Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts so far on mass effect 2

Grand Shriner
    The batarians are basically wiped out before ME3 even starts. Its a classic case of Bioware starting a story thread and then dropping it completely, because they either couldn't be bothered, or the feedback on it was poor etc. The whole point of The Arrival Dlc for ME2 was to force Shepard to commit an atrocity against the batarians in order to stop the Reapers. An act which was so severe that Admiral Hackett ordered Shepard to turn himself in and face trial once he was done with the Collectors. Hackett supports Shepard's move as desperate but necessary, but the action is so outrageous that there will be war if Shepard isn't held accountable.

They built this trial up and up and up as this huge deal... And then dropped it from ME3, and wiped out the Batarians so it would no longer matter. And its basically never mentioned again. Bioware's continuity strikes again...
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    I saw you can actually play as a batarian in mass effect 3 since its online.

Grand Shriner
    Only in the multiplayer, which is a seperate thing. In the single player, you're still stuck playing as Shepard. The batarians aren't completely wiped out, but they are reduced to a fraction of their number, and lose all their territory and organized government etc.

Grand Shriner
    I won't be playing me2 any time soon since I don't feel like replaying me1 since my file just corrupted.I was about to beat the game so forget it.

Grand Shriner
    Seriously, you're better off not moving a save game over - it really doesn't count for jack all. They basically rebooted the series with ME2 into something different, so ME1 often feels like they barely acknowledge its existence at all. Your choices from the first game really don't matter at all. I consider ME1 the best ME game and well worth playing, and I think ME2 is an excellent game also, but as a sequel ME2 sucks big time,

Just play ME2 wuth that downloadable intro comic thing. It covers the big decisions, and that's all you need. ME2 works best as a standalone game IMO. Its continuity is a farce from ME1 and its riddled with retcon. And as for ME3, that game sucks IMO and isn't worth playing anyway.

Grand Shriner
    Vrykolas I just started all over in me2 with the dlc comic thingy for choices.

Grand Shriner
    Good man. Its the best way to play that game - this way you keep the big choices from ME1, without having to gnash your teeth at all the ways it fails to uphold teh continuity. Played as a standalone game, ME2 is a great experience.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    I disliked the comic for ME2 and ME3... call me a traditionalist, but I prefer to play the trilogy from start to finish

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

Grand Shriner
    Yeah, but his game glitched near the end of ME1. I love ME1, but having to play it all again when I'd nearly finished? Forget that.

And the comic does its job. It gives the truth to the lie that your choices matter. It covers the only ones which actually matter. ME2's continuity sucks - the rercons are too jarring for me to ever consider it a sequel to my canon playthrough of ME1. If you do the Paragon ending to ME1, then ME2 makes absolutely no sense. It fails every test of being a sequel, completely abdicating any responsibility to do what the ending of ME1 promised you would be doing (i.e making ready for the Reapers and unifying everyone, because everyone has now seen that the Reapers are real, but that they can be beaten). Instead, it has messing around against enemies that are only on 3 levels in the whole game, and aren't in the last game at all!

And ME2 is basically a reboot, so even your character which you carry over is changed. You stop being Space James Bond and become Space Superman. From human to super cyborg without batting an eyelash. From a world where technology has definite limits and evolution to TIM, EDI and Mordin coming up with magic space science to solve any problem. All they needed was Geordie La Forge's VISOR and they'd have been all set.. Shepard was a person, not a comic book character - he would not just give up 10 years of service in the Alliance, the life and career he had built there, everyone he knew there, so easily and with not even a moment to consider it!

So its best just to treat ME2 as a clean slate, Play ME1 by all means, but whilst I like ME2 very much, I have never enjoyed it when I have gone straight over to playing after ME1. Because the retcons and the rebooted nature of it is too obvious. I can only play ME2 after a substantial amount of time has passed since playing ME1, when I basically just take it down off the shelf and think 'Yeah, why not - haven't played this in ages'. Because then I can enjoy it on its own merits as a great game, and not as the bad sequel that it unfortunately is.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the first 2 games. Both were fantastic and amongst the very best of the last gen. But as a series, they fail utterly to provide a coherent narrative, because the 2nd game is so obviously written with a new tone, by a new lead writer with a new agenda, and it just nips and tucks at the edges to make it all fit and hopes nobody asks for a mirror.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 02-01-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Grand Shriner
    Something that really bothers me in me2:

At the start the council doesn't believe your story about the reapers yet I recall at the end of me1 I saved their ass, and they still treat me like shit.They are a lot nicer because of saving them but still nasty to me.Wtf I sacrificed countless alliance ships to save them.Even the reporter asks is it a little much for them to ask because you sacrificed countless alliance ships? I'm also annoyed that everyone in the council automatically assumes I am allied with Cerberus.I am trying to help the good guys and I don't trust Cerberus.I know for sure it was Cerberus who had some experiments with creatures.Exogeni isn't good either.

