Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: music that may NOT be posted for legal reasons. No Varese music and no threads for it

for megadrivers custom
    Thank you for the piercing accuracy Mr. Wright. And on that note, aren't we all Living in the City?

J. Peterman
    Mr. Newbie yes we are!

It is because nothing in this world comes for free.

Grand Shriner
    There is one rule in life that always rings ever-so-true: Don't be an ass.

I always say, if you bought the game in the first place, you have every right to get the music free, since it's in the game anyways.

Of course sometimes they go out of their way to include extra arrange tracks or something... bu I dunno that's a personal moral call everyone has to decide on.

However I'd be perfectly happy with paying a normal price for a game soundtrack, but we all know that once it gets to America there's all sorts of import charges that rape you.

It's largely not our fault, some of these albums are so frustratingly hard to track down, why should we feel bad when we at least TRIED to get the legit thing?

Anyway I'm new here. I've always browsed through this site every so often, but never understood what it was all about. But I see a whole bunch of intelligent people that just want to share their love for VGM. And I can totally appreciate and relate to that.

I like your opinion and it makes total sense. I've tried getting a good number of OST's only to learn that I'd have to pay over double, sometimes triple the normal retail amount just to get them. Most of the OST's I own are from the game I have, and I can rip most of it myself off the game, but prefer the Cd's. Problem is that in court, no one would give a damn, and thus rip us a new hole in both or geeky behinds, and our wallets.

Just be glad we are often the most ignored legal infringement group, because we aren't criminals, just music lovers of anime and games and material not easy to come by. It's much more different then actual movie and videogame piracy which costs billions to the companies. At most we only cut into a few thousand bucks worth of music overall. We barely hit even a fraction of a percentage of the music market. So long as we avoid posting music of people who aware of us and don't want us to such as Yngwie Malmsteen and other big name artists, then they'll turn a blind eye.
    What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets!

P.S.I.entology zealot Kreachure's Avatar
    Sarah (and others who might care):

You might want to take a look at this post on a recent "Video Games Live: Vol 1" thread:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Straight from the horse's mouth, if I may say so.

i dont see the point.
    musicians get paid regardless when the game was made. people buy the games anyway so they all get their royalties through that.

downloading mp3 from a game doesnt influence or effect the sale of a game. i dont see how this bothers muscians other than their ego. this is completely different from downloading an album by a band cause that does effect their sales.

this goes the same with movies. if you d/l superman soundtrack it doesnt hurt john williams. he was paid $ millions by the movie studio to make it and also recieves royalties everytime its played on radio, tv, and other medias. when you buy the dvd, in part you own that property. so is there a harm in downloading the soundtrack no?

i see jack walls point on the vgl album. thats a live album effort based on non original music. him and tommy wont recieve royalties cause the music was by other people. however for another example, mass effect by the same guy isnt an issue. i own the 360 game. so whats the point in buying the ost? the guy got paid and his money from the game developer as well my game purchase.

discuss.

professional sun praiser ROKUSHO's Avatar
    one question, WHAT THE HELL IS TWO STEPS FROM HELL? /CRUISE CONTROL
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    many of my posts are paid for by the department of redundancy deparment's payment
    as of recently and for the rest of winter, expect many typos. my hands are freezing during the night
    #gamefaqssupportswomenbeaters

Old School like the Old Skool StarMan_DeeLux's Avatar
    So that's when VGL Vol. 1 is coming out. I recently went to my first VGL and must own that.

I wouldn't download that for the same reason I won't pirate small time bands I like that much and the like. I want them to receive the sales so they will want to make another album. In fact...now that I just realized the Tron, Halo, and Castlevania Rock suites are on there...*clicks preorder* Take that, Jack Wall. I just preordered it. Wait, no, that's a good thing.

Everybody is just out for money, no matter the excuse. It's all obviously for money. We have yet to hear a explaination on what we are doing is "damaging" to them, that's all I'm curious about. What are we damaging? They never explain that, all they do is remind us about what rules we're breaking, but never do they specify what's damaged. A bunch of BS, I say.

I don't think it matters much about Video Game or Movie/TV Show OSTs compared to music albums. If this site was hosting a huge library of albums from all sorts of artists, available to download for free, then it'd be a whole different field. I don't think we should worry too too much about the matter, besides, the only corporations getting upset over these kind of things, are the people running the file-sharing sites. That's it.

To tell you the truth, this is haven, just how often do you see video game music soundtracks up for sale at a local CD store? Not many or not at all, you can only find them online or with stores that is 100% made for gamers. I think we shouldn't be nailed for finding another way to get the impossibles, we're all not rich either.

Onion Kid
    Evidently, The Dark Knight is two steps from hell.

Grand Shriner
    This market is starved, and if they don't want to cater to it, it finds other ways. That being said I do buy albums, albeit at a slow pace.

Talking complicated reason

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    it was related to it but it wasn't the only reason. kind of complicated.

a kind of complicated reason huh?.
    I see ... u will be married soon ... hmm ... GOD BLESS U

so what else?
    • There are still exists manga comic (with translated) website
    • There are still exists manga movie website (mpeg1 size until dvd version download)
    • There are still exists Videoclip (which contain audio+video) and some files are high quality

There will be exists "ffshrine.org" in future

btw: don't forget to invite me when "the day of complicated reason" comes
    ______

______

Quote Originally Posted by drakerafe View Post
    [...]
    ...what?

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Music once was supposed to be for everyone's joy.
    Now it's only existing for creating profite for those people who have enough anyway. And anyone who doesn't accept this and "steals" music by downloading it turns into a bad person, a pirate...

The world turns into a worse place every day.
    Never have I seen so much win and reality on ONE post.

Onion Kid
    Actually, I never think about illegal such thing.
    We love music, it doesn't matter if you don't want people upload or download the music. But as long as you don't have a proof that your song is originally yours, you cannot shut down this forum or talk about illegal things.
    In my country, people are free to upload their song and let other people to download it as long as the song has bought before. Once we bought something, we have the right to do with our item, isn't it?
    SO, as long as we love music, why not share it to other people???
    Don't thing about illegal such thing...
    This world is free for us, isn't it?

One more thing:
    Help me by click this and register with recommendation from 102731,ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Synch View Post
    Actually, I never think about illegal such thing.
    We love music, it doesn't matter if you don't want people upload or download the music. But as long as you don't have a proof that your song is originally yours, you cannot shut down this forum or talk about illegal things.
    In my country, people are free to upload their song and let other people to download it as long as the song has bought before. Once we bought something, we have the right to do with our item, isn't it?
    SO, as long as we love music, why not share it to other people???
    Don't thing about illegal such thing...
    This world is free for us, isn't it?
    People are free to share music in your country once it's been bought because your country doesn't enforce restrictions on the ownership of intellectual property.

When people argue against piracy or the sharing of music and movies, they often try to draw a very simple analog between downloading a movie or song and physically stealing a copy of the album or movie. Your country's laws essentially follow the same line of reasoning - you buy a box of candy, what's wrong with dolling it out to your friends? You buy a game, who cares if you lend it around amongst your social circle? And in your case, you buy some music or videos, what's the big deal if you share?

The facts are, in the US and other countries, the concept of video and music purchase is very alien and completely unknown even to most people who buy their media! When you purchase a movie or song in the US, you're really not so much legally buying a physical copy of your media to do with what you wish; you're buying, for lack of a better term, a license to access the IP holder's material through some arbitrary medium (DVD, CD, Blu-Ray, whatever digitally protected music format you downloaded online from a music store). Although not bound by a contract you sign at the video store, you're definitely legally coerced to obey this contract you probably never gave much mind to. You've all seen the obnoxious five second "COPYING IS PROHIBITED" warnings that litter the previews of a commercial DVD, and these policies largely apply to music CDs as well.

Is it illegal to pirate this stuff? Absolutely. Is it just to do so, for any reason? No. The material has been commercially released under a very specific set of codified laws and contract. Your personal stance on whether or not music or data should be free is completely irrelevent to the law in the countries where I'm guessing most of us posters reside. If you live in an outlier country like Synch does, where there really are no legal ramifications - enjoy yourself while you can, because countries that reject the restrictions and responsibilities that come with a worldwide digital age are going to find themselves on the butt end of multiple embargoes on digital media by the end of the 21st century. Not even a thriving bootleg market will be able to completely remedy that.

The fact is, somebody laboured to create something and released their work under a license that they expect to have followed. As an artist, that is their right. Trying to pretend we have some intrinsic right to enjoy an artist's work regardless of his terms is a blatant insult to the artist.

