Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Goldsmith / LEGEND (30th Anniversary Edition) / FLAC / COVER

Quote Originally Posted by MrGhostface View Post
    I have to be honest, when I first saw this post I was pretty sceptical about it, given the not uncommon claims from people to have improved on an official release. Well, this does. I love it. I've listened to the Silva Screen release many, many times, and never noticed just how much room for improvement there was. I was so grateful that the score had been saved from the brink of death that I never really questioned its quality.
    I would be sceptical, too. After all, I could very well be someone who just presses some, I don't know, "Crystalizer" or "Bass Boost" button, crank up the Noise Reduction to full and then proceed to call it "remastered". But I'm not.

Though I am in fact quite vocal about Deluxe Editions that didn't have the result I wanted to have, Editions that could have been sounding better.

Glad that you like it
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jabberwock View Post
    Oh it would be awesome if somebody would make reup....
    I second that. All links on mirrorcreator are dead (even those marked as working by mirrorcreator)

Grand Shriner
    Yep, I tried every mirror as well....

Shitballs! I completely missed this. I would greatly appreciate anyone willing to re-up this for us late arrivers. Thanks in advance - fingers crossed!

Re-upload of SonicAdventure's excellent work -

Grand Shriner
    Thank you ellisplz!!

Quote Originally Posted by ellisplz View Post

Fantastic, thank you

Grand Shriner

grateful thanks ellisplz for reuploading!!!

Banned
    Thank you

Grand Shriner
    Thank you kindly.

Grand Shriner
    Thank you ellisplz!!

Onion Kid
    Thank you everyone.

Indeed! Thank You!!

Grand Shriner
    Impressive work Sonic, thank you very much!

Onion Kid
    Thank you so much for this.

Grand Shriner
    Thank you very much!

Grand Shriner
    Thank you!

Grand Shriner
    Thank you Sonic' and thank you
    ellisplz for the reup!

Thank you so much for the link and thanks Sonic for the original share. I had been looking for this everywhere and I couldn't find it so thank you so much!
    Complete Score Whislist:
    -Endgame (Alan Silvestri)
    -Solo A Star Wars Story (John Powell)
    -Fantastic Beasts (James Newton Howard)
    -A Cure for Wellness (Benjamin Wallfisch)
    -Halloween 2018 (John Carpenter, Cody Carpente & Daniel Davies)
    -LOST (Michael Giacchino)
    -Game of Thrones (Ramin Djawadi)

"Don't tell me what I can't do!"

Thank you!

Thanks for this to all involved in keeping it going and of course to Sonic, without whom there'd be nothing to re-up

Grand Shriner
    As a fan of Sonic's work I'm surprised that I've never seen this DeLuxe Edition before..! So: thanks again and again to SonicAdventure for his incredible work and thanks to ellisplz for the re-up!!

Thanks so much for the re-up!

Grand Shriner

Thank you so much!

Grand Shriner

Thanks a lot!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SonicAdventure View Post
    Beware: this doesnīt include any additional music!

Not one of my usual Deluxe Editions since it doesnīt contain additional music. Reason: every piece I was able to find sounded so bad that I couldnīt salvage it. I tried. To no avail. That leaves me with updated sound and several covers for you to choose from. 'Legend' by Jerry Goldsmith has always sounded like crap. A shame, really, because it is such a wonderfully complex score. Everyone knows the story of how this score was scrapped for the American release, so Iīll not mention it again. This release here is my fourth attempt to 'remaster' it and itīs the only one of my attempts I like. I have been trying - until now, in vain - since I bought my CD in 1995.
    Over the years, countless people have complained about the sound, describing it as shrill, brittle and lifeless. I myself was appalled by the badly mixed, obnoxious synthesizers and by reverb that sounded metallic (and you never ever want that to happen!). While I could hear all of these issues, I didnīt know the reasons and, in turn, how to fix them. Now I do: as it turns out, itīs lack of deep bass, lack of high treble and spatiality problems. Basically, this score has only mids. Lots of it. But, of course, you cannot just switch on a Loudness switch, it needs refinement. My aim was to create something that sounds warmer, dynamic, less brittle, less metallic, with better integrated synths without loosing spatiality.
    IMO, I succeeded on all counts. I was able to widen the sound, revealing an extremely well done mix. The added sonority helps the score a lot to sound more appealing while the synths are still strong yet less in-your-face. Precision has improved a lot. Some people wonīt like this more contemporary sound, they will not like how much I changed it. To them I say: shut the fuck up, it now sounds like a Goldsmith-score.

