Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite albums you bought this year.

Your favorite albums you bought this year.

Yea so make a top 5 of your favorite albums you bought this year and add a little bt for why and the such. (P.S. The album you bought doesn't necisarily have been released in 2004 ).

1). Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen

Should a friend not have mentioned this band and recommended me to listen to it, it wouldn't have been in my list. I love their style, the have a very unique style that is unlike all the mainstream stuff nowadays. But the thing that really does it for me are the lyrics, they really move me alot. And the greatest song on the album would be I Won't See You Tonight, I am so inlove with this song that I listend to it atleast 5 times a day.

2). Moonspell - The Antidote

This one would have been on the first position, because they are great. I randomly downloaded a song of theirs and loved it. I went to buy two albums of them (also the Butterfly Effect). They are kinda darkish which I can apreciate and their lyrics are generally good. The best thing however is the music itself, I can listen to hours and never get bored with them.

3). Therion - Sirius-B/Lemuria (Deluxe double album )

In my opinion, symphonic metal at it's best. They have complete choirs and everything that goes with it. The lyrics are very mythologically based which fits their style of their music. They make very varied songs so it doesn't tend to get boring. I own several albums but these ones are by far their best.

4). A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step

It's all about the lyrics, which are nothing short from awesome. And the music goes with it nicely. I'm waiting for their new album which I haven't seen around here yet but I'm bound to get it. Their lyrics are deep and brilliantly chosen in words.

5). Lacuna Coil - Comalies

They're not widely known, which is good. The leading singer has an utterly lovable voice and their music is generally good. But again it's the lyrics that do it for me, I can really relate them with myself. Which (for me) is an important/good thing. But that's just how I am. They do have a few great songs that stand above all of their others but generally they're a great band.

Prodigy - Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned

Slipknot - Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses

Marilyn Manson - Lest We Forget

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Hidden Treasures (Bonus Audio Disc With DVD)

Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could've Been (DVD)

On a forgotten page of eternity
    There lies a land embraced by mighty gods.
    Her name... Eorzea.

Edna: Okay:

Björk - Medúlla. One little Indian 2004.
    Wow I first got acquainted with the strange universe of Björk back
    in 1997 with the song "Bachelorette" and since then I've bought all of
    her old and new stuff. I put away Björk a year ago and got hooked on
    her again with this new release called "Medúlla."

Grace Jones - Inside Story. EMI Gold 2004.
    I actually find it a little amusing that Grace’s Island records are considered the best, when my two favorite records are “Inside Story” and “Bulletproof Heart.”
    Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore “Warm Leatherette”, “Nightclubbing” and “Living My Life” but I also consider “Inside Story” and “Bulletproof Heart” to be her most personal to date, the reason is simple, on the two aforementioned albums Grace had a lot more room to develop and space to find her own sound through song writing and eventually co-producing the albums.
    Inside Story followed after her powerhouse single “Slave to the Rhythm” and it was something new, the first single is the infectious “I’m Not Perfect (But I’m Perfect For You)” which is a very catchy tune, “Victor Should Have Been a Jazz Musician” is the second single and it was something completely new for Grace… the theme: Jazz.
    The song is extremely good, the sound, the vocal and the production; I really consider this a Grace Jones classic. Besides the two main singles “Inside Story” has many shining moments like the electro-dance tune of “Party Girl” and “Crush” to the mind-blowing struggle of “White Collar Crime.”
    A great example the personal influence is the song “Scary But Fun” in which Grace shares her near-death experience while water-skiing; the song is about life, taking chances and living without any regrets, most personal indeed.
    Even most pessimistic reviewer can’t deny a fate of pasture when it comes to songs like “Barefoot in Beverly Hills” which is a lush almost new-age like tune, or even the cheesy story-line of Chan’s journey to Shanghai in “Chan Hitchhikes to Shanghai” most likely to be ignored? I think not.
    When it all comes down to it “Inside Story” just might be her most appealing piece of work; while “Portfolio” created the basic rhythm of Jones’ structure “Inside Story” evolved the fast rhythm of Grace’s demonic charge, stunning; more than anything and most unlikely to ever be matched.