Grand Shriner
    That's the exact problem I had. It undermined the whole premise of the game for me, because it completely retconned the ending of ME1, where the Council admitted to both Shepard and Anderson's faces that they believed the Reapers were real, and that they were ready to help. Given the amount of trouble it took to get there, you'd think that Shepard would have asked for them to put that in writing, or recorded the conversation. Working with Cerberus is like putting on a Nazi SS or ISIS uniform, and then doing charity work for Save the Children. You may do some good, but you're giving free publicity to an atrocious organization in the process!

Its a circular argument that's used, and it drives me up the wall. They won't publicy support you because you're working with Cerberus. But you're only working with Cerberus because they won't support you! Its ridiculous. All Shepard would have to do is say 'Right, lock down the Normandy in dock, impound it and have the crew brought on board for questioning. Rotate an Alliance crew on there, and we'll force TIM to tell us what he knows or lose his whole investment in this.' There is simply no reason to just go along with what TIM is saying (and he doesn't even prove any kind of connection of the Collectors to the Reapers at all until Horizon).

Obviously the game cannot account for all these things and has to focus you along a specific path. But its the way it does it, and the flimsy retcon way it uses. The attack on the Normandy is great, but the whole Shepard comes back from the dead (!) as a super cyborg soldier is beyond daft. If they weren't going to respect your choices in ME1, they should have simply not allowed you to return to the Citadel. TIM should have shown you definite proof of Reaper involvement, said 'Look, either you help us out and I give you what you need, or I strand you on the nearest desolate planet with a few sandwiches and a flash of tea to be going on with'. Your work with Cerberus should have been forced on you, because that's what the game is doing anyway. Instead of retconning everything from ME1 to try and make it work.

Whenever you meet people from ME1, like Anderson, the Council, Garrus, Tali, Ashley/Kaiden - they all express their incredulity at what you are doing. They all wonder why you don't just go back to the Alliance, or at least use old contacts to get your own operation together. Anything other than working with the Space Gestapo. And as someone who played as a Paragon in ME1, I was always jumping up and down screaming at the screen 'THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING!!!'

Grand Shriner
    I got another complaint so far:Seems like aside from the handfuls of missions, I am stumbling around trying to scan planets to hopefully find a mission since I ran out of weapons to upgrade.I have no use of mining since I have no upgrade research available at the moment.

Grand Shriner
    Weapon upgrades are usually found on Hub Worlds (Omega, Citadel, Ilium, Tuchanka) at weapons dealers, or on main missions and Loyalty missions. True side missions (i,e planet scan N7 missions) rarely have anything like that. Those usually have a few crates of resources, some money etc.

The key thing to understand is that your party will only truly get stronger by obtaining upgrades (levelling up does help, but equipment upgrades are where the real power is). So you need to consistently be doing main missions (i.e Dossiers, TIM's compulsory missions that he gives you now and then etc) and the loyalty missions. Because that's where the upgrades and new weapons are.

You should however stop doing the main story missions after the Disabled Collector Vessel (or you'll probably lock yourself in to the bad ending, or worse ending at any rate). Loyalty missions however you should do as soon as they show up. Your party members are mostly fighting at half strength until you do those.

Grand Shriner
    I just created a female Shepard to hit on Garrus heh.I wanted to see what the romance is like with Garrus.
    Last edited by Nostalgia gamer; 02-08-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Grand Shriner
    Brand new update:

So far I'm liking the quests.I also could have sworn there is more variety in planet types than in me1.Not all planets now are rocky types with dust where you wander around and the new ship is nice.

The dlc quests so far are really good as well.

