Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: music that may NOT be posted for legal reasons. No Varese music and no threads for it

I think David Lynch has somehow tapped into Tango's subconscious.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets."

Onion Kid
    yeah! thnx!

Onion Kid
    Are we allowed to post out of print albums from the likes of Varese Sarabande, et al.?

Banned
    Nothing, oop or otherwise from Varese may be posted.

Quote Originally Posted by babydoll View Post
    Nothing, oop or otherwise from Varese may be posted.
    To the uninitiated oop means out-of-print.

Banned
    I'm surprised this isn't stickied, but maybe that's to prevent everyone from freaking out

47.95@71.928 tehƧP@ƦKly†ANK™ -Ⅲ¼'s Avatar
    We're going to get you. We're going to get you. Not another peep. Time to go to sleep.
    Check out my [Hidden link. Register to see links.]!
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

POST NO BILLS!

Bond Music Historian Anaximander's Avatar
    what does two steps from hell mean

Bakuretsu Hunter Chocolate Misu's Avatar

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by lyedecker View Post
    what does two steps from hell mean
    Or it means you're just two steps away from going to HELL!!!

Grand Shriner
    I may have missed this bit somewhere--

If Varese had a commercial release of a score, but someone posts an expanded/bootleg/complete version of it (whether it be from a source or isolated from the DVD), is that also not allowed? It's kind of ambiguous, since a lot of the expanded scores integrate the commercially released tracks seamlessly, while others separate them from the new tracks, some to the point of not even including them. So is the ban limited to just the commercial release album, or just the score in general (if it even included any bits from the commercial album)? Thanks.

Banned
    The ban covers any music associated with the release, I believe. If Varese licenses a score, they have the rights to it, whether or not they choose to release it. No dvd rip, or unreleased tracks can be posted, since varese still maintains the rights. They can license a score and not release any of it if they want since they hold the rights.
    Which sucks, but there it is. Now if someone else gets the rights and puts out the album, it's fair game. Like with the remastered terminator 2. The new album contains the exact same tracks as the varese, but since it is a different label.....

The absolute best way to decide would be to ask an admin about it before posting, I guess.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

It's not really so much murky, as depressing and frustrating. But the studios and labels can do what they want with "their" music. As an example of that. I point out the promo score fot Transformers Prime posted here. Brian Tyler? did the music. He had tracks up on his website. Hasbro which owns the show--and the music--made him take it down. There is no label licensed to produce an album, and there may never be, but the man who did the music in the first place cannot legally post it. Blech.

Grand Shriner
    Thanks for the succinct response, babydoll. I wasn't sure before, but reading your explanation for the licensing makes a little more sense, or perhaps "less" since it does make one scratch heads if the composer himself couldn't even post it. Sucks for all, since unreleased rarities will remain just that.

I assume that Water Tower Music can't be posted due to being part of Warner Bros?
    "I was busy pushing bodies around as you well know and what would a note say, Dan? "Cat dead, details later"?" - Herbert West

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Or it means you're just two steps away from going to HELL!!!
    oh, gotcha. thanx

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

The ban covers any music associated with the release, I believe. If Varese licenses a score, they have the rights to it, whether or not they choose to release it. No dvd rip, or unreleased tracks can be posted, since varese still maintains the rights. They can license a score and not release any of it if they want since they hold the rights.
    Which sucks, but there it is. Now if someone else gets the rights and puts out the album, it's fair game. Like with the remastered terminator 2. The new album contains the exact same tracks as the varese, but since it is a different label.....

The absolute best way to decide would be to ask an admin about it before posting, I guess.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

It's not really so much murky, as depressing and frustrating. But the studios and labels can do what they want with "their" music. As an example of that. I point out the promo score fot Transformers Prime posted here. Brian Tyler? did the music. He had tracks up on his website. Hasbro which owns the show--and the music--made him take it down. There is no label licensed to produce an album, and there may never be, but the man who did the music in the first place cannot legally post it. Blech.
    so then spiderman 3, which has never seen an official score release, is still technically off-limits? oh and what about all the bond scores? they're emi releases. is emi part of riaa?

