Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: What did you think of FFVII:Advent Children?

Grand Shriner willfinalfantasy7fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    I think you missed my point. I was saying that the music failed on two important levels. First, it was often a dominating factor, drawing at least as much attention to itself as the scene it was placed in, rather than performing the ideal role of background music, which is to subtly enhance the effect of the visual imagery and character performances. Second, it's very clear that certain scenes were designed specifically to be paced to a piece of music that had already been written, which wrecks the flow of those scenes and makes the entire scenario feel forced. The Sephiroth battle in particular is atrociously paced because of that, but several others suffer from the same thing.
    well, the sephiroth battle and even the dialogue before, during and after it seems to have been tailored to fit the music exactly so i see your point; perhaps i was enjoying it too much to see it as a detrimental thing.

1 point i must make in response to that though is that a lot of the music was placed in the film especially - no, purely for nostalgia's sake. and since one of the best things about the game for me was the music, it came across as a good thing.

Onion Kid

Angry

More proof that only idiots think it's good.
    I m not an idiot.
    If you dont like the movie, make better!

if indeed the fight scenes were indeed wrapped around the music being played, then i can't find a fault in that. The have a rhythm and action intertwine is often very cool.
    If everytime a sword hits a target and a drum beats at the same moment, that synchronization is very entertaining.

I obtained the music (um, legally.... yeah) from that movie, and after listening to the revamped One Winged Angel and the original (as well as the orcastrated version) i must say, i enjoyed the old one better. it didn't have as many weird noises and random switches.

Quote Originally Posted by willfinalfantasy7fan View Post

reno and rude are suddenly friends with the party.
    that bothered me... everyone was friends all of a sudden...
    I also can't understand why (i can't remember his name, the guy in the wheel chair, was president of Shinra) he was alive. He died from the Weapon attack, clearly.
    It is almost never a good idea to bring back dead people. it ruins things and makes you believe everything is immortal in the story, which screws with known reality values.

ac was great. especially the cloud v sephiroth. but it kinda sad its short? marlene = annoying. the english ver. of the movie suckd. i mean wth is dilly dally shilly shally. i like jap ver better.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XeaSy View Post
    I m not an idiot.
    If you dont like the movie, make better!
    Fuck off. You are an idiot. Here are the reasons why:

1. Ever heard of an apostrophe?
    2. I'm Prak, fuckwit.
    3. You don't have to make movies to appreciate quality. By your logic, you're not qualified to say it's good any more than I am to say it's bad. In other words, you're a hypocrite in addition to a retard.

I think you missed my point. I was saying that the music failed on two important levels. First, it was often a dominating factor, drawing at least as much attention to itself as the scene it was placed in, rather than performing the ideal role of background music, which is to subtly enhance the effect of the visual imagery and character performances. Second, it's very clear that certain scenes were designed specifically to be paced to a piece of music that had already been written, which wrecks the flow of those scenes and makes the entire scenario feel forced. The Sephiroth battle in particular is atrociously paced because of that, but several others suffer from the same thing.
    Agreed, which is why I like Sakimoto's works in FFXII. Instead of distracting the player, it helps enhance the scene.

Though, even though many of the songs in Advent Children, you've gotta admit, there's quite a few that sound pretty decent. They should of used the piano collections pieces in the actual game (even if they were arranger after the game was released).

Prak, I know what apostrophes are! That means I'm not an idiot, right?

Also even though you don't have to make movies to appreciate quality, I believe that if you had the experience, you can really appreciate other's works more. For example ever since I tried to make my own flash movie (which was going really good, but I got tired of using the mouse as it was really slow progress), I came to appreciate other people's works more as I can see what kind of effects they have used to create different scenes and atmospheres, and how creative they can be.

Pwnage with laser sighting Mr.Hazard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coolzdude View Post
    marlene = annoying
    Thank goodness that I'm not the only one to think that.
    Nothing can be worse than getting a big blob in your face.

A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    Advent Children --- reasonably pleasing animation to look at, very so-so overall plot, too many generally boring battle sequences, music --- mostly so-so, except for the closing credits vocal piece, which I plan to watch the closing credits again sometime just to listen to that song, unless I can find it to download or buy somewhere. There. My opinion on Advent Children.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is active -- currently battle is Character Pairings!
    "When prayers turn to promises, not even fate can stand in their way. Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." - Fang & Vanille
    If you're not reading Goat Pen, you're missing the web's best Final Fantasy fanfiction. ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - join us and sing!

Advent Children.
    Well, basically, it was made to coast off the fat trimmings of FF7.
    Visuals
    Great visuals from Squenix. These guys really do know how to make good on CG technology. Smoke, metal, grass, etc. really does look like what it is supposed to and hair is done moderately well. Human skin isn't really presented very well, but that's negligible since it seems to be a stylistic choice. However, art design was pretty bland. I got pretty sick of seeing Gackloud, and that's usually a Nomura flaw right there. Tifa did look like less of a cheap whore, which might be an improvement. Design of new characters was pretty weak, drawing on basic archetypes, with weapons and weapon design being "HEYGUYSIMSOEXTREEEEEEEEEME". Usually looking more like a clusterfuck to gear it to the 'omg swerds' crowd, I guess. However, as it stands, it depends too much on cheap knockoffs and unimaginitive weapon design.
    6/10
    4/4 for CG. 2/6 for Art Design.

Aesthetics are more important than just raw graphics. If something looks like crap, putting polish on it won't stop it from looking like shiny crap.

