Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Thread: nx666's Soundtrack-a-Ganza - Computer Edition (C64,Amiga,Atari,X68000,PC-88/98,etc.)

Grand Shriner
    OK. Brah Choushinden and all of those other games I request must be rare, or no one gives a damn about them to upload the rom to the Net.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrif001 View Post
    OK. Brah Choushinden and all of those other games I request must be rare, or no one gives a damn about them to upload the rom to the Net.
    You could try your luck at places like the Tokugawa forum, they have threads where you can request game uploads.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Check out my podcast: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by nx666 View Post
    You could try your luck at places like the Tokugawa forum, they have threads where you can request game uploads.
    Can't. I am denied access on there permanently, since the admin is a damn jerk.
    Last edited by Sharrif001; 01-05-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Grand Shriner
    One final request for this year:

B.Rap Boys (Arcade) - The sequel to DJ Boy with cheesy hip hop music. This was a pain in the ass to make, so I hope someone out there appreciates the bit of effort I put into it!

Grand Shriner
    Here's a little tribute to the late Lemmy Kilmister:

Motörhead (Amiga) - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] where Lemmy has to rescue his band members from the clutches of evil rappers, ravers, Dolly Parton, and other assorted enemies of true metal. The soundtrack is by Ben Daglish.

Check out my VGM Podcast - PixelTunes Radio! ruiner9's Avatar
    Nice choice.
    Visit my thread at [Hidden link. Register to see links.] for tons of goodies!

Sorry for the very slow response nx666, I had been quite busy during the holidays and worst of all, no Internet connection due to a monster storm. I extremely appreciate your biggest effort: the B.Rap Boys soundtrack. ^_^

Since it's still the holiday season, I will struggle on recording the Kaneko Jackie Chan arcades (especially Fists of Fire) as much as possible. You might think it's next to impossible, but all it takes is less to more than a minute to record the whole songs, then add repeats that cannot be noticed. But first, access service mode and extend the time limit before proceeding with the game and wait for each song to loop. The built-in recorder in MAME causes the game to freeze, so Audacity is my other option.

While you readers are waiting, view this PV:

-> [Hidden link. Register to see links.] <-

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1983parrothead View Post
    Sorry for the very slow response nx666, I had been quite busy during the holidays and worst of all, no Internet connection due to a monster storm. I extremely appreciate your biggest effort: the B.Rap Boys soundtrack. ^_^

Since it's still the holiday season, I will struggle on recording the Kaneko Jackie Chan arcades (especially Fists of Fire) as much as possible. You might think it's next to impossible, but all it takes is less to more than a minute to record the whole songs, then add repeats that cannot be noticed. But first, access service mode and extend the time limit before proceeding with the game and wait for each song to loop. The built-in recorder in MAME causes the game to freeze, so Audacity is my other option.

While you readers are waiting, view this PV:

I don't think there is any rip that's truly impossible, some are just really time-consuming. Here are a few of the methods I use for "game play recordings", maybe you'll find this helpful too.

Get [Hidden link. Register to see links.] of MAME, which can do VGM logging for many sound chips. The big advantage over WAV logging is that most VGM players/editors allow you to mute individual sound channels and that's very often an easy way to get rid of the sfx. So basically, try to figure out which channels are used for sfx and then mute them when converting the VGM file to WAV. This method also works with any other emulator that can do VGM logging. Unfortunately, this wasn't an option for B.Rap Boys (and potentially other Kaneko games) due to the bank switching they use, which isn't recognized by the VGM logging implementation.

One other tool I use very often is Cheat Engine in conjunction with MAME. Freezing a timer is actually a very easy thing to do, but you can also use it to disable sfx or switch the track that is currently being played. That's what I ended up doing for B. Rap Boys.

These Kaneko games (like Fists of Fire) all seem to use streamed audio. You can test this in Audacity: import the sound rom "jc-300-00.84" as raw data (ADPCM, mono, sample rate somewhere around 22050Hz).

Good luck, looking forward to your rips!

B.Rap Boys (Arcade) - The sequel to DJ Boy with cheesy hip hop music. This was a pain in the ass to make, so I hope someone out there appreciates the bit of effort I put into it!
    This is neat. Thanks!

Hello, nx666! How was your Christmas? Mine was very good. I just downloaded the Motorhead soundtrack and enjoying it. Not sure if you're ready for requests yet, but I want to try and be the first to give you your first OST requests for 2016!

- Drift Out '94: The Hard Order (Arcade - Opus Co. does it again with some well-done and awesome to listen to songs on this game.)
    - Operation Wolf (Arcade - One of Taito's greatest classics for the Arcades.)
    - Super Volleyball (Arcade - The game that led to the two Power Spikes games. Almost forgot about this one, lol. :P )

Well, have a happy new year, nx666, and hope to see more from you soon!!

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTengu View Post
    Hello, nx666! How was your Christmas? Mine was very good. I just downloaded the Motorhead soundtrack and enjoying it. Not sure if you're ready for requests yet, but I want to try and be the first to give you your first OST requests for 2016!
    I'll probably start posting new music at some point next week. But before I continue with requests, I need to finish some of my own stuff. I'm currently sitting on a huge pile of half-done rips that will have priority for the first few days.

