Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Star Trek Thread v2.0

Neg
    One Of Robert Picardo's Finest Performences Along With "Flesh & Blood" 2 Parter

Intergalactic coffee-addicted Counselor sorei's Avatar
    There was the voyager episode where the doctor found himself in a museum. People there had developed their own version of history and he tried to work with those people in order to make them see that thee might be other sides of the story. I I forgot the episode's title but it was another really good one....
    I (may) disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (E.B. Hall)
    You are only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it... (Robin Williams)
    Ever tried, ever failed, no matter. Try again, fail again, fail better.(Samuel Beckett)

Dead link? PM me please.
    nmr unless stated, so it is always thx to the original uploader!

Neg
    Quote Originally Posted by sorei View Post
    There was the voyager episode where the doctor found himself in a museum. People there had developed their own version of history and he tried to work with those people in order to make them see that thee might be other sides of the story. I I forgot the episode's title but it was another really good one....
    Season 4: Living Witness. Yes A Wonderful Episode!

I love stories like this, but no need for a lot of action. not that I cannot appreciate action...

THX FOR THE Title, and Mr. Gold!

Neg
    I love stories like this, but no need for a lot of action. not that I cannot appreciate action...

THX FOR THE Title, and Mr. Gold!
    Yes, A Bit Of Action Sometimes An Example the Shoot off in Some Episodes And Example Being Flesh And Blood Where The Hirogen Are Beamed to the Planet And The Holograms Hunt them As Prey But. Some Epsiodes Based On Just Talk Is Goo! Like An Example "Times Arrow In TNG"

Quote Originally Posted by soundtrekker View Post
    That was not easy, but the hint was helpful!

The movie is:
    Spoiler!

The three trek guest actors are:
    Spoiler!

Hooray to the Squire for his correct answer!

Squire, your prize is one pickled Tribble, to be collected at your leisure from the grain vault at Space Station K-7. Bravo!

Mark
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Neg
    Quote Originally Posted by msuperfan View Post
    Squire, your prize is one pickled Tribble, to be collected at your leisure from the grain vault at Space Station K-7. Bravo!

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Watching Some Of TOS Specifically The 2 Parter, The Menagerie

Boldly going nowhere fast chiops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatKenji View Post
    Btw why Mr. William Taylor got banned D:?
    Resistance is futile! He got assimilated.
    BOLDLY GOING NOWHERE FAST!

Hooray to the Squire for his correct answer!

Mark
    [in Trelane's high-pitched, annoying childish voice:]

Why? Why just ONE? I want THREE!! Look, I was the ONLY one who knew it! I want THREE! I want them NOW!!

Research & Development WayneTech's Avatar
    Hurrah, a corner for Trekkies! *pulls up a chair* Coffee... black.

As I mentioned someplace else here last week, I'm currently re-watching Star Trek: Voyager on DVD, after going through all of Star Trek: Enterprise and then Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-Ray earlier this year. I've been watching since I was knee-high and have done everything save buying a uniform (spent far too much money on Diamond Select starships, written my own series, hunted down rare soundtracks and gone to multiple exhibitions).

Grew up with The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager on the BBC, 6pm Wednesdays and Sundays. Caught up with the original series years later.

While I adore the cinematic adventures of Kirk & Co. there's a downside to being a child of the late 80s / early 90s in that (like older Doctor Who episodes) my interest in the television show with the shaky walls, bright uniforms and terrible special effects started to vanish as I grew up and my suspension of disbelief started to shrink. I respect the original series for the groundwork it created but it was a product of the 1960s and I'm unfortunately not (although I like the 1966 Batman, but that's because it's intentionally ridiculous and not trying to be a serious drama). Fortunately, I adore Star Trek: The Motion Picture and everything that came afterwards, so the impact of things like Spock turning up in "Unification" [TNG] and Scotty in "Relics" [TNG] isn't lost on me.

