Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass effect 3 review

Well, I always have a hard time remembering which RPG had a decent or coherent ending especially when is part of a trilogy. Maybe linearity killed ME plot? Or maybe the devs never had a good story to begin with? What is done is done and being Andromeda an apology or not, cash cow or not, let's hope the best : D

Grand Shriner
    Well, its definately a cash cow. They've slapped the Mass Effect title on it, but its got nothing to do with the original games, nor is it even set in the same galaxy, I believe. Its the same trick that Final Fantasy pulls - the title means you make more money than you would have done if it was a new IP.

And what killed ME's story, was that there was no dramatic tension. They built Shepard up and up and up to absurd superhuman levels, such that they could never have him lose... ever... at anything. So the games don't really have the old crisis level where things go wrong anymore (or when they do, its in the most idiotically contrived ways that protect Shepard's invincibility). It never feels like there are any real stakes involved, because you know that Shepard absolutely cannot lose or even modestly fail. It'll just a sucession of increasingly unlikely wins from start to finish.

NG hits the nail on the head with the Reapers in ME2. The Reaper Destroyer that gets killed by a Thresher Maw sandworm is just pitiful. Destroyers can fly, so why didn't it just do that? The worm is tunneling about and can't be targeted, so why would the Destroyer (which apparently also has no scanners and heat sensors to see where it is), just sits there like a lemon waiting to be grabbed?!

And yeah, the bit where Shepard is rolling from side to side to dodge the beam is *the* lowest point of that game (and predictably is considered awesome by foolish fans). The idea that you can dodge this laser by just rolling about is so utterly insulting. If the Destroyer had simply angled the beam and swept horizonally, it would have been over in seconds. But quite apart from that, the laser should have cut that mountainside up like butter and sent Shepard plummenting to his death in a rockslide. For that matter, why have the Reapers only fitted their units with one gun?! The things are enormous and they don't think that a few batteries of anti infantry and AA guns might be a good idea? Or some racks of missiles? Nope, just one Beam 'O' Death.

And again, why didn't it just fly. Destroyers are noted in the codex for being involved in the space battles. They reached the surface by flying down there, but as soon as they land they seem to forget this fact and just sit about waiting to get killed. It happens again later on, where a Destroyer happily sits there trying to snipe you with its laser, ignoring the fleet of missile trucks that you are blatantly readying to fire at it, despite them being completely out in the open.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 02-22-2016 at 06:10 PM.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    That destroyer should have been able to destroy the thresher maw easily, considering its hyper advanced, and yet it gets ruined by something with no intelligence? Why doesn't the thing have X-ray and gamma ray vision and what not? It's hyper advanced and should be really hard to kill.

Also:This really pisses me off too:This company is a cock tease.They didn't show talis face at all, only in a photo frame and it looks human.Couldnt they have given us a glimpse of her face in person? Or were they too lazy to animate her face? Wtf!!
    I've been waiting for 3 games and I am very disappointed.

Also why didn't the reapers start attacking and conquering races and transforming them sooner? Did you see those goddam banshees? They are the hardest thing to kill, compared to the one they did to turians who are tough but not nearly as tough.Imagine an army of turians brainwashed and cyborgified? Imagine an army of those Elcor robotized with turrets on their back:Ouch. That would be horrid.They were called tanks, but with reaper tech:It would be worse.I don't even want to begin to imagine krogans with reaper tech either.Utnot wrex is a beast, and back in me2 when I was saving grunt, the imperfect krogans were massacring the soldiers easily.Even Shepard said that an army of angry krogans would be a nightmare.Come to think of it:Why don't I have grunt back?
    Last edited by Nostalgia gamer; 02-23-2016 at 03:06 AM.

Yeah, the Superman complex around Shepard with a bit of God complex in the middle, like everything really depends on him/her and nobody has pulse for nothing. I found the beggining of ME 2 pretty far-fetched, like the writers were desperately trying to prove something about him/her that wasn't carefully planned in the first place. I mean, dying and being ressurected sounded overly religious, even though the game's plot is a sci-fi political war of sorts. And for what? To end up working for Cerberus out of their kindness disguised as ulterior motives? That was kinda cheap on the writer's part...