Grand Shriner
    I'll probably start posting new music at some point next week. But before I continue with requests, I need to finish some of my own stuff. I'm currently sitting on a huge pile of half-done rips that will have priority for the first few days.
    Good luck!

Shriner
    Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of a download for the OST to "Kami no Machi" for the PC88? Any help or a rip would be much appreciated. Thanks

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by 05pro View Post
    Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of a download for the OST to "Kami no Machi" for the PC88? Any help or a rip would be much appreciated. Thanks
    I can rip Kami no Machi but you might have to wait until the end of next week before I can post any new requests.

Shriner
    I can rip Kami no Machi but you might have to wait until the end of next week before I can post any new requests.
    I can wait as long as it takes. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Grand Shriner
    Let's start the new year with a new section: music for Atari 8-bit computers, home of the Pokey and probably the first system with a decent sound chip.

M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-Bit,1983,Electronic Arts) - The original version of this soundtrack.

Dragonriders of Pern (Atari 8-Bit,1983,Epyx) - Strategy game based on Anne McAffrey's series of novels with odd music.

Ballblazer (Atari 8-Bit,1984,Lucasfilm Games) - I think this was the first game published by Lucasfim. The soundtrack is an early example of procedurally generated music.

Boulder Dash (Atari 8-Bit,1984,First Star Software) - The original version of this game, the music is the same as in the later C64 port.

Aerobics (Atari 8-Bit,1984,Spinnaker Software) - A precursor to games like Wii Fit, the music is fairly simple but oddly compelling.

Jet Set Willy (Atari 8-Bit,1986,Tynesoft) - Rob Hubbard did work on a handful of Atari soundtracks. This awesome tune is probably his best known non-SID composition.

International Karate (Atari 8-Bit,1986,System 3) - Also by Rob Hubbard, a conversion of the C64 music.

Warhawk (Atari 8-Bit,1986,Firebird) - More Rob Hubbard and another straight port of his C64 music.

The Extirpator! (Atari 8-Bit,1988,Firebird) - A totally different game but the music is the same as Hubbard's loading tune from Sanxion (C64).

BMX Simulator (Atari 8-Bit,1986,Codemasters) - Many of David Whittaker's early soundtracks are also available for the Atari and most of them are pretty faithful conversions of the C64 originals.

Red Max (Atari 8-Bit1986,Codemasters) - Great tune and arguably even better than the original. By David Whittaker

Storm (Atari 8-Bit,1986,Mastertronic) - Converted from the C64 version by David Whittaker

Panther (Atari 8-Bit,1987,Mastertronic) - Converted from the C64 version by David Whittaker

Crumble's Crisis (Atari 8-Bit,1986,Red Rat Software) - Richard Munn was a fairly prolific composer during the later years of the Atari. This is one of early soundtracks.

Heartache (Atari 8-Bit,1988,Atari UK) - More Richard Munn music. The game seems to draw some inspiration from Bubble Ghost.

Plastron (Atari 8-Bit,1990,Harlequin Software) - Very late Atari game that plays like an isometric Moon Patrol. Another Richard Munn soundtrack.

Awesome, will definitely give these a listen.

Rob Hubbard and Dave Whittaker? YESSSSSS please!

Grand Shriner
    Gary Gilbertson is a largely forgotten pioneer of game music who did some pretty amazing things on the Atari as early as 1982.

Advanced Music Processor Demo Disk (Atari 8-Bit,1982/83) - This is a collection of demo music composed by Gary Gilbertson for the AMP sound driver developed by Philip Prince. Very impressive is the stylistic variety, ranging from pop songs like "Passionately" or "All Were I" to creepy, suspenseful tunes like "Alien". You can find this one in the demo section.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] <-- karaoke version, complete with lyrics

Cosmic Tunnels (Atari 8-Bit,1983,Datamost) - I remember playing this game on the C64, each sub-stage is like its own game with completely different mechanics. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the music on Youtube.

Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory (Atari 8-Bit,1983,Datamost) - One of the many single-screen platformers that were popular on computers at that time.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] <-- The music is played a tad too slow here, probably a PAL/NTSC issue

The Tail Of Beta Lyrae (Atari 8-Bit,1983,Datamost) - Scramble clone with a fairly impressive intro.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] <-- this is gameplay footage, I couldn't find a video with just the music

Some early C64 music:

Frogger [Sega] (C64,1983,Sega) - The Sega home computer port of the Konami arcade game. The music is a loose interpretation of the original.

Super Pipeline (C64,1983,Taskset) - Pretty good early C64 game. The soundtrack by Paul Hodgson and consists mostly of covers.

Elite (C64,1985,Firebird) - I must have spent hundreds of hours playing the various incarnations of this game. Mostly known for its title music, this soundtrack was composed by David Dunn and Aidan Bell. Also included is one additional theme only found in the C128 version.

