Thread: 2017 Game & Soundtrack Of The Year

2017 Game & Soundtrack Of The Year

Yet another year coming to a close soon, so it's about that time to find out what was your game & soundtrack of the year, and there were tons of new titles as well as the Switch that came out this year. Once again, for it to qualify, it has to be a title you first played/heard in 2017 and not any other before.

For me, it was a hell of a year as a few games with soundtracks were very close to each other. In fact, I'll list my top 3 for each:

Game of the Year

1st: Omega Quintet
    2nd: Sonic Mania
    3rd: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Soundtrack of the Year

1st: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
    2nd: Omega Quintet
    3rd: Sonic Mania

Needless to say, it was a big year for these 3 games. I can't imagine how close the runner-ups were. This is also the second year in a row which a Jake Kaufman soundtrack won Soundtrack of the Year with DuckTales Remastered being the third in 2014.

So, how about you guys?
    Last edited by aces4839; 07-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

My ultimate game soundtrack request: Master of Monsters: Disciples of Gaia (complete soundtrack) - Ongoing almost 20 years now, this was one of my favorite soundtracks growing up. If ANYONE can rip the entire soundtrack, which is about 30 tracks, I will be eternally grateful. Even though it would be a fleeting dream at this point...

Game of the Year :

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
    2. Cuphead
    3. Sonic Mania

Soundtrack of the Year

1. Graceful Explosion Machine - Robby Duguay
    2. Bleed 2 - Jukio "Kuabee" Kallio
    3. Cosmic Star Heroine - Hyperduck Soundworks
    4. Hand of Fate 2 - Jeff van Dyck
    5. Rakuen - Laura Shigihara

Interesting, dood.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by aces4839 View Post
    3rd: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Shantae was a great game and all but... game of the year? Over Super Mario Odyssey? Or Breath of the Wild? Or Cuphead? Or a game I really liked -- The Mummy Demastered?

This thread is for personal opinions only dood. If you got nothing to actually post, don't bother coming here. Please.

Onion Kid
    Hey there game music fans,

I did a soundtrack review on Super Mario Odyssey that I hope you will enjoy. Do check it out here:
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Survived the 『Hunt』 Leon Scott Kennedy's Avatar
    Honorable mention as game and soundtrack of the year to:

- RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard (January 2017)

A pleasant surprise for me, not a perfect biohazard, but definitely a small step in the right direction (after the crap started with RE4). If I had my way, I would have picked RESIDENT EVIL 2 for both "categories", 'cause nothing will ever top that.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | Discord: Cloud Strife#8440
    “May the good blood guide your way.”

Here's a list of my favorite games this year:
    Game:
    Yooka Laylee
    Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
    Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

OSTs:
    Yooka Laylee
    Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
    Shantae: Half Genie Hero
    Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon

I have not played Sonic Forces, Mario Odyssey or any of the other good games this year.
    "ANIME IS REAL!" - Undyne from Undertale

Wishlist:
    Sailor Moon DiC Music Collection
    Jungle Emperor Leo TV Series OST
    Bambi Complete Score

I couldn't name any "games of the year", particularly as most of this year's greatest & most interesting games from Snake Pass to Cuphead, Prey (Arkane's one) to Horizon: Zero Dawn, Hollow Knight to A Hat in Time, Gravity Dash 1 & 2 (Gravity Rush 1 & 2) to Ryu ga Gotoku 0's international release as Yakuza 0, Night in the Woods to Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice & more I have still yet to make quality time for (And we certainly got a barrage of 'em this year).

As for soundtracks, I might as well compile a list as I heard downright fantastic video game music all around. Nioh, Ryu ga Gotoku 0 & Kiwami (Yakuza 0 & Kiwami), Prey, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, STRAFE®, Destiny 2, Yooka-Laylee, zYnthetic's musical updates to Killing Floor 2 & many more! Kristofer Maddigan & Tee Lopes were particularly killing it with their music for Cuphead & Sonic Mania! Mick Gordon's [Hidden link. Register to see links.] for Prey was an awesome piece I still can't get enough of (And his music for Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus looks to be another sadly unsold masterwork of his). Martin O'Donnell created another signature piece; [Hidden link. Register to see links.] for his Echoes of the First Dreamer. Mario + Rabbids had a particularly humourous orchestral piece, and I haven't even begun to explore what Super Mario Odyssey has within. And I sure hope a release of the theme for [Hidden link. Register to see links.] does/will exist, because that visual spectacle was backed by one hell of a jam!

I'm just sitting here excited for what musical delights games such as Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown, Freedom Planet 2, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Golem and the many more coming our way could be bringing us, with yet many more old delights for me to discover & indulge in.
    Last edited by Bizargh; 12-15-2017 at 12:35 AM.

꧁Heart & mind unfolding꧂ franzito's Avatar
    HEEYYY guys!
    NieR Automata anyone? My 1st place for sure both game and music.
    Sonic Mania is hard to leave it on 2nd, but...
    3rd would be... I don't know just yet.
    フランジト

Check out my [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (good & rare stuff) : D

Shriner
    I honestly didn't play many games this year but Mario Odyssey is my pick for GOTY. Though as good as some of the music in that game is I would give the soundtrack award to Sonic Mania. Both are brilliant games.

Quote Originally Posted by franzito View Post
    NieR Automata anyone?
    Ooooh, have I heard that's something special, even as a soundtrack release! But having not yet played the game, I haven't delighted in it as of yet as I want to experience it when I do, not hear it before I do. Next year, I've gotta make some time for some gaming gems & treasures that raced past me!

It may be 2018 but feel free to still post if you haven't done so yet. This post is directed at all users.

Grand Shriner
    Little late to the party, but my goty is Nier Automata! An amazing game with even more amazing soundtrack!

professional sun praiser ROKUSHO's Avatar
    chrono cross. forever and ever.

but seriously, i dont think i bought a game released in 2017.
    but i think cuphead has a great ost when i played it at my neighbors house
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    many of my posts are paid for by the department of redundancy deparment's payment
    as of recently and for the rest of winter, expect many typos. my hands are freezing during the night
    #gamefaqssupportswomenbeaters

Other games for me that didn't quite make it but were fairly close include the following in no particular order:

Akiba's Beat
    Shantae: Risky's Revenge
    Shantae & The Pirate's Curse
    Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
    Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth

꧁Heart & mind unfolding꧂ franzito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKUSHO View Post
    chrono cross. forever and ever.
    My thoughts expressed!

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

I also didn't play anything pure-2017, mostly this year was about replaying old jewels and that's that.

I know it's a few months late but one more game that could've had a definite shot at both titles was Tokyo Xanadu eX+. This was a great I heavily enjoyed on multiple playthroughs although I've yet to platinum it. Calamity and Infinity difficulties are a huge pain to deal with. I didn't play it enough last year to really consider it an option for either choice, but what can ya do?