Dracula - Original Soundtrack 1992. Sony Entertainment 1992.
    The one thing that strikes me the most when I’m listening to this soundtrack is the amazing use of ”instrumental” emotion.
    Wojciech Kilar has a very special and rare ability to use an instrument to grand effect, he knows how to use an instrument emotionally a great example of this can be heard on ”Love Remembered” where he manages to create an emotional state with the bare help of a simple flute. Its very rare for a composer to capture the very essence of the instrument itself, and what’s even more rare is how he manages to compile an album filled with various emotions like: sadness, loneliness, love and lust; in my opinion no one has ever been able to grab me the way that this soundtrack has.
    The scale of greatness is very high, take for example the opening song ”The Beginning” it starts out very slow and paced, but then it erupts into a full-blown orchestra on the verve of total submission; it then slows down when demonic voices comes through…but only to be over shined by the angelic voice of the dawn.
    It’s very obvious what Wojciech Kilar tried to accomplish with this score, the wanted to make a soundtrack that is capable of adapting every kind of emotion from the aggressive, yet gentle ”Vampire Hunters” to the heart drenching pain of ”Love Eternal.”
    As I stated above; its very rare for a composer to capture the very heart of a movie or a play, the movie is also going to reflect something else while the music usually moves the opposite direction, that is not the case in this soundtrack, the soundtrack is a sound version of the movie, practically an exact copy of the film.
    The movie was and still is the best adaptation of the book, it manages to capture the very soul of the book, and that’s why Gary Oldman gave the performance of his life.
    Gary Oldman managed to capture the very soul of Dracula (not Vlad Tepes).
    The order of the Dracul, a Dragon, Vlad Tepes the son of Dracul and the heir to his kingdom was in life a very brutal and mean spirited person, although to many his considered to be a Saint that saved Romania from the Turks and Islam.
    The soundtrack is one of those ”one of a kind” masterpieces that probably never will come again, Wojciech Kilar manages to capture and explore the ”Dracula” theme to the fullest.
    And now I want to highlight some of the songs, first up is the heartbreakingly wonderful ”Mina’s Photo” the songs knows exactly how to compliment Wynona’s picture perfectly, and its heartbreaking when you see Dracula shedding a tear when he sees the picture…legendary stuff I tell you. ”Lucy’s Party” is another example of the amazing capability the soundtrack has, the song displays a very frightening side of the outspoken Lucy.
    ”Ascension” the moment where God frees Dracula from his curse, you see Mina holding him in his arms as he seeks redemption towards the ceiling, unbearable to witness this scene…it just breaks my heart.
    The soundtrack is my personal favorite of all time as it has everything a real soundtrack should have, no other soundtrack has managed to capture me the way that this has.

Grace Jones - Bulletproof Heart. EMI Gold 2004.
    The eighties were without doubts the highlights of Grace Jones’ career.
    After her major hit “Slave to the Rhythm” in 1985 she left Island Records to pursue new paths,
    She hooked up with Niles Rogers and then in 1986 released “Inside Story” which included the hit song “I’m Not Perfect (But I’m Not Perfect for You) plus two minor hits “Party Girl” and “Victor Should Have Been a Jazz Musician.”

In 1989 came “Bulletproof Heart” and even though it failed to chart, it still remains her most personal album to date.
    On the album she deals with things like; heart brake, loneliness and abuse.
    The album is a rather drastically change from her glory days at Island with Robbie and Sly; she still manages to keep the atmosphere dark and futuristic but the sound quality of the music is not as good.
    Not to say the least; the album is still one of my favorite, songs like “Driving Satisfaction” and “Bulletproof Heart” are all great and tunes the like chilling “Kicked Around” in which Grace handles her most vocally challenged song since “La Vie en Rose” are all fantastic.
    The album is very dark, the very heart of darkness can be found in songs like; “Seduction Surrender”, “Crack Attack” and “On My Way” but it’s great nonetheless.
    Whenever I listen to the album I always picture a broken down futuristic city; with everything destroyed, the sound and instruments used on this album are far ahead of their time; not to say very heart throbbing.

Some may disregard this album and say its Grace worst; but not me, is it cheesy? Yes, is it dark? Yes, is it worth the money and time? Definitely.
    So if you like cheesy and dark futuristic settings this is the album to get, if you’ve ever dreamed of how music would sound like in 2056 then here’s your answer.
    Ironically…with its futuristic sound…no one could imagine that this album is actually 15 years old.
    Alongside Inside Story; Bulletproof Heart remains my favorite record – not including Slave to the Rhythm which I don’t consider a full-length album.

A Perfect Circle - Emotive

Slipknot - The Subliminal Verses Vol. 3

System of a Down - Toxicity

I would write something about them but... I don't want to.

Realm of Eternal Rain Freya_theratfacedKnight's Avatar
    lets see here....

1.soad-self titled (love Sugar)

2.soad-toxicity (gr8 album!!)

3.NOFX-War on Errorism

4.Mc fly- Room on the 3rd Floor

5.Incubes- A crow left of the Murder

i just love them all

Top 5 for thie year?

Um.

Jeez, that's hard. :|

Belle & Sebastian- If You're Feeling Sinister
    The Fall - The Wonderful & Frightening World Of The Fall
    Stone Roses - The Very Best Of The Stone Roses
    The Smiths
    Talking Heads - The name of this band is Talking Heads

pretty much. :/ but I got so many CDs this year I can barely remember, and I like a LOT of them, quite a lot.

I'm excited to be here 40k Tarnag Dark Assasin's Avatar
    1. Disturbed-The Sickness: VERY Psychotic
    2. Disturbed-Belive: Sounds the best
    3. AC/DC-Back in Black: GOTTA LOVE THE CLASSICS
    4. Van Halen-For unlawful carnal knowledge: His Guitar is insane
    5. Godsmack-Awake: Always good

HOLY SHIT!
    Because in the end, it's avtomat kalashnikov that wins.

Marceline
    This is really hard. Like Duo said, I got a lot of awesome cds this year- it was a pretty good year, music wise.

Belle and Sebastian: Dear Catastrophe Waitress
    Lovage: Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By
    Metric: Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?
    Morrissey: You Are the Quarry
    Modest Mouse: Good News For People Who Loved Bad News

Strangely enough, only two of those came out this year. But at any rate, I'm going to stop typing, because I'm thinking of things that I left out.

discorporate iconoclastic pastry's Avatar
    The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

The Microphones - It Was Hot, We Stayed in the Water

Leonard Cohen - Dear Heather

Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand

clothes=fun
    The Beatles- Number One Greatest Hits
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Not my fault! Monkey bastard hands! Dr. Lucien Sanchez's Avatar
    Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
    Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
    Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind
    David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    Blur - Best Of

Shriner
    the Elf soundtrack....

Placebo : Once More With Feeling

Resident Evil Apocalypse Soundtrack

HIM : And Love Said No

The Crystal Method : Legion of Boom

Muse : Absolution
    What's that behind you?

Children Of Bodom - Hatebreeder

Absolutely fantastic album! While not as good as Follow The Reaper (which I purchased last year), it's still a phoenomenal record. Alexi speeding along at an almost inhuman rate, being matched only by Janne and his keyboard. When these guys go at it, you have some of the most amazing guitar/keyboard solo battles to be found.

Favourite track: Towards Dead End

Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm

Power metal at it's best! These guys define it and leave everyone else struggling to catch up. The guitar duo of Herman Li and Sam Totman, cannot be matched, imo. The only two who can get anywhere near them would be Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala of Children Of Bodom/Sinergy. From the ZP's hallowed vocals sweeping the land through to Adrian's 6 string bass madness, and not forgetting the amazing guitarwork of one, Herman Li. Li is one of the most amazing guitarist I've ever heard, if not the best.

Favourite track: My Spirrit Will Go On

The Black Mages - [self titled]

Nobuo Uematsu. Power metal. Match made in heaven. When you add my favourite composer and favourite style of music, you get a big fucking grin on my face. We've all played (if not, wtf are you doing on this forum =D) and so are aware of the genius of Uematsu-san. It's amazing hearing him blast along on keyboard at 100mph. Ph34r the l33tness!

Favourite track: Those Who FIght Further (FFVII Boss Battle Theme)

Insomnium - In the Halls of the Awaiting

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. A fine mix of heaviness and melody, melancolic, yet somehow raising the spirit. Next year I shall be writing about their sophomore effort, Since the Day It All Came Down, I'm going crazy looking for it in stores.

Favourite track: The Elder

Emperor - Prometheus

Black metal perfection. Always taking black metal to new heights, Emperor's key duo, Ishsahn/Vegard Tveitan and Samoth/Thomas Haugen fuse their entirely different views of metal together producing an album so groundbreaking, with Emperor's split, the likes of which shall never be seen again.

