Thread: Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mini to release in September 2019

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mini to release in September 2019

Following in the footsteps of Nintendo's NES Classic and SNES Classic, as well as Sony's PlayStation Classic, Sega is releasing a miniature replica version of the Genesis/Mega Drive, the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini, in September 2019.

It comes with 40 pre-loaded games and hooks up via HDMI.

It seems Sega's ditched AtGames (hurrah!) and gone with M2, the same company behind Sega Ages on the Nintendo Switch -- the Sonic the Hedgehog there seemingly has the spindash and the drop-dash from Sonic Mania, so if they have that in the Mini, that'd be awesome.

It looks like there's going to be differences between the Japanese release and elsewhere. In Japan, of the 40 games that come with the system, 10 have been announced: Castlevania: Bloodlines, Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes, Madou Monogatari Ichi, Powerball, Puyo Puyo 2, Rent-a-Hero, Shining Force, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, and Space Harrier II. Elsewhere, the currently known 10 titles are Altered Beast, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Comix Zone, Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, Ecco the Dolphin, Gunstar Heroes, Shining Force, Sonic The Hedgehog, Space Harrier II, and ToeJam & Earl.

Additionally, in Japan, the system comes with a 6-button controller, whereas outside of Japan a 3-button gamepad is included. The Japanese release has either one controller, or by paying a little more, two of them; elsewhere, it seems two controllers are always included.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I don't know about any of you, but I am so getting this.
    Last edited by SonikkuBlur; 04-14-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Onion Kid
    There is some Megadrive clone currently offered in many eletronics discounters at a price point many would consider as non competitive:

Is Sega competing against itself again?
    I have a blog about pop music that sounds like famous game music. I'd be happy if you dropped by!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsPhindings View Post
    There is some Megadrive clone currently offered in many eletronics discounters at a price point many would consider as non competitive:

Is Sega competing against itself again?
    See, that's exactly what I meant -- see who Sega gave the rights to for that one? AtGames. If you Google, you'll see there's tons of people complaining about the quality of these products, the emulation in particular. There's screen tearing, the music is off, etc. A mess, really. That's why Sega ditched this company.

This is why the M2 announcement was met with optimism and hype.

-- UPDATE --

So, a total of twenty of the forty games have been announced for both variants. Here's a full list of the officially revealed titles so far.

Japan:

Castlevania: Bloodlines, Comix Zone, Contra: Hard Corps, Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special, Game no Kanzume Otokuyo, Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker, MUSHA, Madou Monogatari I, Powerball, Puyo Puyo Tsu, Rent-A-Hero, Shining Force, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Space Harrier 2, Streets of Rage 2, Super Fantasy Zone, The Hybrid Front, Thunder Force III, World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck.

Elsewhere:

Altered Beast, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Comix Zone, Contra: Hard Corps, Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, Earthworm Jim, Ecco the Dolphin, Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole, Probotector, Shining Force, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Space Harrier 2, Streets of Rage II, Super Fantasy Zone, Thunder Force III, ToeJam & Earl, World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Onion Kid
    No Shining Force 2? Sad. No MUSHA in Europe? sad. No Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Sad. Hard Corps AND Probotector? Well, ok. At least we get Earthworm Jim..

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsPhindings View Post
    No Shining Force 2? Sad. No MUSHA in Europe? sad. No Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Sad. Hard Corps AND Probotector? Well, ok. At least we get Earthworm Jim..
    Well, hold up there. These are the titles that have been revealed so far. Remember that there's still twenty games left to be announced. I'm personally hoping the Mortal Kombat trilogy, Ristar, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are included, but we'll see.