I respect the 2009 reboot and Star Trek Into Darkness, but view them as what they are, namely a different take. If it had destroyed the "prime" timeline, I'd have been a bit more disappointed but I can count myself a fan of Pine, Quinto and the others because they're off, doing their own thing, and they're fun to drop by and see occasionally (and say what you will about the films, really do, but they're consistently funny and spectacular, as most modern blockbusters are).

The further I've gone, the less I've enjoyed Deep Space Nine and it's currently the only show / crew I own nothing about (save the moments Bashir and Quark popped up in other shows). I respect the show for what it did and the different direction it explored but I never connected with the overarching religious themes and many of the characters had backgrounds and motivations that I couldn't connect with. A sucker for eye candy, however, some of the battle sequences are favourite YouTube clips of mine (although I do understand, and sometimes sympathise with, the argument that Star Trek shouldn't be a war... conflicts like the Temporal Cold War and the Borg / Species 8472 war I liked because the starships were unwilling participants). The one moment I do strongly disagree with was Sisko lying to the Romulans to bring them into the Dominion War. Some of my "hero" captains have had darker moments (hey, makes good telly) but none of them have ever committed what I'd call a war crime (and what made it worse was that Sisko had multiple chances to do the right thing and walk away, but he didn't... he looked straight at the screen and said "I can live with it" and, well, nope... just nope). I'm not here to make enemies, however, and totally respect that some fans absolutely adore that episode and that moment, and that's great. It'd be boring if everybody were the same!

In an age where television shows, films and videogames are being pushed into darker territory (the "What Does It All Mean?!" syndrome) I think it's vital to hold Star Trek dear and to keep watching the shows (even if I've seen them many times before) because, nine times out of ten, they overcome things and end with a nice positive note. Things can get better. People can be included. Tolerance will happen. Problems can be overcome with logic and reason and peace and understanding. And yet, the diversity of the shows is incredible, because you also get episodes like "Lower Decks" [TNG] and "Prime Factors" [VGR] and "Tuvix" [VGR] and "Memorial" [VGR] that pack a punch and make you think as the credits fade to black. And I know everybody always says this, but isn't "The Measure of a Man" [TNG] just about perfect?!

Most likely I'm a Voyager first and foremost, with The Next Generation and Enterprise tied for runner-up. But I'll always watch, and always enjoy, anything Star Trek.

Wow, sorry for rambling on. I really should get back to pretending to do some work!

See you... out there!

Welcome, WayneTech, nice to have someone as outspoken like you on these pages. You've made some interesting points, most of which I'm totally agree with. While it's rare that someone's putting VOY on top and more or less ignores DS9, your general statements about trek's most important meanings and its impact on modern-era pop culture were defined very well. Each of us trekkies probably has their own preferences in the vast and ever growing trek universe, but there is and always will be a common ground for all of us where we can agree upon what's really the core of trek's philosophy. There's a word for this kind of diversity: IDIC!

Welcome, WayneTech, nice to have someone as outspoken like you on these pages. You've made some interesting points, most of which I'm totally agree with. While it's rare that someone's putting VOY on top and more or less ignores DS9, your general statements about trek's most important meanings and its impact on modern-era pop culture were defined very well. Each of us trekkies probably has their own preferences in the vast and ever growing trek universe, but there is and always will be a common ground for all of us where we can agree upon what's really the core of trek's philosophy. There's a word for this kind of diversity: IDIC!
    Many thanks, soundtrekker!

I kinda waded in with my opinions up there, apologies, but thanks for echoing the sentiment of IDIC, something I really try to live by. And that's also the beauty of something as diverse as Star Trek, the diversity and the fact that there's an episode for everybody in the 700+ shows out there. Every member of my family and every friend I know has, at some stage, sat down and enjoyed an episode, even if they can't stand some others that I (or others) adore... or, to put it another way, somebody's gotta love Neelix, right?!

Happy to chat, debate, compare, contrast, discuss, nerd out, etc. about anything Star Trek at any time, and looking forward to taking part in the conversation!

Neg
    Hey WayneTech!!