I feel we should lose the hippie attitude and face the facts: we're not practicing some "fundamental right to joy" that trumps the code of law, we're downloading and sharing some awesome game soundtracks. All we can do is enjoy the fact that very few companies bother defending their game music IP. I am sure there are many aficionados among us who will go the distance and buy some of our game music, and I am sure that there are even some of us who will enjoy a randomly pirated soundtrack so much that we'll go buy the real deal, if just to support the artist - so maybe some iota of good will can creep from our blatant piracy. But whatever, I have a ridiculous amount of OSTs I grabbed here, and I doubt we'll ever see any ffshrine posters take the stand to be sued for millions, so let's just keep up the good (bad) stuff while we have the chance.

Don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy draconian laws in the least, and by my own confession, I am a massive user of this site (even contributor, occasionally) - I just feel we shouldn't disillusion ourselves about the nature of what exactly we're doing. You know what? You're [most of us, that is] committing crimes, however inoffensive they might be, and while nobody thinks you're personally robbing the artist blind (because let's face it, as other posters have already pointed out, it can be absolutely impossible to find some of these OSTs) or throwing a metaphorical brick through their window, you're still committing a crime. So am I, very regularly. Stop pretending we aren't basically just criminals here and go with the flow. When this good thing ends for us, it ends. Again, enjoy while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty07 View Post
    Everybody is just out for money, no matter the excuse. It's all obviously for money. We have yet to hear a explaination on what we are doing is "damaging" to them, that's all I'm curious about. What are we damaging? They never explain that, all they do is remind us about what rules we're breaking, but never do they specify what's damaged. A bunch of BS, I say.

I don't think it matters much about Video Game or Movie/TV Show OSTs compared to music albums. If this site was hosting a huge library of albums from all sorts of artists, available to download for free, then it'd be a whole different field. I don't think we should worry too too much about the matter, besides, the only corporations getting upset over these kind of things, are the people running the file-sharing sites. That's it.

To tell you the truth, this is haven, just how often do you see video game music soundtracks up for sale at a local CD store? Not many or not at all, you can only find them online or with stores that is 100% made for gamers. I think we shouldn't be nailed for finding another way to get the impossibles, we're all not rich either.
    I don't mean to quote an old post, but I agree with this statement 100%, especially the last paragraph. You can't even find domestic VGM albums at any record stores. It's rediculous. And I don't remember ever seeing one single commercial on TV advertising a video game soundtrack. EVER. lol

Online is a blessing for us VGM listeners.
    My personal VGM CD rips thread >> [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    SEGA Saturn Redbook Audio Collection thread >> [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

wait, by saying that your are basically flipping the bird at everyone who worked to make that music you love.

There are the editors to the music, the label designers, the manufacturers, the artists, and not to mention the more elaborate the music, the more expensive to produce.

Do you think orchestrated music we all love in our movies and videogames come cheap? Or how about guys like Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Via? Bands like Nightwish and Sum41, they have to use good quality instruments and speakers for the sound they have. A good guitar can cost thousands, real life size organ pipes cost millions, quality drums, keyboards, speakers that cost insane amounts...

Do I even have to explain how much it costs to own a studio, run it, or simply rent any of that?

Look, I don't like the music industry all that much in the US. Yet, if we were to simply by one CD, then cause a chain reaction in which millions of unbought copies of the MP3's are circulated on the net, then you can easily cause a huge number problems to the artist(s) who put effort into the track. I only agree with the downloads on this site because most of them are niche hard to find titles in the US, and the ones I do or can come across I make the effort to buy. But don't think that just because we foreign music, that aren't still doing the same thing, because in the end, the money we could of spent on that artist could of fueled further works we could of enjoyed.

Hi all

It's impossible to download the third music of Bermuda Syndrome, a beautiful 1995's game ....[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Name of the music: 03 - torkiin's last secret.mp3

Thanks, i will be happy and recognize if anybody could solve the problem!!!

