Thread: Why does the site keep going down? Is it in danger of disappearing?

Why does the site keep going down? Is it in danger of disappearing?

Several times within the last several months, the site has been down and inaccessible for indefinite periods of time. This is not a complaint. I understand that I am given access to the site and its contents free of charge, and am very grateful for that. I'm just concerned as to why it keeps happening. Is the site in danger of disappearing for good? I really hope not. This is a wonderful place, and I really don't want to see it lost.

I think it's fair game to ask. There's hardly an official pronunciation on the matter when it does return; and if there is, it's quickly buried under the inrush of user activity on other threads.

Survived the 『Hunt』, but not the Lady. Leon Scott Kennedy's Avatar
    Hello. A moderator here, I'd wager there's one main reason behind the lack of any official pronunciation on the issue:

1) The most active staff members (Jessie, Enkidoh, Orie and I) probably don't know much more than you… Your guess is as good as ours.

You're not getting an answer because we can't really give you one. I realize this may not be the reply you're looking for, folks, but it's the truth I can offer; I sure as hell don't know why the Shrine started going offline so often (nor if it will always come back online whenever the problem occurs).
    Strategy guides | N: “He was having his favourite dish.” | Some Platinum Trophies
    Wither away.

My observation has been that the site goes down between the 8th and 12th of EVERY month and comes back online 2-4 business days later.

Test it for yourself in September...it should follow the same pattern. I figured it was down for some sort of scheduled maintenance as it has stuck to the same schedule all year so far
    Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry!

I upload new shares every Saturday night (late). The goal is to keep going until I have nothing left to share.
    **I should return to my regular upload schedule soon. I'll be posting random shares until then **

"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind."

Quote Originally Posted by StarFox View Post
    My observation has been that the site goes down between the 8th and 12th of EVERY month and comes back online 2-4 business days later.

Test it for yourself in September...it should follow the same pattern. I figured it was down for some sort of scheduled maintenance as it has stuck to the same schedule all year so far
    Most forums have a 'We are closed for scheduled maintenance, we'll resume on X date at X time" message. Instead, we get a '404' if we try during these times.
    Peaced out... Thanks for the good times.

That's interesting ... I will check it out next month. It always annoys me like hell.

Grand Shriner
    Have to admit that the question has crossed my mind, especially since it went down again recently for a good number of days

Could it be some kind of attack? I've seen some comments about this forum in various places that while not leveling any threats against the forum or site, do show how some people don't like it. This site is amazing, just don't want to lose it is all
    D1ngus

My wishlist
    Complete score for Stranger Things
    Complete score for Avatar The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra
    (Transformers age of Extinction recording sessions) - got (a version with vocal music included would be appreciated)
    The Darkest Minds recording sessions or complete score

A minimum of FIVE posts are necessary in order to use Private Messages

Grand Shriner
    After at least one recent downtime the site returned with a virus/malware. There are other threads that have discussed this. The last time it was KPOT Stealer malware. Additionally, in the past, the site was hacked and "approximately 620k records were released containing email addresses, IP addresses and salted hashes of passwords" (according to haveibeenpwned.com), so I think the forum is vulnerable to attacks. Ideally, security would be increased (https, for example), but I gather it's difficult to contact the site owners. As Leon Scott Kennedy says in this thread, nobody knows if the site will return after the outages (and, if it does, what will be embedded). Always make sure your virus/anti-malware is up to date.
    This is such an amazing forum. One of my favourites. It'd be a shame if hackers ruined it.
    Last edited by DavidRaphael; 08-22-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Grand Shriner
    I'm not sure if https would make an impact on a deliberate attack, say a ddos? Doesn't that work by overwhelming the server? But definitely, it could do with added security, https would definitely be a good start and would help to prevent stolen data but also something like cloudflare (no idea how much that would cost or if there's ddos protection that's open source) since this site may be a target of such attacks. Though without speaking to the admins/webmaster that'll all be incredibly difficult if not impossible to roll out. I completely agree regarding antivirus stuff, I frequently run several antivirus scans on all my devices so hopefully...

Onion Kid

You're not wrong, the site just went down again this month exactly during those days that you predicted !

September: forum down from 9th to 12th.

Congatulations!!!

Grand Shriner

The exact post I thought of this week.

This whole situation:

Last edited by AFMG; 09-14-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    [Insert a poignant, intelligent signature here.]

Fantabulously Enigmatic RomeoDrive's Avatar
    Still alive!
    I was created not to fear a thing and devoid of anything but love for everything, a poet's machine capable of grandiose dreaming
    We were left to wander the terrain until we understood the rhythms of the sun and the stars
    But amidst all of the constant communication I feel alone
    Relegated to a tiny cybernetic throne room on the outskirts of imagination
    I want to know God
    Hello?

Glad we are up and running again!
    Last edited by StarFox; 10-06-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Onion Kid
    Yesterday, the site's domain was actually expired and up for sale. Anyone could have simply registered the domain themselves if they so wanted. The site is evidently teetering on the verge of disappearing permanently.

I don't know anything about how the site is run or who runs it, but if there are financial issues, perhaps a donation box in the header would be a good idea, like Wikipedia for example does from time to time? I know a lot of mostly lurkers like myself use this site extensively for niche downloads that alternatives don't provide.

Fantabulously Enigmatic RomeoDrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkybunion View Post
    Yesterday, the site's domain was actually expired and up for sale. Anyone could have simply registered the domain themselves if they so wanted. The site is evidently teetering on the verge of disappearing permanently.

I don't know anything about how the site is run or who runs it, but if there are financial issues, perhaps a donation box in the header would be a good idea, like Wikipedia for example does from time to time? I know a lot of mostly lurkers like myself use this site extensively for niche downloads that alternatives don't provide.
    I’d pay gladly, mate!

Score Lover & Cover Maker SoundtrackJunkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeoDrive View Post
    I’d pay gladly, mate!
    Me too!
    Film Score Wishlist:
    • Summer Games (Giochi D'Estate) - Bernd Schurer & Nikolaj Grandjean
    • The piece from the If I Stay Trailer - Heitor Pereira
    • Sister Act & Sister Act 2 - Miles Goodman
    • The Keepers Original Documentary Score - Blake Neely

My Custom Covers
    Custom Covers By SoundtrackJunkie
    Facebook
    SJ Facebook
    Twitter
    SJ Twitter

She/Her.

Shriner
    Site is inaccessible in Australia for the moment. VPNs help

Official Shrine Grinch TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
    This site has tried donations in the past and there were complications, with some people suspecting that the owner Sarah was not using the money the way she claimed to be (to put it mildly). That was a few years ago. Since then Sarah has been totally non-communicative about the state of the site, its finances, or why it goes down on a monthly basis; it might be a money problem or something else entirely. I guess neither the mods (or mod, since there's only one left who still is active) nor Jessie still have communication with Sarah either, so who knows what the deal is.

Not in the fogtower.
    When the site goes down each month it's not maintenance. It's the site completely vanishing from the internet for a couple of days. Shrine selfhosts their DNS, and the servers serving DNS requests also go down. So nobody knows how to find the site anymore. Using the cached IPs also goes into nothing.

Going by the fact that the domain was literally up for sale - anybody could have bought it - I'm assuming a payment is always late, or something, and the provider shuts down the servers for a while. Scheduled maintance doesn't fit with the fact that somebody forgot to renew their domain. Which should happen automatically, anyway.

Edit: Some post above says we get a "404" during those times. That's entirely wrong. 404 is a message sent by a server saying the resource requested does not exist. The server needs to be a live and respond to the request to do that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Client_errors
    Last edited by skeletonmage; 10-06-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
    This site has tried donations in the past and there were complications, with some people suspecting that the owner Sarah was not using the money the way she claimed to be (to put it mildly). That was a few years ago. Since then Sarah has been totally non-communicative about the state of the site, its finances, or why it goes down on a monthly basis; it might be a money problem or something else entirely. I guess neither the mods (or mod, since there's only one left who still is active) nor Jessie still have communication with Sarah either, so who knows what the deal is.
    Even if the owner doesn't use the money specifically for the site, if donations help ensure she bothers to keep the site up, it's worth having a donation box open at least. If she's currently paying for the site out of her own pocket without being engaged with it, there's probably not much incentive for her to keep it alive.

Survived the 『Hunt』, but not the Lady. Leon Scott Kennedy's Avatar
    The addition of a donation box/bar to be displayed on the index (at least) was suggested many times in the past, back when certain information didn't show up around here, that is.
    As you can see, it was ignored every single time.