Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: nx666's Soundtrack-a-Ganza - Computer Edition (C64,Amiga,Atari,X68000,PC-88/98,etc.)

Grand Shriner
    Mona² Monarch Monarch (Windows,SC-88,CD Audio) - Falcom strategy game with great music. Included is the GM soundtrack recorded with an SC-88 as well as the CD Audio tracks.

Rock'n Shaolin: Legend of the Seven Paladins 3D (MS-DOS,SC-88) - This is a Doom clone developed by Taiwanese company Accend. This original version remained unfinished, but was later sold to a Korean publisher and released there under the name Euijeok: Im Kkeokjeong. Most of the music in this early version doesn't seem to be used - there is one tune that plays throughout the whole game - but maybe that did change for the one that got published. Anyway, this is pretty good stuff, most of it sounds like Doom music with Chinese influences.

Mario Teaches Typing 2 (Windows,SC-88) - MIDI arrangements of the Super Mario World soundtrack.

S.R.D. Mission (Arcade) - Only a handful of tracks in this Taito shmup.

Winter Olympiad 88 (C64) - Sports game with music by (mostly) Wally Beben.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Check out my podcast: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Valna (PC-8801,OPNA) - Action rpg with music by Manabu Saito, unlike some of his other stuff this is stylistically more in line with the (j)rpg soundtracks of that time.

Chatty (PC-8801,OPNA) - Also by Manabu Saito and somewhat more reminiscent of his music for Providence.

Division Guardian: Twinkle-Star / Bunretsu Shugoshin (PC-9801,OPNA) - Adult-themed visual novel with great music by Hiroaki Sano.

Front Page Sports: Trophy Bass 2 (Windows,SC-88) - Pretty awesome blues rock, I couldn't find composer information for this but it really sounds like this was done by Neal Grandstaff as well.

Extreme Assault (MS-DOS,SC-88,CD Audio) - 3D action game with bombastic orchestral music by Chris Hülsbeck and Fabian Del Priore. Included are both, the CD Audio and SC-88 version of the soundtrack.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KingTengu View Post
    I got some new arcade shmup game OST requests for you, nx666!!

- Thundercade (Despite being released by Taito, the game was actually developed by Seta, judging by their spritework, lol.)
    Do you know how Thundercade is actually supposed to sound like? The music seems to be completely broken in MAME (especially the in-game bgm), like the sound mix is off, i.e. some channels are way too quiet. I couldn't find any gameplay video using original hardware to confirm this though.

Quote Originally Posted by nx666 View Post
    Do you know how Thundercade is actually supposed to sound like? The music seems to be completely broken in MAME (especially the in-game bgm), like the sound mix is off, i.e. some channels are way too quiet. I couldn't find any gameplay video using original hardware to confirm this though.
    *sighs* Ah, well. I knew this would happen.

Just forget about it, then. The other two requests that you already did will do instead, but thanks anyways.

Grand Shriner
    2400 A.D. (C64) - A fairly obscure rpg developed by Origin, similar to their Ultima games but with a futuristic setting. The C64 version of this game was never released and was supposed to feature this awesome music by Jeroen Tel.

L.E.D. Storm (C64) - By Tim Follin. This is quite different from the Amiga version, the title track starts with the opening riff from "Smoke on the Water".

ISS: Incredible Shrinking Sphere (C64) - Nice title tune by Anthony Lees.

Beastlord (Amiga) - By Tim Bartlett. I always liked the Game Over and Ending tracks, two great guitar pieces similar to his Ork soundtrack.

Turbo Trax (Arcane) (Amiga) - There were two Turbo Trax games on the Amiga, this one here is the top-down racer released by Arcane. Pretty good mix of techno and rock with demo scene influences.

Falcom SC-88 MIDI Collection - This was released as an [Hidden link. Register to see links.] with arrangements of pieces from various Falcom games. The cd also contained a data track with MIDI files, not just for the tracks on the disc, but a few additional ones as well. My understanding is that all (?) of these arrangements were originally released on one of the various Falcom MIDI albums. This is the whole collection, recorded with an SC-88.

MegaRace (MS-DOS,OPL2) - Awesome electronic music by Stéphane Picq, it's a racing game, so this is mostly uptempo stuff. Easily one of my favorite Adlib soundtracks.

KGB (MS-DOS,OPL2) - Also by Stéphane Picq and also pretty good, this is more in line with his usual, somewhat esoteric style. There is some pretty interesting sound design, like the voices (on FM!) in the "Gorbi" track.