Grand Shriner
    Javik even points out that in his time, the Reapers *had* repurposed the races they had conquered, making them in a galaxy and more's worth of altered nightmares. This is precisely the problem - his war against the Reapers sounds infinitely more interesting than the one we see. Because in ME3, the Reapers only have a handful of samey, trash mob units, with the occasional armoured beast. In sheer gameplay terms, Cerberus are by far the more interesting enemies, because their units link up quite nicely (tank units with shields, portable shield generators, Engineers setting turrets, Mechs keeping you suppressed etc). The reapers are just lots of weak enemies who bum rush you.

The thing with Tali is... To an extent I can sympathize with them. It was half assed, no question, but they have said time and time and time again that their writers (in Mass Effect and Dragon Age) really don't care or want to do the romances anymore. They were an addition to KOTOR that really caught on with the fans to the extent that they demanded there be romances in every Bioware game. Add in the growing influence of the internet and its constant calls for social reform and inclusion etc and Bioware was soon coming under pressure every game to provide lots of romance options, of varying gender and racial persuasions etc.

But as numerous interviews have shown, Bioware's staff are not interested in writing romance. As Mac Walters put it 'we want to write sci fi action adventures, not Mills and Boon romance'. So the issue over Tali's face (which is of most interest to those who romance her), is part of their increasing irritation at having to put all this content into their games that they really couldn't care less about. David Gaider has also mentioned that the Dragon Age team seriously considered cutting out all romances from future games, but was sanguine about the fact that the fans would never allow them to do it (and indeed there was much fan rage at such comments).

Bioware are in a difficult place on this. Their writers are predominately white middle aged guys who want to write swords and sorcery tales or sci fi espionage adventures. They're not EL James or Jilly Cooper, wanting to write lurid sexual tales, nor are they more traditional romance writers. DAI was another example of this with a large selection of romances, which were all handled terribly, such that you could tell that the writers didn't care in the slightest about them.

So Tali's face, got about the same level of 'Oh let's just get this over with' attention as the Diana Allers, Sam Traynor romances etc. You'll notice that Shepard has no new straight romances either in ME3, Because the writers are just tired of having to check this particular box. They really don't want to have to do the romances.

Grand Shriner
    Actually the reaper modified guys are fucking tough.The modified turians? Those guys have strong shields and a good range sniper rifle which will break your shield in one hit on easy, and probably kill you in two hits.Banshees and brutes are nightmare creatures in small areas and escaping them, even big areas since if you don't have any decent cover brutes will bull rush you and do huge amounts of damage, and banshees attack homes in on you regardless of being covered or not, but at least you can avoid it.

As someone who plays an engineer in me3 and me2, I hate banshees with a passion, and phantoms and those brutes.Its really hard to survive if I can't keep my distance.I much prefer fighting Cerberus and mechs with cover, because at least I can hide and throw rocket launcher drones.It gets worse:Every time I'm fighting those stupid banshees, I have legions of other enemies on me, like those goddam cannibals.On their on they aren't that bad, but they mess you up bad when fighting banshees.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Playing as a Engineer you have a Sentry Turret and Combat Drone to assist. The Marauders (Reaper Turians) aren't that bad to best, nor any of the Reaper forces. Have a Biotic with you and set up Biotic Explosions... They can deal a lot of damage.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

Grand Shriner
    Actually it's the melee enemies with ar or who screw me over, like phantoms, brutes and banshees.

Il tell you one thing though:Shotguns with armor piercing is devastating to a no barrier banshee, especially to the face.It does a lot of damage, and will drop her a lot faster.

Grand Shriner
    But you fight Banshees on what... 2 levels in the whole game! Its hardly a major problem is it?! And marauders... well, I've never had any problems with them. Maybe Engineers have more problems with them, I don't know. Never played as an Engineer and never plan to. The narrative never supports the notion of Shepard as an Engineer, and they just seem weak with poor weapons and powers IMO. Vanguard for me practically every time. Solider if I'm not playing as Vanguard - they are the only career paths that seem to fit with the narrative that the game establishes for Shepard.

The game blatantly casts Shepard as a shocktrooper, a 'First into the breach, hold the line action, follow me my stalwart companions!' hero. The idea of Shepard as some guy who sits back making drones, or sniping from an invisibility shroud simply isn't supported by the narrative. None of whicb technically matters, but I like to keep things as believable as possible (which is rather difficult given all Bioware's silly decisions). It just doesn't feel like you're playing Shepard right to me, in a way that is consistent with the narrative perception of him/her, unless you are playing in a full blooded, aggressive, lead from the front warrior type of style.

Because that's what the game is clearly positioning Shepard as. Its why you're always thrust into these 'tip of the spear', land where the fighting is thickest, carve a path through the enemies kind of deal.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 02-24-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    The game blatantly casts Shepard as a shocktrooper, a 'First into the breach, hold the line action, follow me my stalwart companions!' hero. The idea of Shepard as some guy who sits back making drones, or sniping from an invisibility shroud simply isn't supported by the narrative.
    Yeah, as a leader, Shepard is more bark than bite, more "flight than fight". When you're trying the game in harder modes this is specially true. If you rush into things, his / her aggressive posture fades to gray terribly fast.

Grand Shriner
    Realism doesn't matter, it's an rpg.The game suggests you can be an engineer and be a soldier, and in real life, there are people who learn some engineering tricks after joining the army, or medic stuff, but probably very limited.

From what I've seen too:Fireballs are just too good to say no to.Against any organic enemy, fire burns them and also seems to stagger them.
    Last edited by Nostalgia gamer; 02-25-2016 at 02:46 AM.

Grand Shriner
    Yes, but the way an Engineer or Infilitrator plays is in direct opposition to how the narrative is protraying Shepard in conversations etc. Not to mention that the training and knowledge that you say he could have is never in evidence during conversations - Shepard always acts like he has no clue about any of this stuff. Its like if you were playing through the game as a human and then in the conversations you suddenly become a giant orange baboon named Samuel. It wouldn't make any sense would it - and neither does the discrepency of playing as such a passive, support style of gameplay compared to the 'Oh, Shepard's the greatest warrior ever' that everyone keeps insisting on.

After all, it would hardly be very heroic or look credible at all if during all these showdown moments againat gang leaders and deadly zealots trying to threaten mankind, if they stared each down and then... Shepard dives behind some crates and shouts 'Just give me a minute to set this turret up, yeah?' Nor does it explain why he suddenly becomes proficient with an assault rifle for certain cutscenes (and where that assault rifle even comes from or where it goes after the cutscene ends). The narrative clearly paints Shepard as a knife between the teeth, real man's man of a commando. Not some tech guy who sets up turrets, not some biotic wunderkind with fantastic mental powers. He's a guy with a gun who's really great at fighting.

The game lets you plays as other classes, but it doesn't even try to accomodate that decision in the narrative. And that jarring discrepancy means I can never play as those kinds of classes in ME. Because the story seems to be about a different character than the one I'd be playing.

Grand Shriner
    Technically speaking all classes in me3 can use guns he maybe a soldier but doesn't mean he will dive back.

Grand Shriner
    Yes, but the Engineer uses pistols. The main perks to that class are drones and turrets, which seem as far away from the action hero commando styling they are giving Shepard as its possible to get. Shepard is constantly being asked to dive into the thickest of the fighting and carve through enemy lines. That is the kind of role that is filled by a shocktrooper commando, not some tech guy. They aren't stealth missions either - Shepard deliberately aims for where the enemies are and goes in all guns blazing. That isn't the kind of approach that the more stealthy and technical classes like Inflitrator, Engineer and Adept would favour.

Shepard is frequently seen getting in people's faces and staring them down at extreme close range. That would be a rather odd move for someone whose main weapon was a sniper rifle. Or who relied on tricks and traps from his omni tool etc. Whichever way you slice it, Shepard comes across as a frontline, gun toting, no nonsense 'shoot the enemies and then shoot them some more' commando. The games frequently embarass themselves by having conversations that fail to acknowledge if Shepard has technical or biotic talents. And the reason is simple - the stats show that most people play as the soldier. So Bioware takes that as their standard in conversations, and nips and tucks for the other classes on the rare occasions they remember to or can be bothered.

Again, it doesn't really matter, but I personally need these kinds of things to make sense. Like in those Rockstar games where the narrative for say Red Dead Redemption is that whatever his name is... Marsten is it? Well whatever, that he's a man who's largely put violence behind him, and is only doing this because the feds are threatening his family etc. And yet you can fill in time between missions by going on mad rampages, gunning down everyone you see and generally being the nastiest man who ever lived. But the main plot will never address that. It drives me crazy to see things like that.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 02-26-2016 at 06:38 PM.