Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Thread: best rpg you've played?

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Van Finel, Drakengard is an action game with no resemblance at all to RPGs. FFT, La Pucelle Tactics, and Tactics Ogre are all strategy games. While FFT has enough of the conventions of the pseudo RPG genre most of the FF series falls under to sort of be considered one, the other two do not.

Also, Slim, I've said similar things to people who listed things like Zelda games. It wasn't an attack. It was an observation. I'm not always out to get you, but it's really funny to see you overreact that way, so please don't consider that an encouragement to change your ways.

Slayer of the dumbfucks Van Finel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak
    Van Finel, Drakengard is an action game with no resemblance at all to RPGs. FFT, La Pucelle Tactics, and Tactics Ogre are all strategy games. While FFT has enough of the conventions of the pseudo RPG genre most of the FF series falls under to sort of be considered one, the other two do not.
    I agree

As I have been known for taking definitions to prove my point, I will, once again, take advantage of this wonderful resource.

role-playing game
    n.

A game in which players assume the roles of characters and act out fantastical adventures, the outcomes of which are partially determined by chance, as by the roll of dice.

Of course, this definition seems to be defining a 'board' game RPG, it still means the same thing. Outcomes are partially determined by chance. Whereas, statistics take the role of chance. For example, the luck statistic found in most RPGs. Or the fact that an attack may miss on occasion. Levelling up ultimately falls under the same category. Levelling up makes you better/stronger, therefore improving your chances of winning (Drakengard).

And Prak, the only reason I stated that you personally attacked me was because a small amount of posts prior to mine someone mention FFTactics and they were left happily alone. Also including the fact that, through past experiences, I am your prime target. You must like these arguements. To be hoest, I don't mind them. It's almost become a form of entertainment. It must be fun to read two smart people going at it. People's minds must be changing all the time. Anyway, I hope this clears things up.

That definition is wildly inaccurate and was probably written by someone who was completely ignorant of the roots of the genre, leading them to mistake its defining characteristics. Many people make the same mistake. First of all, any game that has premade characters whose decisions are predetermined is not a true RPG. RPGs are about role-playing, which is defining not just the actions, but the personality of your character.

Secondly, level systems are not a requisite feature of an RPG. The convention may have grown out of RPGs, but that's merely because pen and paper/tabletop RPGs were the first thing of their type. These days, such systems are used frequently in pure action games. For example, only a fool would ever call one of the 2D Castlevania games an RPG instead of an action platformer, but many of them feature level systems.

Valkyrie's Profile (PS)
    Disgaea:Hour of Darkness (PS2)
    Shin Megami Tensei:Nocturne (PS2)
    Breath of Fire 4 (PS)
    Makai Kingdom (PS2)
    Golden Sun (GBA)
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Forums, Roleplay, Community

First of all, any game that has premade characters whose decisions are predetermined is not a true RPG.
    So, no Final Fantasy is a true RPG?

Righful owner of the matrix jewess crabcake's Avatar
    Just because those ar Prak's definition of an RPG doesn't make it a solid fact. althought to my definition all games would be an RPG, so i don't know what to say.

You own a Xbox 360? Join the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] today!

Quote Originally Posted by Alelluia_LOCKandLOAD
    So, no Final Fantasy is a true RPG?
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart Reborn
    Just because those ar Prak's definition of an RPG doesn't make it a solid fact. althought to my definition all games would be an RPG, so i don't know what to say.
    Thankfully, there are people like me out there who do know what to say. And me saying so does not make it a solid fact. I simply say it because it already is a solid fact.

Ein Fahrender Ritter Valerie Valens's Avatar
    Actually, FFI is considered a pseudo-RPG and FFXI is an MMORPG, but those are just exceptions.

Most of the stuff you guys listed are Adventure/Action/Platformer games with levelling up as a system for gaining power and abilities that help you beat the game.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Wow, Prak, your unbelievable knowledge of absolutely everything astonishes me. So basically, you just told me that everything that anyone has posted in this thread is not truly an RPG. The shit that spills from your mouth is unbelievable. Even when you try to cover your ass and save yourself from being proven wrong, you just dig yourself a deeper whole. Just learn to accept when you have made a mistake, because you do make them.