Voyager all the way!!

Neg
    I Watched Bride of Chaotica! Earlier, I Forgot How Funny This Episode Is LOL

Death Ray!
    Imagizer - Not View Screen
    Lightning Sheild
    Destructo Beam

LOL Typical 30s Sc-Fi!

Brilliant!

SILLY TRIVIA TIME AGAIN:

There's only one music composer for the original Star Trek who is also credited with a score for an episode of TNG.

Can you tell me the specifics?

Mark

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

[in Trelane's high-pitched, annoying childish voice:]

Why? Why just ONE? I want THREE!! Look, I was the ONLY one who knew it! I want THREE! I want them NOW!!

[DEEP BOOMING MALE VOICE:] Come now Trelane, it's bed time.

[DULCET FEMALE VOICE;] And stop pulling the wings off of starships, it isn't nice.

Good night, spoiled prince.

Mark

SILLY TRIVIA TIME AGAIN:

There's only one music composer for the original Star Trek who is also credited with a score for an episode of TNG.

Can you tell me the specifics?

Mark
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.][COLOR="Silver"]
    Well, that's an easy one, for a change, at least for me (ridiculously easy, to be honest!):

Spoiler!

NOW I WANT A HANDFUL OF KLINGONS, BECAUSE I WANNA PLAY WITH THEM AND MY TRIBBLES!

[DEEP BOOMING MALE VOICE:] Come now Trelane, it's bed time.

[DULCET FEMALE VOICE;] And stop pulling the wings off of starships, it isn't nice.

Good night, spoiled prince.

Mark
    No. NO! First I wanna play with my new Klingons. That's not fair! I NEVER had any Klingons before! And the Tribbles have been SOOO boring!
    Last edited by soundtrekker; 07-13-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Neg
    Here Is A Q.

In Your Opinion, What Is The Most Boring Episode (Or The One You Skip When Watching All Through) Of Each Series?

OK, Squire,

One matched set of Klingons coming up. Look under your bed on Christmas Eve. But don't blame me if you lose your eyebrows!

Mr Gold's question about skipped-over episodes:

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Well, after an in-depth consideration of the Third Season of TOS for Marc C's book, much of that season has regrettable moments. But even the worst, "Spock's Brain," has its moments. Seeing ol' whatshername spout on about, "You are neither Morg nor Eye-Morg" gives me all sorts of queasy pleasure.

For my money, that tingle is right up there with "You see? You see? Your stupid minds. Stupid! STUPID!" from Plan 9 from Outer Space.

And I'm pretty sure I haven't even SEEN all of DS9 and hardly any of Enterprise. I'll catch up with them in my vegetative old age I guess.

BTW, what is that finger action going on in your little animation? For both Picard and McCoy, there's a bit in their sequence where for a brief instant either they're waving a dagger in their right hand, unsheathing an instant banana, or ... I don't know!

Hey, what a great name for a 1980s band: Instant Banana!

Mark

Neg
    I Donno Lol Just Random Gifs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gold View Post
    Here Is A Q.

In Your Opinion, What Is The Most Boring Episode (Or The One You Skip When Watching All Through) Of Each Series?
    Awesome dancers, Gold... and good question!

Can't really speak for the original series or Deep Space Nine, as I don't have those on DVD / Blu-Ray and don't watch them through, but for The Next Generation, I usually facepalm at quite a few of the early Season One shows... mostly "Justice" [TNG] which I once saw beautifully described as "Wesley falls in a flower bed and must be put to death. So bad, you'll want to die in a flower bed of your very own." I watched it recently on Blu-Ray and it was only tolerable when Picard and Dr. Crusher had a brief conversation about the weight of the Prime Directive (only for Picard to then completely abandon the Prime Directive ten minutes later). I also cannot stand "Up the Long Ladder" [TNG] from Season Two because at least "Shades of Grey" [TNG] was inoffensively bad, but picking up a whole bunch of racist Irish stereotypes and then turning Riker and Pulaski into cold-blooded murderers really, really gets me angry (doesn't help that Riker and Pulaski are two of my favourite characters, making it an even bigger insult... wouldn't have minded if it were Worf).

