Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Goldsmith / LEGEND (30th Anniversary Edition) / FLAC / COVER

Biggest looser on forum powaquatsi's Avatar
    please try to upload on MEGA, like everybody else.

Great share ! Thank you !

Thanks!!

Grand Shriner
    Curious how much better this will sound. I have to say I've never heard anyone sound so angry about a score they've tried to restore. If you dislike it for so many reasons, why bother?

Grand Shriner
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicAdventure View Post
    We are into unicorns a bit, aren´t we?

What about the last Unicorn? Christopher Lee spoke King Haggard...
    Yes! but I have rewatch that again. It's been ages.

Still haven't listened to it yet but will today and then rewatch the movie again (the DC).

Thank you

Thanks, SonicAdventure!

Thanks for sharing.
    FLAC Looking for:

The War Within - Van Lawson
    Andhadhun - Amit Trivedi
    ManHunt - Taro Iwashiro
    RE:BORN - Kenji Kawai

Grand Shriner
    Wow. I've never felt compelled to see the film -- I don't know if I ever will, to be honest -- but this is a really hypnotic listening experience. Thank you for your stunning work as usual, I'm sure this is the best way to experience this score for the first time.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powaquatsi View Post
    please try to upload on MEGA, like everybody else.
    I´m not everybody else. Have you heard and seen the owner of MEGA? There you have your reason.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Ugh how dare you Sonic :P

Quote Originally Posted by MrGhostface View Post
    Curious how much better this will sound. I have to say I've never heard anyone sound so angry about a score they've tried to restore. If you dislike it for so many reasons, why bother?
    Do I sound so angry? Not good. At heart, I´m a cynic, these days I don´t expect anything when buying a new score because they´re always more or less botched. My cynicism may have gotten the best of me... I really love this score. But I had my problems with it. Now that I have made this set, I´m able to enjoy it.

Did you have any problems with Jupiter Ascending? Did you remaster that for your own personal enjoyment?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSparktank™ 2.1 View Post
    Yes! but I have rewatch that again. It's been ages.

Still haven't listened to it yet but will today and then rewatch the movie again (the DC).
    Very melancholic movie (Last Unicorn), badly drawn. Good music, even gorgeous at times. Great voice acting.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by miggyb View Post
    Wow. I've never felt compelled to see the film -- I don't know if I ever will, to be honest -- but this is a really hypnotic listening experience. Thank you for your stunning work as usual, I'm sure this is the best way to experience this score for the first time.
    The movie is not bad. But not good either. The production was plagued with problems, the music was just one of the many problems. If I recall correctly, the set burned down. Not the best circumstances...

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
    Did you have any problems with Jupiter Ascending? Did you remaster that for your own personal enjoyment?
    Yes, I did. It´s Varese, so no reason to share it

Giacchino always sounds bad. Even among different engineers, I wonder how he does this.

Wow, I'd love if you could privately share that one

Grand Shriner
    The music wasn't a "problem". Universal got bad test screenings, panicked, had Scott chop up the film and replace the score with something more "hip". Not that the Tangerine Dream score is in anyway hip.

Bella Notte Lover PonyoBellanote's Avatar
    I'd really really really like, for like a day only, get your ear so I could really see what's the audible problems you talk so much that the soundtracks all have. What is the perfect sountrack sound for you, how do you do it, and what is the audible difference?
    Wishlist:
    - Alpha and Omega RS or CS (Chris Bacon)
    - Dragonheart RS or CS (Randy Edelman)
    - Star Fox Assault RS or CS (Yoshie Arakawa and Yoshinori Kawamoto)
    - Snow Buddies RS or CS (Brahm Wenger)
    - Zootopia RS or CS (Michael Giacchino)

RS = Recording Sessions
    CS = Complete Score

Thanks!
    I love this score!

Quote Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
    I'd really really really like, for like a day only, get your ear so I could really see what's the audible problems you talk so much that the soundtracks all have. What is the perfect sountrack sound for you, how do you do it, and what is the audible difference?
    @SA
    Maybe a thread in the discussion section. Take your time to write out a thesis on this?
    Take a month to write it out and share your input with everyone.

Grand Shriner
    Thank you Sonic for sharing your efforts on this one, I shall enjoy hearing your take on this score, always impressed with the work that you do.

"perfectly balanced" DAKoftheOTA's Avatar
    Too long, didn't read - I thought Tangerine Dream composed Legend? Unless this is (once again) a rejected Goldsmith score.

Any Led-Zeppelin fans on here? I made custom film versions of all their songs that appear in my favorite movie, Almost Famous. If you're interested, you know what to do

Don't forget the visitor message option

#makeamericagreatagain

Quote Originally Posted by DAKoftheOTA View Post
    Too long, didn't read - I thought Tangerine Dream composed Legend? Unless this is (once again) a rejected Goldsmith score.
    Short version: They did once Jerry Goldsmith got booted from the project.