I did Kasumi quest
    Zaaeed quest
    Quest for jack
    Haven't done shadow broker quest yet.

Some of the others I've done are good too.

I did find the quest for mordin a little repetitive but it is interesting because you are curing a virus, and learn about the batarian relation with humans.You also get to meet the vorcha.

There are actually more weapons in mass effect 2 than in me1.

For instance:

Rocket launcher
    Grenade launcher
    Machine gun
    Pistol
    Shotgun
    Rifle
    Flame thrower

I got the flamethrower in zaaeed quest, and it's fun to use.You also do earn upgrades which is nice, since I think it's super hard to upgrade biotic related items in me1.I do like the system and the weapon upgrades, and I Like the loyalty thing gaining powers and being able to use it if you have a loyal companion with you.I like the branches for powers since it makes it not so boring and linear like mas effect 1.

Just got to the part of saving Kaidan alenko.I got a laser beam weapon those disgusting radroach race known as the collectors use.These guys are super tough with their laser beams and their force fields.Eww I'm roasting roach people.
    Last edited by Nostalgia gamer; 02-09-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Grand Shriner
    Well, I can't stand the levelling up in this game myself. They got rid of all the RPG elements and just gave everyone combat powers. People (including Shepard) are now good at everything the plot currently needs them to be good at, and sometimes bizarrely lose those skills in later scenarios and conversations where they claim not to be any good at things they have previously been shown to do!

As for the variety, well yes of course. People moan and complain about EA all the time, but this is why Bioware merged with them. ME2 had a much bigger budget than ME1 (Dragon Age Origins was stuck in development hell too, until EA threw a ton of money at it and said 'Get it finished by this date - no excuses'. Its true that EA have brought much woe to the fans and Bioware have been going to the dogs for years now, but in the early days of the merger, it was the best of both worlds. Bioware at the height of their creative powers, being bankrolled by a company with extremely deep pockets to help them fulfill their ambition.

It didn't last.

Grand Shriner
    I understand vrykolas but you still have a leveling system.In my opinion the leveling system is still better than mass effect one so far due to not maxing out everything super fast and having everyone the same, cause that's just boring.Granted I'm not even close to the end yet, but it does have a lot of promise.Its also nice that planets actually look different from each other.I do still miss the rover runs.

Also you have two branching paths at the end for skills, allowing you to differentiate for every character.Say one character is a master in overload take one path for longer reach overloads and another for stronger.

There is still a leveling system but it's much slower now and the game wants to take its time.

I think one of the most concerning thing is how on rails this game is.At the moment, I end up rushing through missions to find upgrades for weapons and armor, since I get so few, and money since I can't buy anything for a while.I end up being purposefully broke because there is so little cash drop compared to me1.At the same time:The game doesn't want you to rush through missions because you miss out on iridium, or possible new weapons or upgrades.

Hilarious thing:Hitting on mordin is soo so funny.So worth being let down just because real funny.
    Last edited by Nostalgia gamer; 02-10-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Grand Shriner
    I still say that RPGs should never dumb down on stats. If a character wants to be good at something, he should have to pay for that privilege by means of stat points or some kind of perks system. Otherwise you are simply great at everything whenever the story needs you to be (Shepard has endless cutscenes in ME2 and ME3 which are basically 'Shepard is the greatest person ever at everything'). The only thing you aren't great at is combat, which you actually do have to pay points for. Which is hilarious, considering its supposed to be the one thing your people definately *are* supposed to be good at!

And the game really scores an own goal with the loyalty skils. They are essential to making the team members as good as they need to be, but they are locked for nearly half the game! And since the level cap is pretty draconian, its easy to leave yourself unable to max the team's best skills. Which means holding back points when you level up, which is never very fun as the obvious impulse is to spend them. The levelling system being slower is not a good thing - it holds your characters back for no good reason, and potentially shafts them later. Its an awful system IMO that seems to be deliberately trying to catch the player out.

Grand Shriner
    Lucky for me I saved up to max out a lot of skills.I got zaaeed maxed on his flame grenades, kasumi on her stun grenades mordin on neuroshock and grunt on his barrier thingy which is a loyalty skill.I do think the game holding me back purposefully is not such a great thing, and not having much in terms of quests, but it might be because the quests do seem better.All of the companion quests are really good.As for the skills:I do wish I could access the loyalty skills earlier.Its a good thing people warned me.

