Last edited by Cheetortron; 11-08-2018 at 01:22 AM.

  24. #24
    Snake Floats My Boat Rude666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Da Ghetto (jokes) East London
    Posts
    1,214
    Yer the thing that made me like it the least was the fights, they were terrible.
    The worst in my opinion was Tifa's fight at the start, although I liked the ringtone

  25. #25
    It's elementary, my dear Jiro.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dreamland, Pop Star
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally Posted by La_Tortura_por_Tifa
    ? Because people love FFVII. That is why the movie was made. So we can expirience the characters we all know and love again!
    People love FFVI. FFVI was phenomenally better than FFVII. FFVI has a good storyline that could have continued in many, many ways. I honestly don't remember VII having any loose ends, but that's probably because the game didn't make me care about the characters.
    Every piece of evidence shows that FFVI (or IV or IX or Chrono Trigger, maybe VIII. Hell, even II) rightfully should have been made into a movie over VII, except for the fact that there are, for some unexplainable reason, "more" FFVII fans.

    So, people who have seen what happens when Square tries to make a good game, and not just a money-making game. The stories are great, the music is great, it all comes together amazing (FVII, on the other hand, seems to have been made just for the cash - it's pretty much completley rehashed story elements from their previousg ames). People who know this were hoping that maybe the quality would come back and give us a good experience.

    Obviously, AC didn't deliver.

    I'm glad Prak made this thread - AC never deserved to be made, and Square never deserved to make money when there's so many other things they've done. Yes, it's "over and done with," but that doesn't mean we can't try to stop people from supporting this. I don't want to keep giving Square the message that they can produce shit and make money off of it. How come people won't buy the stuff I crap out?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •