Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: "Marvel Cinematic Universe" Discussion Thread

Trying to establish continuity in comics is like trying to nail smoke to the wall.

Gross... just take a framed picture off the wall, you'll see all the nicotine and shit that's been fermenting on the wall over the years.

Shriner
    Movies I thought were the best (so far):

Avengers - I really enjoyed this. I watch it pretty frequently. Can't wait for the next one this May.

Captain America: Winter Soldier - Liked this better than the first one. Scarlett Witch cameo at the end was great. Seems like Winter Soldier may be Cap's side should the character return to the movies.

Guardians Of The Galaxy - Packed with humor and action. Batista was great as Drax. It was probably his best movie role so far. Loved Chris Pratt's portrayal of Star Lord. Groot was as cool as Groot could be. Vin Diesel played him well. And Rocket Raccoon came off a hell of a lot better than I thought as I didn't have much expectations for him. I'm not familiar with Guardians, but have since gotten to reading the comics since enjoying this great movie.

(Unrelated to the Avengers Phase) X-Men: Days of Future Past - The best X-Men film alongside First Class and X2: X-Men United. Enough said. I can see the next one keeping up with the momentum.

Thoughts on some upcoming MCU movies:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - I have high hopes for this one. It's not often that sequels are better than the original. But this may be one of very few exceptions. We'll see seeing new characters (well new to the Avengers films anyway) in Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch, Ultron, and others. Maybe Spiderman too.

Ant Man - Not familiar with Ant Man. I hope it's good.

Captain America 3 - I believe this Cap movie will be called Civil War. With Marvel and Sony coming to terms on Spiderman, he's set to debut in the MCU in this film. I hope Winter Soldier returns. Wonder who the villain will be.

Black Panther - Yes! Many have wanted a Panther movie for years and we're finally getting one. I just hope it lives up to expectations.

Deadpool - It's getting an R rating. Deadpool recently died in the comics.The movie's been in development, I believe for years so hopefully it would have been well worth all the wait.

Doctor Strange - Like Black Panther, fans have wanted a Strange movie and I believe they're on the verge of getting it.

Wolverine 3 - I loved Wolverine 2. IMO, better than the first one. The Extended Cut of Wolverine 2 is even better. I hope Wolverine 3 keeps up the momentum. Hugh Jackman teased that Wolverine 3 will be his last time playing the character (though there's always the chance of a return) so I hope they send him off in a great way.

The Avengers: Infinity Wars - The movie will be divided into 2 parts. If this is it for Th Avenger films, it should go out with a BIG BANG.

Spiderman - Spidey's getting yet another reboot. When Sam Raimi left the franchise, it was the end of the Tobey McGuire Spiderman films although Spidey 3 would have probably been the end of that franchise anyway. Once Marvel and Sony came to terms on Spiderman, it was the end of the Andre Garfield Spiderman films. Amazing Spiderman 2 wasn't great so it may have caused the end of that franchise anyway. But with Marvel now being allowed to have Spiderman in the MCU, they want to reboot the franchise without Andrew citing he's too old to play Peter Parker as Marvel wants to begin he reboot with Peter in high school.

There were reports about films on Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Sinister Six and a Venom spinoff. I don't know the status of those movies. But depending on the cast and story, I'd be interested in seeing them.

nincity15, you seem pretty on top of things in the Marvel Universe. I got into the marvel movies with Avengers, before that the movie like Iron Man were alright but nothing I got excited about. Guardians of the Galaxy was great, the right mixture of action and humor. I can hardly wait for the next episode. I also liked Captain America 2 better than the 1st one which wasn't bad. I really liked the last couple of X-men movies, they seem to be getting better.
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Shriner
    @max_stein:
    Yeah I'm a DC/Marvel guy. Can't pick one over the other, generally speaking. But speaking strictly about superheroes, I'm a Batman guy. Who are your favorite Marvel characters?

Mine:

Good - Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze), Wolverine, Storm, Morph (when he was good), Deadpool, Spiderman, Dr. Strange, Iron Man/War Machine, Thor, Daredevil, and I like Rogue's and Cyclops' power.

Bad - Sentinels (the original TAS look and voice), Magneto, Galactus, Dr. Doom, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister (because of his TAS voice and look) , Venom, Carnage, Dormammu (not sure if I'm spelling that right)

Can't think of any more at the moment.

We've seen so many superhero movies. But we haven't seen any villains get a film except for Catwoman and the upcoming Suicide Squad (both of which are DC properties) though I don't know that they're villains completely. I see them more as a group of anti-heroes. I'd like to see (Marvel) villain movies on Dr. Doom and Galactus for starters focusing on their origins. You seen the new Daredevil show? You should. Way better than the 2003 movie. I very much enjoyed it.

