Laguna (VIII, 7th, 12)
    Celes (VI, 11th, 11)
    Red XIII (VII, 71st, 10)
    Balthier (XII, 27th, 10)
    Freya (IX, 37th, 11)
    Terra (VI, 5th, 11)
    Zidane (IX, 3rd, 11)

Ultros' New Sidekick JohnnyMercyside's Avatar
    Last chance to vote in Round 4! Any tiebreakers will be put forward before we go into The Quarter Finals
    "You don't need a reason to help people."

I play old school games every Sunday 8pm GMT on Twitch, come say hi! [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Round 4 Roundup

Most Popular Characters - Cid from FF7's elimination means that Kefka from FF6 is now leading with 16 points. Cid accumulated 16 points too so despite his elimination, he did tremendously well. Behind Kefka on 15 points is Tellah from FF4 and Laguna from FF8.

Most Popular Characters (All Time) – Celes from FF6 and Cid from FF7 have both marginally moved into the Top 10, knocking Rydia from FF4 into 12th place. Cid has been eliminated though so chances are Celes will cement 10th place and move Cid into 11th, unless she gets a wipeout in Round 5.

Highest Rise in All Time Rankings – Dycedarg of FF Tactics's rise of 21 spaces remain the highest rise in the rankings, and is likely to be the highest rise this year. I'll remove this section in the next round unless someone else rises higher.

"Biggest Upsets" – Undisputably the biggest upset of the previous round was Tellah from FF4 taking out Terra from FF6! 5th placed Terra doesn't get knocked out easily, so for 37th ranked Tellah to come in and defeat her is a big deal. This is actually Tellah's best performance in the history of this knockout game!

It's Quarter Final Time! At this point in the competition we start to remove the statistics and talk more about who's left and how they've done in the past. Please welcome, the Top 8!

Celes – This is Celes’, third quarter final, and also it's in a row. She finished in 7th last year but the previous year she finished as runner up, in an all-female final to Rydia from FF4. Can she make it to her second semi final?

Freya - Congratulations Freya! This is her first quarter final and, naturally, it's the best she's ever performed. She's a big underdog in this year's game, but can she make an upset and get to the semi's?

Kefka - You could make an argument to say that Kefka is the favourite. Why? He's the only character left in the game that's won the whole tournament before, doing so 3 years ago. That being said, this is only his second quarter final. Can he make it to his second semi?

Laguna - Laguna is in his fourth quarter final, but it's the first time he's got to this stage for four years would you believe, when he placed in 3rd, his best finish. He's the only FF8 character left, does he have your support to make it to his second semi final?

Locke - FF6 are the "favourite" this year, with three entries in the quarter finals. Locke however is entering only his second quarter final, the last time was 3 years ago when he finished 7th. Can he get to the semis for the first time ever?

Red XIII – Red is a "newer character", having been introduced into the games four years ago. Despite that, this is his second quarter final, and in a row too! That being said, a "blue" character has never made it to the semis before. Can Nanaki be the first one?

Tellah - "You spoony bard!" Tellah, as mentioned before, has never made it this far into the games before. So along with Freya, he's a massive underdog here. FF4's last representative, can he surprise us all again and get to the semis?

Zidane - We talked about favourites with Kefka before, but really, Zidane is the true favourite, being the highest ranked character left in the game in 3rd place (actually, 2nd, taking into account this year's game tally). This is his fifth semi final, but also, it's his first in 4 years. He's never won the game before however. Can he finally take the crown? He'll have to enter his third semi final to do so!

Here we go, Quarter Final time!

Round 5: The Quarter Finals
    (Key: Character, Game, Last Year’s Rank, This Year’s Points Tally)
    Characters that joined three years ago are still in blue

Red XIII (VII, 71st, 14) vs Freya (IX, 37th, 14)
    Kefka (VI, 8th, 16) vs Laguna (VIII, 7th, 15)
    Tellah (IV, 37th, 15) vs Locke (VI, 13th, 14)
    Celes (VI, 11th, 14) vs Zidane (IX, 3rd, 14)

Round 5: The Quarter Finals
    Freya (IX, 37th, 14)
    Kefka (VI, 8th, 16)
    Tellah (IV, 37th, 15)
    Celes (VI, 11th, 14)

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently DANGANRONPA songs and 10th ANNIVERSARY encores
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Red XIII
    Kefka
    Locke
    Zidane

Round 5: Quarter Finals

Red XIII (VII, 71st, 14) - this was tough, a toss-up really.
    Laguna (VIII, 7th, 15)
    Tellah (IV, 37th, 15)
    Zidane (IX, 3rd, 14) - this hurt, two favorites of mine.

I think the first year or two that I did this I never voted for a single FF8 character. I guess replaying them did change some things heh.

