Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: DMG Sound Series - Game Boy Hardware Soundtrack Rips [FLAC/MP3 320kbps]

GB/FC Real-Hardware Ripper Shugo Takahashi's Avatar

DMG Sound Series - Game Boy Hardware Soundtrack Rips [FLAC/MP3 320kbps]

DMG Sound is a series of soundtracks and compilation albums ripped from real DMG-01 hardware (the original Game Boy model), many for the first time ever. It's much better than emulation! Enjoy, and Play It Loud!

I will always consider requests, but please keep in mind that I already have a lot on my plate as it is.

Extra Information:
    Spoiler!

COMPILATIONS
    Spoiler!

SOUNDTRACKS
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Shugo Takahashi; 09-08-2016 at 02:03 AM.

Shriner
    Bad ass! This is top-quality stuff, people... something to pay attention to for sure. Thank you!

Hey, you're back! Thanks for sharing all this greatness Keep up the good work!

Grand Shriner
    Glad to see you followed up on your idea, hoping to see a rip of Pokémon Puzzle Challenge and TCG2 someday!

Quote Originally Posted by The12thGripper View Post
    Glad to see you followed up on your idea, hoping to see a rip of Pokémon Puzzle Challenge and TCG2 someday!
    Yep, those are in my queue. Pretty much any game featured in the compilations is already in line for a full rip. It just takes time, which I don't have a lot of these days.

Hope everyone enjoys what I have done so far, though. Shantae is next!
    Last edited by Shugo Takahashi; 04-20-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Shriner
    Wow, great! I really like the compilations.

Looking forward to maybe Pokemon GSC, Donkey Kong Land, Kirby 1, and the Zelda games some day maybe

Quote Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
    Wow, great! I really like the compilations.

Looking forward to maybe Pokemon GSC, Donkey Kong Land, Kirby 1, and the Zelda games some day maybe
    Definitely doing GSC; it's one of my favorites. It's just a pretty big soundtrack, so it'll take some time. For the time being, there are some great snippets of it in the compilation albums.
    Last edited by Shugo Takahashi; 04-20-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Can't wait for GSC!!

Thank you.
    I never apologize, Lisa. I'm sorry, but that's how I am ...
    Homer Simpson

Shriner
    Listening through Super Mario Land and Tetris was great fun. I didn't know there were so many fanfare variations

Curious why the Pokemon release is in mono (I think? Unless I'm really bad a detecting the stereo here) and not the Stereo "Earphone 1" option from Yellow version?

Quote Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
    Curious why the Pokemon release is in mono (I think? Unless I'm really bad a detecting the stereo here) and not the Stereo "Earphone 1" option from Yellow version?
    I prefer the mono version. The music was composed to be in mono. The stereo options from Yellow and G/S/C simply separate the sound channels in various ways, which doesn't really do anything for the music. It just puts entire channels on the left or right, and at least for me it's kind of painful to listen to over headphones since the sound is really unbalanced that way. (Ironic, considering it's an "earphone" setting.)

I do have working copies of the stereo sound data from Yellow and G/S/C that I can record from, but it would require an entire second recording session to produce a stereo version. If enough people want it, I may do it at some point. I'd like to get other games out of the way first, though; I have quite a few that I want to do before I start doing requests.
    Last edited by Shugo Takahashi; 04-20-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks a lot!

Good Job and thanks a lot!

Shriner
    Btw just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if you can describe the equipment you use and your process for recording/converting the files, if you're up to it. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Shriner
    Excellent work. Hopefully you'll feel up to a third compilation one day.

Grand Shriner
    Would it be okay if you can please upload the soundtracks to Game & Watch Gallery 2 and Game & Watch Gallery 3?

Quote Originally Posted by XeRo9009 View Post
    Btw just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if you can describe the equipment you use and your process for recording/converting the files, if you're up to it. Thanks again for all your hard work.
    I convert GBS files (ripped GB sound data) into ROMs that play back the music using a program called GBS2GB. I load them onto my Everdrive-GB and record them from my Game Boy plugged into my sound card via 3.5mm cable. Pretty simple setup, though it wasn't possible until the recent Everdrive came out since the converted GBS ROMs didn't play nice with the crappy Chinese flashcarts that used to dominate the market.