Grand Shriner
    To be honest though, Zaeed, Kasumi and Mordin are amongst the few characters whose loyalty powers aren't all that great! Kasumi and Zaeed are both Dlc characters and were included after feedback from the fans (i.e that they hated having the best skills locked for so long). Both Flashbang and Incendiary Grenade are good skills, but the AI struggles to get the best use out of them. Kasumi is better off focusing on her Shadow Strike and Class Skill (to better her cooldown times). Zaeed is better off focusing on Disruptor ammo and his Class Skill (because his stat increases to health and weapon damage are better than basically anyone else in the party). The loyalty power is best for most of the other characters (I'm not wild about Miranda and Mordin's powers, but everyone else has excellent loyalty powers).

The biggest problem I have with the loyalty quests is that they have to be completed to unlock the character's skill, which means those skills are not available during the mission itself. Each character's loyalty mission is their one big moment to shine, when the quest is written specifically around them. It sucks that when their big moment comes, they still don't have their best available and so are a drag on the squad's combat prowess in their own mission! Characters like Grunt, Jacob, Tali, Garrus, Legion, Thane etc are all substantially weaker without their loyalty powers. Garrus is simply inferior to Zaeed in basically every way until he gets his ammo power (and even then, he's only about as good).

My last big issue with the levelling up system is that having ammo as a skill is just silly. How much extra training can it possibly take to load a different kind of bullet into your gun? Are we seriously saying that trained assassins like Thane never use Disruptor ammo, even though its easily the best choice for a sniper rifle? Does nobody aboard the Normandy know how to make or purchase Armor piercing rounds except Garrus? And why won't he share them (unless you buy the final power that gives the squad such ammo, but that takes lots of points and doesn't increase his personal damage output at all).

Its all a symptom of them scrapping the weapon and armor mods from ME1, and completely removing the Inventory system. Yes, the Inventory system from ME1 needed some work, but removing it entirely and making everything into passive buffs?

Grand Shriner
    I do miss equippable ammo and the game isn't perfect.The first thing I noticed is now shields take forever to break down without ammo for piercing armor and shields.

I also began the shadowbroker quest yesterday, and boy did liara change.I actually like liara more now than I did in the past.

Another thing that bothers me in me2:The characters hardly say anything now and instead of talking after every mission, it feels like a few missions pass and some characters literally say nothing of interest, like Garrus.Garrus hardly says anything except for his quest and a few lines about the quest.If I try to talk to them busy talk later talk to much talk later.

I think honestly mass effect 1 had better character dialogue.

Grand Shriner
    The thing with the gameplay is that it awkwardly straddles RPG and shooter. It plays like a 3D shooter, it removes almost all the RPG elements from the levelling up, and yet stats do matter greatly. Until you level your class skill up, find the better weapons and purchase the higher level upgrades, it takes ages to kill some kinds of enemies. Because no matter how good at 3D shooters you are, your weapons are doing crap damage, and your health and shields are too low to take much punishment.

During the Collector Vessel mission, you will be given a option to basically receive a free upgrade from 3 choices. These change depending on what class you are, but they are usually a choice between a special weapon appropriate to your class that can't be gotten anywhere else (and can only be used by Shepard, though some are replicas of Squad mates unique weapons). Or you have the option to receive training in a weapon you currently can't use. I cannot stress highly enough that you should take the special weapon on offer (or one of them anyway), because they are all excellent weapons and are generally much better than any of the weapons you find in the game normally.

ME1 certainly had way more character banter and even in smaller missions on the Citadel, your characters would frequently be chipping in with their thoughts. But in ME2, there is basically no banter at all (there are *very* occasional lines, but they are so infrequent that they only serve to remind you how little of this there has been). And in anything other than the main or loyalty missions, your characters never really have anything to say for themselves. They might say something like 'Hmm, this seems worth a look' or some other boilerplate non statement, But that's it really.

On the ship, its as you say - it often feels like the characters have very little to say. Over time, most of them have just about enough to justify their inclusion (Kasumi and Zaeed have to make do with even less though, being last minute DLC additions). Garrus and Tali suffer from being recurring characters who could have been treated in different ways by Shepard in ME1. So in typical fashion, Bioware dodges the issues by having them say very little, only giving them much dialogue if you choose to romance them. Otherwise, they hardly say anything.