Banned
    Ok. Well a mod will point you to the first post, which legally covers the out of bounds music. However, of the large to middle labels, I think only Varese Sarabande and FSM are on the banned list. Plus trailer companies like Two Steps From Hell, and a couple of individual composers. Of course, the Varese ban extends to any of their labels, even the ones they use to release overseas, like Volcano.

Quote Originally Posted by lyedecker View Post
    so then spiderman 3, which has never seen an official score release, is still technically off-limits?
    Since Spider-Man 3 have never been officially released by any label and much less by any of the banned labels, then you are ok to share it on the shrine.

oh and what about all the bond scores? they're emi releases. is emi part of riaa?
    Well technically it is illegal to upload/download music that is copyrighted, and EMI is represented by RIAA yes like all of the big music labels, but since the shrine allows you to (illicitly) share music, that ban only takes effect if you share mainstream music by RIAA, outside of the soundtracks, classical music and j-pop genres. Hence why you will never see for example Madonna albums posted on the shrine, but you can see the Spider-man score soundtracks released by Sony or the James Bond albums released by EMI.
    My music & soundtrack collection....still updating!!

"Music is both the cause and the effect of universal harmony" - Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Sanico View Post
    Since Spider-Man 3 have never been officially released by any label and much less by any of the banned labels, then you are ok to share it on the shrine.

Well technically it is illegal to upload/download music that is copyrighted, and EMI is represented by RIAA yes like all of the big music labels, but since the shrine allows you to (illicitly) share music, that ban only takes effect if you share mainstream music by RIAA, outside of the soundtracks, classical music and j-pop genres. Hence why you will never see for example Madonna albums posted on the shrine, but you can see the Spider-man score soundtracks released by Sony or the James Bond albums released by EMI.
    does anyone know what the labels' views are on fan-made expanded soundtracks?

Bartender to Iris & Panda burneggroll's Avatar
    Those who think "this is technically illegal", should get the hell out. And go back to school. Copyright means just that, it is my right to copy. And under Fair Use doctrines I have the right to share that freely. Infringement only occurs if the original rights owner is somehow intentionally damaged (by deprivation of value, theft of sales, impugning reputation, ect...). [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Once a rights owner distributes his product for free, that owner cannot prevent continued free sharing. Two Steps From Hell does offer free streaming music at their website. They do still have the right to ask you not to share that music. And you can put it back up again. This action has been upheld in higher courts worldwide more than once. Carefully note that legal defense costs are extremely expensive and have bankrupted more than one 'winner' (notably Veoh vs. Universal Music [Hidden link. Register to see links.]). Better to just roll over and let the big dogs fight. They don't want our free promotional efforts, fine... we'll devote our efforts to someone that loves music first.

BTW- The Grateful Dead encouraged tapers to come to their live concerts. They only had 2 rules; don't block anyone's view and bring your own extension cords. Today you can find 8,134 free "The Grateful Dead" shows at [Hidden link. Register to see links.] They gave away the music and still made millions of dollars. My heroes!

I am not a lawyer. Laws are different everywhere, do not rely on rumour, consult your local attorney.

All posts are for public interest purposes only. Commercial re-use is not authorized.

My Favorite Audios Checklist

Thumbs up Conduit of Information

Aother chapter from the history of Internet links sites...

12 Feb 2010 @ [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    TV-links.co.uk "the biggest and best links site on the internet" was shut down in October 2007 by FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) in the UK. Its server was also shut down by the Dutch authorities. In 2010, TV-Links.co.uk won the legal case, 3 years after being shut down.

12 Feb 2010 @ [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    UK Crown Court Judge Ticehurst ruled in detail that European Commerce Directive 2000: Section 17 indeed applied and afforded TV-Links, as a mere conduit of information, a complete defense to the criminal proceedings brought by FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) . The Judge also ruled that the allegations under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act failed because there was no evidence that TV-Links made available to the public the films and shows they linked to. There is no appeal available to FACT against this ruling.

18 Feb 2010 @ [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Most interesting about this case is that the Court held that linking can be seen as a form of ‘mere conduit’. The judge based his ruling on Section 17 of the 2002 Electronic Commerce Directive Regulations (the British implementation of the e-Commerce Directive (2000/31/EC), stating that if a site acts only as an indiscriminate conduit to content searched by users, it cannot be held liable.

