Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me play through the Final Fantasy franchise

FF2 is actually Star Wars.

Conveniently, I always hated Star Wars.

(Also FF9 replay is officially in the books now.)

Wow the intro scene to FFX is whack. What did I just watch? I have zero memories of the plot of this game beyond that I thought the gameplay was really fun but teenage-me was too hung up on Tidus being a huge dork and (probably) a lack of a spoon-fed plot, if the intro is any indication, to really enjoy the story component. The voice acting is indeed horrible and that's evident out the gate, but that intro was awesome. I'm kind of excited, because I do have a lot of positive feelings associated with this game. I remember disliking both 8 and 10 on the whole, but I loathed 8. 10 simply failed to live up to my potentially highly unrealistic expectations. On replay of 8, I did find some enjoyable aspects, but I had to struggle and sort of sell myself on them. I have high hopes that the ride through 10 will be a lot more immediately positive. I wouldn't even say I'm "cautiously optimistic" here; I think I'm going to enjoy this game a lot. We'll see how that pans out over the next few weeks. I'm probably going to have to set it aside until next weekend after what I can get through now.

Also, FF9 closed out as super meh as I remembered, but I don't think that's a huge blemish on the game as a whole. It finished weak but it was still a great game. They screwed up one thing in the ending cut scenes though; everyone else has clearly aged a few years, but Eiko is still six!

Eiko clearly has dwarfism. I don't think I ever actually completed IX, because the plot just sort of forgot to happen at around disc 3. It's a pretty decent title, worth a replay if I get a spare minute, but I eventually just couldn't be arsed to dungeon-crawl the fourth or fifth plotless locale. I liked the game better before I had the airship, which is strange to say.

XII has a similar problem; roundabout halfway through, the so-called "lead" character is relegated as an extra and the soldier and the princess take center stage (don't recall either one's name). Good characters, but the pacing of the plot just starts spinning tires in the mud while you're dungeon-crawling one place after the next, each one feeling like a last-minute decision by the developers with little forethought.

IV does this too. Little bit faster pacing, and I do like the story, but it drags around halfway through. I'd be perfectly satisfied if they'd just cut some content if it kept the pacing more consistent, even if it meant a shorter game.

X, though it was hugely hyped, was a letdown for me as far as the voice-acting goes. Also tell me; what is the point in an option to rename your character in a voice-acted game? Just so that everyone else in the story can dance around ever having to address him by name? Aside from adding a high degree of unnecessary challenge for the writers, I found it entirely moot. In FFI, and even FFIII, it made a bit more sense; the characters are less personalities and more just avatars meant to inject you more into the experience yourself, so naming them helps personalise them, considering their skills and roles are then in your hands as well. But Tidus? Just let these people speak his name, for Christsake. X was a pretty ambitious game for its time, and packed some crazy tough boss fights, especially in the second half. I remember Yunalesca making me almost throw in the towel. That big scary ass Medusa head was top, I liked the design, but it grew maddening with each game over screen. No matter how big a letdown X may have been, at least remember it begins with the insane ruin of an entire city. Its sequel? Begins with a J-pop concert. Umwat

VIII simply needs a remake. That game did not age well. I cannot be arsed to sit through those long fadeouts every single time I leave the screen. The big "plot twist" was the most contrived bollocks I've ever seen, too. I don't understand so many people's fanboyism for Squall, either. Seventeen years old? GTFO of here. Nobody's that jaded at seventeen. Not a mote of youthful ambition to be found in his whole body. I know fortysomethings with years of hardship under their belt who could teach this little puff a lesson in how not to be the most depressing group leader of all time. The whole cast is about as likeable as Jersey Shore's. A teen girl named "Selphie"? Should have done one over and named Zell "Roidreige", Seifer "Alfameile", Squall "Eimough", etc. Laguna was fair, though; I actually looked forward to his segments. He didn't make me roll my eyes or facepalm nearly as much. I blame some of it on translation issues, but that can't always be an excuse. I don't know; suppose it's dependent on the player, but I just can't relate too well to these angsty dingbats.
    The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.