Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elliot Goldenthal / Interview With The Vampire (Deluxe Edition) / FLAC / MP3 / HiRes

Thumbs up Elliot Goldenthal / Interview With The Vampire (Deluxe Edition) / FLAC / MP3 / HiRes

Credit must go to [Hidden link. Register to see links.] who shared the sessions (though I can't find the thread right now)

Heya Guys! Long in the making, today is the day [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and I present the Deluxe Edition of 'Interview With The Vampire' by Elliot Goldenthal. About this Edition, there isn't much to write. Fink turned the sessions (from which it was produced) into something that resembles an officially released album, I mastered it. Regarding mastering, I tried to update the sound a little. I wanted to improve low level resolution and diminish the slightly brittle and too aggressive sound of the original soundtrack release. I think I was successful but I actually don't know if the end result sounds any better than either the sessions or the OST. It took me a looooooong time to come up with a sound I liked, I've spent working on it every other day or so and I've waited a few weeks before I released it here. But I'm still not sure... so you be the judge of that

Something special is the approximation of the final score piece, done by Fink. We wanted to include the music for the last scene where Lestat attacks the reporter while he drives the car. This music wasn't on the sessions so he had to use music from the movie itself. I think his approximation comes close to the real thing so please give him kudos for that

The cover isn't my usual bourgeouis job, not completely at least. The movie received only one poster one could use for a soundtrack cover. So I had to search for other pictures related to the whole Anne-Rice-Vampire-Franchise to produce other covers. Some of them don't fit at all but look ok nonetheless.

P.S.: I've included an unused song by Cher. Yes, you've read that correctly. When George Fenton was still aboard, Cher was supposed to sing a piano ballad for the end credits. Originally, she was even supposed to play Louis as a transvestite in case the "gay theme" wouldn't be approved by studio executives. No, this isn't a joke, Anne Rice herself talked about it years later, she had written a special screenplay to accomodate studio conservatism. The studio went ahead with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt in the leads, negating the need for that screenplay. The song "Lovers Forever" subsequently was never released and Cher dug it out for her 2013-album 'Closer To The Truth'. Instead of the piano ballad, she reworked it into a dance hall piece. It doesn't fit the rest of the music in any way... but neither does the Guns N' Roses song. You can delete both songs if you want to anyway.

Tracklist:

01. Libera Me
    02. Born To Darkness Part I
    03. Transformation (Louis)
    04. Commedia dell'arte
    05. Plantation Pyre
    06. Lestat's Recitative
    07. Marche Funèbre
    08. Lestat's Tarantella
    09. Transformation (Claudia)
    10. Claudia's Allegro Agitato
    11. Deceiving Lestat
    12. Naughty little girl
    13. Escape To Paris
    14. Santiago's Waltz
    15. Théâtre des Vampires
    16. An Empty Universe
    17. Armand's Seduction & Madeleine's Lament
    18. Abduction & Claudia's Death
    19. Absolution
    20. Louis' Revenge
    21. Born To Darkness Part II
    22. Scent Of Death
    23. Lestat Returns
    24. Guns N' Roses - Sympathy For The Devil
    25. Strauss Waltz (Source)
    26. Claudia's Theme (Glass Harmonica)
    27. Cher - Lovers Forever (Unused Song)

To War or not to War

Yes, this is still a Loudness War release. I'm sick of catering to just one crowd: Audiophiles. I cannot ignore other people who simply don't care about sound. I may not like that... but hey, who am I to be so high and mighty? Mastering is making compromises. The compromise is that something should play well anywhere. And if that means that it's as loud as possible, so be it. I became aware of it when someone wrote to me in private that he never hears a difference to the official versions, only that my Editions are softer. Meaning that people don't know that if something is softer it probably has more dynamic range. They may have heard about the Loudness War but only because other people mentioned it. The fact is that other people have better things to do than to bother themselves with things not important to them. That's how it should be, you know. For that reason I will from now on offer two versions: an Audiophile Version and a Loudness War version. The latter will encompass lossless and lossy releases, the former only lossless. The difference between them is bit depth, samplerate and brickwall limiting. The Audiophile version lacks it, the Loudness War version is limited. I have to say, even the sound of the Loudness War version is pretty good (I have the good stuff... erm, tools).

Which version should you take?

Simple: have you ever heard the expression Loudness War? No? Then take exactly that version, either FLAC or MP3. You don't really care about sound but you want something a little different, a little more modern? The same. If you can't stand something that's dynamically limited or if you believe in the superiority of HiRes, take the Audiophile version. Easy, no?

Code:
    Audiophile FLAC (24/48):
    https://www.mirrored.to/files/0KSKLRPK/LoveSongForAMelancholicVampire.rar_links

Code:
    Loudness War FLAC & MP3:
    https://www.mirrored.to/files/AIK8L6K2/SongsForAVampire.rar_links

Password for all: DepressionAtFirstBite101
    Last edited by SonicAdventure; 07-30-2018 at 07:25 AM.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Superb. Thank you for this
    PM’s may take a long, long, long time for me to reply. Those here who know me personally will know why - All is well

Grand Shriner
    Thanks!!

For me, the sound really works like this, it s elegant, dark, cold but not too much. Thanks again Sonic.

Goldenthal always needs work. It s so much more pleasant to listen to this as an album... And for once, the chronological order works quite well, which is rare for his work.
    I hope you ll like it, don't hesitate to leave a comment

"perfectly balanced" DAKoftheOTA's Avatar
    I’ve still never seen this film norm beard the score. Thanks for the share and your hard work

Any Led-Zeppelin fans on here? I made custom film versions of all their songs that appear in my favorite movie, Almost Famous. If you're interested, you know what to do

Don't forget the visitor message option

#makeamericagreatagain

Shriner
    Thank you very much for all your efforts. This is one of my favourite horror scores ever

Quote Originally Posted by DAKoftheOTA View Post
    I’ve still never seen this film norm beard the score. Thanks for the share and your hard work
    Well, it's a romantic horror movie. One character is a pleasure seeking, fun-loving bisexual, the other a seemingly constantly depressed bisexual. Together, as a couple, they create a vampire child, played by a young Kirsten Dunst. Since she's a child, she doesn't grow up which creates problems. It's a liberal movie so I don't know if it's your cup of tea. On the other hand, all actors involved are very good, Tom Cruise's performance is a pleasant surprise considering the portrayal of Lestat in the books. I've read many of them and while I loved them 20 years ago I can't recommend them today as Anne Rice just isn't a very good writer. The movie is outright classy compared to the books. It looks good, camera work is good, editing is good, acting is even better, direction is confident. And it can still make me shiver with delight. Really, I get goosebumps the first time someone is bitten because it's exhilarating.

Grand Shriner
    ...both versions are named "loudness war flac"...??

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJJ View Post
    ...both versions are named "loudness war flac"...??
    I don't understand the question. There is an Audiophile version and a Loudness War version, the latter contains both FLAC and MP3 encodes.

Grand Shriner
    lovesongforavampire after un-packing is named Loudness War (Flac)

songforavampire is called Loudness War (Flac) and (MP3)

so are both Flac versions the Loudness War version?

lovesongforavampire after un-packing is named Loudness War (Flac)

songforavampire is called Loudness War (Flac) and (MP3)

so are both Flac versions the Loudness War version?
    Crap! Yes, they are, I made an error! I'm embarrassed, how could this happen? I'm very sorry, I'm going to replace the version soon.

Grand Shriner
    ...no problem...
    at first I wasn't quite sure if I had downloaded the correct version...so I got ALL and voila!

