Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me play through the Final Fantasy franchise

Grand Shriner
    I just finished FF XII yesterday. It was much better than I remembered but felt a little rushed at the end. The updated graphics on the switch were very nice and the soundtrack is one of my favourites.

FF12 has probably my favorite soundtrack in the series, and I've never even played the game yet. Looking forward to that. Might be a few months yet before I get there though.

As long as you're having fun, that's what counts!
    Yes, I like Reno's character quite well. If you don't, that's your problem, not mine.

Today my journeys in Vana'diel came to an abrupt and final end. Upon encountering the level 50 cap Limit Break mechanic, I hit an impasse. Unlocking Limit Breaks felt slightly less enjoyable than watching paint dry. You literally have to grind countless mobs that yield zero experience points for three rare drops in order to turn exp gain back on, and you have to repeat this every five levels. Doing anything other than unlocking Limit Breaks lost its long-term meaning, because you are flushing countless experience points down the drain by choosing to progress the story without pausing to earn Limit Breaks first. I was left with two choices: invest an extraordinary amount of time into something I would never enjoy, or commit to ending my run through the game with a completion of the original launch content. The only classic mission left was to defeat the Shadow Lord. I opted for the latter, and canceled my renewal so that I would not forget before it auto-paid next week.

Well, turns out canceling your renewal in FFXI locks you out right then and there. When I tried to log back in after doing it, I received a notice that my account had been suspended despite that I had already paid Square-Enix to play the game through August 10th.

The ultimate consequence of all of this is that I essentially played FFXI up to the final dungeon of the game and then pulled the equivalent goof of accidentally erasing my save.

A fitting end to an endearing piece of MMO nostalgia that has failed on many levels to reshape itself into a playable product in the modern era.

The good news is FFXII comes next.

Yeah. out of interest, you playing the original for ps2 or the new zodiac job system one?
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Zodiac by force. Would have preferred the original experience, but it's not on Steam.

Also "playing" isn't quite the right word for it. I haven't seen the start menu yet. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    Zodiac by force. Would have preferred the original experience, but it's not on Steam.

Also "playing" isn't quite the right word for it. I haven't seen the start menu yet. :P
    Well it's good game. you'll enjoy it.

Yeah, looking forward to it especially since I'm already very familiar with the soundtrack. Just haven't had time lately.