Wizardry (C64,1985,The Edge) - This is an isometric action adventure that has nothing to do with Sir-Tech's rpg series. The music was composed by Mike Alsop.

Synth Sample (C64,1984/85) - "Theme from Stationary Ark" - there is probably no other piece of computer music that I have as much nostalgia for. This was part of an early C64 music demo by Georg Feil, everything here is a cover but the translation to the C64 is pretty impressive. Get it from the demo section.

...and two Atari ST soundtracks:

Starglider (Atari ST,1986,Rainbird) - An early 3D space shooter developed by Argonaut, kinda like a precursor to their Star Fox games. The music is by Dave Lowe an has sampled vocals in the title song. Come to think of it, in terms of first game with chip-generated vocals this might actually predate Psycho Soldier.

Starglider 2 (Atari ST,1988,Rainbird) - The much-improved sequel, also with music by Dave Lowe. The game came with an audio tape with a longer version of the title music.

I hope they're paying you overtime for all these awesome releases. Thank you!

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by ruiner9 View Post
    I hope they're paying you overtime for all these awesome releases. Thank you!
    Thanks, this is going to be a very busy week.

That's actually all stuff that has accumulated over the last few weeks/months, I just never really had the time to finish any of these rips. And I spent pretty much all of Sunday watching gameplay videos in order to tag these games

Grand Shriner
    The Rowlands brothers made some of the technically most impressive games late in the C64's life cycle:

Creatures (C64,1990,Thalamus) - For the most part this is a fairly standard action platformer. The real star of the show, though, are the the torture stages at the end of each level where you have to rescue cute critters from their gruesome fate. The bouncy music is by Steve Rowlands.

Creatures 2: Torture Trouble (C64,1992,Thalamus) - [Hidden link. Register to see links.]: all the platforming stages have been removed in favor of more torture stages interspersed by various mini games and boss fights.

The Silkworm "series" is an odd one, starting with an obscure Tecmo arcade game that had some semi-popular computer ports by The Sales Curve. They then went on to create their own spin-off SWIV which had a few different iterations on computers and consoles.

Silkworm (Amiga,1989,Virgin) - Port of the arcade game with original music by Barry Leitch.

Silkworm (C64,1989,Virgin) - The C64 version of the same theme, also by Barry Leitch.

SWIV (Amiga,1991,Storm) - Silkworm IV, get it? The music is by Andrew Barnabas aka Nightshade.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

SWIV (C64,1991,Storm) - Martin Walker composed the C64 version which is completely different from the Amiga music and very reminiscent of his Armalyte soundtrack.

SWIV was popular enough to have a SNES sequel/remake wich was released as Super SWIV/Firepower 2000 with great music by David Whittaker. You can get this soundtrack from ruiner's thread.

And some other random stuff:

Adidas Championship Football (C64,1990,Ocean) - Pretty nice music by Matthew Cannon. I especially like the part with the "flute".

Adidas Championship Football (ZX Spectrum,1990,Ocean) - More Matthew Cannon flute action in the Spectrum version of this game.

One on One: Jordan vs. Bird (C64,1988,Electronic Arts) - A late Rob Hubbard soundtrack for the C64. Like most of his compositions for EA, this makes heavy use of samples.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] <--- only the first 30 seconds

SWIV was popular enough to have a SNES sequel/remake wich was released as Super SWIV/Firepower 2000 with great music by David Whittaker. You can get this soundtrack from ruiner's thread.
    Just for the sake of ease, here's the direct link to the SNES Firepower 2000/ Super SWIV soundtrack, in case anyone wants the whole collection.

Firepower 2000 (SNES - ruiner9).7z 59.2 MB

Great selections today, nx666!

Grand Shriner
    For today's update we have some more Amiga music by Karsten Obarski:

Sarcophaser (Amiga,1988,Rainbow Arts) - One of the early Obarski tracks

Dyter-07 (Amiga,1990,reLINE) - This is probably my favorite Obarski soundtrack on the Amiga. Chiptune-influenced music that sounds a bit like a Jochen Hippel score.

Centerbase: Science-Fiction Simulation (Amiga,1992,reLINE) - Stylistically similar to Dyter-07, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a video of this music on Youtube.

... the epic battle of the Tim(m)s:

Datastorm (Amiga,1989,Visionary Design) - This was a pretty good take on Defender with a great title theme composed by Timm Engels.

Puzznic (Amiga,1990,Ocean) - Port of Taito's arcade game with a new soundtrack composed by Tim Follin.

....and some DOS soundtracks:

One Must Fall 2097 (MS-DOS,1994,Epic) - Tracker techno by Kenny Chou in this DOS fighting game.

Fuzzy's World of Miniature Space Golf (MS-DOS,1995,Pixel Painters Corporation,OPL2) - Futuristic mini golf with awesome Adlib music. The game says 'Music by Loudness', but that is also the name of the music system so I still don't really know who actually composed this.

Amok (MS-DOS,1996,Scavenger) - 3D action game with a techno soundtrack by Jesper Kyd

Awesomeness all abound, nx666!!!