By the way, nice signature quote. I believe what doesn't kill you does make you stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by nincity15 View Post
    Thoughts on some upcoming MCU movies:
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - I have high hopes for this one. It's not often that sequels are better than the original. But this may be one of very few exceptions. We'll see seeing new characters (well new to the Avengers films anyway) in Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch, Ultron, and others. Maybe Spiderman too.
    Chances of seeing Spider-man in this are slim to none as the production was well under way when the Sony-Marvel deal happened. Nobody's even been casted yet.

Captain America 3 - I believe this Cap movie will be called Civil War. With Marvel and Sony coming to terms on Spiderman, he's set to debut in the MCU in this film. I hope Winter Soldier returns. Wonder who the villain will be.
    Prolly Crossbones as they've spent a major portion of CA:TWS introducing us to him. But the movie will most likely focus on the Team Cap vs. Team Iron Man more or less rather than on a traditional 'hero vs. villain' scenario. It'll prolly be up to the audience to pick a side to root for.

Doctor Strange - Like Black Panther, fans have wanted a Strange movie and I believe they're on the verge of getting it.
    They are getting it. It's scheduled for November 4th, 2016. Scott Derrickson directing from a script by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer (rewrites by Jon Spaihts) with Benedict Cumberbatch as the Stephen Strange.

The Avengers: Infinity Wars - The movie will be divided into 2 parts. If this is it for Th Avenger films, it should go out with a BIG BANG.
    This is it for Phase 3 of the MCU. The Avengers will prolly have a different line-up by the end of this one but the Avengers films will continue.

Just a reminder this is how the table stands currently,

Last edited by Helix; 04-10-2015 at 12:13 PM.

// [Hidden link. Register to see links.] //

Shriner
    @Helix:

Thanks for the info and table.

"Chances of seeing Spider-man in this are slim to none as the production was well under way when the Sony-Marvel deal happened. Nobody's even been casted yet."

Agree about Spiderman. He is set to debut in Cap 3 though. There have been casts made for Avengers 2. Of course Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo and Chris Hemsworth will return to their respective superhero roles. ScarJo will reprise Black Widow. I assume Samuel Jackson will return as Nick Fury (the Agents of SHIELD show which takes place in the same universe has me believing Fury's dead. But I think he's just hiding out somewhere.) and Clark Gregg will return as Agent Phil Coulson. I don't know about Jeremy Renner/Hawkeye though. But new to the Avengers films, Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver have been cast. IGN did an interview with the actor and actress who will portray them.

nincity15, I enjoyed marvel/dc comics as a kid but I am really a Star Trek Fan. As a kid, I loved the old Batman series and went to the movie. The new Batman movies are pretty dark so I didn't enjoy them as much. I never got into Spider Man or the Hulk except in the Avengers then Hulk rocked. Magneto is an awesome villain who can also be a good guy at times. I like that in a super villain. I like most of the X men characters, X men 1st class is still my favorite X men movies. After Avengers I liked all the main characters. Didn't enjoy the 1st Thor movie but liked the last one. Captain America Winter Soldier rocked, the 1st Captain America was alright. I think my turning point with really liking Marvel movies was The Avengers after that I felt a connection with Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black widow, Iron Man and Hawkeye.
    Last edited by max_stein; 04-10-2015 at 01:45 PM.

There have been casts made for Avengers 2. Of course Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo and Chris Hemsworth will return to their respective superhero roles. ScarJo will reprise Black Widow. I assume Samuel Jackson will return as Nick Fury (the Agents of SHIELD show which takes place in the same universe has me believing Fury's dead. But I think he's just hiding out somewhere.) and Clark Gregg will return as Agent Phil Coulson. I don't know about Jeremy Renner/Hawkeye though. But new to the Avengers films, Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver have been cast. IGN did an interview with the actor and actress who will portray them.
    I meant casting for the new guy playing Spider-man. Everyone for AoU has not only been casted, they've filmed everything already.

Helix, thanks for posting the table , makes it easier to keep track of all the upcoming movies.

The Dancing Clown pottyaboutpotter1's Avatar
    Apparently rumours heavily suggest Baron Zemo will be the villain in Civil War.
    You'll float too. We all float down here.