Favourite track: In the Wordless Chamber

Gundam Wing OST- (Love Two-Mix!!)
    Gundam Seed OST- (Love T.M. Revolution!)
    Escaflowne OST- (Maaya Sakamoto and Yoko Kanno!!)
    Chobits OST 1- (I have the manga and the anime...so why not the soundtrack?)
    Final Fantasy Unlimited OST- (Final Fantasy Music...gotta have it.)
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] l [Hidden link. Register to see links.] l [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Newest: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] l [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by Jolie
    Placebo : Once More With Feeling

Resident Evil Apocalypse Soundtrack

HIM : And Love Said No

The Crystal Method : Legion of Boom

Muse : Absolution

You have excellent taste

orochimaur princess loves my avatar
    I dont know my top 5, but my favorite by far is the buffy the vampire slayer once more with feeling original cast recording. it has inspired me to take on musical theatre.

I don't buy many CDs, but they're all pretty fantastic.

1. U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

A great album, with a great range of different U2 styles - it has the old-school rock stylings of Vertigo to the Bullet the Blue Sky-ish 'Love and Peace... or else' to some of their newer stuff. Probably not Bono's best album - he doesn't really hit the range he has on some of his older stuff or recently, Electrical Storm, but The Edge goes off. This entire album probably contains his best guitar riffs ever.

Larry and Adam are, as ever, in the background.

2. Evanescence - Fallen

I really, really want to meet Amy Lee. The lyrics in her songs describe things about my life in ways i've never considered, and there are other parts where she's confused about something that I think I know the answer too. Songs like 'Hello' stand out to me as representing some struggles i've had in my life recently. On the other hand, 'Torniquet' shows a spiritual struggle that I have had before and have overcome, so i'd really like to know the story behind it.

3. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

I finally got their first album. I think all of it's great.

That's all I can remember ;_;

Xbox Live and PlayStation Network ID: RaidenexS
    Steam Community ID: Raidensoul

orochimaur princess loves my avatar
    **Lifts up shirt and screams "Woo Linkin Park!"**

I've heard a lot more music this year than others, but I only bought a few CDs. My only real find for this year was Onitsuka Chihiro. Her "Sugar High" album is probably my favorite for the year. Yup.
    ON OCTOBER 26th, 2009, FFSHRINE FORUM MEMBER "budarc" POSTED A MOVIE REVIEW THREAD IN GENERAL DISCUSSION INSTEAD OF IN THE TV/MOVIE FORUM WHERE IT BELONGED..

formerly chorns!!
    DJ DOC-Sex and Love, Happiness
    Jinusean-4th
    Drunken Tiger-One is Not a Lonely Word
    BoA-Merri-Chri(Single)
    Koyote-7th
    Beni Arashiro-Harmony
    It's over 9,000!

Keane - Hopes and Fears
    The Zutons - Who Killed The Zutons
    Franz Ferdinand - (self titled)
    Slipknot - Vol. 3 The Subliminal Verses
    Dogs Die In Hot Cars - Please Describe Yourself

Yes, I'm ancient! Aerith Gainsborough's Avatar
    AnimeNation 1,2 + 4
    Hero Soundtrack
    Last Samurai Soundtrack
    some FF music

Thanks to Lunatic HighVII for this lovely sig.

My Forum Family:
    Husband: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Daughter: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Son: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Brother: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Christian Death - Another round of Jesus
    Rotting Christ - Raping humanity with pride
    Mayhem - Chimera
    Shadows Fall - the War Within
    Led Zeppelin - DVD
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Blues-Rock - Just trying to get some hard working musicians attention.

I did'nt buy alot of CD's this year but here's a few I bought:

Franz Ferdinand-(self-titled) I like how their band has a retro rhythm in their songs. Very talented.

Linkin Park-Meteora- I think the drumming in this CD is alot better than the first one. I equally like this CD the same way I like the Hybrid Theory."Breaking the Habit" and "Easier To Run are the best tracks on the CD IMO.

Bjork-Medulla This is the second Bjork CD I bought. I bought it after I saw her perform Oceania at the Olympics and it's a great listen on the ears.

I also made this Cd with downloaded songs of Megadeath and Judas Priest, and I'm glad with the results I got.
    Tch, Fine--Zell Dincht of FFVIII