Red XIII (VII, 71st, 14) ~I liked Red a lot. He performs too well for me to call him underrated, but he was definitely a bit of a hidden gem for me. I ended up defaulting to Cloud Tifa and Barret pretty much all game when the party build was standard, but for those moments where you were encouraged to mix it up, Barret, Cid and Red was my preferred backup team. In contrast, an FF9 replay hasn't happened yet, so Freya is a vague, distant, fuzzy memory to me.
    Laguna (VIII, 7th, 15) ~We're getting to the point where my inclination is to policy vote against past winners, and Laguna and Squall were the two options who rose from being lumped into the all encompassing "I don't like FF8" void to become characters I really enjoyed.
    Tellah (IV, 37th, 15) ~This was the toughest one. FF6 ended up being my least enjoyable replay, not because I disliked it, but simply because I remembered it so vividly from playing it over and over and over again as a kid that the experience offered me nothing new, whereas all of the others filled in memory gaps for me to one extent or another. (FF4 was pretty close to perfect memory, but there were still some bits that felt fresh to me.) Besides Kefka, who has already won, Locke was always my favorite character from that game, but Tellah feels like the more fun choice in my present perspective on the games. Yeah, let's do that.
    Celes (VI, 11th, 14) ~And then this one just felt easy.

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    Freya
    Laguna
    Locke
    Zidane painfully hard choice aaaaaaa...

A few notes before I reveal the Semi Final pairings...

- It's official, we'll be crowning a new winner this year!
    - This is the first all-male semi final since the first year back in 2011.
    - This is Zidane from FF9's best performance in 5 years. He's now a three time semi finalist
    - Also, this is Laguna from FF8's best performance in 4 years, and his second semi final
    - Tellah from FF4 and Red XIII from FF7 have never done this well before!
    - Tellah is the second character from FF4 to get this after after Rydia went all the way to win it back in 2016
    - Laguna is one of two characters from FF8 to get to the semis, the other is Squall who did it in 2011 when he became the first champ and he came third in 2013.
    - Red XIII is the third character from FF7 to get this far after Sephiroth who came 2nd in 2011 and Cloud who came 4th in 2012. He's also the first "new" character to get this far in the game.
    - FF9 has produced 5 semi finalists, the most successful obviously being Vivi who infamously won this game 3 years in a row between 2012 and 2014. Beatrix is also a three time semi finalist, she won last year and is taking a break this year, but before that she came 2nd in 2012 and 4th in 2013. Quina did it two years on the bounce back in 2016 and 2017, when he/she finished 3rd and 4th respectively. And finally all the way back in 2011 Kuja came 4th and hasn't done as well ever since.

We're almost there! Who will make the final?

Round 6: The Semi Finals
    (Key: Character, Game, Last Year’s Rank, This Year’s Points Tally)
    Characters that joined three years ago are still in blue

Zidane (IX, 3rd, 17) vs Red XIII (VII, 71st, 17)
    Tellah (IV, 37th, 18) vs Laguna (VIII, 7th, 18)

Round 6: Semi-finals

Zidane (IX, 3rd, 17)
    Laguna (VIII, 7th, 18)

Zidane
    Laguna

Red XIII
    Tellah

Interesting. Feels like a very different mix than we've had the last few years!

Red XIII (VII, 71st, 17)
    Laguna (VIII, 7th, 18)

Last chance to vote in the Semi Finals, as things stand we have one tiebreaker...

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    Zidane

Laguna

It's the final!

Route to the Finals

Laguna
    Game: Final Fantasy VIII
    Ranking prior to 2018 game: 7th
    Ranking in 2011: 9th
    Ranking in 2012: 8th
    Ranking in 2013: 5th
    Ranking in 2014: 3rd
    Ranking in 2015: 38th
    Ranking in 2016: 103rd
    Ranking in 2017: 55th
    Total Ranking in 2011 points prior to 2018 game: 116
    Points in 2018 game: 22
    Opponents in 2018 game: Mustadio (Tactics), Cid (IV), Kain (IV), Edgar (VI), Kefka (VI), Tellah (IV)
    Interesting fact: This is the first time since 2011 that a character from FF8 has made it to the final, when Squall won the first ever tournament,

Zidane
    Game: Final Fantasy IX
    Ranking prior to 2018 game: 3rd
    Ranking in 2011: 5th
    Ranking in 2012: 3rd
    Ranking in 2013: 2nd
    Ranking in 2014: 5th
    Ranking in 2015: 33rd
    Ranking in 2016: 20th
    Ranking in 2017: 11th
    Total points prior to 2018 game: 147
    Points in 2018 game: 20
    Opponents in 2018 game: Vanille (XIII), Basch (XII), Gilgamesh (V), Sabin (VI), Celes (VI), Red XIII (VII)
    Interesting fact: Zidane is the highest ranked character NEVER to have won this game, coming 2nd five years ago.

Who's your favourite character?
    Laguna or Zidane?

Bonus Vote!
    Commiserations to Tellah and Red XIII, who missed out on the final. However, for the first time EVER, we have a tie for third place! Both Tellah and Red finish on 19 points, what I want to know is, who is your favourite? The winner of this mini poll will come third. Note however, that the votes on this poll don't count to the final score of the individuals

Tellah or Red XIII?
    Last edited by JohnnyMercyside; 12-01-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Laguna

Tellah

Lalalalalalalalalaguna

and Tellah

Zidane

Red XIII

Zidane

Red XIII

DOUBLE TIE!! ...I'm so sorry

Last chance saloon! Would rather not have the final go into a tiebreaker..!

I imagine Szczepan will pop in eventually haha

Summon...Szczepan

Around 14 hours remain!

Szczepan save us!
    I commend your courage, but I'll show you no mercy.