Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DMG Sound Series - Game Boy Hardware Soundtrack Rips [FLAC/MP3 320kbps]

Super Mario Galaxy, WAHOO!!! Moonboy65's Avatar
    what happened to the Shantae gamerip?

GB/FC Real-Hardware Ripper Shugo Takahashi's Avatar
    Hey everyone, sorry for disappearing for a while. My summer was a lot busier than I expected, and then over the past month my limited free time's been devoted to beating a certain open-world stealth game to completion, haha.

My free time is finally opening back up, though, so I'm gonna return to ripping songs soon™. The Shantae rip is already more than half done so that'll still be next, and then I'll move along with my other planned games. I wanted to do it in secret and then reappear heroically with a bunch of content, but the messages have been piling up and I should really say something to confirm that I'm not dead.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbyhammer7 View Post
    Oh, and just an FYI that may make recording easier, in the original Shantae there is a debug mode with a hidden music player.
    Here (for the code and directions): [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Look under, map notes, and it will explain how to open the music player.
    Just a heads up
    Thanks for the tip, but I can't use any music players that play in GBC mode since I'm recording from a regular DMG. No worries, though, because my sound data rip of Shantae appears to play flawlessly on DMG.

(Unlike Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, whose sound data is an absolute fucking mess and I'm probably going to need help identifying and tagging the songs in there that DO work. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.)

Grand Shriner
    About time we get a new member of the "club". We need more real hardware rippers. I know it's really time consuming but it's all worthwhile, no matter how good emulators can be, they can never sound as good as the real thing.
    I do, however, suggest you one thing: use the DMG only for DMG or DMG compatible color games and not GBC-only games (as Shantae is).
    A lot of the music for Game Boy Color games was written using GBC hardware that is slightly different, mostly because of the lack of the VIn pin that allowed for extra sound (although I have no idea what games use it) and the cloning of the sound chip that was not quite right (just like when Sega cloned the SN76489A for the SMS, Genesis and GG). The slight differences in the noise channel make some samples to sound different, sometimes more "hiss-y", others more "bass-y" and certain tone frequencies don't sound quite right.
    The extra CPU power could also mess with the results, although I'm just speculating on this one. Maybe I'm just too purist about it, but is what I have found with the Game Boy hardware, I've got almost them all, the only ones I don't have is the pocket and the GBA micro.

There are also a couple of games that use the SPC chip when played through the Super Game Boy. Which, by the way, is not a good hardware to record GB sound from because of the slightly off clock speed unless it is the Japan-only SGB2 (for the SPC sound, it's OK since it still runs at its normal speed).

Quote Originally Posted by emuxer View Post
    About time we get a new member of the "club". We need more real hardware rippers. I know it's really time consuming but it's all worthwhile, no matter how good emulators can be, they can never sound as good as the real thing.
    I do, however, suggest you one thing: use the DMG only for DMG or DMG compatible color games and not GBC-only games (as Shantae is).
    A lot of the music for Game Boy Color games was written using GBC hardware that is slightly different, mostly because of the lack of the VIn pin that allowed for extra sound (although I have no idea what games use it) and the cloning of the sound chip that was not quite right (just like when Sega cloned the SN76489A for the SMS, Genesis and GG). The slight differences in the noise channel make some samples to sound different, sometimes more "hiss-y", others more "bass-y" and certain tone frequencies don't sound quite right.
    The extra CPU power could also mess with the results, although I'm just speculating on this one. Maybe I'm just too purist about it, but is what I have found with the Game Boy hardware, I've got almost them all, the only ones I don't have is the pocket and the GBA micro.

There are also a couple of games that use the SPC chip when played through the Super Game Boy. Which, by the way, is not a good hardware to record GB sound from because of the slightly off clock speed unless it is the Japan-only SGB2 (for the SPC sound, it's OK since it still runs at its normal speed).
    The reason I don't rip on a real GBC is because without modification, the sound output on GBC is extremely noisy and low-bass. I'm aware that a few GBC games might sound wrong on the DMG, but that's the whole point of this rip collection - that it's all from a DMG. I've only put a few GBC-only soundtracks through the DMG, but so far they all sound great and run at the correct speed.

I also do own an SGB2 and a Super Famicom and am aware of all the hardware differences, but again the SNES/SFC needs modification for clean audio (which I don't have the skill or money for). I'll have to leave "true GBC" and SGB rips to someone else out there.

This is amazing, thank you so much
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by Shugo Takahashi View Post
    Hey everyone, sorry for disappearing for a while. My summer was a lot busier than I expected, and then over the past month my limited free time's been devoted to beating a certain open-world stealth game to completion, haha.
    100% with animals, blueprints, side missions, main missions and all objetives or bust.

Also...

