Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the older generation ff players getting too old for ff?

Survived the 『Hunt』, but not the Lady. Leon Scott Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia gamer View Post
    Your right that x is more or less a straight line early on, but at least you can still go back and later on you can visit all the places you went to already.I admit I prefer the earlier games as they give even more exploration than in x, and I already spoke about how every mob is a copy paste.Slime one is weaker than slime 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 etc.There are very few actual monsters, just recoloring and name change.At least though you had blitzball and all the mini games at the end though.Sure I'm being generous to x but blitzball was ok and there were multiple side quests at the end which were pretty tedious.The butterfly Minigame that one of racing chocobos was real hard, dodging lightning and if you had the European version, you got all those optional bosses:The dark Aeons.You also had arena
    Yeah, I have the European version; I found Dark Aeons to be fun optional enemies, but also somewhat unbalanced: most of them were viable, but Dark Bahamut was a son of a bitch, I remember buying the Piggyback official strategy guide specifically for some kind of hint about beating that guy without Zanmato, but what did the book say? Nothing. Nada. The Italian translation says in a nutshell that if you do manage to survive through the initial turns, the guy's gonna rape you with Mega Flare, if you want me to use Zanmato, just say it, damn it. At any rate, if I recall correctly, some versions of the PAL/EU FFⅩ [PS2] also came with a Bonus DVD titled "Beyond the Fantasy" (or something like that), I have it but information about its "origin" is sketchy in my head, nowadays, maybe it was included with the original release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia gamer View Post
    By the way Leon do you recommend ffxv? I'm just curious.I heard ffXI is fun.I never got into it because at the time I was playing Everquest.
    I'm going to guess you meant to write FFXIV there and that's a game I can't recommend enough, you might cross paths, or find yourself teamed up with stupid human beings, but sadly most games with certain online features have their share of dickheads, not much you can do about it. Most of the best friendships I've had were "born" on FFⅪ, I've fond memories on my online experience with that game. I do understand paying extra money might throw folks off, but in my opinion, it's worth it.

If you meant FFXV, no, I would never recommend it. I don't like the general look of it and the folks comprising the main cast do remind me of what would pass off as boy band material. I'm gonna pretend FFXV isn't real, thank you.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | N: “He was having his favourite dish.”
    “May the good blood guide your way.”

Grand Shriner
    Ok sorry thought you meant ffXV.I played a little fo ffXI but it was the demo so hardly played any.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKUSHO View Post
    what i can comment on is that making it episodic is fucking retarded. this can imply that the freedom we enjoyed after leaving midgar might be severly reduced. to the point of having the game being linear. "you got the ship. head here. no, you cant go anywhere else until yo go here, because you're missing that chapter"
    Interesting point that actually links to FF XIII's syndrome "From point A to point B there's nothing in between". I mean, many places in FF VII had special events after some requirements and that would involve "breaking" the linearity. FF XIII had... a pre-historic steppe after hours of dungeon crawling and whiny dialogs? Nothing very special really...
    Making FF VII remake a good one will force SQEX to review their mistakes in order to not shoo more fans.

Not quite sure what the point of this thread is. My take on it is that S-E is more in the story-telling/soap opera business rather than in creating games. That's my sense from having played FFX, X-2, XII, and XIII, as well as watching some playthroughs of S-E games that I didn't want to play myself.

In terms of trends, I absolutely hate the recent trends of making the combat "streamlined" (read: giving the player no choice). The old FF's really shined in how they balanced story and combat. You could theoretically play an FF game where you don't like the story if the gameplay is good. That's not the case for me for FFXIII, where the game revolved entirely around the story and the company did everything they could to take player input out of the game. The combat system was also garbage. I know it's a cliche but it really felt like FFXIII played itself and is why I haven't bought an FF game since then. From the very little that they've showcased of FFVII-remake combat, I don't expect S-E to have learned from their mistakes because everyone defends their shitty decisions.

I also wanted to address this idea because I think it's really important:

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Scott Kennedy View Post
    About the original question you have in the title: duh, nice detective-work, captain obvious; nowadays' old Final Fantasy (but you're free to put any other important franchise there, the same is true) fans don't matter that much, any more. Game-development is a business, they're after the big money and by now, the tastes of folks like you and me, which have played the earlier Final Fantasy, do not matter. Their target are today's teenagers, it has always been like that.
    Here is how the gaming demographic break down, according to the Entertainment Software Association.

([Hidden link. Register to see links.])

The average age of a gamer is 30. So obviously the assumption that only teenagers play video games is not only flat-out wrong, but stupid to have as a company because teenagers comprise 29% of the entire market (male teenagers only 15%). So I think that incorrect notion really has to be stomped out. I think that S-E has to realize that FF is now a more or less niche title that would be much more successful with wider appeal to older audiences than to teenagers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1982_tarheels View Post
    Reddas is the guy who got his brains blown out by Travolta in the backseat of Jules' car.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRay View Post
    Oh, now i get it...

Your Posts aren't meant to be ironic... You actually think you're funny....
    I fucking hate FFShrine.

Survived the 『Hunt』, but not the Lady. Leon Scott Kennedy's Avatar
    Well, that's good to know and I'm serious, didn't know about that data. Personally, I've come to believe what I said in the message you've quoted because that was the only possible explanation I could come up with (okay, partly also because of a message by GregaMan on the CAPCOM-Unity board, if memory serves me right) for what happened to some of my most beloved franchises. I think the term you used, streamlined, might be applied to quite a few other games, on a more general level: there have been loads of games which "hold your hand and guide you to the end/staff roll", regardless of your own gaming-skills.

In regard to Ⅶ's Remake, I would be lying if I said what I have seen didn't get me interested, I'll give it a try with as much of an open mind I can have (being a player that approached the Final Fantasy series because of Ⅶ), but for me it will be a win/win situation, regardless of the outcome:

- Will I end up enjoying the Remake? Good for me, no money wasted, as far as I'll be concerned. Besides, even if it does end up being good, the Remake will not take the place of the original for me. (And I'd dare to say the same will be true for many other players).

- Will I find myself not liking it? Won't buy any more episodes and I'll stick to playing the original game.

"Say something!"

"Something."

Oh, good times.
    Last edited by Leon Scott Kennedy; 01-18-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Grand Shriner
    Ff7 is old anyways like 6.It will eventually start to decline if it's allowed when it gets to a certain age since it's original game is already pretty old (19 years old this year) and gets lots of criticism, more so than it did when it was new.I too am interested for the mere sake of storytelling action rpg style and curiosity of what the materia system will be like, and if any new summons and materias will be added.