Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Official Star Trek Thread v2.0

The distribution model is something different, and yes, that really sucks, but the bright side of this is the fact that this new series isn't anymore dependent on that awful Nielsen rating, where low ratings, even if the shows are of good quality, oftentimes will lead to premature cancellations (see "ST Enterprise", 2005!). Within a paid streaming service, the writers are more free in their creative choices and don't have to find the lowest common denominator, to please the studio bosses and guarantee higher ratings with more sex, more action, and less quality scripts. Besides, this new show, with that kind of limited access for million people all over the world, will be the most pirated tv show in the history of the internet. Pirates always had their own kind of "distribution model".

Those are valid points soundtrekker.

Some of these protests indicate that some of my wonderful compadres have the mistaken impression that something besides PROFIT is behind the decisions.

It's all about money. In the same way that [B][I]Star Trek[B][I] was originally intended to be revived to help launch a Paramount 4th TV network (circa 1976), this new series is intended to draw bucks to a new service.

They don't care about childhood memories, except to exploit them. The said fact is that no matter how angrily I might protest, the people than own the property OWN THE PROPERTY and will do what they think will make money.

As I've told my friends in the Yahoo! Man from U.N.C.L.E. group, No matter what -- your memories can stay happy!

Mark
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by sorei View Post
    i don't care
    i am happy a new trek series is coming, i will love it, no matter what!!!
    Then you don't really give a shit about Star Trek. I mean, if the brand logo is all that matters to you... that's just not what being a fan is.

Though I don't blame you for being like that. You're just a victim of a society OBSESSED with merchandise. :\

Quote Originally Posted by msuperfan View Post
    They don't care about childhood memories, except to exploit them. The said fact is that no matter how angrily I might protest, the people than own the property OWN THE PROPERTY and will do what they think will make money.
    And that's the thing. The best way to protest against something is to simply not spend money on it.

As I've told my friends in the Yahoo! Man from U.N.C.L.E. group, No matter what -- your memories can stay happy!
    Yeah, but then a show dies with the fans, being unable to generate new ones as it's being suppressed by a reboot.

Intergalactic coffee-addicted Counselor sorei's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComicsJoe View Post
    Then you don't really give a shit about Star Trek. I mean, if the brand logo is all that matters to you... that's just not what being a fan is.

Though I don't blame you for being like that. You're just a victim of a society OBSESSED with merchandise. :\
    so, maybe i should say thx for not blaming me, then.
    IDIC.
    That is not what a fan is, well, you seem to have a universal definition then?

I am 50 years old, i have been a trek fan ever since i can THINK, but well, maybe i do not fit your definition of fanhood: i can live with that, too, I guess. As I said, IDIC.

I am well aware and I understand your criticism. My loving trek just goes beyond that. I am not willing to let anyone or any institution spoil that for me.
    I (may) disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (E.B. Hall)
    You are only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it... (Robin Williams)
    Ever tried, ever failed, no matter. Try again, fail again, fail better.(Samuel Beckett)

Dead link? PM me please.
    nmr unless stated, so it is always thx to the original uploader!

Neg
    Each Fan Is A Fan, In Their Own Way.
    There Is No Definition To Say. Right He/She Likes It They Are A Fan. He/She Likes All But The Deep Space Nine. Not A Fan.

Pointless Everyone Is A Fan Of Something, Becuase They Like It None the Less.

I Am A Fan Of Star Trek, But Did Not Enjoy The Animated Series... That Makes Me No Less A Fan Than Sorei Because She Like The Whole franchise.

Anyway.
    I Look Forward to The Prospect Of A New Series, Heck We Need One, Its Mad to Have TV With No Star Trek!, But I Will Wait Until I See The Series To Say Wether I Like As Much As The Others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gold View Post
    Each Fan Is A Fan, In Their Own Way.
    There Is No Definition To Say. Right He/She Likes It They Are A Fan. He/She Likes All But The Deep Space Nine. Not A Fan.

Pointless Everyone Is A Fan Of Something, Becuase They Like It None the Less.

I Am A Fan Of Star Trek, But Did Not Enjoy The Animated Series... That Makes Me No Less A Fan Than Sorei Because She Like The Whole franchise.

Anyway.
    I Look Forward to The Prospect Of A New Series, Heck We Need One, Its Mad to Have TV With No Star Trek!, But I Will Wait Until I See The Series To Say Wether I Like As Much As The Others.

Haven S05E23:

and here comes

William Shatner....

Neg
    I Actually Watched A Shatner Star Trek Today,

"I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!"

"I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!"
    "The Enemy Within" - a good choice, one of the season one highlights, and an all-time trek classic! Shatner playing bad guy is always something to behold, and he does it so well.
    Last edited by soundtrekker; 12-04-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Neg
    Its one of my favs, season 1 had some classic and great episodes.

"I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!"
    His performance in "Enemy" reminds me a lot of his terrific performance in Roger Corman's "The Intruder", a movie I can recommend absolutely, not only because the Shat is in it, but because it's relevant, even today. (on youtube, look for "The Intruder 1961")
    Last edited by soundtrekker; 12-04-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Yup, to those of us who believe in original sin, the "Evil Twin" sometimes looks out at us from the mirror.