One thing I never understood is why the artists/groups/record companies can't reprint their OOP/Hard to Find albums for those who're demanding them and have to resort to downloading them on the net (instead of paying a rediculous price for it). Is it really that hard to do it, or are they just being lazy and/or tight asses, I wonder? Makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShmupFighter View Post
    One thing I never understood is why the artists/groups/record companies can't reprint their OOP/Hard to Find albums for those who're demanding them and have to resort to downloading them on the net (instead of paying a rediculous price for it). Is it really that hard to do it, or are they just being lazy and/or tight asses, I wonder? Makes no sense to me.
    My guess would be permission issues. Perhaps some new company brought out the copyright, or the old one expired and they can't seem to get the courts to sell it back to them. 'cause frankly some really old stuff is still in legal battles over ownership; and the original creator/composer may not get that much say in the matter.

Because there are other musicians, directors, big-time lawyers, companies like Disney, and all kinds of cretins trying to get their hands on it; and until the courts sell it over to whomever they seem to think deserves the rights to it... most of those copyrights are in limbo... which means they can't release or perhaps even make a remastered rendition.

Though maybe this isn't true for people who make the music digitally through some program... where as the music almost solely belongs to them.
    My Purchase list:
    My CDs:

Quote Originally Posted by lysdor View Post
    Hi all

It's impossible to download the third music of Bermuda Syndrome, a beautiful 1995's game ....[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Name of the music: 03 - torkiin's last secret.mp3

Thanks, i will be happy and recognize if anybody could solve the problem!!!
    Why do people have to be ignorant, stupid and moronic? I just can't understand it. -.-"

I agree with the idea that if you own a game, you already own the music contained within. For example, take a Tekken game, or Street Fighter III: Third Strike. They have a "music player" option in the game, with a picture of the album cover, and you play the tracks. You already purchased the music.

Another thing I look at is this: game soundtracks simply do not come out in American stores. It's not as though you can go to Target and buy the soundtrack to a PS2 game from 8 years ago that you liked. And if a particular soundtrack was available in Japan 8 years ago, and went out of print...there's no money to be made on it. Is someone actually losing money if I download the soundtrack to "Evergrace"? Does anyone even remember that damn game? No and no! (Great music, btw...)

Cat Detective & Misanthrope HG Montgomery's Avatar
    music's now like painting in a way isn't it? e.g. when you paint something it becomes a fragile b u t t e r f l y-like thing only kept alive by reproduction and no-one thinks to charge you for merely looking at it. i see it as technology catching up too fast for the music companies to keep up with, and largely a good thing - i'm always gonna buy albums for the artwork & lyric sheet, i'm always gonna go to shows & buy merch.... if anything it's made me more of a discerning consumer, and more of a supporter of the bands with nothing. i'd rather order a CD off some guy on myspace who makes songs in his bedroom than wander into a record shop and buy the least awful thing i can find. seriously, if record shops bothered to cater for the underground more then i would buy tonnes more CDs too. i'm just sick of my favourite bands not even getting within smelling distance of these big record chains. in fact increasingly more and more of my favourite acts are either unsigned or almost completely unheard of - and thats thanks to the internet.

i went off on a tangent there i realise. anyway what i really wanted to say was that all the music i've seen up for download so far is videogame music, and that's rare as fuck.... i dunno about the US but i dont think any of these videogame OSTs even come out in england. if something isn't released for sale in england as it's not considered 'profitable' then surely they won't mind me downloading it. it's not like they're losing money cause i would never have got to buy it in the first place. plus in 99% of these cases whoever downloaded the soundtrack has already spent a large wad of cash on the game itself (and dont tell me games arent overpriced). i'm also guessing that these OSTs (i know a lot of the stuff on here is actual game rips rather than rips of the CD versions of the OSTs anyway) are a pretty limited run. i can't imagine them pressing thousands of copies of the soundtracks to some of the games mentioned here... thus if they're limited edition, again the companies wouldn't be losing money if we downloaded them, as we most likely wouldnt have the chance to buy the soundtracks anyway - particuarly since loads of them are from when we little kids marvelling over 80s megaman or whatever. i think downloading is bad when you rip someone off - but the way i see it, no-one whatsoever is getting ripped off here. these composers have already been paid to do their job, i doubt their major source of income is based on the number of soundtracks sold, more likely the number of games. if i downloaded an album by some struggling band on the breadline and then never bought any of their music, never went to any of the shows and never bought any merch, then i would be totally in the wrong. however, if i download one limited edition game soundtrack that probably never came out in my own country and whom's makers are already rolling in cash, i don't see how i've done anything wrong... lets just hope other people think like this too. long live this forum, i say.

EDIT - i can't say *********? b u t t e r f l y ? ? ? ? thats weird