The Bluray has different cuts.
    Theatrical with Tangerine Dream
    Directors' Cut with Jerry Goldsmith.

or something.
    There's 3 different cuts to the bluray.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
    How many hours do you have?

The perfect soundtrack sound... difficult. There are some scores that sound pretty unbalanced. Unbalanced means: not enough treble/too much treble, not enough bass/too much bass, not enough mids/too much mids. I always aim for a balanced sound, meaning, every frequency area should be equally loud to your ears. When I´m successful, it´ll sound good on every thing you play it with, whether it´s your smartphone, home stereo, kitchen radio (that´s what mastering really is about: good sound on every device).

In the case of Legend, there were only mids. Deep bass and high treble were - in comparison to the mids - too soft (low amplitude). Sounds OK on a kitchen radio, because those don´t have bass and treble anyway. But on a home stereo? Portable stereo? Smartphone? Much worse.

The end result is not the perfect soundtrack sound, but it´s the sound coming closest to that goal.

Perfect sounding soundtracks? Hook (1st release), Titanic, Star Wars EP II. They are fairly balanced, but not perfectly. Titanic lacks mids (typical for Horner scores, that was his preference), EP II has too much energy around 2500 Hz and above 9000 Hz, Hook is a bit too brilliant. Despite these marginal flaws, their sound works perfectly. They are engineered to sound a certain way, in case of EP II Shawn Murphy (engineer) wanted it to sound like the earlier Star Wars scores engineered by the late Eric Tomlinson. He had a certain preference for sound which Murphy then copied in order to create consistency.
    An example of the desire for character gone awry are The Hobbit scores. Character badly exaggerated and then completely destroyed by mastering. An example where I myself turned the sound into something "imbalanced" on purpose is my Deluxe Edition for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. In fact, the OST sounds more balanced. My Deluxe Edition pays hommage to the sound of the first Indy score, again engineered by Eric Tomlinson.

Perfect sounding soundtracks that are balanced? Timeline, the Goldsmith score, Tomb Raider by Silvestri, Species (C. Young), Avatar.

My main tool for making something balanced (by now it should have been clear that "balance" is a relative term) is an Equalizer. Engineers don´t like to use them the way I do, they always respect the original sound of the masters. I don´t care that much about the original sound, when it sounds bad it sounds bad. So I sometimes perform surgical procedures to average out frequency flaws introduced, for example, by ancient microphones (The Hobbit springs to mind again). Since 2007 or so I added tools for dynamic compression and spatial manipulation. With those two I can manipulate the impression of punch and the soundstage (say, the impression of the orchestra sounding as if it´s closer/further away from you). Tools I rarely use are declickers, denoisers, exciters and artificial reverb. I don´t use most of them because it isn´t necessary, most stuff I work on has already been treated with those. And I hate adding reverb, it always sounds fake. I can only name one exception: Jurassic Park. The sessions sound decidedly different to the OST (as evidenced on the 20th anniversary edition). The OST was prepared by Williams and Murphy specifically for the album, they added reverb, probably to add to the fantasy appeal.

All of those tools can be abused to create something that sounds completely unnatural, not at all like an orchestra. I don´t want that. I want real instruments that have been played by real, breathing and living people.

How do I know how something is supposed to sound like? Don´t know. Experience, I guess? I really have no idea. I always knew what sounded good and what doesn´t. Even when I was in my early teens. It´s always gratifying to realize that my sound preference (because that´s what it really is: a preference, not a reference) appears to be based on reality whenever I hear a live orchestra. But, of course, I also know how to analyze music by using, for example, frequency spectrum analyzers, spectograms, plots of any kinds, numbers and charts. People calling themselves audiophiles always get this wrong, on FSM you can find so many idiots having no idea what they´re talking about. These "cold" numbers help people like me to know WHY something sounds bad/good. If we know why, we can fix it. But those audiophiles? They´re just saying "I´m listening to music, not to data". Those are also people who cling to ancient media like vinyl, when, all that vinyl does, is adding character to sound (by changing the frequency response... like an equalizer, adding distortions, etc.). They could just use an EQ to tweak the sound to their liking. But no, they´re listening to music, not to data. Uhuh.

And before I start to lash out at people who are too dumb for their own good, I stop. I hope, I´ve answered some of your questions. I hope you understood even half of it (I can be too complicated when talking about stuff).

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheSparktank™ 2.1 View Post
    @SA
    Maybe a thread in the discussion section. Take your time to write out a thesis on this?
    Take a month to write it out and share your input with everyone.
    Too late. As usual, I couldn´t stop writing. Crap <- directed towards me.