And the issue with Liara is something that really annoys me. 100 years is the blink of an eye for the Asari. Liara was always embarassed about 'only' being 100 years old and afraid such a short period of time would lead to people dismissing her theories. Yet in the space of 2 years, she has gone from socially maladjusted loner to well connected, super espionage agent with a web of contacts and skills ranging from detective work, to inflitratiion etc etc and has become cold blooded and single mindedly ruthless?!

Its blatant retcon and Creator's Pet fanwank of the worst kind IMO. This is not what the character was, and changing it to be Shepard's super girlfriend (as the game seems to insist you be together, even if you expliticly say you aren't), is just irritating beyond belief. Its also disappointing how easily the Broker is found and defeated, given how much he was bigged up in ME1. All to set up a premise for ME3, which that game basically ditches and does nothing with... Great. Not.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 02-12-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Grand Shriner
    Personally I thought the changes made to liara made no sense of her going from super agent.She was never an agent but acts as if she was an Asari commando trained professionally, which I call bullshit on.

On the other hand: Despite this, the gameplay is quite good in many areas, and I see improvements.There is certainly more variety in areas.There was actually a car chase scene in this game which is neat, and some levels are very creatively designed.The shadow broker is interesting.

Oh yeah I don't like how I can't go into areas after finishing the quest, because that sucks.Its like:I got the password to go into the vip section and can't go anymore.What if I wanted to dance with that Asari I danced with there?Its also super easy to miss out on weapons I didn't find.

As for the weapon I chose:I chose the sniper rifle, since my version of Shepard is a engineer and has no long range gun.

I have a feeling you might hate mass effect 3 considering I heard it's even more streamlined.

I'm getting the impression that both games have little replayability due to the fact that there is little to explore in mass effect 2 aside from scanning every planet which is boring.
    Last edited by Nostalgia gamer; 02-13-2016 at 03:27 AM.

Grand Shriner
    Actually Mass Effect 3 is less streamlined. You can choose freely what weapons you want to take (and from a much larger selection than ME2's tiny selection of guns), and the guns all have different stats that make them good in different ways. You can mod your weapons again, and the amount of guns you take weighs you down, slowing your cooldown times. So you have to plan it out to get a good balance of decent weapons and acceptable cooldowns. My problems with ME3 are not gameplay related (the levelling up system is better too, giving you a choice of powers at every stage near enough, not just the final stage). You also level up much faster, and heavy weapons are pick up and carry weapons with limited ammo, which means you don't have to commit to one for a whole mission.

Gameplay wise, ME3 is pretty good. Its still missing the RPG elements (all the skills are still combat related, and ammo is still a skill which is just daft IMO), but the game is more or less a polished and refined version of ME2's system. I'm not wild about some of Shepard's animations, but then I just prefer ME2's look in general. People insist ME3 looks better, but not to me it doesn't.

My problems with ME3 are all story related, and the ability to mark your Shepard out as your own is severely compromised, as the game has lots and lots of cutscenes with Shepard taking actions and speaking with no imput from you (or with only a range of unacceptable options sometimes). The third game has a very mawkish, sentimental streak about it, with Shepard and the crew suddenly angsting over the terrible cost of war and a lot of other hand wringing blather. Its painful to watch, it really is.

With regard to you choosing a sniper rifle... you mean you chose sniper training? I confess I haven't ever played as an Engineer, so I don't know what options you have there. Vanguards get Assault Rifle Training, Sniper Rifle Training or Shepard gets a version of Grunt's Claymore heavy shotgun. Soldiers get a choice between Revenant Heavy Assault Rifle, Widow Anti Tank Sniper Rifle or Claymore Heavy Shotgun. They're sensational weapons and much bettet than the crap weapons that the rest of the game gives you. Like the Viper Sniper Rifle - what a piece of crap that gun is!

Whoa, this thread really went far! I better just scroll down or it'll spoil everything for me XD

I felt (just like some reviewers) that the game doesn't have a real plot. Is it true that the whole thing is about recruiting people from different places in order to justify a "To be continued..." for ME 3? I don't mean ME 2 is bad because of it, so far I enjoyed, is a step above the first ME in many levels but... am I just covering ground after ground without character development or what?