Wishlist:
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Complete
    Avengers: Infinity War Complete
    Avengers: Endgame Complete
    The Hobbit Trilogy Complete
    Before I Wake - Danny Elfman Tracks
    Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them Complete
    Dunkirk Expanded/Complete

President of the Official Custom Covers Thread James P.Sullivan's Avatar
    Yes!!! Finally they've seen the light.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenRant
    ...as HitFix‘s Drew McWeeny noted, the [Age of Ultron] score composed by Brian Tyler – and featuring contributions from Danny Elfman - “finally did the great version of the ‘weave their themes together’ score” for Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Silvestri's first Avengers score is great, but I cannot wait to hear this!! Seeing as Tyler did IM3, I'm assuming that's the theme that they'll be using for Tony. Similarly with Thor.
    Complete Score Wishlist

Cars - R. Newman
    The Judge, Adjustment Bureau - T. Newman
    The Commuter - Baños
    S.H.I.E.L.D. - McCreary
    Day After Tomorrow - Kloser
    Witch Mountain - Rabin
    Legend of the Guardians - Hirschfelder
    Maze Runner 1-3 - Paesano

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
    Baron Zemo

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    "Untitled Batman Movie", year unknown.

It better be 2017, liked immediately with BvsS.
    Ben Affleck is old.

They're going to have to recast again very soon.
    They should get all the Batman actors to appear in that untitled movie.
    Let them all be supervillains in Arkham Asylum.

Official Shrine Grinch TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
    Zemo was an old enemy of Captain America from WWII, who was in the original comics. And he died a violent death several issues later anyway.

It made sense then because it had only been about a couple decades since the war. But it's been, what, over 70 years since WWII by now, so I can't see how they'd be able to claim Zemo is an old enemy of Cap's in the film.

Maybe he'll just be a Hydra scientist with no connection to Cap at all.

It is Hollywood, anything can happen!

Shriner
    @Helix:

Yeah true Avengers 2 is coming out next month so filming is probably done or close to it. But yeah the new Spiderman film has a way to go before cast, crew, release date is set. Considering he's set to debut in Cap 3which is coming out May 6 next year, they'll focus on casting him soon. Freddie Highmore (Norman Bates from Bates Motel) has stated he wants to play Peter Parker. I don't know. I think he may be too associated with the Norman Bates role since the show's in its 3rd season now and people really like him in that role. That doesn't mean he'll be a bad Peter Parker so I'm not knocking him. But Peter cannot be close to being Norman Bates like obviously, even of the Venom symbiote turned him into the black Spiderman like it did to Tobey's Peter Parker in Sam Raimi's Spiderman 3.

@The Sparktank 2.1:

I love Batman. But a new Bat movie in 2017 IMO is too soon. Batman Begins came out in 2005. Before that the last Bat film was Batman & Robin in 1997. That's a nine year gap. The Nolan trilogy ended in 2012. Another Bat movie in 2017 is only a 5 year gap. I get Batman needs his own movie to build him up for the Justice League film. But I rather they wait on a new Batman movie and focus on having solo movies on some of the other Justice League members and/or villains. Again, just my opinion.

If they are going to do a Batman movie, I want them to resurrect the live action Batman Beyond movie that was planned, but ultimately abandoned. Not really a fan of a high school teenage Batman, but....or a Robin and Nightwing solo movies.

I know Wonder Woman and Flash are getting solo films. Superman had one with Man of Steel. That's 3 (with Batman, it's 4) solo movies on JL members, which I'm guessing will be 6-8 members in the JL movie. Captain Marvel's getting one but I don't know if he's going to be part of the JL team. Green Lantern might be though and I think they're planning a movie on him. I'd want a movie on Hawkgirl and Arrow. If Amell won't be The Arrow in the movie and he sated he preferred working on the TV show over an Arrow movie, then Josh Harnett who I believe played Green Arrow in Smallville should be Arrow in the movie. He was great although I find Amell to be the best live action Arrow.

Ok enough about DC. This is a Marvel thread. I am creating a DC thread so the conversation could continue there.

@max_stein:

Star Trek...I liked Deep Space Nine and Voyager. They were good. But I didn't get into Star Trek until The Next Generation which I think is still the best. I stopped after Voyager. But I like the two movies that came out recently and am awaiting the third. Also awaiting Star Wars because I'm curious how they will follow Return of The Jedi, especially with the villain factor. But this is a conversation best continued on a Star Trek/Star Wars thread.

Hulk...the Ed Norton movie was better than the Eric Bana one from 2003. But I think Mark Ruffalo's the best Hulk/Banner. They really should so a Hulk movie with him. A Nick Fury movie and one on Black Widow would be nice too. I agree about Magneto. I like Mystique's shape shifting abilities.

