Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

If it does go well or doesn't, I still have it's beliefs on how it can be.

Bella Notte Lover PonyoBellanote's Avatar
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Wishlist:
    - Alpha and Omega RS or CS (Chris Bacon)
    - Dragonheart RS or CS (Randy Edelman)
    - Star Fox Assault RS or CS (Yoshie Arakawa and Yoshinori Kawamoto)
    - Snow Buddies RS or CS (Brahm Wenger)
    - Zootopia RS or CS (Michael Giacchino)

RS = Recording Sessions
    CS = Complete Score

So, I just come from watching the whole presentation... and by God, my cock's harder than a fucking Transformer arm.

There were a lot of awesomeness in that presentation but GOD the Zelda trailer gave me MAJOR goosebumps.

Official Shrine Grinch TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
    I'm looking forward very much to the new Zelda!!
    Especially interested in seeing where it takes place in the timeline!!

Not interested in the voice acting though... blech

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Is this a Link we've seen before?
    Is this a Zelda we've seen before?
    Or just more reincarnations?
    Only two months until we find out!

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

I'll tell you what doesn't look appealing... Super Mario Odyssey.
    It's doesn't even look like a platformer.

Do you ever like changes? Odissey is pretty cool. It's a open-world platformer, a sandbox. Has all that peope liked about 3D Mario, but enhanced.

Did anyone see Diddy and Dixie name-dropped at the very beginning of the Super Mario trailer?
    I thought that was pretty cute.

As I understand it, the Switch doesn't play Wii games. If that's still true, it's a poor decision. The Switch doesn't appear to have a deep opening lineup of games, Zelda can't carry all of Nintendo's water, so it loses a huge inventory of popular games and, let's face it, no one played the Wii because of its incredible graphics. People played it because it was fun and easy to use. (Hell, the Queen Mum used the Wii. Not playing Resident Evil, that would have been very cool, but Wii bowling.)

Nintendo doesn't seem to be playing to its strengths but rather its weaknesses.

Additional Dock : $90

Single Joycon/Combo : $49.99/$79.99

Pro Controller : $69.99

Location of fucking Sides : In Orbit

Yeah, that sucks, and so does paying for online gaming and prolly not offering the same "quality" as the other consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Killgrave View Post
    As I understand it, the Switch doesn't play Wii games.
    Indeed, no backwards-compatibility. Nintendo is going cartridge-based again - no disc drive this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRay View Post
    Additional Dock : $90

Single Joycon/Combo : $49.99/$79.99

Pro Controller : $69.99

Location of fucking Sides : In Orbit
    Yeah, those price tags are insane. I guess a consumer who thought that he'd gotten his money's worth for the Wii U would be happy to splurge on all these Switch accessories, but not me.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
    Yeah, that sucks, and so does paying for online gaming and prolly not offering the same "quality" as the other consoles.
    Online play is the devil. A money-sucking devil.

Just finished watching the presentation in toto. Random thoughts:

The NX:

Paying for online: fuck you. I didn't have to do it before, why should I start now? What's different this time around? Why should you even need to pay for online in the first place? Is my $60 copy of Splatoon 2 going to be worthless unless I'm also paying for online too? Christ.

Region-locking is nonexistent: thank God, about time.

The Switch controller: while playing on TV ("TV Mode"), the controller looks like a piece of shit. You have buttons on the extreme left and right and fuck-all in the middle. In addition, it just looks so cramped. Uh... surely there was a smarter way to design this? I can never imagine myself playing any other way, so if I were to get a Switch, "TV Mode" looks like it will be a burden on my hands. There's a Pro Controller that's actually usable, but as ManRay pointed out... that price tag is reprehensible.

Battery life: Up to 6 hours. Very impressive.

Capture button: Cute idea!

Motion capture camera and HD rumbles: Kickass and leaves no small amount of potential for experimental gameplay possibilities.

GAMES:

1-2 SWITCH: This looks fun for about 15 minutes. But as it appears to just be largely experimental, so I can forgive it.
    ARMS: Another experimental game, and one I think will not be received very well. It'll be way too easy - especially for children - to just completely fuck up on account of the sensitive motion controls. Both this game and the former seem like demo shit, stuff that should be pre-installed. Both seem very shallow and only serve to help users understand the Joy-Con's functionalities... can't wait to see what the prices are.
    SPLATOON 2: With the original Splatoon, Nintendo finally managed to make a popular new IP that didn't have anything to do with Mario, so a sequel is reasonable. Never played it though, so I can't be excited for this one in any way.
    SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY: The Mario franchise has never felt more mundane. This time the titular plumber goes to the big city... and meets real humans... yuck. The platforming seems to have been dialed down a notch, though maybe they chose bad spots of the game to showcase.
    XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2: No comment. Hilarious voice acting and dialogue though.
    FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS: Hyrule Warriors was a lot of fun, so I hope Nintendo has similar success in this game.
    BREATH OF THE WILD: Finally. FINALLY. After multiple hair-pulling delays, one of Nintendo's biggest golden gooses returns. Great introduction too - a funny skit with Reggie, Miyamoto, AND Aonuma!

Oh, and of course Europe gets the better Zelda box art.