Thanks, nx666 for your hardwork. Seeing new supported platforms makes me want to request these:

Variable Geo II (PC-98)
    Ningyou Tsukai (Windows)
    WiBArm (MS-DOS)

Let me know if any of these can't be done. Thank you.
    -> [Hidden link. Register to see links.] <-

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1983parrothead View Post
    Thanks, nx666 for your hardwork. Seeing new supported platforms makes me want to request these:

Variable Geo II (PC-98)
    Ningyou Tsukai (Windows)
    WiBArm (MS-DOS)

Let me know if any of these can't be done. Thank you.
    I currently only take requests for DOS/Windows games if they have GM soundtracks. That's definitely not the case for Wibarm and I'm not sure if Ningyou Tsukai has one either. To find out, I would have to install that game first (in a VM) and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

You seem to like the Variable Geo soundtracks, V.G. Custom and Max both have pretty good GM music. Let me know if you want them and I'll add them to my list.

Understood. Please share them Variable Geo albums, too.

Hello, nx666! Got some more arcade requests for ya!!

- Guardian Storm (A Korean shmup that takes "inspiration" (if you want to call it that, lol) from Gunbird.)
    - Ryu Jin (Another shmup, the music has some interesting mix of instruments for such a shmup.)
    - Sly Spy (Also known as Secret Agent, the James Bond-esque action game. I've played this game lots of times, and the music never gets old, lol.)

Have a good week, nx666!!

Grand Shriner
    Variable Geo 2 (PC-9801,OPNA,SC-88) - Part 2 in this Giga series. I included the SC-88 version as well which sounds a bit better in spots.

Variable Geo Custom (Windows,CD Audio,SC-88) - This soundtrack is mostly new arrangements of the music from the first game. The CD audio tracks don't sound much different, maybe they were recorded with some sort of GM synth as well.

Check out my VGM Podcast - PixelTunes Radio! ruiner9's Avatar
    Variable Geo 2 (PC-9801,OPNA,SC-88) - Part 2 in this Giga series. I included the SC-88 version as well which sounds a bit better in spots.

Variable Geo Custom (Windows,CD Audio,SC-88) - This soundtrack is mostly new arrangements of the music from the first game. The CD audio tracks don't sound much different, maybe they were recorded with some sort of GM synth as well.
    So would you say the quality of these soundtracks is.... Variable?

Sorry, I had too.
    Visit my thread at [Hidden link. Register to see links.] for tons of goodies!

Grand Shriner
    Battlestorm (Amiga) - The regular tracks are already pretty good but the real star here is the CDTV soundtrack with its great 80s synth sound.

Variable Geo Max (Windows, SC-88) - Again, mostly remixes of tracks from the earlier games. Some good stuff.

Atomic Robo-Kid (C64) - A port of the Mechano Associates arcade soundtrack by Martin Walker.

Dragon Breed (C64) - This one was converted by Martin Walker as well. The ending tune is only included in its emulated form as I couldn't find an original recording for this track.

Citadel (C64) - For this game Martin Walker did most of the design, coding, and music himself. Pretty interesting concept that takes some cues from Paradroid. The music is very similar to his Armalyte soundtrack.

Sly Spy: Secret Agent (Arcade) - James Bond-inspired music in this Data East game. Composed by Azusa Hara and Hiroaki Yoshida.

Very good. Thanks nx666. Here are three more interesting arcade racing gamerip requests:

Lethal Crash Race / Bakuretsu Crash Race
    Great 1000 Mile Rally 1
    Great 1000 Mile Rally 2

Grand Shriner
    Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo (C64) - A game based on the Usagi Yojimbo comics with music by Neil Brennan.

Combat Crazy: Warbringer (C64) - Jeroen Tel soundtrack, the "Name Entry" music was also used in G.I. Hero.

Ryu Jin (Arcade) - Very unusual mix of techno, industrial, and metal; this actually sounds like it was written for an Amiga or DOS game. Pretty good.

CyberSpeed (Windows) - Awesome electronic music by Mark Knight. This game also had a Playstation release with the same soundtrack.

Games I won't be able to do:

Guardian Storm
    Great 1000 Mile Rally 1
    Great 1000 Mile Rally 2

Monopoly (Windows) - Mix of jazzy bar music and ragtime by Frank Klepacki. Some really good arrangements, this sort of music is a fairly good fit for GM. Recorded with a Roland SC-88.

Trophy Bass (Windows) - A handful of nice tunes with acoustic guitar. Recorded with a Roland SC-88.
    Hmm...I was lookin for more of that classic feel from when the games came out. They're nothing new that I already have now, but they're still decent tunes. In other words, the versions from back then are better than they are now. Thanks anyway for tryin, dood.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

My ultimate game soundtrack request: Master of Monsters: Disciples of Gaia (complete soundtrack) - Ongoing almost 20 years now, this was one of my favorite soundtracks growing up. If ANYONE can rip the entire soundtrack, which is about 30 tracks, I will be eternally grateful. Even though it would be a fleeting dream at this point...

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by aces4839 View Post
    Hmm...I was lookin for more of that classic feel from when the games came out. They're nothing new that I already have now, but they're still decent tunes. In other words, the versions from back then are better than they are now. Thanks anyway for tryin, dood.
    What kind of sound card did you have back then? This would have sounded very different if played on a Soundblaster, for example.

It's been a while since I requested some Amiga stuff, so let's remedy that (in this case, Amiga adaptations of classic shmups by Irem)!!

- Dragon Breed
    - R-Type
    - R-Type II

And that's all I have to say about that (Forrest Gump rep, yo!!)

What kind of sound card did you have back then? This would have sounded very different if played on a Soundblaster, for example.
    It's been too long, so I don't remember. I think Soundblaster rings a bell a bit, though.

Thanks for keeping this going! I've got three requests if you have the time:

Iron Lord (C64, Jeroen Tel)
    Future Games (ZX Spectrum, Tim Follin)
    Chronos (ZX Spectrum, Tim Follin)

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    Future Games (ZX Spectrum, Tim Follin)
    Chronos (ZX Spectrum, Tim Follin)
    I hope you know what you are doing

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KingTengu View Post
    It's been a while since I requested some Amiga stuff, so let's remedy that (in this case, Amiga adaptations of classic shmups by Irem)!!

- Dragon Breed
    - R-Type
    - R-Type II

And that's all I have to say about that (Forrest Gump rep, yo!!)
    R-Type is already in the OP, but I'll do the other two.

Check out my VGM Podcast - PixelTunes Radio! ruiner9's Avatar
    Making me drool with anticipation?

Haha, I know I'm tired of constantly pulling up youtube to listen to them. :P I understand if ripping them would be a huge pain in the butt.

I don't know much about how audio technology has evolved, but it seems to me that beginning around Agent X2 Follin had relatively better technology to work with (AY-3-8910?) and Spectrum music began to resemble SID standards more and more from that point forward. His early works on the system feel like they're coming from a much more primitive starting block, and he managed to twist that into this sort of wall-of-sound, shoegaze/glitch beat miracle that predated any sort of similar sounds emerging in mainstream music. Like, Future Games would have been praised as innovative in the mid-90s let alone 1986. Fascinating stuff.

Grand Shriner
    I don't know much about how audio technology has evolved, but it seems to me that beginning around Agent X2 Follin had relatively better technology to work with (AY-3-8910?) and Spectrum music began to resemble SID standards more and more from that point forward.
    The original ZX Spectrum only had a simple beeper, but the later models (starting with the ZX Spectrum 128 released in late '85) came with an AY-8912. I think from around 1987 onwards most soundtracks were written primarily for the AY chip.

I'm not actually sure who was first to do multi-channel music on the Spectrum. There are several soundtracks from composers like Fred Gray, Keith Tinman, Tim Follin all released in late '85/early '86 that make use of that. But then again, similar techniques were used on other computers before that.

His early works on the system feel like they're coming from a much more primitive starting block, and he managed to twist that into this sort of wall-of-sound, shoegaze/glitch beat miracle that predated any sort of similar sounds emerging in mainstream music. Like, Future Games would have been praised as innovative in the mid-90s let alone 1986. Fascinating stuff.
    It's easy to forget, but this is essentially electronic music that predates some of the popular genres of today. Would be interesting to attempt to retroactively classify some of these early soundtracks, stuff like [Hidden link. Register to see links.] or [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ruiner9 View Post
    Making me drool with anticipation?
    It's like Beethoven's 5th played on a vacuum cleaner.

Grand Shriner
    Lots of arrangements and ports in today's update:

Shadow of the Beast (FM Towns) - Awesome CD arrangements of the classic Amiga music. This soundtrack was also used for the PC Engine CD version.

R-Type II (Amiga) - Conversion of the arcade soundtrack by Martin Walker.

Dragon Breed (Amiga) - ditto

Athena (C64) - Martin Galway did the C64 version of the SNK arcade music.

Miami Vice (C64) - Two tracks by Martin Galway that are arrangements of music from the tv series.

Iron Lord (C64) - Defender of the Crown-style game. Jeroen Tel did the soundtrack which is partially based on Renaissance-era music.

Onion Kid
    Thanks for all those Amiga ones, been after some of them for ages. So many memories.

Any chance of James Pond 1, Alien Breed 3D & Monkey Island 2 all on Amiga?

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Yengoshi View Post
    Thanks for all those Amiga ones, been after some of them for ages. So many memories.

Any chance of James Pond 1, Alien Breed 3D & Monkey Island 2 all on Amiga?
    You can get the Monkey Island 2 soundtrack [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. I'll look into the other two.