Audio
    Sounds were well done, and well executed. Quality of recording was good, and their application felt appropriate. Nothing particularly annoying sounding from the sound department. Music was par for the course, but it felt like listening to a Saturday Morning Cartoon more than a movie, at that point they should've just thrown in some Great Mazinger. Sephiroth's little jingle didn't help matters much, since generally it's rather pretentious to begin with.

Voices on both tracks felt pretty lame, though.
    The English voices suffered from bad localization, and just a feeling of boredom all throughout. Oh, and "DILLY DALLY SHILLY SHALLY!!!" or whatever that was? Ugh. What were they thinking? Barret probably felt the most appropriate out of the English track. Should've brought in Mr. T, but I'm not docking points for that. Japanese track felt very forced, though. Too many Shatnerisms and over-acting on their parts made it feel like a kids cartoon instead of a movie. I mean, anyone can go "UUUUWOOOO!!" or make those "gckh" sounds. It was just poorly executed in general.
    6/10.
    3/3 Sound Effects, 2/3 Music, 1/4 Voices.
    Relied too much on fanboy nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses in music and voices, with too many unforgivably bored or Shatner-like voiceovers from the English and Japanese tracks (respectively).

Plot And Cohesiveness
    Ugh. Wow. Scratch the last time I used 'clusterfuck' to describe the weapons, because it describes this mess MUCH more accurately. It tried to resolve some plot holes and what-ifs after the game, but really fell short. It just seemed like a bad attempt to give people more Griffit-err....Sephiroth. Yeah. FF7 wasn't exactly my childhood, so I guess I don't feel all the nostalgia punching my balls when I watched him twirl around for 20 minutes or so and then dying again. Speaking of which, battle sequences were just too drawn out and boring. Look at Tommorow's Joe to see how to direct a good fight. It doesn't take that long to make an impressive fight that feels epic.

Dialogue was more of a secondary plot-device than anything meaningful ("hay guys uh im bad" ok hes bad now "and istole ur stuff" ok he stole my stuffs "and i brought people back from the dead and stuff nevermind the specifics or where i got stuff" ok w/e). You also don't need obnoxious speeches. And cameos only added to the "What the hell is this movie doing?" factor that FF:AC had going for it. If you're going to put the characters back in the movie, have them do something and really be characters. Sticking people and names into stories where they don't belong is just sloppy writing. This was obviously "Gackt : The Near-Future Movie Action Sword of the Fist of the Cloud". Besides fanboy appeal, it just really slops this into the junkpile in the writing department. I mean, from this movie, these people should feel as pathetic and useless as they seem to act. They're about as effective as the token henchmen badguys from something like Power Rangers, only they look like people you recognize. What also weakened the story is the pivotal character, Cloud. He pretty much emos out for most of the movie about his dead girl. Maybe it was to let him identify with his audience (Cheapshot). And then SEPHIROTH and they fight and he dies. His death could've been emotional but it was just a shrug. Like when you watch thousands of people die in burning colonies in Gundam Wing or something. It's done so poorly you hardly bat an eyelash. Oh, well, at least he can look forward to seeing Aeris/Aerith/Adella in the ghost water. Err, Lifestream. But seriously, it's just a gigantic hand pumping the throbbing cocks of its fanbase. But the thing is, you realize it can't even really give a good handjob when you're older than 12. (Obligatory lolckocks)
    2/10
    1/5 Storyline, 0/2 Dramatic Elements (Nothing really felt moving. It was like a rollercoaster. A slow one with some lumps in the seats.),1/3 Cohesiveness and Completeness.

FINAL TOTAL:
    4/10

A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    BTW:

Fuck off...

3. You don't have to make movies to appreciate quality. By your logic, you're not qualified to say it's good any more than I am to say it's bad. In other words, you're a hypocrite in addition to a retard.
    Quoted for supreme truth.

There were only 2 scenes I really liked in AC.

#1 Tifa vs Loz
    She kicked his butt in straight hand to hand combat. If not for his souped-up brass knuckles taser gun thing, she would have won round 2 as well.

#2 Reno(and Rude)
    They were great as comic relief. LOVED when Reno (accidentally) knocked Rude down with his baton. And Rude stands up with his hand over his nose, and his other hand balled into a fist to hit him until they see Bahamut and then when they go to run away, Reno almost knocks him down again, but this time Rude is ready for it. And I didn't notice until I saw the Reno fanvid on YouTube to the song Town Called Hypocrisy, that when Kadaj lands on the ground with the Jenova box, Reno knocks Rude down again by...a butt bump?, and Rude glares at him. I wonder if Rude asked for a partner change after this movie...I'd be more of a Reno fangirl now if he'd lose the ponytail. What was with his new climbing ability though? And why does he sit like that in the helicopter so the joystick is so close to his crotch? I've seen subtler imagery in Playboy...not really, I don't look at Playboy mags...Reno half answers one of my complaints in the Final Fantasy series, that the guys are either too androgynous or too macho. I say half answers cause like I said, he needs to lose the ponytail, and looking at screencaps on him in it, in one he's got what looks like some manboob cleavage.

An honorable mention for what I liked about it goes to Aerith at the ending for wanting to know why everyone is calling her Mother, and saying Cloud is too big to adopt.

As for what bothered me about AC(besides the aforementioned Reno issues), it also goes for CC and DoC...it's always about 'Mother' or 'Brother' for the bad guys...F*** THE "OTHERS"!!! And I really wasn't too fond of Cloud Strife in AC(but then I never really cared for him in the game either), or reliving the whole Sephiroth thing.

Overall, the good parts for me are enough for me to shell out $10 to buy the DVD after finding the movie on YouTube. Eager for that because the movie on YouTube, it does what sometimes happens on YouTube, the sound ends up being a little 'off'. Wanna hear it with the proper sound.