My hype for the Switch has gone from "where do I have to sign to sell my soul" levels to "fuck you and your whole family" now. Not to mention how they're being way too confident (obviously Zelda sells the console..) and putting horrible prices for everything. The console. 299.99. Without counting the game you HAVE to buy because no game comes with the Switch. The game can be around 50 dollars. So you end up buying the fucking Switch for 350 dollars or so. Not to mention the accesories. Not to mention the online play. Not to mention the fact that the console's specs are literally those of a tablet you can find for .. maybe half the price? You can even find a better performing, more powerful Snapdragon chip for the same price in fucking phones.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Seems like I'll be waiting till Black Friday 2018 to get one.
    XD

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Good choice, by then, there oughta be a lot of games to choose and the price should go lower.

The NX would've been a better name.

Otherwise I don't really have much of an opinion of the console as I haven't bothered much to look into it, but mention of the use of cartridges is interesting for one.
    Controller looks odd as all hell for another, and in addition...the logo?....Anybody for Domino's Pizza?

I didn't end up watching the presentation either; I was preoccupied with some stuff last night, but reception overall seems well - especially coming from Skelly, a guy who 'hates everything'.

Curious to see what the deal is with Breath of the Wild, as well. It looks absolutely beautiful. Reminds me on No Man's Sky - that's a good thing. Wind Waker's cel-shading infused with the maturity of Twilight Princess(?) and Skyward Sword is also a thought the visuals evoke. (Maybe a bit of Ocarina of Time in there as well?) I remember watching a gameplay video a year or two ago with Miyamoto and Aonuma, and what began to get me excited was it's impressively vast scale and gorgeous visuals. However, there wasn't much of any further showcasing by that video if I remember correctly, so I'll probably want to tune into the presentation when I can.

Concerning the chronological placement; where will it fit in? It's a wonder where, with how much of a mess the timeline is, as well as knowing that none of the Zelda games were ever really developed with a timeline in mind. At that it was nice to see it set straight once and for all by the means of Hyrule Historia, but that should need a revision soon.
    #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

The Hyrule Historia timeline was bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

What do you mean by that? To me it adds up. Is there a major flaw that I missed? I might have to look at it again, but memory serves fairly clear.

I guess there's a reason it continues to be debated upon, even after the book's release. Hm...

EDIT: Oh wait, the image just showed up on my end.
    Last edited by CLONEMASTER 6.53; 01-13-2017 at 02:54 PM.

I'm still annoyed by the price, but eh, why continue complaning. I've calmed down. I know I'm gonna enjoy the damn thing in the end anyway.

That is what matters, anyway, but that still doesn't change the fact that Nintendo is making a bit of a poor decision with the price range(s) they've chosen.

Never denied that.

Didn't say you did. I was making a more general statement.

No one debates the timeline anymore, HH made sure of that.

Here's the timeline HH presents...

__________________________________________________ ______Majora's Mask->Twilight Princess->Four Sword Adventures (THE CHILD TIMELINE)
    __________________________________________________ _____/
    Skyward Sword->The Minish Cap->Four Swords->Ocarina of Time->The Wind Waker->Phantom Hourglass->Spirit Tracks (THE ADULT TIMELINE)
    __________________________________________________ _____\
    __________________________________________________ ______A Link to the Past->Oracle of Seasons & Ages->Link's Awakening->A Link Between Worlds->Tri Force Heroes->The Legend of Zelda->The Adventure of Link (THE DECLINE TIMELINE)

At the end of Ocarina of Time, Zelda sends Link back seven years in time so that the cataclysmic events of the game can be undone (an incredibly foolish thing for her to do... but that's an argument for another day). She continues to exist within the "Adult Timeline", while creating the new "Child Timeline". This is very straightforward and easy to understand.

But where does the "Decline Timeline" come from? Hyrule Historia suggests it as a mere scenario (OoT Link losing to Ganon/dorf) but still acts as if it's still just as legitimate a timeline... bullshit.
    Last edited by TheSkeletonMan939; 01-13-2017 at 03:43 PM.

And, as I've said before, that's all resulting from Nintendo developing the games without a timeline in mind, but rather, as single experiences - though it was clear in the beginning, for example, that Majora's Mask took after Ocarina of Time. Having said all that, and for nothing having been planned out too far, they handled the flow and organization of the games fairly well, all while providing rationalization for some of their more key events and turning points. I mean, bullshit or not, having a three-way split timeline was the only way they could make any sense out of it.
    Last edited by CLONEMASTER 6.53; 01-13-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Well duh, of course they didn't have a real timeline in mind when things were starting out.

Here's what they should have done instead: have the Decline timeline branch off of Majora's Mask. Link uses the Ocarina of Time anyway, which in effect creates a new timeline. What does this mean?

In this abandoned timeline:
    - Termina dies
    - The Triforce of Courage is absent from Hyrule, having been whisked away into another timeline
    - Ganondorf returns in Twilight Princess (there is no TP Link to stop him, as the Triforce of Courage does not save him from being turned into a Shadow Beast) and acquires the Triforce, just like the AlttP manual states.

Yeah. And interestingly, the last point of effect you suggested was similar in how Zelda sending link back seven years resulted in there being no Link to 'save Hyrule' once Ganon returned again in that timeline, and therefore Hyrule became flooded - that's where Wind Waker comes in; and why there's an ocean.