Of course, I hopes he never wears makeup quite that deep ...

Mark

what's that with , besides the new one star trek beyond, about star trek progeny? another fan-project? does anybody know?

It appears I had the same brilliant idea as Zoran, only a few hours later. I too started a new ST thread, sending invitations to many of you.

Let's stay here instead!

Here's my trivia question, from that thread's first post:

Last night I watched a 1970s TV-movie that had the highest ratings of its time, and three of its actors (all male) had been guest stars in original STAR TREK episodes. This TV-movie later became a series.

Can you name it, and the three TREK guest stars?

Mark

The Night Stalker (1971)

This was a pilot #1 of 2 for the future hit show called Kolchack: The Night Stalker

Starring:
    Stanley Adams - the freeloading prospector in "The Trouble With Tribbles"
    Barry Atwater - Surak in "The Savage Curtain"
    Elisha Cook, Jr - Samuel T. Cogley in "Court Martial"

Full disclosure:
    I own the TOS on DVD
    I also own both the Kolchak pilots and the original series on DVD

Now, what did I win??

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by soundtrekker View Post
    That was not easy, but the hint was helpful!

The movie is:
    Spoiler!

The three trek guest actors are:
    Spoiler!

damn!

Darth sez: Good answer!

I should have figured that somebody would have come up with the answer after 6 or 7 months.

Whatever.

"We come in peace ... shoot to kill!"

Can you name this brief quotation?

Mark

"We come in peace ... shoot to kill!"

Can you name this brief quotation?

Mark
    Spoiler!

You're just too good, Squire! I guess we'll have to ban you!

[That was a JOKE! [Hidden link. Register to see links.].]

Mark

You're just too good, Squire! I guess we'll have to ban you!

[That was a JOKE! [Hidden link. Register to see links.].]

Mark
    You can't ban me, I would always return. As you should know, my instrumentality is unbreakable.

Now, you will behave yourself hereafter, won't you? Or I shall be very, very angry.

i just recently noticed, patrick stewart has done the original "eleventh hour" in the uk, just four episodes, in 2006.
    Good episodes, of course.
    They made it so.

Quote Originally Posted by sorei View Post
    i just recently noticed, patrick stewart has done the original "eleventh hour" in the uk, just four episodes, in 2006.
    Good episodes, of course.
    They made it so.

"How did they find out, Lieutenant?"

@soundtrekker

I know I am biased.
    But it was good, wasn't it?
    I liked it...

Sorei, you are a Patrick Stewart fangirl, that's for sure!

But most of his acting roles are quite good, including this. He has a special aura and depth in his performance.

But most of his acting roles are quite good, including this. He has a special aura and depth in his performance.
    Or as we say in Oklahoma while walking across the barnyard, "Don't step in the Special Aura and Depth!" That stuff is always hard to scrape off your boots.

Mark

I was just browsing bluray.com for some deals to Canada and saw this posted there:

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
    Canadian distribution, usually the same as US distributions. Rarely releases are different.
    On some sites, I've not seen any reviews claiming the CDN discs to differ from other country discs. For bluray, at least.

I know there's different releases entirely for DVD, including the Director's Cut.
    Which the bluray's didn't get but TWOK is getting a DC soon, but no the TV cut.

Comments say it's just a slimmer repackaging of the 2009 set, which I saw in stores but couldn't afford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon comment
    This appears to be a repackaging of the 2009 set, which had the theatrical versions of the six Star Trek movies (1979-1991). The only difference seems to be that this set is a little more compact, and it doesn't have the captain's summit bonus disc.
    One other comment also says there's scenes missing:
    I am about half way through the first one and there are numerous deleted scenes ...
    1) Kirk's first arrival to the bridge, as he leaves to tell Captain Decker he is taking over, the whole scene with the bridge crew and U'hura telling them their odds of returning have just increased; all gone.
    2) The scene with Dr. McCoy arriving by beam up, the scene with Kirk arriving in the transporter room and talking with the ensign that had just beamed in and then Kirk calling over to Star Fleet to beam the officer over now; all gone.
    3) The bridge scene with the first high energy plasma attack on the bridge and the arrival of the medical team to help Chekhov; all gone.
    Is it possible the commenter is just talking about the DC scenes but wording them all weird?

I really want to get this set and then the TNG set later for the complete series. I already have The Compendium for the reboot series.
    The white covers would have been neat to collect.
    But if this is all of it without the Captain's Summit, I think I ought to jump on this sweet, sweet deal.

Anyone see this compact cover set in US? Or anyone from Canada get it just recently?
    I just might order it.

I think Paramount uses the same transfers for all discs around the globe, no?

---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

More repackaging?

Star Trek: The Original Series: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)

---------- Post added at 05:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Yeah, sifting through the bluray forum, it's just a slim repack.

Same thing they're doing with The Dark Knight Trilogy (Ultimate Collector's Edition) with a 6th disc.

I might actually wait on the movie sets. If TWOK inspires the others to get 4K remasters, I might as well wait for those.

And get that repackaging of TOS bluray set.
    $13 cheaper, plus when that price goes back up, a lot cheaper!