Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The 7th Annual Favourite Final Fantasy Character Knockout Game

Ultros' New Sidekick
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    Yikes

Over/under on getting a 2018 edition
    Quickly posting on here - I'm happy to go ahead with a 2018 edition of this game but the website has so much spam/adverts/potential malware or virus problems that I'm barely able to post, if the admins actually take control of the site I'm happy to post the game, if not, then I may have to retire it...
    "You don't need a reason to help people."

Check out my DJ shows! [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMercyside View Post
    Quickly posting on here - I'm happy to go ahead with a 2018 edition of this game but the website has so much spam/adverts/potential malware or virus problems that I'm barely able to post, if the admins actually take control of the site I'm happy to post the game, if not, then I may have to retire it...
    Wild timing.

Yeah I had similar issues with the music game. I nvited some people to come play here and they got flooded with spam. For some reason it seems to only be an issue for me when I'm logged out, but I hear ya.

If you're still interested in voting in the music game, I've got [Hidden link. Register to see links.] on another forum.

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    No, pls don't retire Johnny

In other news, might be too little too late now but I FINALLY started my goal to play through the entire series from start to finish. Probably going to be beating FF2 tonight. :)

In other news, might be too little too late now but I FINALLY started my goal to play through the entire series from start to finish. Probably going to be beating FF2 tonight.
    Good luck! I attempted this myself last year after seeing ProJared was planning on doing it. I played 1 all the way through, gave up on II and watched speed runs of II and III, played through IV, V, and VI, then gave up again after the cross-dressing fetch quest in VII. Keep us posted.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently 90s END CREDITS songs and FIRE LEVEL songs
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Leveling in II is a huuuuuuuge pain in the ass and you have to replace one of your characters with the equivalent of a level 1 dude right before the final dungeon. But I can't quit that far in. Played 1 and 2 on the Game Boy Advance SP, got an English translation ROM of the original NES FF3 lined up after this.

Something to Protect feralanima's Avatar
    Leveling in II is a huuuuuuuge pain in the ass and you have to replace one of your characters with the equivalent of a level 1 dude right before the final dungeon. But I can't quit that far in. Played 1 and 2 on the Game Boy Advance SP, got an English translation ROM of the original NES FF3 lined up after this.
    The leveling system is why I've never gotten far in FFII. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never beat that game.

What I did for leveling up quick(I played the ROM version btw, for all the games from 2-6), is once you get the Change spell or whatever it was that lets you swap stats with another character or monster is use it to swap stats with a low level monster and it'll boost your stats since you only get beefed up when you're low. Unfortunately it doesn't help with leveling up your spells, there's no way around that, but you can get the Aero spell early in the game if you go into the...was it forest or desert? above near where you start...will have to check a map, it's been so long, but one of the strong(to you at that point) magic users you fight will drop it if you beat them. That's the only thing I hated 'bout II(well, there were a few things, but that was the most annoying) was having to level up the spells. And the real FF3 is probably my second favorite in the whole series(after FFX).
    Yes, I like Reno's character quite well. If you don't, that's your problem, not mine.

Yeah I did the sap goblin trick on Leon to get him out of utter uselessness stage and then I just let the rest grind itself--MP caps pretty quickly and I'd get in fights against mobs that can't touch me, set two characters to dump spells on my party and two others to cure, come back in an hour, rinse and repeat 16 times. Not terribly time consuming in a hands-on sense but tedious as hell. That was on GBA. In hindsight I regret playing both 1 and 2 as NES ROMs because in the absence of retro appeal they were very lacking.

FF3 I emulated on NES and it was delightful. Really felt like the true FF prototype game to me moreso than 1 or 2. There was at least some semblance of personality to the characters (besides the actually playable ones haha); the influence on 4 and 5 was really obvious; the music kicked it up a notch; there was an actual challenge to the fights without being tedious; exploration seemed to hit that sweet spot between force-fed directions and ambiguous open space where you felt like you were going somewhere on your own but you never really had to stop and go "hmmm what do I need to do next". It was by far my favorite of the original 3.

Playing my way through 4 now (settled on the original SNES translation after reading a lot of comparisons between my options). 4-10 I played when they were released, so it's more of a nostalgia experience than a novelty, but I'm really pleasantly surprised to find 4 as good as I remembered it so far.

Oh the only thing I really loved 'bout 2(when I finally bought the Final Fantasy Origins set but still prefer the emulator because I can save/load at any time) was the FMV opening sequence...it was AWESOME!!! When Leon saves Maria by kicking some demon soldier ass, then starts to get ambushed and Frioniel(hated the names though) threw his dagger into the one demon solder's eye to save Leon and it turned to look at him and his other one hit it in the throat and knocked it down, that was the best fight scene I had seen in ages...of course that meant Frioniel was now faced with an demon army without any weapons which is pretty stupid, but hey, it was still cool!
    Last edited by Kalta79; Yesterday at 10:30 PM. Reason: Forgot something