Laws are different everywhere, laws change every day, consult your local attorney.
    The Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002
    * 2002 No. 2013
    * Regulation 17
    Mere conduit

17.—(1) Where an information society service is provided which consists of the transmission in a communication network of information provided by a recipient of the service or the provision of access to a communication network, the service provider (if he otherwise would) shall not be liable for damages or for any other pecuniary remedy or for any criminal sanction as a result of that transmission where the service provider—

(a)did not initiate the transmission;
    (b)did not select the receiver of the transmission; and
    (c)did not select or modify the information contained in the transmission.
    (2) The acts of transmission and of provision of access referred to in paragraph (1) include the automatic, intermediate and transient storage of the information transmitted where:
    (a)this takes place for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission in the communication network, and
    (b)the information is not stored for any period longer than is reasonably necessary for the transmission.
    ~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session."

~Judge Gideon J. Tucker in "Final Accounting in the Estate of A. B." (1866).
    Often mistakenly attributed to Mark Twain,who was quite fond of the aphorism and used it freely.
    Addendum:
    29 May 2011 @ [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    The links site fastpasstv owner has been arrested in Londonderry, Ireland. £83,000 and computer equipment were seized following an investigation into Internet piracy by the Hollywood-funded Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT). The owner was released on bail and, to date. no charges have been filed. The site immediately resurrected itself.
    Statement from fastpasstv owner(s): Dear users, recently we have had our worst days in the site's history where we seen our domain and servers taken by the authotirities. We have managed to recover the site from our back ups though it might be that some data is still missing, we are however pleased to announce that we managed to recover most of the movies and the tv shows links. We have relaunched the site back on [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and are back up and running in full glory! we will do everything in our power to remain online so that we can provide you with the best and fastest videos online!
    Noted: A private organization established in 1983, [Hidden link. Register to see links.] has never won a trial case against a free links site. Not even when they participated with police in interrogations and evidence seizures (see: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. How and why did they get such abusive powers? Lawful actions can still result in government harassment. Get out and vote. Don't let big corporations abrogate your rights through government intimidation.

Grand Shriner
    ^ Thank you very much !

Cool

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------It's not really so much murky, as depressing and frustrating. But the studios and labels can do what they want with "their" music. As an example of that. I point out the promo score fot Transformers Prime posted here. Brian Tyler? did the music. He had tracks up on his website. Hasbro which owns the show--and the music--made him take it down. There is no label licensed to produce an album, and there may never be, but the man who did the music in the first place cannot legally post it. Blech.
    If you think it is not 'murky', you haven't visited the U.S. Copyright Office website;
    - Fair Use - The distinction between fair use and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may ...
    more: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    You are right, it is mostly depressing and frustrating. So sad. RE: Composer Brian Tyler. He can not sell his rights and still keep them... except under the Fair Use doctrine*. Legally he can still post it, and legally Hasbro can have him to take it down. BTW - he put it up again @ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (or at least part of it is up).

*see: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Game Music Geek
    I honestly think if people don't want their music downloaded then they don't want business. Everyone knows that if anything piracy help these companies. It gets the name of their company and software out there. Some people release stuff through "illegal" sites on purpose just so people will hear about them knowing some will actually buy their music.

Me personally? I download Game music only because usually you can't find it on a actual CD. I do download "other" music just to see if it is good or not. If its good I buy that particular song on Itunes. There are previews on Itunes and stuff but sometimes the previews can be misleading. >.<

Red face From the history of music piracy...

There have always been pirates... before we were pirates... grandpa was a pirate...

Dateline - UK 1964. Unions say records will put musicians out of work. Licensed radio only does live shows. Pop music doesn't get a play.

And then came Radio Caroline, pirate radio is born.

When Pirates Ruled The Airwaves is a great historical telling of how pop music got to the UK masses. Bill Nighy tells the story of how a group of mavericks made radio what it is today and in the process changed the entire landscape of British radio. It's a tale involving glamour, tragedy and political struggle - and all set to a soundtrack of the best music of the era.
    Spoiler!

Today, Radio Caroline can be heard on Sky Radio Channel 0199 and via [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

wow thanks burn