Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 211

Thread: What did you think of FFVII:Advent Children?

  1. #176
    "I like men with long hair" Darkiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Posts
    189
    I loved the music and the graphics...But the story didn't impress me and I really hoped that it would fill some "openings" that FF7 had......It did not...That disappointed me a lot...But the scene between Cloud and Sephiroth was awesome...

    I love your skin...Oh so white...I love your touch...cold as ice...
    and I love every single tear you cry...I just love the way you are losing your life...

    *HIM
    *



  2. #177
    Pwnage with laser sighting Mr.Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    PPL's Republic Of Bagels
    Posts
    1,976
    I do think that the behavior of the characters are plain crap in FVII: Advent Children. For example, Yuffie shows off when popping up for the first time. Stupid realy.

    So I will say that "The Spirits Within" was more intriguing and the behavior of the characters were sufficiently sensible and reasonably realistic for the least.
    Nothing can be worse than getting a big blob in your face.

  3. #178
    Best of his Kind Erisu Kimu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19
    Aside from the amazing graphics and action scenes, Final Fantasy: Advent Children had a lot of disappointing factors. One of them being the fact that the spotlight was all on Cloud for the majority of the movie. I mean, what's the point of all the characters showing up? Just to make cheap cameos? They barely fought against the Bahamut (or whatever it was), and then just like that, Cloud takes front seat again? I wanted to see another fight between Tifa and one of those three guys (forgot their names) and Vincent have a memorable fight scene. The Turks had more fight scenes and screen time than any of the Final Fantasy 7 protagonists. The other reason why the movie was disappointing was due to the fact that there was barely any story. It was just about this "illness" and there was barely any exploration done besides just fighting around and somewhere inside of Midgar(?). There should've been more. Anyway, the graphics and action scenes were what kept me entertained, but it was after the movie was finished that I started rethinking about the bad parts.
    I'm the best at what I do and that's something you can't do.

  4. #179
    Bunny Overlord Kuchinawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    32
    I absolutelty loved the movie. I thought it was well made, great graphics, amazing fight scenes, great music... well it was great, I would give it 9/10!
    :3

  5. #180
    b7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    39
    The sequences were heavily action-oriented, over-glorified and completely unrealistic. The translation was horrible. The story was short, pointless and didn't qualify as a fair sequel.

    To be honest, the entire thing gave me the impression that Square-Enix wanted to rely on producing eye-candy alone, with no meaningful plot or purpose.

  6. #181
    Pwnage with laser sighting Mr.Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    PPL's Republic Of Bagels
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuchinawa View Post
    I absolutelty loved the movie. I thought it was well made, great graphics, amazing fight scenes, great music... well it was great, I would give it 9/10!
    Oh dear....

  7. #182
    Bunny Overlord Kuchinawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Oh dear....
    What you mean oh dear -.- i know lots of people that enjoyed and liked the film! Just because you don't like it you don't have to be shoked if other people like it

  8. #183
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't commenting on the fact that you enjoyed it. He was commenting on the fact that you don't know the difference between a well-made movie and a crappily-made one that you liked anyway.

  9. #184
    Bunny Overlord Kuchinawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't commenting on the fact that you enjoyed it. He was commenting on the fact that you don't know the difference between a well-made movie and a crappily-made one that you liked anyway.
    actually I do... I happend to like the movie and just because i don't agree with 90 % of the ppl on these forums i get... sly comments. I didnt say it was the best movie in the world, i said that it was great and i ENJOYED it! If you enjoy a movie then it is good.

  10. #185
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    Bullshit. Personal enjoyment of a movie does not directly reflect its quality. If you honestly believe that it does, you have no idea what you're talking about.

  11. #186
    Pwnage with laser sighting Mr.Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    PPL's Republic Of Bagels
    Posts
    1,976
    I would probably enjoy the movie if the storyline was made more serious and less retarded.

  12. #187
    Bunny Overlord Kuchinawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    Bullshit. Personal enjoyment of a movie does not directly reflect its quality. If you honestly believe that it does, you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Watch the swearing mr sassy pants! I don't care what you say! I like the movie and I will continue to like it no matter what crap you through at me!