Quote Originally Posted by The idiot in the above post
    Wow, Prak, your unbelievable knowledge of absolutely everything astonishes me. So basically, you just told me that everything that anyone has posted in this thread is not truly an RPG. The shit that spills from your mouth is unbelievable. Even when you try to cover your ass and save yourself from being proven wrong, you just dig yourself a deeper whole. Just learn to accept when you have made a mistake, because you do make them.
    Saying I'm wrong doesn't make it so, especially when I offer well-reasoned explanations for my points and you simply say "omg stfu ur wrong." In other words, you simply don't know when to give up, so you're looking like an absolute fool right now.

Ein Fahrender Ritter Valerie Valens's Avatar
    Oh please! Spare me your histrionics and give us a sound argument as to why you think Prak is full of shit because I am failing to see eye to eye with you on this.

Level 70 Night Elf Druid iceberg325's Avatar
    I dont care what anyone says, FF is a rpg!!!!!!!

Best rpg, chrono trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you care? Are you content to allow the game to be mislabeled just because you find the misnomer to be comfortable? Perhaps you somehow think that the term "RPG" is a badge of honor or something and somehow makes a game better than other games? Either way, it's silly.

ffxii is the best rpg ever!...

although i'm not finishing it and stuck at the golmore jungle...
    I'm in love with milk tea
    Facebook = Zulzalihin Mohamed

Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar
    Actually, FFI is considered a pseudo-RPG and FFXI is an MMORPG, but those are just exceptions.

Most of the stuff you guys listed are Adventure/Action/Platformer games with levelling up as a system for gaining power and abilities that help you beat the game.
    Would adding a "c" (for console) in front of the RPG misnomer clear things up? Calling games like FF, Chrono Trigger, and Star Ocean "Adventure/Action/Platformergames with levelling up system" is at least as inconvienent as just RPG is wrong.
    Thanks to Garamond for the sig/ava!

best rpg you've played?

Mine would obviously be many of the Final Fantasy series but another RPG that I love is by the same creators as Final Fantasy called Xenogears

So basically, you just told me that everything that anyone has posted in this thread is not truly an RPG.
    No, I posted "Modern", a D20 game made by "Wizards of the Coast", a true RPG by every nature of the word. I tend to only consider D&D and other games like that to be true RPG's, FFXI I think would be one, but I never played it, but I agree, any game with a pre-determined outcome and characters is not.

I do have an interesting question, what about "The Sims" games, RPG? or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Joan-Michele
    Oh please! Spare me your histrionics and give us a sound argument as to why you think Prak is full of shit because I am failing to see eye to eye with you on this.
    Well, for example, Prak seems to be the only one that knows any of the information that he provides. He gives no evidence, and when challenged WITH suitable evidence, he simply says it is wrong and he is right, giving us no reason but his own word to believe a thing he is saying. Dragon Quest, a series much like FF, also developed by SQUARE ENIX. Here is an exact quote from the back of Dragon Quest VIII. "A vast and vibrant world is yours to explore in the latest installment of this legendary role-playing series." I am quite sure the critics/developers of the game know a LOT more about videogames than Prak.

Fail. It has already been shown in previous iterations of this discussion that video game developers are completely aware that the term is a misnomer. They continue to use it because it is a popular buzz word that sells games.

I have given evidence in the past, which you should be well aware of, having posted in at least one of those threads. Therefore, you either have the attention span of a lobotomized fruit fly or you're simply a compulsive liar. I'm not going to attempt to guess which is the case.

Righful owner of the matrix jewess crabcake's Avatar
    I always thought an Rpg was a game where you play the role of the lead character while there personality changes as well they learn to over come their problems. But I didn't think you had to sculpt the characters personality yourself... huh go figure.

You have to understand the roots of the genre. It was born out of games like Dungeons & Dragons, where the principle dynamic is that of the role-playing, not the gaming mechanics. It's about you playing a role, not you watching the role play itself as it does in most of the games that are listed in this thread.

Planescape Torment for me. A CRPG that manages to be an actual RPG as well.

Also, great story.

You have to understand the roots of the genre. It was born out of games like Dungeons & Dragons, where the principle dynamic is that of the role-playing, not the gaming mechanics. It's about you playing a role, not you watching the role play itself as it does in most of the games that are listed in this thread.
    I get confused over what D&D is really. Is it text based RPG covering the playing mechanics and the story?

And is it done on any electronic entertainment or is it more like a board game?

I was first introduced to RPG on the console system btw.

I think Final Fantasy VII was the best RPG for it's storyline, gameplay.

in my opinion, best RPG goes to Valkyrie's Profile for PS.