However, there is the occasional GBS that isn't ripped correctly, and when converted it causes broken music or broken ROMs. In these cases, I've had to record from the actual game. Annoyingly, it usually ends up being tracks toward the end of the data like credits themes or multiplayer tracks. So I've had to beat a couple games myself and dig out the old link cable, a second system, and another copy of the game. That's happened with Tetris, Super Mario Land, and Metroid II so far. Tetris Attack is partially broken at the end too, so I've been working on a way around it.

Anyway, I record a song in Goldwave for a while so I can listen for when the music loops, then I clip off feedback from the start and fade out the end if necessary. Save as WAV then batch-convert to FLAC and MP3 when I'm ready to release. Then it's just figuring out titles, album order, artists, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimategamer1457 View Post
    Would it be okay if you can please upload the soundtracks to Game & Watch Gallery 2 and Game & Watch Gallery 3?
    They're not fully ripped yet. Soon, though! I love G&WG's music.
    Last edited by Shugo Takahashi; 04-22-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugo Takahashi View Post
    Annoyingly, it usually ends up being tracks toward the end of the data like credits themes or multiplayer tracks. So I've had to beat a couple games myself and dig out the old link cable, a second system, and another copy of the game.
    Since you have an Everdrive, I believe it's possible to download saves (SRAM saves from emulators; not save states), rename them to match the ROM name of the game, put them on the SD card and it should load the save when you boot up the rom AFAIK. Could be a nice shortcut. Game Genie codes are apparently supported too in the Everdrive-GB so there might be codes to jump around to certain points in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by XeRo9009 View Post
    Since you have an Everdrive, I believe it's possible to download saves (SRAM saves from emulators; not save states), rename them to match the ROM name of the game, put them on the SD card and it should load the save when you boot up the rom AFAIK. Could be a nice shortcut. Game Genie codes are apparently supported too in the Everdrive-GB so there might be codes to jump around to certain points in the game.
    I did actually do that with Metroid II. But Super Mario Land doesn't have save games, so I had to do a run-through of it myself for the credits theme, lol. For Tetris, I was just missing the multiplayer stuff so I simply played some games against myself using my real copy.

I actually don't know if EDGB supports GG, but I do have a program that can hard-patch GG codes into ROMs anyway so it's a moot point. I guess I just hadn't considered that route before for music-ripping. Thanks.
    Last edited by Shugo Takahashi; 04-22-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugo Takahashi View Post
    They're not fully ripped yet. Soon, though! I love G&WG's music.
    SAME

SEGA shrine humble monk thenoobisgone's Avatar
    Wow, thanks for these high quality rips.

Can you do Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories for GBC? I can't find the music anywhere!

Grand Shriner
    Do you think you can do the soundtracks to Tetris Attack (GB) and Donkey Kong '94 (GB)?

Had some free time today and got halfway through recording Shantae (21/41 tracks). Next time I get a few hours off, Shantae will be complete! It sounds gorgeous on the DMG. Jake Kaufman's work is always amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by rixen View Post
    Can you do Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories for GBC? I can't find the music anywhere!
    A GBS for it exists, so it's probably possible. I would need a lot of help with tagging and tracklist organization, though, because I've not played that game and apparently an existing rip/soundtrack doesn't exist.

Once I get done with my existing personal queue and move on to requests and games I haven't personally played, I'll probably need to enlist the help of others to tag and sort my rips. That's a ways off, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimategamer1457 View Post
    Do you think you can do the soundtracks to Tetris Attack (GB) and Donkey Kong '94 (GB)?
    Yes and yes. Already in my queue. In fact, I just investigated how I was going to rip Tetris Attack the other day (since the last couple songs in my converted data are corrupt), and I found out that they're easy enough to just rip from the actual game since no sound effects play over them. I'll be needing to beat the game on hard mode myself to obtain the credits theme. Not a problem, though, because I'm good enough at Panel de Pon to take on Bowser. B]
    Last edited by Shugo Takahashi; 04-24-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Grand Shriner
    awesome, keep it up! and thanks