  13. #188
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    If you can't deal with the swearing, this is not a good forum to frequent.

    Also, I never said you shouldn't like it. I'm just pointing out that you clearly have no idea what makes a good movie. Personally, I love a lot of really terrible movies, but I'd never even consider saying that they're good just because I like them.

  14. #189
    Bunny Overlord Kuchinawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    If you can't deal with the swearing, this is not a good forum to frequent.

    Also, I never said you shouldn't like it. I'm just pointing out that you clearly have no idea what makes a good movie. Personally, I love a lot of really terrible movies, but I'd never even consider saying that they're good just because I like them.
    Fine whatever, i don't care about the swearing, i swear too (even thought i'm trying not too. Whenever you're new in a forum you gotta remain polite for the first month or two). Anyway I suppose you're right, a movie isn't good just because you like it but what i ment by all of my messages is that I think its a good movie because i enjoyed it. That doesn't nescesarily make it good. I think its good thats all now can we stop this pointless debate :P

  15. #190
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    But of course. I just call everyone on that error when they make it.

  16. #191
    One Bitchin' Turk red_martyr07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    midwest USA
    Posts
    18
    I LOVED IT!!!!

    "This thing uh... got any bite to it?"

  17. #192
    Pwnage with laser sighting Mr.Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    PPL's Republic Of Bagels
    Posts
    1,976
    Do not revive dead threads that's 2 months old.

  18. #193
    Grand Shriner willfinalfantasy7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    371
    first time i saw advent children i hadnít played FF7 and it made no sense, although i was impressed by the animation, and the music struck me too - those two things still impress me, especially the music, which i love and which i think is played well in the right places.

    when i started playing the game i enjoyed it a lot and got into it - so i rewatched AC a short while ago, and the dialogue is quite poor i must say, childish, vague and poorly scripted at times, plus i donít really like loz kadaj and yazoo as characters (yazoo is cool but as he's just a part of sephiroth he doesnít really count as a seperate character)

    i thought the storyline wasnít that good because it was very baffling and there were plot holes like aeris' healing water (could have used it whenever and averted half the events of the film, although I have a theory about that that involves her connection to cloud and her friends, perhaps the fact that she acts through them and not on her own, seeing as she is dead an all) rufus' and tseng's survival (how, they died in FF7, unless tseng somehow crawled away from the temple of the ancients before it was destroyed, rufus is less easy to explain) sephiroth's continued existence in the form of three 'bodies of thought' (what are they? i think sephiroth is a great villain, complex and powerful but he really should have learnt from his first fight with cloud. I do have a shinentai theory about the kadaj gang though) etc

    it was awesome to see the entire party together again, but most of them were quite out of character, exceptionally gay and overly close (yuffie was too nice and caring, and showed off too much, unlike her thieving, hidden agenda mischievous persona in the game, cid wasnít arrogant enough and overly caring too, vincent wasnít detached enough, although he did retain his useful knack for knowing everything, cloud was TOO broody and moody considering the fact that heís supposed to have beaten his demons in the game Ė ok heís cut up about aeris but heís too serious in general; and i donít understand the need for the continued existence of cait sith - why cant reeve just hook up with them? or is cait actually more then just a robot? only then would he be more then a cheap gimmick that didnít need to exist beyond the game IMHO, beyond his capacity as a mouthpiece for reeve to the gang, which would negate the need for awful humour and presence in battle which was unnecessary in the game as well, damn it)

    points that have been raised by others here on ffshrine that are valid critiques of the film are the fight scenes and breaks of logic. bikes that spin around but keep going forward even though the wheels are spinning (and the bike itself is) in the opposite direction to the way the bike carries on travelling, bikes spinning around in circles after being hit but not tumbling over and stopping, cloud fighting yazoo and loz in the tunnel (kadaj could have turned around while they were in the tunnel, or just stopped and absorbed the remains of jenova and become sephiroth there instead) the bahamut fight (terrible dialogue from everyone and incomprehensible boosting in midair for the sole reason of affirming some intense bond thatís supposed to have built up between these characters that if theyíde all stayed in character would not be the case anyway) not a scratch appearing on the character's bodies during fights even though they all dish out some harsh punishment to each other (level of animation achieved at the time ive heard, thatís the next step), cloud getting shot in the face but only suffering broken shades, and cloud getting to the forbidden city and back again (as well as kadaj's gang and all the geostigma children) in quick time (perhaps this is simply because they chose to omit characters taking a boat and travelling across entire continents to keep the story flowing and action packed?)

