Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: best rpg you've played?

Don't forget Breath of Fire IV.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

other than ff, i would have to say morrowind, chrono cross, LOTR: the third age, and.............ok im just gonna say it, im addicted to legend of dragoon, is that so wrong?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by griff
    LOTR: the third age
    Ahhh! That game sucked balls.

But I do agree that CC was one of the best RPG's ever, same with CT and pretty much all the FF besides 11 and 10-2.
    I am 87% addicted to Counterstrike. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

cant really say, i dont have a number one favourite. if i had to pick a fave FF game it would either be VI or Tactics but as for everything else its a toss up:

Shining Force
    Baldurs Gate
    Chrono Trigger (Friggin ace!)
    Breath of Fire

The list could go on and as for the D&D tabletop game, yeah it rocks if you can get serious gamers to play it!

"How Do You Feel, Mighty Megatron?"

Quote Originally Posted by Purrr
    My thoughts exactly. Also check out Dark Cloud 2: Dark chronicle and the .hack series.
    Hah, the European version is called Dark Chronicle, I have that game. And it's ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualface117
    Whats the best rpg you've played? Mine would have to be (No suprise) Final Fantasy 7 and 10
    i would say ff7 & ffx

In terms of the number of hours of my life lost due to play, The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind wins hands down. I spent four months playing it non-stop, for five hours a night. I also loved both the Knights of the Old Republic, playing the second one to death in just over a week and still trying to work out the ending (or lack thereof).

Console-wise, I loved Final Fantasy X's storyline (if you sit there and work your way through it, it really is so well written). Chrono Trigger is right up there with the best, with the characters being likeable and the story being well written. Shining Force 2 is also one of the better ones, and I enjoyed Suikoden. I still need to beat the crap out of Konami for not releasing 3 in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Knights of the old republic one and two, elder scrolls series and final fantasy series.
    i have to agree with Liz
    Exactly what i was going to write

Formerly Dark~Cloud
    Diablo,
    Diablo II,
    Diablo II:Expansion,
    All the Final Fantasy Games,
    And Ragnarok.

I have no more to say, these are the best.

Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar

RPG's! Hooray RPG's!

Here's my list (in no specific order)

FFVI
    FFIX
    Morrowind
    Star Ocean 2
    Lunar: SSS
    Chrono Trigger

Notable absences include FFVII and FFX, for good reasons (or so I think).

FFX would be the best thing ever in my book, were it not for the ending. I think Square fracked up big time by allowing players to exceed limits that have been long-standing traditions. Also, with about three-six extra hours of gaming, one can make Yuna so powerful, that Orlandu looks like a chump in comparison. Yuna's ultimate weapon is wicked easy to get, and way overpowered. With it, I slaughtered EVERYTHING in my path, and I did NOT go all out to make my charries very strong, AT ALL. When you have a charrie dealing 99999 per round, with minimal effort, you have a problem, Houston.

As for FFVII, I personally think it the worst of the series (gasp!). First of all, Cloud is the worst protagonist I have ever seen. Once the coolness factor wears off for Sephiroth, he's not much better. Toss in the extremely muddled storyline (especially at the end), and it just leaves too much to be desired. Also, Jenova is a deliberate mistranslation of Jehovah (the name of God translated "THE LORD" in most Bibles), and from what I've read, Sephiroth is a reference to a piece of Jewish theology (the path of Sephirot, if memory serves). This is important, because by making them the villains in the game, it's a nice low blow to Western Culture (seeing as it was founded primarily upon Judeo-Christian beliefs) as a whole.

The games that did make my (by no means authoritative) list should speak for themselves, though.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Congratulations. You win my seal of approval. Please stick around and continue posting, secure in the knowledge that I have no desire to mercilessly mock you.

Grand Shriner
    Diablo 2 LOD is probaly the best imo.It's astonishing longetivity never ceases to amaze me.Also it holds the record for being the fastest game to sell 1 million copies.It's pure genius really.