Ok enough about DC. This is a Marvel thread. I am creating a DC thread so the conversation could continue there.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Casting Ben Affleck was like casting Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark.

RDJ is getting too old now, and showing it.
    Hugh Jackman is getting too old for Wolverine and showing it.

When MR was cast for Banner in Avengers, he was great.
    But old.
    Just the very short clip post-credits in Iron Man 3, you can see MR appearing much older than everyone else.

If Affleck does Batman in 2020, he's going to be grandpa Batman.

Affleck, RDJ and MR can start a new Expendables trilogy in 2020.
    That's their future.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Star Trek...

Ok enough about Star Trek. This is a Marvel thread.

Shriner
    ]@TheSkeletonMan939:

Oh thanks for the link to to the DC thread.

@Thesparktank 2.1:

Casting Affleck is like casting Downey Jr....I agree because when Robert was cast as Iron Man, people felt he wasn't a good fit. But he proved them wrong. They were all over the Affleck casting, even posting online petitions to change the casting before he even portrayed the character.

RDJ, Jackman getting old....don't care. They can still pull it off as they've proven. If it looks that's the issue, technology allows them to look younger than they actually are. I don't know who else would best fit those roles. No one looks like Stark and Logan more than RDJ and Jackman nor do I think anyone will surpass their portrayals, especially Jackman. The last time I saw Ruffalo was Avengers 1. He's done some things since then I'm sure. Just haven't seen him. He looked young to me in Avengers, but that was 2012. No idea what he looks like now. But despite his age, he's the best Hulk/Banner until someone can top him.

I don't know if Affleck is gonna do Batman in 2020. No one does. He may feel he's too old at that time. If they ever did a Batman Beyond movie, I think Keaton would be the best Bruce Wayne because he's older than Bale and Affleck. 2020 is still years away. There's so much to focus on right now. The world will worry about 2020 later. Right now, no point.

Speaking of Batman, I know video game movies usually suck. I still think Mortal Kombat (1995) is the best one. But I want to see them adapt Injustice: Gods Among Us and the Arkham series including Knight into live action movies.

President of the Official Custom Covers Thread James P.Sullivan's Avatar
    RDJ is Iron Man/Stark. He and the suit are one.

Marvel will never be able to find another actor to portray Tony. Yes, RDJ's done other movies, but he will forever be remembered first and foremost as the real-life Tony Stark.

nincity15, DS9 is my favorite after TOS, I am currently watching Voyager season 5. I didn't get to see much of Voyager or Enterprise when they came out so they both are pretty new to me. I picked up both series. I watch several episodes a night. Except for a break to watch Hobbit 3 I been watching Voyager every night. I also like the new Star Trek movies, they did a good job picking out actors. I saw the 1st Star Wars movie in German in 1978 and have been a fan ever sense. Mystique is beautiful even in blue.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

James P Sullivan, I totally agree with you, RDJ is Iron Man and lets face it with a suit like his even an 80 year old great grand father can be a super hero

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]. But I'm still hoping for at least a cameo in Civil War.

They're putting him back in high school again. Why? I'm kind of sick of seeing him in high school. Is it because it makes him seem young and inexperienced?

After the ASM franchise I'd much rather see Peter take a gap year between high school and college so that he can focus on taking care of his aunt and, well, being Spider-Man. That way you eliminate the school setting but still keep him a young guy. But I still trust Marvel will do a good job.

Sounds good and crappy at the same time.

I agree, they need to cut the cord with that character now.
    I'm getting tired of "origin" stories. I've seen so many bloody origin stories on Spider-Man, he's gotten nowhere in film.
    And he's going nowhere again.

What a disappointment.

Prolly waste the entire movie going through the school bullying, the pretty girl and the death of an uncle all over again.

I must admit this gap year idea sounds great. Weird how TASM's writers couldn't see it.

There has been chatter about them going the comic route which if they follow, should mean Spider-man's identity being revealed during the Civil War movie. Now that would change things for a standalone Spider Man movie especially if it chronologically follows Cap 3 instead of occurring before it.

Oh god. I forgot about the uncle...
    Took over an hour for him to die in TAS...

I love Martin Sheen. But, come on, already! We have a story to move along.
    The uncle in 2002 was completely forgettable and not a valid storyline to push Parker to be Spider-Man.
    Not even to defend his useless aunt that's never in the movie for anything besides making pancakes.

I think they should twist it and kill both of them.
    Let him be completely on his own.
    And let James Franco adopt him.
    Only to find out Franco is the millionaire bad guy who learns his lesson too late, dies and gives everything to Parker so he can be the Bruce Wayne of Spider-Man.