The cover was a pain in the ass as well. This is an '80s movie, so I wasnīt able to find HiRes material for it. I had to fake everything. Take the poster where Darkness is holding the two lovebirds in his hands while sitting within a nightly landscape. The whole picture was painted with the goal of being reproduced for vertical poster designs - which made it impossible to adapt it for square CD covers. So I had to expand it to the sides if I was to use it. That was a difficult job and you can see some artifacts if you look closely. Despite this, Iīm happy for once how it turned out. Since I had to prepare several pictures before I could use them for the covers, they are included in the archive as well. You can find them within the folder named 'Posters'. I actually re-created the two official SilvaScreen designs with the goal of updating them for the year 2015. Well, they still look like shit, my talent doesnīt go all the way it would need to do in order to actually offer an improvement. In any case, just take the pick you yourself like the most. Within the archive, you can find 3 design schemes. Design 1 is based on the colour RED, Design 2 is based soleley on the first SilvaScreen design, Design 3 is based on the recent BluRay.

Some personal thoughts regarding the music itself:

As much as I love it, Iīm actually not surprised that this score was rejected. Jerry Goldsmith created something of an oddity because he composed a highly impressionistic score. Impressionism in music is characterized by "colour", achieved through orchestration, harmonic usage, texture, etc. By doing so, he composed a score with so much weight that it is crushing the movie. Which is a surprising in itself, because the movie itself is already very lush and colourful. While this certainly isnīt Goldsmith's first impressionistic score, itīs one of his most challenging. Thereīs only one single theme which he brilliantly mutates so often or takes it apart in order to state just fragments that it becomes difficult to connect a certain theme to anything. And, who could forget, the synths. Iīm sorry, but they sound incredibly dated, very old-fashioned and a bit tacky. Probably cutting edge 30 years ago... but nowadays? Not so. They add to the lushness of the music itself, turning the score into an overbearing nightmare. Still, it is a wonderful score. Extremely creative, inventive, complex, gigantic and one of the best of his career.

So in case youīve never heard it before, be prepared to hear music that might appall you at first. My advice to you is: give it time, the score will unveil its beauty after a while. This isnīt an easy score, no. But itīs a rewarding one.

The sound will never be better (unless they find all the multitrack elements and remix it), not one of the available releases (The vinyl edition? Are you kidding? What a waste) is able to sound as good as this one. Not arrogance; itīs a fact. So, enjoy it!

Now A WARNING:
    1. Once the links expire, I wonīt upload it again, someone else has to do that (maybe by creating mirrors?)
    2. Mp3's: This time, I wonīt provide them. Donīt be lazy, create them yourself, itīs incredibly easy.

Tracklist:

1. Main Title / The Goblins 5:49 2. My True Love‘s Eyes / The Cottage 5:07 3. The Unicorns 7:56
    4. Living River / Bumps & Hollow / The Freeze 7:25 5. The Faeries / The Riddle 4:56
    6. Sing The Wee 1:11 7. Forgive Me 5:16 8. Faerie Dance 1:55 9. The Armour 2:20
    10. Oona / The Jewels 6:44 11. The Dress Waltz 2:51 12. Darkness Fails 7:31
    13. The Ring 6:32 14. Re-United 5:19

Spoiler!

Thanks a lot!!!