Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Official Shrine Grinch TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
    Yeah, it's a fun parallel to think about. If only Nintendo had adopted something like that instead of their half-assed garbage explanation.

BTW, what do y'all think about the voice acting? I hope you can toggle a mute option...

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    IDK...maybe I'm the wrong audience at this point?

The Switch has officially become a 'wait till BF 2018' deal.

I WAS so excited for it but between the nutty cost of the controllers (and other peripherals) to the nonexistent on-board memory (seriously...Mirco-SD? In the age of 50GB games?) to a paid internet service that (Given Nintendo's history) will be lackluster AT BEST.

Plus, only like THREE NEW games worth buying in the first year?

Yeah...GG Nintendo.

WiiU was the first Nintendo system I didn't care about and skipped...
    -I STILL have a Virtual Boy in a box, somewhere. XD

The Switch will be the second, unless there's a hell of a good deal, or support, in a year or two on the system.
    :|

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Banned
    Lmao, this is sad. Okay I'm gonna be real mad if I NEED to buy the fucking accesories to play correctly, that's horrible.

Reggie on how it's a good thing that the Switch doesn't have any games bundled:

"The first decision that we make is, where do we want to be in terms of the hardware price point that's going to be approachable and hit the marketplace we want? And from a US price point, we wanted to be at $299," he said. "Certainly, lower is always better, but at a $349 or $399 price point, we just didn't feel that was the right place to be. So we start there. And then it's all about, what's going to be included? Obviously the inclusion of the two Joy-Con, critically important; all the right cables, the dock, critically important. We also have to do this from a financial perspective as well. Once we got to that bundle, it really needed to be at $299 without a piece of software."

Really? Are you surreeeee you couldn't have snuck '1-2 Switch' into there, Reggie?
    I get that they've got to make money on this thing, but hot damn... they're really skimping out on us this time around. And I understand that you get what you par for, but there's also got to be incentive.

Banned
    That's a big load of bullshit.. you STILL need to pay for a game after the console, which is 50 dollars, so it's like if you were buying the console for 350 instead of 299. What's the difference? It's just more convenient to add it to the same package!

But don't worry. There'll be bundles in Holiday 2017, you bet.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar

Bring on the Nintendo Switch memes. My body is still ready.
    #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Yellow Diamond's Pearl HunterTech's Avatar
    I love how this thread had turned into the Zelda Timeline debacle for a few posts, and now memes. Can't miss the internet without it.

My reaction to the Switch: Probably will buy next year. Maybe even later, since I haven't really given the Wii U the time it actually needed to play games. I simply only ever used it for internet browsing (back when I didn't have a proper tablet), which is rather unfortunate, due to the fact the thing was made primarily for gaming. Thus, I already know that I won't be able to quite use the Switch like I ideally would, based off my experiences with the Wii U. Thus, I'll just use the time waiting for my Switch to actually do some gaming that I haven't in a while with the Wii U. Simple as that.

My reaction to the heavily priced accessories: Considering how these consoles are only ever for me (a spoiled brat I am), I don't think any of these are necessary really, at least to me. The Wii U should be good enough for multiplayer, so I'm fine.

My reaction to most of the games: Eh. I doubt I'll play most of them, but at least they should be good to those that are interested in them.

My reaction to Super Mario Odyssey: Awesome. Can't wait to play it when I get the darn console.

My reaction to Breath of the Wild: Holy smokes! This will probably be the game that gets me back in the mood for more. I loved Skyward Sword, so this will be a treat.

My reaction to the timeline: Meh. I always play these games as various solo adventures, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Banned
    Skyward Sword needs a proper good HD remaster so hard. The Wii's 480i hurts so much the game's beautiful art style.

It'll never happen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
    It'll never happen.
    Why?

Because the game is built around the Wii controller! You would have to literally re-build the game's code from the ground up in order for there to be an "HD remaster" so that it could be forced to be based on an entirely new control scheme.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
    Because the game is built around the Wii controller! You would have to literally re-build the game's code from the ground up in order for there to be an "HD remaster" so that it could be forced to be based on an entirely new control scheme.
    So was Twilight Princess yet they changed it to the Gamepad. I'm sure they'd find a way. And it'll come.. sooner or later. Nintendo loves rehashing.

All they had to do for TP was remap the GCN buttons to a Gamepad and change the menu mechanics. Same for Wind Waker. The entirety of SS is built around motion controls. Minigames, puzzles, dungeons, swimming, bombs, fucking everything.

That's such a damn shame. Because Skyward Sword would benefit so very well from HD display.

They could make it work on the Switch since the Joy-Cons are clearly motion-based too, but considering the game's young age I would be shocked if they tried to pull that on us. By the time the Switch's life is over, I think Nintendo will try to dial down their gimmicky controllers and just return to the standard.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

I don't even know if the Switch controller has enough buttons for SS...

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CLONEMASTER 6.53 View Post
    That's such a damn shame. Because Skyward Sword would benefit so very well from HD display.
    Yeah, something definitely got lost in translation when the game went from the top-of-the-line testing hardware at Nintendo HQ to the Wii itself. Check out a Dolphin Emulator video and it becomes so much clearer what Aonuma et al. were going for with the style, with the background blending like a sort of watercolor painting. When you put that on a 480p display it just looks like a blurry mess.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

"The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch"

┐┐┐HUH???

Does this mean only these three countries get premium online at launch? Like, the Japanese can't play Spla2n immediately?
    Or does it mean that only these three have the OPTION to start paying sooner, and other countries have to wait for their 1-month free trial to be over?

Banned
    You're looking at the US page, that's why they're saying that, because the page is meant to be looked at just by the people at the US.

Timeline in Zelda is a stupid thing. Let the fans debate, dream and enjoy wondering about that. The minute Nintendo had to put their version, we all knew they were going to fuck it up, because you can't make everyone happy. And now it shows.

Zelda is a great game, but we already knew that. And yay, debut game. That you'll also get on the (deceased) WiiU, so what's the deal anyway? If you get a touch inventory in the WiiU version that would be swell.

The price, the lack of anything significant, the battery life, the tiny controls... It's everything I expected and less so. This is a Super DS, which is good for the ones who love their 3DS (which NOW it's doomed). As a console, it's underwhelming and really, really hope they pull a Wii and not another WiiU.

The games... Nintendo games I no longer am interested in (niche), JRPGs (niche), ports and some things that *might* be interesting.

Hope they got an ace up in their sleeves.
    [Insert a poignant, intelligent signature here.]

Banned
    Nintendo has said this is NOT a handheld console and won't end Nintendo 3DS.

But it's clear they're trying to homogenize handheld and normal TV consoles, and I HATE that. I was against OoT 3D, I was against DKC 3D, and I was against Gameboy games on the Wii U because they all try to force into your head the idea that handheld and TV games can and should be interchangeable. And they shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
    Nintendo has said this is NOT a handheld console and won't end Nintendo 3DS.
    If it walks like a duck...

Banned
    Honestly, I've made up my mind. I've been going up and down about the Switch. In my opinion, the worst thing about the Switch is how they have abused the prices. But eh.. I'll have to deal with it. But the games, which is what matters and Nintendo bests at, looks promising, and much more to come around the rest of the year, and beyond. In Christmas, we should have a strong lineup of games to decide, and to gift the console.

See Breath of the Wild in action, in the handheld mode: