Page 1 of 57 12345671151 ... LastLast

Thread: nx666's Soundtrack-a-Ganza - Computer Edition (C64,Amiga,Atari,X68000,PC-88/98,etc.)

Grand Shriner

nx666's Soundtrack-a-Ganza - Computer Edition (C64,Amiga,Atari,X68000,PC-88/98,etc.)

nx666's Soundtrack-a-Ganza Vol.2 - Computer Edition

"So, what is this stuff?"

This thread was started as an offshoot of [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. The main goal is to provide support for the systems not covered there, while trying to avoid any significant overlap.

"That's pretty cool. What can I expect from the downloads?"

(quoted from ruiner9) "Most of my albums are tagged with song titles, however a few requests I've taken have been without any information that I could find, so they're just labeled as numeric tracks. If anyone has song title info and would like to share it, I will add it to my collection. All files are LAME encoded VB0 MP3 (unless stated otherwise)."

"I'm new to computer music, where should I start?"

Well, you could check out my podcast that regularly features songs from the soundtracks posted in this thread:

Subscribe: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

For information on all the earlier posts, please see the [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

Amiga / CD32
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by nx666; 12-09-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Grand Shriner

Arcade
    Spoiler!

Atari 8-Bit
    Spoiler!

Atari ST
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by nx666; 12-09-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Grand Shriner

Commodore 64
    Spoiler!

Demos / Arrangements
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by nx666; 11-12-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Grand Shriner

FM Towns
    Spoiler!

MS-DOS / Windows
    Spoiler!

MSX
    Spoiler!

PC-8801
    Spoiler!

PC-9801
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by nx666; 12-09-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Grand Shriner

Sharp X1
    Spoiler!

X68000
    Spoiler!

ZX Spectrum
    Spoiler!

Misc.
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by nx666; 12-01-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Grand Shriner
    Thread is now open, please let me know if any of the links stopped working.
    Last edited by nx666; 09-27-2015 at 01:02 AM.

Check out my VGM Podcast - PixelTunes Radio! ruiner9's Avatar
    No requests from me yet! Just posting here so I can subscribe to all your awesome updates.
    Visit my thread at [Hidden link. Register to see links.] for tons of goodies!

Grand Shriner
    The other day I posted the Total Eclipse soundtrack, and here are the first two games of the Freescape "series":

Dark Side (C64) - Long, atmospheric tune by Wally Beben.

Driller (C64) - The first game of this series with music by Matt Gray. Very similar to the Beben soundtracks and also incorporates elements from John Carpenter's Halloween and Phantom of the Opera.

Spooked (C64) - Not spooky at all. This is a fairly upbeat tune by Gerard Gourley. Like most of his music this is pretty catchy stuff.

Providence (PC-8801,OPNA) - There are quite a few nicely arranged, melodic pieces in this soundtrack. The music was composed by Manabu Saito, a pretty talented guy who sadly passed away at an early age.

Grand Shriner
    So I noticed your reply in the previous thread concerning my earlier Bonk arcade request:

Quote Originally Posted by nx666 View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't do this one either as Kaneko never bothered to put sound tests in their games.

....and wanted to change my request accordingly. Can you do Raiga: Strato Fighter instead? This is a Tecmo game so I think there's a better chance of getting a rip for this!
    Interested in obscure VGM? [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Ooh, could I request Space Battleship Gomora (Arcade)? I have the game's official soundtrack from UPL, but apparently there are some [Hidden link. Register to see links.] that didn't make the official release for whatever reason. And dat bass.

Grand Shriner
    Push-Over (Amiga) - The original version of this puzzle game. The music is by Ocean regulars Dean Evans, Keith Tinman and Jonathan Dunn. Although the compositions are the same, the arrangements are quite different from the SNES version.

Shockwave (Amiga) - 3D shmup, the intro music "Electric Revenge" is one of Matthew Simmonds's best know compositions on the Amiga.

Airmania! (Amiga) - Weird game with music by Wally Beben and Ian Davenport. Stylistically this is all over the place

Racing Hero (Arcade) - Spiritual successor to the Hang-On series. Hikoshi Hashimoto is the composer for this one.

Ghost Pilots (Arcade) - Neo Geo shmup with music by Masahiko Hataya.

Legend of Success Joe (Arcade) - Boxing game, developed by Wave Corp. The arrangements are pretty basic for a Neo Geo game. Some of the songs seem to be duplicates, but I haven't had time to check if there are any minor differences so I included them all.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Check out my podcast: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Rebel Maverick Hunter Magma Dragoon's Avatar
    I'm wondering if you forgot my XZR requests...
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Magma Dragoon View Post
    I'm wondering if you forgot my XZR requests...
    You must have overlooked my initial reply to your request:

Quote Originally Posted by nx666 View Post
    You can get the PC-88 OPNA versions from [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

Grand Shriner
    Run and Gun / Slam Dunk (Arcade) - Like its sequel this was composed by Mutsuhiko Izumi and uses a similar blend of rock, hip hop, and techno. Originally I did this with M1 which resulted in weird skips in many songs. The affected tracks were replaced with manual recordings, in case I missed anything, let me know.

Raiga: Strato Fighter (Arcade) - Tecmo shmup with music by Mitsuhito Tanaka and Mikio Saito. There are a few pretty good tracks.

Grand Shriner
    Bio-Ship Paladin / Space Battleship Gomora (Arcade) - UPL shooter, the music is by Yoshio Nagashima and it's pretty good. One of the unused songs sounds like Stage 3 from the Vandyke soundtrack. Which in turn had all these tracks from Bio-Ship Paladin as unused songs. Not sure what happened there. Maybe this was all composed at the same time and then used in several games?

Dragon Master (Arcade) - Korean Street Fighter 2 clone with a genre-typical soundtrack. The music suffers a bit from the lo-fi sound quality and the badly edited loops in some of the songs.

Providence
    One of best vgms ever, imho. Oh, why...

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Knivesman View Post
    One of best vgms ever, imho. Oh, why...
    I have a few more of Manabu Saito's soundtracks in my backlog, but I'm not sure when I'll get to them. Put in a request if you want them earlier,

Grand Shriner
    Thanks a bunch for the Raiga: Strato Fighter rip! Anyway, this technically isn't a request per se, but I wanted to ask a question: Has Konami M2 hardware been emulated yet? I ask since I'm interested in a rip of Tobe! Polystars but last I recall (which was a few years back, mind you), the hardware has yet to be emulated. BTW, I already have the OST version of the soundtrack, but perhaps a rip might unearth an unused track or two....

Thank you for your hard work, nx666. I have three new requests for you:

Garou Densetsu 2 (X68000, MIDI) -This is to not only add exclusives, but also see if there are any differences between this and the Special versions.

Battle Tryst (Arcade) - Powered by the Konami M2. This is perhaps not yet rippable, but I might be wrong.

Rabbit (Arcade) - The arcade version may have some differences compared to the Saturn version.

And by the way, do you have any suggestions on adding more albums to your cell phone or other digital music players? A friend I went to school with suggests using cloud storage, but that requires Wi-Fi.

All I can think of are converting files (time-consuming) and upgrading storage (expensive and easy to find fake memory cards).
    -> [Hidden link. Register to see links.] <-

Grand Shriner
    Shienryu (Arcade) - This is an ST-V game so the soundtrack is the same as that of the Saturn version. The music is a nice mix of electronic, rock, and metal tracks.

Deliverance: Stormlord II (C64) - The sequel to Stromlord with music by Matt Gray. Not quite as inspired as the original, but still pretty good on its own.

Slightly Magic (C64) - Another early 90s action-adventure by Codemasters, there must be a million of these things. Allister Brimble did the music for this one which is catchy, bouncy stuff, like the rest of them. Seriously, this might as well be its own sub-genre in C64 music.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelB View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the Raiga: Strato Fighter rip! Anyway, this technically isn't a request per se, but I wanted to ask a question: Has Konami M2 hardware been emulated yet? I ask since I'm interested in a rip of Tobe! Polystars but last I recall (which was a few years back, mind you), the hardware has yet to be emulated. BTW, I already have the OST version of the soundtrack, but perhaps a rip might unearth an unused track or two....
    I don't actually know to be honest. But since this was a CD-based system, there is a pretty good chance the music was streamed. So if the images are dumped (I think they are) and not encrypted (not sure) you might be able to get the music that way, even if the games themselves are not fully working in MAME yet.

---------- Post added 10-02-2015 at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-01-2015 at 11:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1983parrothead View Post
    Battle Tryst (Arcade) - Powered by the Konami M2. This is perhaps not yet rippable, but I might be wrong.
    See my comment above. I can look into the M2 games when I have a bit more time at my hands.

Rabbit (Arcade) - The arcade version may have some differences compared to the Saturn version.
    I tried this one before, the sound test only plays one track for some reason.

And by the way, do you have any suggestions on adding more albums to your cell phone or other digital music players? A friend I went to school with suggests using cloud storage, but that requires Wi-Fi.

All I can think of are converting files (time-consuming) and upgrading storage (expensive and easy to find fake memory cards).
    These are the only options I can think of. I also have [Hidden link. Register to see links.] on my phone, supports many systems and plays the music in its original format which saves a ton of space. For example all 40000+ C64 soundtracks are less than 300 MB.

Grand Shriner
    Manji: PSY Yuki (PC-9801) - rpg soundtrack credited to Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima. Most of it is fairly experimental electronic music, definitely very interesting stuff. Despite being an OPNA soundtrack, this makes pretty heavy use of the PSG channels.

Gage (PC-9801) - This is also attributed to Yuzo Koshiro. The music is similar in style albeit without the dark overtones of the Manji soundtrack.

Radax (C64) - Mediocre shooter that uses several of Jeroen Kimmel's great demo tunes as its soundtrack.

Street Warriors (C64) - Beat'em up with a soundtrack by Anthony Lees. This is somewhat reminiscent to the music he contributed to the Last Ninja 1 score. I always liked the title track with its rad "guitar solos".

Shriner
    Holy s***, Sword of Lxsor
    Now if only I could find 20+ other soundtracks from the X68k.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by AdyShearer View Post
    Holy s***, Sword of Lxsor
    Now if only I could find 20+ other soundtracks from the X68k.
    Why don't you request them here (three at a time) ?
    Last edited by nx666; 10-02-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Shriner
    Okay. I will.

Ryu naki ko.
    master striker zero
    r+r

Grand Shriner
    Just one request today:

Fatal Fury 2 (X68000,OPM/MSM+SC-55) - Many of these tracks were reused for Special, so if you're familiar with that one then there is not much new here.