Grand Shriner
    if MMORPG is allowed then i will say that i really enjoy FFXI and what i have seen of ragnarok (i have only been using a 23$ voucher [1 month] from a magazine)

for the N64 i did really enjoy a game called aidyn chronicles the first mage
    quite dark and mature for most n64 games

the seiken series will always live on in my heart as my true favorites (pitty about multi platform)

I have become strong to protect the weak Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo
    Diablo 2 LOD is probaly the best imo.It's astonishing longetivity never ceases to amaze me.Also it holds the record for being the fastest game to sell 1 million copies.It's pure genius really.
    Do i have to say more..he said it all ^_^ but D2 is not the ebst ever, at least not for me, although it kicks some serious butt

Best RPG ever: Final Fantasy VII - end of story ^_^
    I am the hope of the universe!
    I am the answer to all living
    things that cry out for peace!
    I am the protector of the innocent!
    I am the light in the darkness!
    I am truth.

I haven't really played many but Final fantasy 7 wins.
    You want a reason? The setting and Story and music were all just right.

I notice a lot of you have put more than one game despite the topic title being "The best rpg ever!" so will I.

Soliel (megadrive) also called Crusader of centy in America.
    Buck rogers countdown to doomsday (megadrive)
    Legend of Zelda Link's awakening (gameboy)
    Chrono trigger (Snes) (only played via emulation though...)

Also I recognise that Final fantasy 9 is a better game than 7.

Final Fantasy X and Xenosaga Episode I are two very awesome games in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyuk
    Also I recognise that Final fantasy 9 is a better game than 7.
    pfft! 9 is my second least favourite but my favourite RPG is probably FFX, outsideof FFs it'd be Kingdom Hearts and Golden Sun (GBA)

J. Peterman
    Suikoden II
    Everything else is for LOSERS

pfft! 9 is my second least favourite but my favourite RPG is probably FFX
    Fair enough, However I was so dissapointed with 10 I didn't even bother with 10-2. I would like to see someone come up with a GOOD reason why 9 is not fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyuk
    I would like to see someone come up with a GOOD reason why 9 is not fantastic.
    half of the characters are drawn like children, the storyline is weak and simple compared to other rpg's, the characters arent as easy to connect to, the soundtrack is probably the worst in all the ff games (that ive played at least), and the main enemy is a dude in a thong. im not homophobic or anything but i dont think very many people who realize this can be completely comfortable with the fact that youre chasing him around the world. ff9 is still a really good game and all despite this, but i think fantastic may be a bit over the top

And you've played what, 7, 10, and 10-2?

The following RPGs can't be matched in awesomeness:

FF6
    Chrono Trigger
    Tales of Phantasia (This game would make Final Fantasy 1-6 look like a bunch of dirty whores if it weren't so goddamned hard )

Tuly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.
    -Edward D. Morrison

i think fantastic may be a bit over the top
    Well... I can't really argue with what you wrote, but it's still fantastic in my mind.
    I'm guessing you probably didn't like the way the characters were designed because you prefer realism? I prefer original designs like 9 over realistic people in 8.
    And kuja is rather disturbing I'll admit, I would say he is more flamboyant than simply Gay as some people claim.
    But the story is good until you get to the end when suddenly loads of plot twists are thrown at you for no reason. The crystal and Necron and all that.

Hands off my bread! Psycho_Cyan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by griff
    half of the characters are drawn like children, the storyline is weak and simple compared to other rpg's, the characters arent as easy to connect to, the soundtrack is probably the worst in all the ff games (that ive played at least), and the main enemy is a dude in a thong. im not homophobic or anything but i dont think very many people who realize this can be completely comfortable with the fact that youre chasing him around the world. ff9 is still a really good game and all despite this, but i think fantastic may be a bit over the top
    If you're even hinting in the teeniest, tiniest way, that FFVII might, in this dimension, or any other, past, present, or future, be better in ANY way than FFIX...you deserve one hundred and forty lashes with a wet noodle.

By the way, Griff, did Legend of Dragoon have a story? I played maybe half way through it, and I never found one. The battle mechanic with the timed hits was nice, though. Also, Chrono Trigger was WAY better than Cross. Serge's double-bladed thing was neat, but there were just WAY too many characters to cram into a three-person party. Notables include a Nikki Sixx wanna-be, a masamune-wielding knight named Glenn (THAT doesn't sound familiar...), and a fracking voodoo doll! But FFIX had characters that were drawn like children...
    Thanks to Garamond for the sig/ava!