Eat Well. Stay Fit. Die Anyway. GlassButterflies's Avatar
    Amazing! Always love to dig into a SonicAdventure + Fink release! Of course - and I know I'll sound like a spoilt brat right now - here's hoping that this release indicates perhaps some more Elliot Goldenthal goodnesss in the future, hmm?

Most Complete Film Score Threads: [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

...no problem...
    at first I wasn't quite sure if I had downloaded the correct version...so I got ALL and voila!
    And thank you very much for bringing it to my attention, I simply didn't discover it. Careless of me.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GlassButterflies View Post
    Amazing! Always love to dig into a SonicAdventure + Fink release! Of course - and I know I'll sound like a spoilt brat right now - here's hoping that this release indicates perhaps some more Elliot Goldenthal goodnesss in the future, hmm?
    You aren't a spoiled brat. In fact, I'm working on two scores of his right now

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    For me, the sound really works like this, it s elegant, dark, cold but not too much. Thanks again Sonic.
    Well... it's a lot less cold than the first preview version I uploaded for you. It sounds just like the final version I gave you (for which I've restored warmth... frankly, my first was lacking).

"perfectly balanced" DAKoftheOTA's Avatar
    Well I’ll be damned, it’s on Netflix

Eat Well. Stay Fit. Die Anyway. GlassButterflies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicAdventure View Post
    You aren't a spoiled brat. In fact, I'm working on two scores of his right now [COLOR="Silver"]

Shriner
    can you share the sessions? Thank you very much for this.

Shriner
    Well, it's a romantic horror movie. One character is a pleasure seeking, fun-loving bisexual, the other a seemingly constantly depressed bisexual. Together, as a couple, they create a vampire child, played by a young Kirsten Dunst. Since she's a child, she doesn't grow up which creates problems. It's a liberal movie so I don't know if it's your cup of tea. On the other hand, all actors involved are very good, Tom Cruise's performance is a pleasant surprise considering the portrayal of Lestat in the books. I've read many of them and while I loved them 20 years ago I can't recommend them today as Anne Rice just isn't a very good writer. The movie is outright classy compared to the books. It looks good, camera work is good, editing is good, acting is even better, direction is confident. And it can still make me shiver with delight. Really, I get goosebumps the first time someone is bitten because it's exhilarating.
    Good description of the film which I totally agree, its not exactly the usual "horror movie" but that's exactly what makes it so special. I'm a big fan of the 5 first Anne Rice novels of her "Vampire Chronicles" and I was delighted with Neil Jordan's approach to the material. Pity how WB screwed up in the crappy sequel "Queen of the Damned" I hope the announced series based on the novels and written by Rice and her son Christopher would become a reality soon. I also LOVE those first bites with a strong stinger. Totally exhilarating

...no problem...
    Now fixed

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by genfer88 View Post
    can you share the sessions? Thank you very much for this.
    Sorry, I won't. They aren't mine to share.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wigoner View Post
    Good description of the film which I totally agree, its not exactly the usual "horror movie" but that's exactly what makes it so special. I'm a big fan of the 5 first Anne Rice novels of her "Vampire Chronicles" and I was delighted with Neil Jordan's approach to the material. Pity how WB screwed up in the crappy sequel "Queen of the Damned" I hope the announced series based on the novels and written by Rice and her son Christopher would become a reality soon. I also LOVE those first bites with a strong stinger. Totally exhilarating
    There might be a series? I didn't know.

Shriner
    Now fixed

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Sorry, I won't. They aren't mine to share.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

There might be a series? I didn't know.
    here's the info....[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Thanks!

Neg
    thanks so much, this was my no.1 holy grail that was not disney.
    so when it leaked i was thrilled and now to have a SA & F DE is fantastic to add to that list!

thank you!

Amazing effort! thank you.
    FLAC Looking for:

The Astronaut's Wife - George S. Clinton
    ManHunt - Taro Iwashiro
    RE:BORN - Kenji Kawai

Grand Shriner
    Thank you

Grand Shriner
    Thank you!