There are a handful of Voyager episodes that missed the mark, too. They're the usual answers, like "Threshold" [VGR] for the ridiculous "warp ten turned me into a lizard, so I kidnapped the Captain and mated with her because reasons" storyline (although it did give us the gorgeous Type-9 / Class-2 shuttlecraft) and "Sacred Ground" [VGR] for the "I can see what you're trying to do, but zzzzzzzz..." pacing.

Finally, with regards Enterprise, there's only really one I outright dislike, and that's "Precious Cargo" [ENT]. I don't think a good script could have saved that actress and, likewise, a better actress would still have stumbled over the terrible script. Unfortunately, both were bad, and therefore so was the episode. As a fan of the music and production quality of the show, I was also deeply disappointed in Season Four, when the music started getting synthetic. "Bound" [ENT] and "Daedalus" [ENT] were dragged down even further as a result.

And I've ranted again. Sorry! This is just infinitely more interesting than work.

Quote Originally Posted by chiops View Post
    Opportunity missed by not calling this thread "The Official Star Trek Phase II Thread".

Missed? No Admiral Sparktank has the power to make it so.

Also...

Favorite Trek film composer: Jerry Goldsmith

Favorite Trek televison composer: Dennis McCarthy

Favorite TOS episode: The Doomsday Machine

Favorite TAS episode: The Ambergris Element

Favorite TNG episode: The Inner Light

Favorite DS9 episode: Valiant

Favorite VOY episode: Scorpion

Favorite ENT episode: The Xindi

Last edited by Zoran; 07-15-2015 at 01:34 AM.

i want my own transporter, and i want it now!Or: in 7 days.
    I will move in 7 days.
    Life would be so much easier.... no packing...just beam over all the book shelves.... oh yes, and the rest too.

i want my own transporter, and i want it now!Or: in 7 days.
    I will move in 7 days.
    Life would be so much easier.... no packing...just beam over all the book shelves.... oh yes, and the rest too.
    All the best to you, sorei, and good nerves, for your move. And, maybe Q is watching you and will be gallant enough to drop by next week and do all the work for you with the snap of a finger!

(Trelane won't be aware of your move. Although he's observing Earth, it's of no use to you: wrong century!)

Neg
    All the best to you, sorei, and good nerves, for your move. And, maybe Q is watching you and will be gallant enough to drop by next week and do all the work for you with the snap of a finger! :;
    I Don't Think So!! LOL What About That Live Event With Spock? He Was Gonna Let Us Die With That Meteor.... It's Only That Spock Tricked Him That We Where Saved...

Spock v Q Clasic!

Feeling the need for a transporter as well... or maybe even a holodeck? Then you wouldn't have to go anywhere, you could make places just appear around you.

The only mild inconvenience would be when it malfunctions every three weeks or so, but that's no big deal. Everything has glitches. Just be on guard for ion storms, nebulae, photonic beings, Hirogen, wormholes, black holes and all other kinds of holes, Bynars, sentient characters, energy surges, Kate Pulaski, radiation, infections in the bio-neural circuitry, Seska, androids trying to merge their positronic net with your computer, evil clowns, Reginald Barclay and the handful of other random occurrences that may or may not deactivate the safety protocols and doom you and your entire family to a recycled scrip... er, I mean, "high-stakes dramatic crisis".

Oh, and if you do happen to score a transporter, don't ever transfer your pattern to the holodeck "for safe-keeping". Unless you wanna be a one-eyed Russian assassin. Maybe it's your thing.

Last night I watched "Revulsion" [VGR] which is one of the few episodes that I adore (Leyland Orser as a psychotic hologram... oh hey, missed him in the list above... trying to kill B'Elanna) and loathe ("Hey guys, look, Seven of Nine has bewbs and Harry is our high school kid avatar, hilarity ensues, I promise!") in equal measure.