Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cloud in Smash Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia gamer View Post
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Great article expresses great my feeling.
    Great article, I agree with everything except one: Square-Enix didn't make FFVII, Squaresoft did.

FFVII is the cash-cow of the FF series because I think S-E has run out of ideas. Every new FF for them is a formula. It takes a group of ragtag teens/early adults and spins a ludicrously complex, overly dramatic, space opera movie with gorgeous graphics but a bogged down narrative and gameplay that does everything in its power to give the player as little choice as possible. Think about it, what's the last FF game that wasn't that? On a side note, I'm really not looking forward to FFXV because of this.

But FFVII is different because S-E doesn't have to be creative when making it. Just take Cloud, a broody, whiny teen anime trope and add some stupid story about how he has to team up with a bunch of walking cliches to fight a big bad anime character with long hair and Latin chanting in the background, and make the bad guy want to end the world because he's Broody McBroodblestein and nobody gets him so the world has to pay, and you've got an FFVII sequel. Oh yeah, and totally out of place comic relief.

VII's story was never revolutionary, and neither really was the gameplay. I mean, you could translate it to the SNES and it would work out pretty much the same. What took the world by storm was how it looked. Pretty much everyone who's played both agrees that VI has a far superior story to VII. And I think that's what that guy is saying; you've got a superior game getting shunted to the side because it didn't do anything revolutionary at the time. I think of VI and VII as sort of analogous to MGS3 and 4. 4 was praised to high heaven when it was released because I think everyone was madly in love with the graphics because it showcased the PS3's ability, and everyone thought that what it was doing was revolutionary. But 3's story and gameplay is in every way superior, even though it was released late for the PS2. Think of who wants to play MGS4 now? *shudders*

FFVII just happened to be that game that came out at the right time. I'm sick of it too. I think it's S-E's trump card, that no matter what else happens, they can always fall back on it. And a lot of it is a nostalgia factor, that people don't see the flaws because they grew up with the game and love it in spite of its flaws. You and I aren't part of that group, and it's really sad to see FF to be a shadow of its former self. I think they need to take more risks, hire people with actual ideas, and not lock themselves in the straightjacket of Final Formula.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1982_tarheels View Post
    Reddas is the guy who got his brains blown out by Travolta in the backseat of Jules' car.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRay View Post
    Oh, now i get it...

Your Posts aren't meant to be ironic... You actually think you're funny....
    I fucking hate FFShrine.

Grand Shriner

Mgs4 is a third person shooter with stealth elements.

In mgs3 relying on camo to get around and you had actual non lethal ways of dealing with enemies means that it was many times more stealthy.Thing is:Mgs4 relies on nostalgia factor rather than introducing something new.Mgs3 told a new story and had a very compelling system.Mgs4 feeds off nostalgia for mgs1 and 2.Even enemies are named after stuff like psycho mantis clone and laughing octopus and crying wolf.(Hint hint the sniper from mgs1) worse part, is every boss has some samey sappy story about child abuse and how it turned them insane.

Even some characters in mgs4 aren't as likeable.I personally liked Naomi less in mgs4 and I didn't like a lot of the new guys.

I think the whole thing for the weapons gathering is ridiculous.There were too many weapons and too much focus on running around shooting random people.Instead they should add unique weapons in few quantity and new mechanics.
    I did however like the story of mgs4.

Also I think it was always square who made dubious games.They throw out games really fast in a year or two and hope it is a hit, and this was ever since the nes days.Ff2 and 3 remain as some of the most hated games in the series.Crystal chronicles was an insult to gamers, and secret of mana in my opinion is one of the most overrated overhyped games created by square, due to the fact people pardon it just because it's made by square and has multiplayer, but it's multiplayer sucks and multiplayer doesn't excuse lack of character development or lack of good story telling.Its 100% generic in every sense.It wasn't until ff7 came out that enix got the idea of style over substance anyways and it was the beginning.Look at what square did to the parasite Eve series.What ever happened to the horror element? First person shooters is what happened, and third person shooters.Its hugely profitable so make it off the call of duty black ops and battlefield shooter kids who are brain dead.
    Last edited by Nostalgia gamer; 02-12-2016 at 04:05 AM.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Olde View Post
    Great article, I agree with everything except one: Square-Enix didn't make FFVII, Squaresoft did.

FFVII is the cash-cow of the FF series because I think S-E has run out of ideas. Every new FF for them is a formula. It takes a group of ragtag teens/early adults and spins a ludicrously complex, overly dramatic, space opera movie with gorgeous graphics but a bogged down narrative and gameplay that does everything in its power to give the player as little choice as possible. Think about it, what's the last FF game that wasn't that? On a side note, I'm really not looking forward to FFXV because of this.

But FFVII is different because S-E doesn't have to be creative when making it. Just take Cloud, a broody, whiny teen anime trope and add some stupid story about how he has to team up with a bunch of walking cliches to fight a big bad anime character with long hair and Latin chanting in the background, and make the bad guy want to end the world because he's Broody McBroodblestein and nobody gets him so the world has to pay, and you've got an FFVII sequel. Oh yeah, and totally out of place comic relief.

VII's story was never revolutionary, and neither really was the gameplay. I mean, you could translate it to the SNES and it would work out pretty much the same. What took the world by storm was how it looked. Pretty much everyone who's played both agrees that VI has a far superior story to VII. And I think that's what that guy is saying; you've got a superior game getting shunted to the side because it didn't do anything revolutionary at the time. I think of VI and VII as sort of analogous to MGS3 and 4. 4 was praised to high heaven when it was released because I think everyone was madly in love with the graphics because it showcased the PS3's ability, and everyone thought that what it was doing was revolutionary. But 3's story and gameplay is in every way superior, even though it was released late for the PS2. Think of who wants to play MGS4 now? *shudders*

FFVII just happened to be that game that came out at the right time. I'm sick of it too. I think it's S-E's trump card, that no matter what else happens, they can always fall back on it. And a lot of it is a nostalgia factor, that people don't see the flaws because they grew up with the game and love it in spite of its flaws. You and I aren't part of that group, and it's really sad to see FF to be a shadow of its former self. I think they need to take more risks, hire people with actual ideas, and not lock themselves in the straightjacket of Final Formula.
    It was indeed a great article imo. I, however, did not fully agree with it; I think FFVII was a lot better than the author gives credit. I do. however, think that if FF VI got the level of quality remake of FF VII is getting, people would indeed see FF VI for the superior game that it is. (For the record my idea of the best FF game flip flops between FF VI, FFVII and, FIX)