    two more points - aerisí role in the film and her healing water trick to cure the geostigma (why didnít she use it earlier to avert half the events of the film as well as the return of sephiroth) and finally the whereabouts and conditions of sephiroth's body. was that his body or at least his spirit in the form of three 'bodies of thoughtí, composed of lifestream, jenova and sephiroth's will?? It appears so from the evidence of the film. so what of sephiroth's actual body? and why did he need jenova cells to become sephiroth again? I do have theories to explain these last two points about sephiroth and aeris, but perhaps if the film had not chosen to be vague and drag things completely nonsensically and out of the blue out of the water then we wouldnt have these problems and it would be a better and more satisfying experience, and i say this as a fanboy

    I do also think that as well as trying to logically determine the roles of sephiroth and aeris in the film, their presence in the film is also as much to do with the fact that they are many FF7 fansí favourite characters (they are certainly 2 of my favourite characters for many reasons) and they were an integral part of the storyline because of their status amongst the fans. As well as this of course, they are integral parts of cloudís life and therefore easy to incorporate into a story that baffled and caused debate and needed thought to work out leaving ambiguity and unanswered questions in any case more so then the game that spawned all of this. An indication that like the game this filmís conception to release was rushed? Or at least the storyline was rushed? seems that way

    Iíve also become aware of the existence of an Advent Children Complete blue ray thing thatís coming out which will have reworked scenes, new scenes and also include a rehash of the score plus maybe a few new tunes. It will also include Last Order and include a number of other features Ė including teasers for other FF7 compilation titles. this sounds good considering the confusing plot, as perhaps they will clarify and rectify things somewhat. But I am also quite disappointed at the hilariously blatant milking of FF7 fans underway here. I got my copy of AC given to me on a copied disc, and im glad Ė square enix is not being very clever about this exploitation of FF7, a game with a large fanbase due to as I see it a great storyline, which is why they expand on it. they dont need to follow trends and methodically and blatantly milk loyal fans that will go and buy their new additions and accept them either way because even as a fan it pisses me off and alienates me - especially the exclusivity of some games to mobile phone as well. irritating

    Anyway out of 10
    - score - 9 - i thought the score was excellent, the music largely brilliant.
    - animation - 8 - pretty high end stuff, realistic and smart eye candy - without finest points of realism in people
    - dialogue - 3 - terrible and obscure dialogue, cringe-inducing humour and i dont think the translation was very good but i dont know for sure - i mean the subtitles and the english voice overs were different in places
    - storyline - 5 - interesting but confusing and a little forced in places, makes outlandish and drawn out theory necessary and stretches the ability to apply logic
    - action - 6 - cool in places - cloud v sephiroth was a satisfying fight (if annoying in the way that Seph lost a third time, in almost identical means to the first time) but ridiculous on the bikes and with bahamut (oh and if you swing someone into church benches like loz did with tifa, you'll have broken bones, garaunteed. that was stupid too)

    conclusion - an FF7 fanboy's film with cool bits and good elements but with fatal flaws and let downs that one hopes will be addressed by the new version coming out next year. which in turn is the clearest indication yet of Square's callous approach to milking a story, which ironically enough started out with a mercenary being hired to take down a reactor to battle against a company that callously exploited people. funny that. mean score = 6 out of 10 minus 2 for square being cunts - 4/10

  19. #194
    Onion Kid
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5
    Advent Children is a good movie. The best cgi movie what I ever seen.

  20. #195
    Grand Shriner Andyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    756
    Watch some more then.

  21. #196
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    Quote Originally Posted by XeaSy View Post
    Advent Children is a good movie. The best cgi movie what I ever seen.
    More proof that only idiots think it's good.

  22. #197
    Go me? Goby! Goby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    148
    Willfinalfantasy7fan,
    Good lord, thats a lot of text to go through (sorry to say i don't have the time to go through it all at the moment)
    I agree with the overall summary of your post!

    FFVII AC Looked great, had nice music, but dragged terribly in the story department. I wish square hadn't let this atrocity be spawned from perturbed minds...
    I do not want people to take old things and change them around. You can't rewrite history to make it fit your wants.

  23. #198
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    It didn't even have nice music. The music was overbearing and often defined the pacing of the scenes, which is a huge no-no.

  24. #199
    Grand Shriner willfinalfantasy7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Joby View Post
    Willfinalfantasy7fan,
    Good lord, thats a lot of text to go through (sorry to say i don't have the time to go through it all at the moment)
    I agree with the overall summary of your post!

    FFVII AC Looked great, had nice music, but dragged terribly in the story department. I wish square hadn't let this atrocity be spawned from perturbed minds...
    I do not want people to take old things and change them around. You can't rewrite history to make it fit your wants.
    the film (and indeed the compilation) is able to exist because of the amount of unanswered questions from the game. due to its popularity, they capitalised on the open-ended nature of the plot, and the largely unexplained plot points. i would have enjoyed the film a lot more if, for example, something had been clearly established as to what was going on in midgar, the rest of the planet, what happened to certain characters, why holy didnt appear to work, who kadaj and his brothers were exactly and how they came to be etc.

    i didnt like the vagueness of the ending (although it was nice to see zack's ghost with aeris), or kadaj calling aeris mother before he disappeared into the lifestream (an unnescessarily confusing moment that i dont get) or yuffie's apparent ties with the group, cait sith's 'humour' and pointless comments, an unexplained re-entrance by the entire party (that was cool to see having played with these characters through 60+ hours in the game but nevertheless all too convenient and unexplained), the lack of consistency in the effects of weaponry and the abilities of characters (yazoo's gun, cloud being boosted in midair etc), sephiroth's arrogant idiocy at the end of the battle in stabbing cloud in the chest, and much much more (its all in my review anyway, including my opinion that square's just using the same vague, unexplained story telling technique to keep fans buying more compilation material to further the series).

    another thing mentioned in an article i read was tifa and cloud's apparent friendliness with reno, rude and rufus. good point - they were mortal enemies in the game, the shinra trying to execute them MORE THEN ONCE for example; sure reno and rude are cool but they are also professional assassins. the article suggested that this is a reflection of the companies descent into corporate whoredom, this being a revealing component of the entire FF7 compilation; i dont know if it wasnt like 95 % of all other western companies in any industry in being like that back when they made the game anyway (every industry in which i have an interest, music, film, football, games, all bar none are now run by companies which are painfully obvious in intent and typically corporate) but the game itself certainly suggested a swipe at such an attitude whereas there is no sign of this in the film, reflected by the way reno and rude are suddenly friends with the party.

    and prak, i agree that the music fitted the scenes in the film almost perfectly, but i felt it complemented what was going on and added atmosphere. anyway, there were some particularly metal and electronic songs that sounded shit but i enjoyed the familiar songs from the game - opening theme to red's future scene, haunting choir music during the FF7 recap at the beginning (my favourite scene in the film) tifa and loz fight music (and loz's ringtone fanfare) the 'oh shit somethings wrong' world map music that plays when kadaj and rufus are on the scaffolding discussing sephiroth's impending return, jenova tune when kadaj and cloud fight, one winged angel, tifa's theme piano version, aeris' theme in piano.

  25. #200
    Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Behind the mound of dead bards
    Posts
    11,039
    I think you missed my point. I was saying that the music failed on two important levels. First, it was often a dominating factor, drawing at least as much attention to itself as the scene it was placed in, rather than performing the ideal role of background music, which is to subtly enhance the effect of the visual imagery and character performances. Second, it's very clear that certain scenes were designed specifically to be paced to a piece of music that had already been written, which wrecks the flow of those scenes and makes the entire scenario feel forced. The Sephiroth battle in particular is atrociously paced because of that, but several others suffer from the same thing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •