• Star Wars

63 57.27%
  • Star Trek

47 42.73%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Okay. Fair enough.
    Complete Score Wishlist:

James Horner - Romeo & Juliet (Rejected)
    John Williams - Prisoner of Azkaban, The Force Awakens
    Ghost in the Shell - Clint Mansell; The Fall - Krishna Levy; Hulk by Mychael Danna (rejected); 300: Rise Of An Empire by Federico Jusid (rejected)

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    GET IN THE CHOPER!

I, Jedi = awesome book!

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

◄lȯ̡̮̩̥̝̹͚͕̝ͪ̅̐̀̚̚lico̓̄ ͉̲͈̻̣̀͐̇ͯ͗n► Argus Zephyrus's Avatar
    I read several of the Star Trek books about Kirk's (mis)adventures when I was young.
    I don't remember squat except that I had some fun, lol.
    The Star Trek TV series I got bored of after a while (NG, OS?, D9, Voyager). Actually, I'm just sick of them. I like Star Wars better. Some of those books I had more fun reading. Note that I said like, not love. I'm inclined to echo [Hidden link. Register to see links.] in the end for the sake of bashing them both.

I don't remember if I read I, Jedi. I've been told its good, along with the Thrawn trilogy. Seems the only one I remember now is Shadows of the Empire, probably also because of the "meh" N64 title that came from it.
    I do own a handful of books, but I'm too lazy to reread them. =p
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.].
    Alternatively,
    if you're an idiot, click [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

I liked the comics when I was younger (mainly the ones drawn by Cam Kennedy), but I've tried to read them recently, and it's nearly impossible to get through a page. The dialogue is just as bad as Lucas', and unfortunately, lacks the presence of Harrison Ford, Natalie Portman, and Ewan McGregor.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Seeing as how this thread is showing signs of life again... might as well add to the conversation.

I used to like the Star Wars comics... ones set between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back (I like this for the same reasons as Dante stated in Kevin Smith's movie Clerks), but after the movies and novels (Timothy Zahn's trilogy: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command were brilliant)... I grew sick of them. All the stuff about Luke and Co. just bored me to tears.

I did thorougly enjoy the 'Tales of the Jedi' series (detailed the events of the Sith War led by former Jedi turned Dark Lord of the Sith, Exar Kun (and first Jedi/Sith to wield a double bladed lightsaber... as he struck down his master, Vodo Siorsk Bass with it in front of the entire Jedi Council on Coruscant...)) as well as the Knights of the Old Republic comic series (set prior to Revan and Malak leading Jedi and the Republic against the Mandalorians, as detailed in the game made by BioWare). I'm looking into Star Wars Knight Errant atm... that looks... promising.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

Star Wars: Legacy was/is pretty good.

Legacy was a 'meh' experience for me... Only part of Legacy I liked was the crossover "Vector". Spanning over 4,000 years just that one story arc, with Celeste Morne being the only character to appear in the whole thing...

Did explain how the Rakghouls were created... Not surprised really.

Onion Kid
    Gentle Reader (or viewer),
    You take them at their own level.
    Star Trek was a western transplanted into space.
    Star Wars was a retelling of the basic adventure story (Every mythology from Gilgamesh to Urban Legends tossed into a blender).
    Nod politely and like them as such or not.
    Incidentally, I like them both for what they are and what they are not.
    Borrowing the catchphrase from Mounds and Almond Joy, "Sometimes you feel like a nut."

Quote Originally Posted by WickerChairs View Post
    Star Trek was a western transplanted into space.
    Firefly was a western transplanted into space, NOT Star Trek.

Onion Kid
    Check the tropes, man, check the tropes.
    Late nineteenth or early twentieth century western, not 1960s movie western.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Firefly was a western transplanted into space, NOT Star Trek.
    Firefly WAS a western in space. Star Trek was a western adapted for space - just like WickerChairs said earlier. Even according to Gene Roddenberry Star Trek is "a wagon train to the stars".

Maybe for The Original Series, but not really for The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine or Voyager.

Star Wars was a western in space.

Onion Kid
    Star Trek wins simply because it allows for time travel. Win.

Star Wars...

Both have its strengths and weaknesses.

But for me it is Star Trek all the way. I love Empire and Jedi - but the first half of 'A New Hope' is unbearable with Luke as the lead. Thankfully Ben and Han meet-up and the movie gains characters you can actually root and care for. And outside of a couple scenes from the New Trilogy and animated series, there isn't much that has grabbed my attention.And as I grow older the shine the series has began to lose its luster.

Star Trek on the other hand...
    As I get older I seem to find more things to love. I used to hate The Original Series, but now I can see beyond the silly special effects and see the great writing and storytelling that was presented. As iconic as Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie are; they pale in comparison to Kirk, Spock, Sisko, Riker, Picard and O'Brien.

And although Star Wars do indeed click Star Trek's but on the movie side - the hours and hours of great television that Star Trek has provided over the years is astounding: Let That Be Your Last Battlefield (TOS), The City on the Edge of Forever (TOS), Darmok (TNG), The Best of Both Worlds(TNG), Chain of Command [THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!](TNG), Tapestry (TNG), The Defector (TNG), Frame of Mind (TNG), Paradise (DS9), Whispers (DS9), The Search (DS9), Explorers (DS9), The Ship (DS9), For the Uniform (DS9), In the Pale Moonlight (DS9), Valiant (DS9), Year of Hell (VOY), Blink of an Eye (VOY) to name a few.

Meh. In the long run - why choose one over the other. Have both and take what you like the most from each.

Grand Shriner
    I still like both but being older and older my interest gradually shifted from the middle to the Star Trek side.

Onion Kid
    Star Wars all the way to me.

Star Trek wins for me...sure the were a few duds in there but that's how I feel about all three of the Star Wars prequels, poorly executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini37 View Post
    Star Trek wins for me...sure the were a few duds in there but that's how I feel about all three of the Star Wars prequels, poorly executed.
    George Lucas let a lot of people down with the prequel trilogy... and there's rumors that he wants to remake all 6 of the movies again. The fact he made the Star Wars The Force Unleashed games (both of them) canon, says a lot about his mental state... or lack thereof.

I'm so glad I'm not young anymore. JonC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams View Post
    Firefly WAS a western in space. Star Trek was a western adapted for space - just like WickerChairs said earlier. Even according to Gene Roddenberry Star Trek is "a wagon train to the stars".
    The phrase "Wagon Train to the Stars" is a misunderstanding. The reference was used during the pitch to NBC that was about the format; that is, that it would copy the television structure of the show "Wagon Train," in its emphasis on guest stars. In many important ways, this never happened. In any event, this is not to be interpreted as a basis for the content or origins of the show. The simpler origin for Star Trek was Forbidden Planet: The Series. Since that was in turn based on The Tempest, one can argue that it wasn't copying westerns, it was copying Shakespeare. (Although often not well, but hey, he's a tough act to follow.)
    JonC
    Do to changes in my schedule, I am not able to do uploads, renew links or fulfill requests at this time. I will resume uploads if and when the situation changes.

The original Star Trek series but with Jean-Luc Picard as the captain instead of James Tiberius Kirk or better yet in my perfect alternate universe reality hallucination, the Star Trek movie (2009) is actually the Star Trek TV series.

Star Wars all the way for me. Scale is huge, tech is awesome, and the capital ships are frightining.

Star Wars for because of the technology but I am also a fan of Star Trek for the same reason so I will bring my other favorite and take them both out Battlestar Galactica

There are pros and cons on both sides. So I'll vote for Space Above and Beyond 'cos it's pros all the way.