Kept us waiting, huh?
    [Insert a poignant, intelligent signature here.]

I'm just posting this so I can be notified about it.
    "Wait, what's a signature?"

Oh hey, would you look at that. I finally finished some work. Presenting...

Shantae (2002)

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] (MEGA)

EDIT: I had some notes here about some unknown tracks and a broken track, but it turns out all I needed to do to find the answers was to pop the actual game into a GBC and take a look at the sound test that kirbyhammer7 mentioned earlier in the thread. It gave me the titles for the two unknown tracks and confirmed that the "broken" track ("Underground") that I thought was due to a bad conversion is actually just broken in the game itself. I had been comparing it to the [Hidden link. Register to see links.], which comes from Jake Kaufman's site before he took it down. His version clearly has a working percussion track, but the actual in-game copy is just a stuttering mess. Guess they missed that one in testing. It's a minor track anyway, but I'm glad to know my rip isn't "broken". I'll update the files accordingly. I'll put a "(1.1)" on the filename so you know you're downloading the right one.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Shugo Takahashi; 11-09-2015 at 06:01 AM.

Grand Shriner
    Thank you so much for the Shantae soundtrack! Do you think you can do Game & Watch Gallery 2 & 3 and Donkey Kong '94 next?

Quote Originally Posted by ultimategamer1457 View Post
    Thank you so much for the Shantae soundtrack! Do you think you can do Game & Watch Gallery 2 & 3 and Donkey Kong '94 next?
    Hey now, don't spoil my surprise releases!

Game & Watch Gallery 2 (1997)

I was almost done with this one last night, but I had to go to bed. Finished it up before work today. Enjoy!

Grand Shriner
    Nice! Sorry if I spoiled anything. I didn't want to do it on purpose!

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

And if you ever going to do the Donkey Kong '94 soundtrack, I just want to tell you that there is a Super Game Boy version of the credits theme and I have a copy of that song that I can send to you if you ever need it.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimategamer1457 View Post
    Nice! Sorry if I spoiled anything. I didn't want to do it on purpose!

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

And if you ever going to do the Donkey Kong '94 soundtrack, I just want to tell you that there is a Super Game Boy version of the credits theme and I have a copy of that song that I can send to you if you ever need it.
    I was just kidding about the spoiling thing, of course you wouldn't know about a surprise, lol.

I'm aware of the Super Game Boy enhancement to DK94, but like I've said earlier in the thread I wouldn't be able to do an SGB rip without considerable noise since my Super Famicom is unmodded. I mean I could do it anyway just to show you what it sounds like, but the result would be less than perfect.

Grand Shriner
    Well, the only Super Game Boy enhancement of the soundtrack is the credits theme and I managed to find a copy of it. I'll let you listen to it and if the quality is good for you, you can add that version to your Donkey Kong '94 soundtrack (you can record everything else on the Game Boy).

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Oh my gosh YAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS!!!! I hadn't checked this thread in forever, and what's here when I come back? SHANTAE!!!!! Thank you sooooooo much!
    Also, glad I was (sort) of help. I didn't think of the whole non-gbc thing, but I guess it still helped a little in the end. Great to have you back!

Grand Shriner
    I don't want to be annoying, but is the Game & Watch Gallery 3 soundtrack going to be up soon? It's okay if you don't want to do it soon if you are busy with other things.

Thanks a ton for Game & Watch Gallery 2! Very glad to see this is still going.
    (By the way, how do you find the artist names for these? Is it just through credits screens and instruction booklets?)

Onion Kid
    Thank you so much for these rips! They sound amazing!

I have a question too:
    Are you, by chance, planning to do a DMG Sound Series rip of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX too? I'd love to have its soundtrack in the best possible quality!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryl View Post
    Are you, by chance, planning to do a DMG Sound Series rip of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX too? I'd love to have its soundtrack in the best possible quality!
    OH MY GOD, I'd love that! One of THE best Zelda games, in terms of music.

Sorry to ask such a dumb and off-topic question, but how the actual heck do you add photos to posts or albums to your account (Like he does)? The FAQ says, "go to the user control panel and click "photos and albums"" and I do not see that option ANYWHERE. Been struggling with this for a while, so if someone could answer it would be extremely appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Shriner
    Out of curiosity, will Game & Watch Gallery 3 be up soon?

Onion Kid
    Thank you !!!

Is this still a thing?

Onion Kid
    Thanks for sharing.

The Absolute GOD of Hyperdeath! ultramario1998's Avatar
    Yeah. Loving these, I really wouldn't mind more. Hope OP hasn't moved on

Don't worry, I'm still alive. I'm actually going to be resuming work on this soon (Next release will be Pokémon GSC!), but I have college finals to worry about right now. Thanks for the continued interest and support!